Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've come to the realization that Jodie Whittaker can make ANY outfit work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The "cya around" better mean RTD has plans for more of her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

When Tegan dropped, I expected her to have kept that parachute or something but she just.... fell a very long way and was fine? Did she just make sure to fall in a different way to 4?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

What about the unconverted soldiers......?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Remember when it was Jodies first episode and implied shed be the engineering doctor, building, adapting and fixing stuff? We'll they finally remembered that idea for her final episode.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Poor Ryan doesn't even merit an onscreen appearance in an episode where they've brought literally everybody back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Remember when it was Jodies first episode and implied shed be the engineering doctor, building, adapting and fixing stuff? We'll they finally remembered that idea for her final episode.

Yeah, I really wish they'd leaned into that. Closest we ever got was her waxing lyrical about that ship engine.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I swear to god if they don’t loving kiss…

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

13: I want more time.

Yeah :smith:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TinTower posted:

I swear to god if they don’t loving kiss…

Man, I feel pretty bad for Yaz. The Doctor is completely unable to reciprocate.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Where the gently caress has this chibnall been for the last 5 years?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Graham: Sorry Ryan, I have a new grandson now, his name's Dan and we're very happy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MEL! IAN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HANG ON A loving SECOND!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm annoyed we got Tennant instead of the actual new doctor, but the rest of that was... Actually good? Like self indulgent and fan servicey, with far too much going on, but as a fan I will absolutely allow it.

ETA: Also, why did his clothes change? Half the fun is seeing the new doctor in a costume sized for the old.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

15 seconds and RTD has already completely upended EVERYTHING :lol:

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Buml0r posted:

Chap Masputin was talking to just now, I recognise him. It's not the oldest boy from lion the witch and the wardrobe is it?

Edit: Richard Dempsey, I'm thinking of. I'll keep a beady eye on the credits

THANK YOU, yes it was, I rule

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There was a bunch of weird little inconsistencies and stuff that didn't make sense (the world was VERY blase about everything going on, passersby on the street seemed utterly unbothered by that building collapsing etc) but it largely didn't matter because that was glorious stupid fun and wildly overindulgent in the best way. In short...

SiKboy posted:

Where the gently caress has this chibnall been for the last 5 years?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I’m not joking, four years of queerbaiting ending up leading to less than loving Castiel Gets Sent To Superhell knocked this episode down from a decent 7/10 to 3/10, I’m that annoyed.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Seeing Ian there made my eyes go a bit moist, I'll admit. He must be the oldest surviving actor to've appeared in both the original and modern series, surely? That's incredible when you think about it.

Did anyone not think it was going to be Tennant she regenerated into? It is annoying, but I'm just going "Yeah, okay" at this point.

Thank gently caress there was no mention of the Timeless Child, I hope it's just never brought up again.

Maelstache fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 23, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Maelstache posted:

Did anyone not think it was going to be Tennant she regenerated into?

I didn't think that, there was no reason to expect that? I know he's in the 60th special next year but I just assumed it was because 14 was going to bump into him on an adventure. I was fully expecting to see Ncuti Gatwa at the end of this episode.

Maelstache posted:

Thank gently caress there was no mention of the Timeless Child, I hope it's just never brought up again.

Seriously. Just consign it to the dustbin of history (13 already did that!) where it belongs, just like the Brain of Morbius nonsense should have continued to be left alone.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That was....pretty decent! Whittaker got chances to shine, as did Sacha Dhawan. The old characters were well integrated, and we didn't have any timeless child nonsense.

William Russell is 98 years old, but looks about 75.

Only two issues I had were Dan being written out at the start of the episode, no real resolution to the Time Lords plot thread, and Ace's dialogue contradicting her Big Finish stories, and I think that book Aldred wrote, but I never read it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't think that, there was no reason to expect that? I know he's in the 60th special next year but I just assumed it was because 14 was going to bump into him on an adventure. I was fully expecting to see Ncuti Gatwa at the end of this episode.

I mean, technically...

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's interesting, I'm ever so pleased - I'd come to think it was just a known thing that she was regenerating into Tennant and that all the fans would be like "yeah yeah" because we've known for so long. I guess I "knew" wrong, if recognisable posters in this thread didn't know about it!

(wait, so how did I know about it?)

HEY THAT EPISODE WAS REALLY GOOD AND WE'RE BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS IN HERE. My wife had completely dropped the series by mid Chib2, and I had to make a proper Arrangement for her to watch it with me tonight (we watched something of hers that I've been avoiding with our lunch), and I'm so glad we did because she was going through the tissues. What a great episode.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think it was an open secret that Tennant isn't the playing the 10th Doctor, but a incarnation that has been messed with.

I guess Tom Baker wasn't up for a day of filming for the mindscape scene, but he already got his moment in Day of the Doctor, so at least the others got the spotlight this time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Buml0r posted:

Oh that's interesting, I'm ever so pleased - I'd come to think it was just a known thing that she was regenerating into Tennant and that all the fans would be like "yeah yeah" because we've known for so long. I guess I "knew" wrong, if recognisable posters in this thread didn't know about it!

(wait, so how did I know about it?)

To be fair, apart from this thread, the only exposure I get to Doctor Who in my life is watching episodes and listening to Big Finish. Maybe it was plastered all over youtubes channels or in the news or something? Or maybe it was in the spoilers thread, which I don't read?

Buml0r posted:

HEY THAT EPISODE WAS REALLY GOOD AND WE'RE BOUNCING OFF THE WALLS IN HERE. My wife had completely dropped the series by mid Chib2, and I had to make a proper Arrangement for her to watch it with me tonight (we watched something of hers that I've been avoiding with our lunch), and I'm so glad we did because she was going through the tissues. What a great episode.

Yeah, Chibnall/Whittaker went out on a high note which was a huge relief. Also holy gently caress the Master was absolutely incredible in this episode, that moment when the Dalek and the Cybermen turn to look at each other when he's dancing to Russia's Greatest Love Machine was :discourse:

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

JoylessJester posted:

The regeneration scene will be some variation of 13 morphing briefly into Ncuti Gatwa before bursting into David Tennant's face and him going "wHAt?... What?"

So close! Didn't think they'd just shove Ncuti into a trailer.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, apart from this thread, the only exposure I get to Doctor Who in my life is watching episodes and listening to Big Finish. Maybe it was plastered all over youtubes channels or in the news or something? Or maybe it was in the spoilers thread, which I don't read?

Same, but I've just realised where I heard it - it wasn't even on the internet, it was in a conversation at a nerd con, which means it's probably a good job I didn't say anything about it before! Turns out I had insider info!

Did anyone catch the excellent bit in the end credits?

"And introducing David Tennant as The Doctor"

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Right off the start, the line "Do you know what's happening in 1916 right now?" gave me such a headache

Other than that, stupid as all hell but a lot more fun and engaging than most of what we've had these past few years. Mostly explosions and references, but mostly the fun kinds of both. There's something Sawardian about Chibnall's handling of the Cybermen that I just don't like, but Dhawan's Master gets better every time (I really hope he stays on as the Ainley of the 2020s). And it really is nice to see all the old faces back, even if just for a few quick cameos. Off the top of my head, I think Polly was pretty much the only one who was missing of the old companions whose actors are alive and the character isn't dead or not on present-day Earth (though by that count Mel shouldn't be there - I guess things didn't work out with Glitz.)

Too bad Colin didn't get to wear his costume when everyone else did. The Master should have worn the coat, at the very least.

Much as I hated the Timeless Child stuff, I would have liked to get some closure on the Fugitive Doctor. I guess whatever happened in Flux that I've already forgotten is all there is to tell. Seems like a pretty big thread to introduce and never make much of, but whatever, I guess that's Chibnall in a nutshell.

I didn't have high hopes for his era to begin with, but it really has been rough going - not just in terms of individual episodes and bigger arcs, but for the character of the Doctor too. Whittaker has been so grossly underserved by the writing every step of the way. The performance was there, but that only goes so far. I'm sorry to see her go, but at this point it's best to just clear the table and get someone completely new in as a showrunner and a whole new Doctor and start completely fresh and wHAT

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Master as Rasputin though, who even comes up with stuff like that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Buml0r posted:

Did anyone catch the excellent bit in the end credits?

"And introducing David Tennant as The Doctor"

I hope RTD just continues to have a whale of a time :allears:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Alright, that was a lot of fun.

Could the energy alien have just done that all along, though?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you watched only Chibnall's first and last episodes of this run, you could easily be fooled into thinking he knew what he was doing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Here are some(a great many) MP4s (with audio) for The Power of the Doctor:

These last ones behind spoiler tags just to be on the safe side:

Great episode, wonderful ending for Whittaker and I wish Chibnall could have done more like this during his run. Highlight of a very good episode for me was:

https://i.imgur.com/AwoHQGi.mp4

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I haven't read the thread yet to catch up but I'm up to the regeneration scene now and this episode was a total chaotic mess that subordinated every plot point to making it as fun as possible and that's all I ever asked from this show.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was enjoyable.
Although I'm a bit confused why they wrote Yaz and the Doctor parting the way they did. It was like "I'm regenerating so you have to gently caress off now". Its not like companions have never carried over before.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok I was shocked by the ending. I thought all of the rumours about that were just shitposts.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That was fun

I had fun with that

God drat, it's been a while since we had fun Doctor Who on screen

Hot drat

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Sounds like its a good regeneration story and beats Matt Smith's regeneration story which absolutely sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Smith's regeneration story was fine, Capaldi's was purest garbage though