Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
For reference, likely similar or some previous iteration on what is flying now.

https://twitter.com/mhmiranusa/status/1424907856369827843?s=20&t=NX1c0D1TJ8pSKP1SdIpzlg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah as I said, there are prewar articles of them being supposed to have various sensor and seeker packages but what I've seen of actually captured examples they had nothing of the sort. So right off the bat that would limit what frontline targets they can even begin to hope to engage. Re: them being a solved problem soon, I sure hope so. I guess it depends on what navigation (inertial, GPS) they use and what happens when you mess with the GPS, otherwise you'd have to shoot them all, which would mean they continue to be a pain and tie down a lot of AD systems. Or you hit the launchers obvs.

Yeah 'solved' in the sense that they still require resources to deal with. Maybe some non-conventional way of dealing with them is found, but the basis of the response currently seems to be giving Ukraine the ability to shoot them down. Hopefully other efforts are successful sooner than later.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:nws: Ukrainian armored column runs head first into a Russian convoy heading the other way

https://twitter.com/DemeryUK/status/1584011464167202816?s=20&t=hyKO17QnYjJE3e_No7Ubbg

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

pain in the rear end for now, I suspect that they're going to be a solved issue pretty quickly. you seen any reports of the suicide drones getting used successfully anywhere near the front? because I haven't

I've read that Russia is targeting the Ukrainian power grid with them, actually.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh wonderful: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-europe-think-tanks-business-deb83a49c24736928a010b0a449f308c

Yes, I'm sure the Ukrainians are going to salt their own land with Co-60.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh wonderful: https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-putin-europe-think-tanks-business-deb83a49c24736928a010b0a449f308c

The plot will accidentally contaminate Chernobyl!......again.....

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1584228652434137089?s=20&t=gmbGKNJGgAnkuUt_j0v5wg

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Quackles posted:

I've read that Russia is targeting the Ukrainian power grid with them, actually.

Yes, did you read the full sentence? they're hitting targets in the rear away from where most of Ukraine's AA systems are. Shahed's have been conspicuously ineffective anywhere near the front line

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Yes, did you read the full sentence? they're hitting targets in the rear away from where most of Ukraine's AA systems are. Shahed's have been conspicuously ineffective anywhere near the front line

Yeah the plan seems to be "step 1: inflict mass suffering on civilians step 2: . . . . step 3: win war"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

lmao I guess this means Russia is actively planning to crack open either Chernobyl or Zaporozhye.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Always prudent to pre-message one of your nuclear weapons failing to properly detonate

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Still lolling at early invasion Russian troops digging trenches around Chernobyl.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the Su-25 videos are his, but the Su-34, Mi-24 and -28 videos he posts are from others.

Also, evidently *another* Sukhoi has crashed into a residential area, this time in Siberia: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/23/russian-fighter-jet-crashes-siberia-killing-two-crew-members

"Andrei, you've lost a-NOTHER sub Sukhoi?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Still lolling at early invasion Russian troops digging trenches around Chernobyl.

Chernoatse

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I've been wondering how they'd deploy the nuke, if they use one. Putting one on a Kalibr / Iskander etc would mean that it has a p decent chance of being shot down. And I don't think that there's a real good target for a nuke arty shell. Imagine Ukraine displaying the remains of a nuke they sifted out of some Kalibr wreckage. Hell, imagine being the guy who finds that. "Man I wonder what this hollow metal half-sphere is."

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1584320615942537216

Lol when your new weapons supplier has beef with someone else

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I agree. They aren't hitting the front line - they're targeting comparatively unguarded infrastructure.

Think it'll have a major effect?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

Anybody know who this belongs to? Does Ukraine have Su-25s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkT7Q5EHOAc

Apparently this happened over Belgorod.

In Russia.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...50.833!4d37.037

Word is that the pilot had his vertical stabilizer sliced off by a power line.

https://twitter.com/rubenhofs/status/1584291375297986562

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
That alfalfa looks comfy

Quackles posted:

Yeah, I agree. They aren't hitting the front line - they're targeting comparatively unguarded infrastructure.

Think it'll have a major effect?

They're absolutely targeting the front line, too, they just aren't having any effect there because they're loud, slow, and big and therefor easily detected and intercepted.

As a whole the big question is how quickly better air defenses take to get in place but they're an eminently solvable problem with currently existing systems and they seem to have lit a particular fire under everyone's asses to get Ukraine better AA coverage. I think it's certainly had an effect on Ukrainian utilities, but it's also generated a ton of PR blowback that's going to result in Ukraine ending up with even better air defenses.

It appears that they've made pretty quick progress with improving their response, but idk we'll have to wait and see

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 24, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A.o.D. posted:

Apparently this happened over Belgorod.

In Russia.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...50.833!4d37.037

Word is that the pilot had his vertical stabilizer sliced off by a power line.

https://twitter.com/rubenhofs/status/1584291375297986562

I really have to wonder about that pilot.

“Whelp, I just crashed a multi-million dollar war machine in a somewhat embarrassing collision in home territory and just barely managed to punch out in time to survive, and my superiors are probably going to rip my rear end to shreds for this.

…but my helmet cam is still running so boy have I got a sweet vid I can post to the ‘gram!”

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Always impressive in these how the guy goes from fighter pilot going hundreds of knots to pedestrian stranded in a field in literally ten seconds flat. That's gotta be bewildering.

e: the russians currently sure seem to be producing a shitload of plane crashes

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

vuk83 posted:

Anti drone why not some modernised flak? Fusing a 75-90mm shell would be cheaper, and also with the required range?

Heavy AAA was for shooting down high altitude bombers. It would be incredibly hard to get a 90mm AA gun that is mobile, fast firing, and can counter the angular velocity of fast, nimble drones inside of 500 meters.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Ah, they've solved how to make a long range shotgun.

That's actually a really old shell design. Shrapnel shells were adopted in 1803

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrapnel_shell

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tomn posted:

I really have to wonder about that pilot.

“Whelp, I just crashed a multi-million dollar war machine in a somewhat embarrassing collision in home territory and just barely managed to punch out in time to survive, and my superiors are probably going to rip my rear end to shreds for this.

…but my helmet cam is still running so boy have I got a sweet vid I can post to the ‘gram!”

Previous videos like this were released by Russian MoD (most memorably the KA-52 shootdown at Gostomel airport where the pilot ends up disembarking after crash landing into a field). FB sure seems to be basically an arm of the Russian airforce and I'd just treat anything they're releasing as Russian MoD approved.

As to why would they post a shootdown or crash? seems like they might be trying to release footage showing that crashing or getting shot down is no big deal you land in comfy field of alfalfa and radio for help. Would make sense after a rough couple weeks of their planes falling out of the sky for all manner of reasons

Pure speculation: I wonder if Russian aviation is developing a refusenik/morale problem

aphid_licker posted:

Always impressive in these how the guy goes from fighter pilot going hundreds of knots to pedestrian stranded in a field in literally ten seconds flat. That's gotta be bewildering.

life the ground comes at you fast

yeah it's wild, I can't begin to imagine

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 24, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

PookBear posted:

That's actually a really old shell design. Shrapnel shells were adopted in 1803

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrapnel_shell

If anything it's like the variable timed fuse of the 5 inch shells the US used for anti aircraft work in WWII.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

aphid_licker posted:

:nsallears:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A.o.D. posted:

If anything it's like the variable timed fuse of the 5 inch shells the US used for anti aircraft work in WWII.

Yeah the smarter bit is that the ranging solution can be programmed individually on each shell at a rate of several hundred rounds a minute.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Tomn posted:

Russia is currently a lot more short of pilots than they are of planes. He gets shouted at and then he gets given a new plane.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PookBear posted:

Heavy AAA was for shooting down high altitude bombers. It would be incredibly hard to get a 90mm AA gun that is mobile, fast firing, and can counter the angular velocity of fast, nimble drones inside of 500 meters.

There are a lot of different drones in use. Not all of them, and likely not the ones you really care about, are nimble little quad copters.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Murgos posted:

There are a lot of different drones in use. Not all of them, and likely not the ones you really care about, are nimble little quad copters.

As an example to this point, there was footage of craft like these being flown earlier in the conflict. (I believe one set of videos were near an apartment block, and its entirely possible/probable I saw them in this thread)

Relatively inexpensive, only a few thousand dollars each (about 5k usd unit cost?) from china. Plastic and foam bodies, 8kg payload (some can handle substantially more) but not particularly fast compared to the wee ones, I believe the pictured one was electric but I did see some gas models when I was looking several months back (thought about equipping one with Lidar and other sensors in order to map a valley) and some of those will cruise at 75mph, all depends on the configuration and size.

e:
This is the domestic Raybird 3

https://www.defensehere.com/en/ukranian-skyeton-develops-light-surveillance-drone-capable-of-24-hour-flight

kupachek fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 24, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Oh man that nytimes article where they interviewed a Ukrainian expert at the site was bizarre, just baffled at the Russians unforced error of digging in one of the worst spots on earth.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Russia is currently a lot more short of pilots than they are of planes. He gets shouted at and then he gets given a new plane.

Seems similar to US in the Pacific War after homefront production reached absurd levels, when so many new planes were arriving that those with minor damage would be pushed aside. With the exception that the US was winning the war.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

just baffled at the Russians unforced error of digging in one of the worst spots on earth.

Their maps were pre-1986.

Murgos posted:

Heavy AAA is not coming back.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Xakura posted:

Their maps were pre-1986.

Also their education is curated so as not to include any embarrassing moments like the battle of Tsushima, the Holodomor, or Chernobyl.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/jmkorhonen/status/1584434044028473345?s=20&t=yNnyqBj4ursGYRmRcVkZkg

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A quick glance at the Wikipedia page suggests it's still widely used by former Soviet countries. Kind of like how the US still uses the M2.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Xakura posted:

I’m not saying it is. I am saying that not all drones are zipping around at 500 meters range. That there are actually some really important drones in what is essentially the flight profile of a WWII bomber.

Bayraktar Tb2 for example.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

aphid_licker posted:

Its always nuts watching how fast the system can take you away from the aircraft.
Dudes probably in a state of shock for a little bit. Ejectings a big never do unless you have to.
Even if it gets you out and alive you could be looking at spinal injuries.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Xakura posted:

Why not? In a drone heavy future cheap radar programmable shot is much more cost effective than $$$$$ small missiles. I'd figure we'd have a next gen M777 replacement that can point upwards with smart fusing for both Excalibur rounds and heavy AAA rounds. Meanwhile the smart bushmasters (40mm or 30mm?) seem to be coming along nicely for both anti-infantry and anti-drone.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Why not? In a drone heavy future cheap radar programmable shot is much more cost effective than $$$$$ small missiles. I'd figure we'd have a next gen M777 replacement that can point upwards with smart fusing for both Excalibur rounds and heavy AAA rounds. Meanwhile the smart bushmasters (40mm or 30mm?) seem to be coming along nicely for both anti-infantry and anti-drone.

Because procurement is based on what can give the best profit to Raytheon, not what is most cost effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

M_Gargantua posted:

Why not? In a drone heavy future cheap radar programmable shot is much more cost effective than $$$$$ small missiles. I'd figure we'd have a next gen M777 replacement that can point upwards with smart fusing for both Excalibur rounds and heavy AAA rounds.

Time of flight. Shooting AAA at a target 30k feet up can be defeated by making lazy turns.

Also the mount for a 155mm AA gun(!) is going to be radically different than for an arty piece that only needs to fire (mostly) forwards.

M_Gargantua posted:

Meanwhile the smart bushmasters (40mm or 30mm?) seem to be coming along nicely for both anti-infantry and anti-drone.

I'm specifically not talking about light/medium AAA, which is going to be placed on every vehicle imaginable like it's the 30s and I have surplus M2s.