Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009

Cavauro posted:

xpw closed down in 2003

It relaunched in 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cavauro posted:

xpw closed down in 2003

For some reason Rob Black relaunched it last year.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i thought the stuff on that video was fake.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

He got the tie wrong on the brother love cosplay

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

DDT's rookies continue to come ready right out of the gate

https://twitter.com/nambasanreacts/status/1584013481124454400

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

this is what happens when you are an indie dipshit and you listen to the old guys giving backstage advice about any reaction being a good reaction and it's not 1970's wrestling anymore

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Atlantisssssssssssssssssssss

https://twitter.com/Atlantis_CMLL/status/1584225126597287936

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1583959915428618241

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

they really shouldn't let tyrus tweet on their official account

kinetic77
Jun 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/chandrantheman/status/1583918651282886656?s=46&t=7dSmdHhwIJxa-4MqVm4LCw

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gotta go with team Andre. Dude flipped a car once when annoyed

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The answer is always Haku

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

can't remember who said it off the top of my head, but they said they'd only take on haku with a tank and a gun. the gun is there so if they fail to kill him with the tank then they could off themselves before he gets his hands on them.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Joey McChrist posted:

can't remember who said it off the top of my head, but they said they'd only take on haku with a tank and a gun. the gun is there so if they fail to kill him with the tank then they could off themselves before he gets his hands on them.

That was Jake Roberts, I think.

Edit: yup

"If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away, he's mine, right? Well the first thing I'm going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don't want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is Bobby Lashley known to be a good fighter?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Granted Maeda destroying Andre happened when he was broken down but the general feeling I've gotten is that Andre's tough guy rep was more do to his size and not being actually a good fighter. The story of him backing down from Bad News Allen when he called him out on New Japan bus cause Andre was being racist kinda of backs this up

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

My takeaway from this thread: Nobody in Japan knew that you are supposed to gimmick tables until the late 00's. (That, or Homicide was cursed whenever table spots came up.)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Shard posted:

15-2 MMA record, though I know nothing about the quality of his opponents

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 23, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shard posted:

He's not. He has a god awful gas tank and he's only beaten cans, and has gotten into trouble against cans a weight class beneath him. He could probably be a guy on undercards in the UFC since heavyweight is so bad but he's not good.

His two MMA losses are to James Thompson (the greatest fighter in history and I miss his #1 fan) and Chad Griggs (a light heavyweight who isn't particularly good.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 23, 2022

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Granted Maeda destroying Andre happened when he was broken down but the general feeling I've gotten is that Andre's tough guy rep was more do to his size and not being actually a good fighter. The story of him backing down from Bad News Allen when he called him out on New Japan bus cause Andre was being racist kinda of backs this up

Andre didn't train for shootfighting and didn't work out either, so yeah it was all about his size and strength, plus him being pretty nimble when he was young. Bad News even said in a shoot that he was really relieved when Andre didn't want to fight him and apologized instead.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Lesner, Andre, and Shamrock is the most powerful trios team

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

My takeaway from this thread: Nobody in Japan knew that you are supposed to gimmick tables until the late 00's. (That, or Homicide was cursed whenever table spots came up.)

Japanese tables are notoriously stiff workers to this day

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Suplex Liberace posted:

Lesner, Andre, and Shamrock is the most powerful trios team

Shamrock was legit as hell in his prime.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

MassRafTer posted:

His two MMA losses are to James Thompson (the greatest fighter in history and I miss his #1 fan) and Chad Griggs (a light heavyweight who isn't particularly good.)

Man, I miss the James Thompson who existed before the brain trauma caught up to him and turned into a hyper conservative lunatic. His old blog was good reading, and I know people who knew him in the 00s who said he was a completely different dude then.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shard posted:

Gotta go with team Andre. Dude flipped a car once when annoyed

Bobby Heenan said the only men Andre was afraid of were Harley Race and Haku. (and he was probably afraid of Race because he was always known to be carrying a gun)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

CombineThresher posted:

Andre didn't train for shootfighting and didn't work out either, so yeah it was all about his size and strength, plus him being pretty nimble when he was young. Bad News even said in a shoot that he was really relieved when Andre didn't want to fight him and apologized instead.

Another time, in the ‘70s, Andre was holding court at a beach-front bar in the Carolinas, boozing it up with fellow wrestlers Blackjack Mulligan, Dick Murdoch, and the inimitable Ric Flair. They’d been drinking with gusto for hours when Flair goaded Mulligan and Murdoch into some slap-boxing with Andre, who had poured over 60 beers down his gullet. One of the two “accidentally” sucker-punched Andre. The Giant became enraged, grabbed both Mulligan (6’5”, 250 lbs.) and Murdoch (6’3”, 240 lbs.) and dragged them into the ocean, one in each hand, where he proceeded to hold them under water. Flair intervened, and Andre released the men, assuring them he was only playing around. Murdoch and Mulligan, who had nearly drowned, weren’t so sure, but neither messed with Andre the Giant again. They also picked up the tab.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lumbermouth posted:

That was Jake Roberts, I think.

Edit: yup

"If I had a gun and was sitting inside a tank with one shell left and Meng is 300 yards away, he's mine, right? Well the first thing I'm going to do is jump out of the tank and shoot myself because I don't want to wound that son of a bitch and have him pissed off at me."

Yep. My wife is from Hawaii, and for as much as she jokes about her homeland, she gets very serious when the topic of Samoans comes up. "NO ONE jokes about Samoans in Hawaii. No one." She said that she heard the sounds of a fight outside once, and she peeked out...saw a huge muscular dude with a pipe running for his life, being chased by a bloodied Samoan guy screaming "TODAY IS THE DAY YOU DIE!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I kinda love that Meng never really had any big aspirations. He seemed totally fine being a mid card brute.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

his destiny in sumo was stolen from him, so he became a merc. or his destiny was made when his dream was stolen. not sure what wa sstolen

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

whatever happened to the james thompson trains with me poster

was he the same one that gave us the infamous sexual market value rant or am I mixing two weirdos

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s time to bring back Brock vs Meng shoot fight discourse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Please enjoy 30 seconds of Kurt Angle throwing Rey Mysterio around like a sandbag.
https://twitter.com/vintagepuro/status/1584166289207341056

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Orange Carlisle posted:

was he the same one that gave us the infamous sexual market value rant or am I mixing two weirdos

The SMV poster was some no name who appeared utterly randomly in a GDT to complain about women fighters with tattoos, then proceeded to dig himself deeper when everyone said yes tattoos in MMA so what, and then went full psycho and never posted again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yep. My wife is from Hawaii, and for as much as she jokes about her homeland, she gets very serious when the topic of Samoans comes up. "NO ONE jokes about Samoans in Hawaii. No one." She said that she heard the sounds of a fight outside once, and she peeked out...saw a huge muscular dude with a pipe running for his life, being chased by a bloodied Samoan guy screaming "TODAY IS THE DAY YOU DIE!"

My college recruited football players heavily from Samoan communities, which was pretty rude when they'd all end up in the shittiest dorm in the middle of a Montana winter, which had its fire alarms pulled at least once a weekend for most of the school year. Those of us who were used to the cold started grabbing an extra blanket as we were being evacuated, because inevitably one or two of the Samoan dudes would show up under dressed, and we'd have to keep them comfortable until the fire department cleared the building for re-entry.

Also saw one of them show up for a lecture class, realize he was too big for the desks, and grab both a right handed and left handed desk, which he Tetris'd onto either side of him so he had something almost big enough.

I hope those dudes are doing okay now.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Apparently there's enough of a Samoan community in Oceanside, CA for my brother to have witnessed something similar and come to the same conclusion: never pick a fight with a Samoan.

Lid posted:

Andre story in which he schools Blackjack Mulligan and Dick Murdoch

I never said Andre was a wimp, he just wasn't a shooter in the traditional sense and didn't make an effort to stay in shape as he got older.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Meng is Tongan so you will need to ask her again.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Throw Harley Race in there just being an ornery son-of-a-bitch and this'll be a fun a fight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Orange Carlisle posted:

The James Thompson poster was willie_dee, he still crops up here and there but doesn't hang out quite as much I assume half because he's less into the sport and half because he started eating occasional probes for being weird about trans people, victims of police violence and the Romani.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

MassRafTer posted:

Meng is Tongan so you will need to ask her again.

Speaking of Tongan wrestlers, I always wondered how Barbarian managed to avoid the requisite savage islander stereotype gimmick during his first WWF run, but not his second. After Powers of Pain he was a medieval Germanic gimmick, then he left for a while and came back as a Headshrinker. Was the latter some kind of punishment for going back to WCW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

CombineThresher posted:

I never said Andre was a wimp, he just wasn't a shooter in the traditional sense and didn't make an effort to stay in shape as he got older.

That's why the question is peak Andre. It's this guy fighting.

My money is on Brock, Shamrock and the loving giant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!