Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Played through Faith Chapter 1 in the Steam release today and got the fifth ending, haven't played it since it came out and haven't played chapter 2/3 at all. I love the rotoscoped animations and the voices are perfect for the game. Probably going to try and get all the notes/secrets if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I mean it's not spelled out explicitly but it seems pretty obvious by the end of Scorn that almost everyone is dead or horrifically mutated because the flesh constructs went haywire and the few survivors have either hooked their brains up to the neural network or gone through whatever that portal at the very end was, that life for most beings was not terribly valuable, and there must've been some kind of aristocracy-priest caste since there's an immaculate, ornate temple. That isn't clear until Act V but it's quite clear at that point. The details certainly aren't spelled out, of course; I thought that perhaps they were seeking to escape physical form to escape the monstrosities, not that the monstrosities were their own constructs evolving out of control because they had already abandoned the physical plane, and the purpose of each location is not really clear beyond transportation nodes, the first is a mine/supply depot of some kind, and the last is a temple

I also hope they never, ever make a sequel because I think the story is perfect as-is

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 23, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just posted this elsewhere but after finishing Madison i've decided i'm sick of jumpscares that come with ear-splitting BWAAAAA sounds

Love Sam had some of the best jumpscares i've experienced, and you know what accompanied them? silence. at best you got a single sfx to really prime yourself for the worst

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

just posted this elsewhere but after finishing Madison i've decided i'm sick of jumpscares that come with ear-splitting BWAAAAA sounds

to paraphrase from elsewhere: horror trying to scare you with loud noises and visual startles is the equivalent of a comedian trying to make you laugh by tickling you

at this point audibly obnoxious jumpscares mostly just take me completely out of the horror, like it's such an overdone bit of nonsense that my immediate response isn't "sincere terror" but "saying 'gently caress you' to the monitor"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vermain posted:

to paraphrase from elsewhere: horror trying to scare you with loud noises and visual startles is the equivalent of a comedian trying to make you laugh by tickling you

at this point audibly obnoxious jumpscares mostly just take me completely out of the horror, like it's such an overdone bit of nonsense that my immediate response isn't "sincere terror" but "saying 'gently caress you' to the monitor"

my reaction has basically crossed into john wolfe's sigh-and-eyeroll every time

this is in contrast to Madison's last act, where the Scary Thing is a) actually out to getcha, and b) has semi-defined rules for when it appears. that had me sweating way more than a glorified JPEG smashing me in the face every third time i walked down a hallway

come to think of it, that's another reason Love Sam was so effective - since so much of it took place in a single room, the jumpscares were triggered by more significant events than mere traversal. the diary entries forced you into tunnel vision and built up your dread of what'd happen as soon as you looked up from the book

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

When talking about scorn I don't think enough people talk about the dick sucking machine

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

When talking about scorn I don't think enough people talk about the dick sucking machine

it loses a lot of its punch when you get there by ascending the staircase that's flanked by statues of dudes riding giant biomechanical cocks

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

hemale in pain posted:

It's a Giger-world; I was actually surprised that there wasn't more explicit biomechanical sex scenes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I started reading Umineko to get ready for Silent Hill f.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
resident evil re:verse is here and it's a real piece of poo poo

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
good thing the same folks are making silent hill f

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I started reading Umineko to get ready for Silent Hill f.

As a nonbiased observer I applaud this action

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The hidden agenda that both Capcom and Konami had behind both RE and SH revivals is pretty hillarious

Capcom executives really want Resident Evil to be turned itno a multiplayer COD killer. This is evident going back as far as RE6 and especially with both Resident Evil:Operation Racoon City and Umbrella Chronicles in the interim (Both flopped). They rushed out RE3 remake thinking the bundled Multiplayer game REsistance would be a big hit but it floppped instantly and now they are rolling out the red carpet for REverse. I don't understand why they can't just focus on making excellent single player narrative driven horror games. The sales numbers are there! Do they really think a multiplayer Resident Evil is going to make them more money? They really think they are going to make Resident Evil a big multiplayer game that can compete with Fortnite and Call of Duty?

Konami on the other hand they are smart enough to know the money isnt in squad based multiplayer shooters....the REAL money is in movie tie-ins. They literally say in the middle of the SH transmission the only reason they are reviving silent hill and greenligthing games is because a new movie is moving forward. Couple that with Bad Robot and J.J.Abrams interested in using the SH license for their dumb interactive thing and Konami kicked things into overdrive for a slice of that hollywood money.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Noob Saibot posted:

Konami on the other hand they are smart enough to know the money isnt in squad based multiplayer shooters....the REAL money is in movie tie-ins.

Only because they already tried and failed at the tacked on multiplayer in games like MGSV and Survive. Even to the point only releasing a demo for the MP part of the game, despite it being almost exclusively post game and completely different from the rest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, RE3 was a bit problematic in scope, but as someone who has never once considered touching RE multiplayer, I have no idea where the idea of Capcom not cranking out high quality single player Resident Evil campaigns is coming from. Like, that's kinda what they've been doing since reworking the franchise with 7?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
From my TL, Resident Evil is about hot humans fighting hot humans that tf into monsters (also hot)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Noob Saibot posted:

The hidden agenda that both Capcom and Konami had behind both RE and SH revivals is pretty hillarious

Capcom executives really want Resident Evil to be turned itno a multiplayer COD killer. This is evident going back as far as RE6 and especially with both Resident Evil:Operation Racoon City and Umbrella Chronicles in the interim (Both flopped). They rushed out RE3 remake thinking the bundled Multiplayer game REsistance would be a big hit but it floppped instantly and now they are rolling out the red carpet for REverse. I don't understand why they can't just focus on making excellent single player narrative driven horror games. The sales numbers are there! Do they really think a multiplayer Resident Evil is going to make them more money? They really think they are going to make Resident Evil a big multiplayer game that can compete with Fortnite and Call of Duty?

Konami on the other hand they are smart enough to know the money isnt in squad based multiplayer shooters....the REAL money is in movie tie-ins. They literally say in the middle of the SH transmission the only reason they are reviving silent hill and greenligthing games is because a new movie is moving forward. Couple that with Bad Robot and J.J.Abrams interested in using the SH license for their dumb interactive thing and Konami kicked things into overdrive for a slice of that hollywood money.

Resident Evil games since 7 have been highly acclaimed single player games though? The only dip in quality really was 3, but that's not so much because 3 was bad as it was a little too short and didn't offer much in the way of replay value. I do feel it's silly how Capcom waste resources on multiplayer RE games released for free alongside these single player games when the only multiplayer RE game people want is a remake of the Outbreak games.

Jury's out on Silent Hill. I don't really have much faith in Bloober Team's remake until proven otherwise, but Townsfall and F look like they might be cool.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

There is a demand for multiplayer Resident Evil, it's just not a demand for competitive multiplayer Resident Evil. 5 and 6 both sold well, despite everything, and there's an ever present (if small) call for the return of Outbreak. People do want to shoot zombies and hunters with their buds, but Capcom keeps putting out PvP focused spinoffs because...I dunno, someone high-up thinks they can beat Dead By Daylight?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

Consider the following theoretical moneyprinter:

Resident Evil multiplayer gacha.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tallgeese posted:

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

Consider the following theoretical moneyprinter:

Resident Evil multiplayer gacha.

Limited 6* Chris Redfield (RE1 FMV Ver.)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BisbyWorl posted:

Limited 6* Chris Redfield (RE1 FMV Ver.)

I laugh at anyone who would not burn all their Biocoins on the inevitable Swimsuit Mr. X.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Crowetron posted:

There is a demand for multiplayer Resident Evil, it's just not a demand for competitive multiplayer Resident Evil. 5 and 6 both sold well, despite everything, and there's an ever present (if small) call for the return of Outbreak. People do want to shoot zombies and hunters with their buds, but Capcom keeps putting out PvP focused spinoffs because...I dunno, someone high-up thinks they can beat Dead By Daylight?

Good point, even I would be interested in an RE outbreak revival or something like it. However not as a substitute for the main games, if it was additive as an additional title then great. I just don’t understand capcoms obsession with pvp.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You only need one to hit it big then you can ride the gravy train for a bit.

Anyway they've been making a bunch of great single player REs as well so who cares.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

You only need one to hit it big then you can ride the gravy train for a bit.

Anyway they've been making a bunch of great single player REs as well so who cares.

Who cares is capcom execs who could change the agenda at any moment!

The single player games are good because they are getting funded and the dev teams are passionate to make them but what happens when the execs get frustrated that REverse isn’t catching on and try to green light a 4 player squad based military shooter resident evil next? I lived through the late 00s/2010s I’ve seen how fast the gaming industry can go south with bad business decisions

Right now we are in a renaissance period and I want to keep that going for as long as possible

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

I genuinely think you are writing capcom c-suite fanfic here dude

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
They should just remake outbreak by now if they want multiplayer resident evil

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Capcom should chase that Nioh and Souls money and make coop Onimusha.

Disclaimer I never finished Onimusha because gently caress unskippable cutscenes and instant death times puzzles

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 24, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

They should just remake outbreak by now if they want multiplayer resident evil

Yeah, I think the idea that "multiplayer RE" is something new and not something Capcom has been chasing since the moment multiplayer was a possibility is a bit silly. They've been trying co-op and competitive multiplayer for a long time. Sometimes it works out really well, sometimes it doesn't. It is just part of the franchise.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Noob Saibot posted:

what happens when the execs get frustrated that REverse isn’t catching on and try to green light a 4 player squad based military shooter resident evil next?

I don't think this is going to happen because they already did it twice and it failed miserably both times. Now Re:Verse is probably going to fail yet again. If anything it just means they're gonna keep remaking poo poo until that stops being successful.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Vermain posted:

it loses a lot of its punch when you get there by ascending the staircase that's flanked by statues of dudes riding giant biomechanical cocks

I liked the guys riding a massive biomechanical cock but I gotta be honest I found the really straight forward statues having sex all over the place a bit too obvious. I know giger was always super explicit with how his art was a dick, a naked lady or a vagina buuuut like come on artist for scorn! If you wanna do death+sex it can be a tiny bit more subtle.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Capcom are never going to put RE on ice the way Konami did with Silent Hill, so I think you just have to accept that the quality and focus of what they’re doing is going to be super variable. Coming off a stretch of releases like 7, RE2:R and Village and ending up with REverse is entirely on brand.

I want to see an alternative world where fans are clamouring for a Resident Evil comeback that’s been absent since Code Veronica, to save us from the endless Silent Hill 2 ports and weird “100 James Sunderland’s drive to a haunted town” battle royale spin offs.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I appreciate Capcom trying new things out with RE because I've seen too many series grow stale because they fear innovation. If I buy the occasional dud then oh well, my lifetime record with RE is pretty high still.

The weird thing is that Capcom really doesn't need to innovate if they want to tap into multiplayer dollars. They make Monster Hunter. You're telling me a 1-4 player scenario based co op pve game with RE setting wouldn't sell? With loadouts and gear kits so players can be big gunners, steady gunners, sniper gunners, wacky set up gunners, big melee, fast melee(Wesker-blooded red eye cat dash fighters), support debuff, support healing, area lockdown/trappers..

So you split between scenarios like "explore this place and find the Tyrant/Boss and have a spectacular fight" and maybe shake it up with things like "explore this place and flee from a semi invincible stalker trying to wear it down" or "hide and seek with bigger game enemies like hunters" or "zombie horde, huge horde, holdout fight like Carlos in RE3R."

I think one of the phenomenally lovely spin off games was like that already(1-4 squad mates, something something Umbrella or Raccoon City in the name) but they could give it another try vs these goofy pvp ideas. I'm sure the IPs are done by different teams but same company, they can't have the MH guys show them some design docs?

"So you bring back Outbreak ideas but make it good instead of competing with Dead by Daylight..."
"Ohhhh."

Then again the stories you head about game devs and Japanese management philosophy and I assume somebody in charge at Capcom has been bashing their vision into spinoff design for awhile. At least the single player games are rock solid since RE7.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Operation Raccoon City was a good fun time. It wasn't a good Re game though. But I would dust it off and play again

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Part of the issue is that most of the easy wins with the series have already been done in other games. You want asymmetrical multiplayer with hordes of zombies and some specials that are player controlled? Why, you're just ripping off L4D. You want one big monster like Nemesis and four people working together to kill it? Ring ring it's Dead By Daylight (or more accurately Evolve). You just want to stick to basic zeds and have you plow through hordes of them? Well now there just isn't much of a challenge.

It's just hard to translate the RE formula without going full House Of The Dead "sixty zeds on the screen at once" action mode. Even one extra person tends to break the tension of the zombies so you have to do a lot to bring it back when even more are involved.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

no choice but to tap the truly untapped market: a standard resident evil game but you play it with three other players

maybe some cool levels like a zoo or the fall of the rpd or something

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Turn RE1 into a 4 player multiplayer game but change nothing about the items or level design. Make everyone share everything, including the one knife.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've got to disagree, RE5 is almost universally referred to as "a good co-op game with a friend and middling solo", and Outbreak tapped things just right. There's space to have multiple people and keep tension, especially as RE5 did it with a lot of RE4s bonafide classics, particularly enemy aggression, level design and stand out enemies(chainsaws, giant bugs, though they're all mostly the same autokill tanky threat that forces movement.)

I'm fine with ripping off L4D. L4D2 is thirteen years old(pause for most of us to wince and acknowledge the unrelenting cruelty of time) and Back 4 Blood isn't exactly dominating the space. Vermintide has carved a very comfortable and quality niche out of it. There are other games that wonderfully follow suit or are similar like Deep Rock Galactic. All of them manage tension excellently. The real question is if that is RE style tension, which tends to be slower and more methodical to match intentional player limitations.

And to beat the drum again MonHun sometimes gets the same criticism where the monster has to split attention but the majority of monsters will casually bowl through multiple people who play poorly, the main difference being you learn to recognize when they use single target focus without severe collateral damage risk.

Also your DbD comparison is off as there's a huge difference between 1v4 with an invincible 1 and without. Evolve is more apt and.. eh. Maybe REvolve could be good. Evolve did flounder a lot due to content issues and some questionable dev choices vs the actual game being terrible.

I think there's room for an Outbreak remaster, or Outbreak 3, at least. I think it'd be an easy win for Capcom and maybe they'll get that if Verse bombs too. I mean the advances in internet capabilities and hosting alone... add in some replayability addictive bits like account/character progression to unlock new stats, abilities, cosmetics and guns, multiple difficulties and some modifiers and some flexibility in the campaign on spawns and events. I can see it because other games have helped frame the appeal of what works, and I suppose they try that in the RE multiplayer games that fail.. but poo poo. All anyone wants is Mercs and Outbreak with friends.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 24, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

To be clear I'm not saying you can't make a L4D or DbD style game, I mean Vermintide is Warhammer For Dead and it kicks rear end. I was just saying that large publishers are often afraid of being seen with properties that are too close in design to other games.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hemale in pain posted:

im glad your mom got to star in a video game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

CharlestonJew posted:

im glad your mom got to star in a video game

:drat: