Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ThinkTank posted:

yup, they had a triple jersey toss at the home opener and the crowd booed the guy they signed to a 7 year extension (that doesn't kick in until next year) last month.

The crowd booed basically everything in the third period. It was awesome (for Buffalo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1584268215554740224?s=20&t=Jk9kNHzhNxrYmqO0se8w9A

Guess that means Blueger is still out for a bit

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Caggiula was decent enough in preseason. Wonder with Poulin coming up if it means Guentzel is going to be a bit longer term too.....I was actually wondering wtf with Ruhwedel playing and went to go check and it turns out they were running 7 D against CBJ. Even with that Letang played nearly 23:30 and Dumo 20+. Very interestingly (and something I brought up before) Pettersson has moved from playing 16:30 per in 2020/21 and then a low of 15:40 last year to 18:20 so far this year. 16 flat for Dumo, Pettersson, and Petry at 5v5 with the uptick in Petterson's ice time being PK.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gotta admit, even getting the backup treatment, I wasn't sure how the CBJ would do against the Rags after playing well for 40 but imploding last night, but Daniil Tarasov's finally gonna get his first career win. :toot:

I think it's the second CBJ goalie in a row to get their first win against the NYR on the road, with the last being Matiss Kivlenieks. :rip:

Also, :lol:, Erik Gudbranson scored.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 24, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Caggiula was decent enough in preseason. Wonder with Poulin coming up if it means Guentzel is going to be a bit longer term too.....I was actually wondering wtf with Ruhwedel playing and went to go check and it turns out they were running 7 D against CBJ. Even with that Letang played nearly 23:30 and Dumo 20+. Very interestingly (and something I brought up before) Pettersson has moved from playing 16:30 per in 2020/21 and then a low of 15:40 last year to 18:20 so far this year. 16 flat for Dumo, Pettersson, and Petry at 5v5 with the uptick in Petterson's ice time being PK.

Will be interesting to see if they play Poulin or go with Caggiula first.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

He might not if he goes to NJ

Not sure what the price tag would be, probably a whole lot.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

Will be interesting to see if they play Poulin or go with Caggiula first.

I would be shocked if it wasn't Caggiula tbh. Depends which hole in the line up they're trying to fill as well.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gotta admit, even getting the backup treatment, I wasn't sure how the CBJ would do against the Rags after playing well for 40 but imploding last night, but Daniil Tarasov's finally gonna get his first career win. :toot:

I think it's the second CBJ goalie in a row to get their first win against the NYR on the road, with the last being Matiss Kivlenieks. :rip:

Also, :lol:, Erik Gudbranson scored.

Rangers showed a lot of weaknesses in this game, with Halak giving up some soft goals, Reaves and Carpenter continuing to not look like NHL players, and the Jones-Schneider pairing struggling. The young defensemen will improve, but the 37-year-old goalie and depth players in their 30s won't. Chytil getting hurt (day-to-day) hurts their forward depth. Vesey was a healthy scratch so he'll draw into the lineup, but I'm curious to see some of the guys in Hartford get a look. Rydahl looked better than Carpenter in preseason, so perhaps we'll get a look at him, or Will Cuylle who is tied for second in scoring in Hartford, behind defenseman Matthew Robertson, who has four assists in three games after putting up 11 points in 65 games last year as a rookie.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 24, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/animalsofhockey/status/1584317687257178113?t=_FDEprf7EfdzZkC9KHCqRA&s=19

Aggressive goalies own and I want to see it more often

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

Rangers showed a lot of weaknesses in this game, with Halak giving up some soft goals, Reaves and Carpenter continuing to not look like NHL players, and the Jones-Schneider pairing struggling. The young defensemen will improve, but the 37-year-old goalie and depth players in their 30s won't. Chytil getting hurt (day-to-day) hurts their forward depth. Vesey was a healthy scratch so he'll draw into the lineup, but I'm curious to see some of the guys in Hartford get a look. Rydahl looked better than Carpenter in preseason, so perhaps we'll get a look at him, or Will Cuylle who is tied for second in scoring in Hartford, behind defenseman Matthew Robertson, who has four assists in three games after putting up 11 points in 65 games last year as a rookie.

Yeah, but the picture of Reaves punching Marcus Foligno is incredible and worth Reaves playing this season (in NY).

I don’t blame you for wishing he’d not make the lineup most nights.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Me too, cause Gibson got a double minor here to Erne's minor and the Wings scored 15 seconds into the PP

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Love to see it.

Also every time I see Caggiulas name, that rewrite of the Dragula lyrics somebody posted in here years(?) ago instantly pops into my head even i can only remember the last bit

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Flyers lost to the Sharks tonight. Perhaps more importantly, Torts benched TK and Hayes for the entire 3rd period!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Man somebody show that twitter guy some clips of Hextall and Barrasso

e: Hextall had 100 PIM a year his first few years. That would put you in the top 10 in the league now. Barrasso would get up around 70, approximately 64 of which were from two-handed chops to the balls of guys that bumped him in the crease.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 24, 2022

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHallNBCS/status/1584363443703848960?t=-v6LDJOA9ZBxGMN2n_-sfQ&s=19

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hextall was so much god damned fun to watch

Favorite player by far lol

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
i have school writing practice journals from kindergarten that say "Ron Hextall is my favourite player I like to see him get mad"

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha that rules

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Isentropy posted:

Sean McIndoe was right that the loser point sucks because it makes teams that really should blow it up try to fight for the 8 seed

The worst thing is it doesn't even work that way! Yes the teams are closer in points, but it makes the point gaps even harder to overcome. The only people who get fooled by the standings are peabrained idiots who are only capable of understanding whole numbers. So, GMs and owners.

Like, if there was no loser point, a bad team could still finish the season on an 8-2 run and leapfrog a bunch of teams. There's more hope of that than being 5 points out and needing four other teams to lose every game in regulation

The Canucks are starting to give me hope again though. Maybe they really can be bad enough for long enough to slip into the lottery. Even though I still know they'll finish 21st overall. I would bet on that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The SJ broadcast said that was the Sharks' first third period goal of the season too.

Good job being generous, Flyers.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Keep throwing those jerseys folks. My expectations for this team were a lot lower than most but drat even I didn't think we'd be getting to a jersey toss this year, let alone in the sixth game.

I like how they always trot out the "but think how long it will take!" excuse as if we've thoroughly enjoyed what we've watched in past decade. They've tanked the franchise's value in a time of sky rocketing growth through this approach. At least from a self interested approach you'd think they'd try something else? Seems like Ottawa fans are having fun idk.

God, Bedard is a year away from being in the NHL and likely his best ever memory of being a canucks fan is the bubble. Jesus Christ.

If there was a magic button that said "make the Canucks worse than the expansion Capitals for 4 seasons, and make them as good as NYR is now in year 5" I would smash it immediately.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Show this to anybody

https://youtu.be/Z8_wrJpRDaU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

fisting by many posted:

The worst thing is it doesn't even work that way! Yes the teams are closer in points, but it makes the point gaps even harder to overcome. The only people who get fooled by the standings are peabrained idiots who are only capable of understanding whole numbers. So, GMs and owners.

And the vast majority of fans

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Gibson is gonna end up murdering an opposing player if the team keeps going like this. This road trip has been absolutely awful to watch.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/after-jerseys-thrown-canucks-feel-fan-frustrations-its-something-that-hits-home/

quote:

"My jersey got thrown on the ice last year and I'll never forget that for as long as I play," Canuck captain Bo Horvat recalled. "It's something that hits home, and when you see it again happening this year, it definitely sucks. But I understand their frustration.
"We haven't really given them much to cheer about. It's been a lot of years in the rebuild stage and. . . at this point in the season, it just feels like it's never going to happen, like we’re never going to win again."

so hey, going great in Vancouver folks

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/canucks/comments/ybwhck/i_saw_jt_miller_at_the_farm_i_work_at_today/

Fans are being pretty classy.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
It’s all fun and games when it happens to Sbisa, but now we’ve gone too far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1584540098368094209

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1584540588967444480

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1584541177948274688

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1584543882582310914

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm so glad we have fancystats analysts to tell us that everything that happens in hockey is caused by goaltending. Don't know how we'd get by without 'em

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I blame Curtis Lazar, any team that dresses him as a regular forward is destined to fail.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Also TSN has odds to win the division on their standings page now and I hate it... gambling is just loving everywhere

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the amount of teams that can survive runs with bad goaltending is a slim list. Colorado, Toronto...those kinds of teams. I don't think even someone like Pittsburgh would do that well with terrible goaltending and might be in danger of missing a playoff spot if it was bad enough.

Toronto clearly can because they did it last season.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Vancouvers problem is that elite goaltending was the only reason this wasn’t happening last year. It’s not like Tyler Myers and OEL being loving pylons is a new thing. Only before they had too-tier goaltending to hide the fact that the entire defense is a dumpster fire. Demko is regressing slightly and it’s showing all of the flaws that were always there, he just kept the team out of trouble before.

Edit: I just realized I don’t know if Tyler Myers is a d-man. He might not be but he stays in the example.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm so glad we have fancystats analysts to tell us that everything that happens in hockey is caused by goaltending. Don't know how we'd get by without 'em

We'd rely on the non-fancy stats. They'd even creep into the eye test when you're two dozen goals against deep in video and there's still more to watch, and you remember they've only played six games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fancystats are for nerds

Additionally, what is the deal with airline peanuts?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I’m here for Micah posting the chart that says the Leafs should have more points in the standings because their goaltending (just Samsonov) has been better than expected, and then later posting his projection chart that says the Leafs will miss the playoffs because it hates their goaltending so much.

yes I know it’s 6 games and overall meaningless

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Lavy loving hates young skill guys, I do not understand it

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1584571372667568129

Just send McMichael back to the AHL already. Let the dude play somewhere.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The McMichael situation is weird, he’s clearly not going to play if those 4 centres are healthy, why not send him down to Hershey to play 1st line minutes?

Washington is going to be interesting to watch over the next couple seasons. Second oldest team in the league with 9 players hitting UFA next summer. Every single defenseman on the team besides Carlson’ contract ends after this year lol

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chad Sexington posted:

Lavy loving hates young skill guys, I do not understand it

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1584571372667568129

Just send McMichael back to the AHL already. Let the dude play somewhere.

Holtz-McMichael mini game at the end of the first period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Fire Lavy