Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

aers posted:

Yeah it's just flat out wrong and was flat out wrong last time it spread in the community

it's my favorite bit of misinformation to spread and I'll retweet it every time I see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hyper Inferno posted:

The most dissonant damage type vs. animation is probably Phoenix's Revelation buster in T12. The animation is a giant pillar of flame, and yet it's physical damage. The reasoning makes sense because Paladins in ARR couldn't block magical attacks and Bulwark was an important CD in their suite back then (and Foresight to a lesser extent) but it's still funny.

Given the rather dire issues some other jobs had with surviving damage in Coils, I'm not entirely convinced that the reason for Revalation being phys had anything to do with PLD's kit. Unless they were doting on PLD even harder than I thought they were back then.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mild curiosity about the role quests in shadowbringers. Doing the DPS one right now involving an old hunter. Do the other role quests similarly involve other members of that party of old?

I guess I'm just curious if anything is different in the story later if you get all the quests done. Disclaimer: I will probably not get all the quests done before I complete the MSQ. Just wanna know if there's any differences down the road.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

All the role quests are about members of that group, and when they’re all completed it opens up a special ‘capstone’ quest chain about that story.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Shinjobi posted:

Mild curiosity about the role quests in shadowbringers. Doing the DPS one right now involving an old hunter. Do the other role quests similarly involve other members of that party of old?

I guess I'm just curious if anything is different in the story later if you get all the quests done. Disclaimer: I will probably not get all the quests done before I complete the MSQ. Just wanna know if there's any differences down the road.

yeah, the MSQ has some callbacks to the SB capstone if you complete it

edit: actually now I can't remember if the MSQ does, the Eden plotline definitely does though, and the MSQ almost certainly will in the future

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 24, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i wouldn't press pause on continuing with the MSQ just to get alt jobs leveled and those role quests completed, but I do think it's one of the best reasons for NG+ to exist if you ever want to see those MSQ changes. I think there's a list out there of quests that change based on having completed other quest chains?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cool. There was a tiny voice in my head that suggested leveling two other jobs, and then I laughed out loud and buried that voice. Just wanted to know. Good to know as well that there is good reason down the road to getting all the quests done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's four role quests, not three. Tank, physical DPS, magic DPS, and healer.

That said, you can get magic dps and healer leveled at the same time via summoner/scholar.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shinjobi posted:

Cool. There was a tiny voice in my head that suggested leveling two other jobs, and then I laughed out loud and buried that voice. Just wanted to know. Good to know as well that there is good reason down the road to getting all the quests done.

the one thing I'd generally advise people in terms of doing things during MSQ is I *would* make an effort to either queue for or have someone carry you through the raid quest chains per expansion (just because they've got some great story and do a lot to flesh out certain parts of what's happening in the world, and sometimes they're directly related to later quest chains)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh I'm mostly on top of raids. Working through Omega and still need to start the FFT one, but everything else I've gone through on normal.

I'll leave the savage poo poo for way later

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Shinjobi posted:

Oh I'm mostly on top of raids. Working through Omega and still need to start the FFT one, but everything else I've gone through on normal.

I'll leave the savage poo poo for way later

yeah, the savage stuff you can wait on, though the challenge instances do tend to have their own extra phases that are worth youtubing at least once you've finished the main instance

meant it more as general advice, since you'd clearly gone through crystal tower already :v

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Endorph posted:

There's four role quests, not three. Tank, physical DPS, magic DPS, and healer.

That said, you can get magic dps and healer leveled at the same time via summoner/scholar.

Oh good, I was wondering if physical was split into melee/ranged and I'd need to level a bard or dancer. Good to know my build of Every Mage Ever, Samurai, Ninja, and Paladin is okay for full story viewing.

Meanwhile, "Meffrid cannot help but wonder if you remember who he is." My WoL sweats and surreptitiously pulls out a tomestone. I think he's part of the party in Gridania that couldn't get medicine because Barky the Tree Dog said so. *checks* Ah, yep.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

Oh good, I was wondering if physical was split into melee/ranged and I'd need to level a bard or dancer. Good to know my build of Every Mage Ever, Samurai, Ninja, and Paladin is okay for full story viewing.

Endwalker role quests do.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, you'll need a phys ranged for EW role quests, but Dancer starts at 60 and should be pretty easy to grind up if you just want to do the content.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

HackensackBackpack posted:

I never knew this!

You can see it in the ShB trailer :v:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It also helps than Dancer owns

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

started my second EW relic and man the sword/shield are exactly what the PLD AF needed. the weapon set you get from the AF feel a bit too small for the fully-armored tank look EW goes for.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My FC had a Halloween party yesterday. Figured I might show off some photos of the event.

If you're looking for a spot to take some Halloween gpose shots, the house my wife and I have has been fully decorated (by her, I can't decorate for poo poo) for Halloween. In the upstairs, there are four themed "photobooth" areas as well. The address is Mist, Ward 22, Plot 5 on Excalibur.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That Sekiro costume is choice.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
https://twitter.com/einnecy/status/1583433402052579328

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

My FC had a Halloween party yesterday. Figured I might show off some photos of the event.

If you're looking for a spot to take some Halloween gpose shots, the house my wife and I have has been fully decorated (by her, I can't decorate for poo poo) for Halloween. In the upstairs, there are four themed "photobooth" areas as well. The address is Mist, Ward 22, Plot 5.

Nice!..um but what world?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Madmarker posted:

Nice!..um but what world?

Oh! Doh! It’s Excalibur.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

To be fair, it *is* a confusing name of you're not familiar with the jobs and know what "more shields" looks like.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The comments pointing out about every job by that definition is a shield healer are gold

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I discovered something terrifying while desynthing an item today:

Edward Elric, eat your heart out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Hommando posted:

I somehow never heard the music for E12S before, it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7lYmhmmenE&t=970s it's yet another FF8 reference.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

And they say we're not doing creation magic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I love the way they time the intro transition so it goes hard at the right time.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Given the rather dire issues some other jobs had with surviving damage in Coils, I'm not entirely convinced that the reason for Revalation being phys had anything to do with PLD's kit. Unless they were doting on PLD even harder than I thought they were back then.

I don't think it was PLD specifically, I think nearly every predictable buster in ARR (aka, one with a cast bar) was physical. The only exception I can think of is maybe the secondary explosion from Nael in T9? Some of the random harder hitting attacks may or may not have been physical like Leviathan's line AoE or Ramuh's circle AoE that required the orbs. This was also probably due to more ARR quirks like PLD presence for Rage of Halone STR debuff being more likely than MNK presence for Dragon Kick INT debuff.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The Megalodon that the jaw came from was so big, it had another, smaller Megalodon stuck in its teeth.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Running that Waking Sands mission from the middle of ARR in New Game+, I'll let you know what happens.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Running that Waking Sands mission from the middle of ARR in New Game+, I'll let you know what happens.

"Seriously, none of you tried casting Raise?"
"We thought someone else would've done it already..."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It finally happened again after years: I was partied with DA CONTENT RESPECTER PLD MAIN in EXDR today

I'm on BLM, I've prepositioned myself in one of the spots that isn't going to get hit with line AoEs and set leylines. they stop attacking enemies at somepoint to complain about me not standing with the group in the center of hte arena so he has to move to get aggro

He called me toxic for saying "Just shield lob on the one that aggro to me, trust me I'm in a safe spot" and then we waited at the gate for the second boss for his CDs to come off cooldown.

The CD we were waiting on btw? Divine veil so he could pop it with clemency before he pulled the boss.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lmao

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
This is what I deserved. I had 3 alliance runs where healers ran mechanics to me or over shielded me so I didn't have to move. I was having too good a time.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
My groups savage mount farming paid off in the real prize: more glams

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
New mount going up on the cash shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-au3ZNxiDw

Going by the video it doesn't play the Lakshmi theme, which I think would have been a great choice.

There's also a sale on some event items. Maybe I'll finally pick up the witch dress and ghost costumes I've been eyeing, since those events happened before I started playing...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ooh, where's that... oh, cash shop. Would've been perfect for a ridiculously hard fight.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Was there ever the level of animosity towards cash shop mounts in FFXIV that there was in WoW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Not to the same level, but there's still plenty of people that are very not happy about it. (I'm in the "It's disappointing, but understandable," camp.) It was especially noticeable with the Cruise Chaser mount, where there was a much more vocal negative response around it because it's a pretty cool mount and after it was data-mined there was a lot of speculation around what it would take to obtain. And then it turned out it just took a $30 purchase.

It helps that there's a lot of other impressive and fun mounts entirely attainable in-game without spending an extra cent, but that doesn't mollify everyone.