Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

goatface posted:

It's not meant to be the complete city, a more normal looking one is meant to grow around it. Hopefully it ends up like a massive Kowloon walled city.

Not that I've seen. It's meant to be "self contained". None of their concept art has anything around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
It will never be built because it’s a fever dream that’s far too stupid to exist, but if it did exist there would definitely be a bunch of shanties along it’s entire length. You think the slave labor is going to be allowed to live inside the megacity? Eww

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

Not that I've seen. It's meant to be "self contained". None of their concept art has anything around it.

It's meant to eventually be part of Neom.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

King Carnivore posted:

It will never be built because it’s a fever dream that’s far too stupid to exist, but if it did exist there would definitely be a bunch of shanties along it’s entire length. You think the slave labor is going to be allowed to live inside the megacity? Eww

no, they thought of that. the sides being mirrors will ensure that a large area on either side is baked to a crisp each day, making it completely uninhabitable

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Remember when he wanted to build that submarine to get that group of kids out of the flooded cave, butdidn't....

Lol

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/jeffreytowson/status/1584003920355287040?s=46&t=ZrTRftRBXNJXVVGG7FGMVQ

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Lol tell me that’s a parody account

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Skilled, hard working people love to have their job turn into a battle royale.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

no, they thought of that. the sides being mirrors will ensure that a large area on either side is baked to a crisp each day, making it completely uninhabitable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qksm5cRtcU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
the mad max post apocalypse could make archimedian solar death rays out of the glass sides of this thing

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

engineers do love a challenge in their domain, not the kind where you are fighting your employer’s garbage culture/policies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

it's dumb, yeah, but the phone is supposed to be a backup. the key fob issue he had would be like if you broke or lost your physical key. most modern cars would also be stuck in that situation (although many you could still shift out of park for easier towing). my car came with a 2nd set of keys, though. not sure if that's standard on teslas or not. seems like this whole thing could be mitigated if you kept a 2nd key fob at home for emergencies. then at worst it's an uber trip home or bugging a friend/family member to bring it to you at the garage you're stuck in.

the part of it that's crazy to me is that tesla assistance had no answer for this situation. you'd think they could just program a new fob and bring it out in an emergency. a lost key fob seems like a pretty common customer service situation, how do they normally handle that?

What's crazy to me is that the phone and the car both need to be connected to the internet. I own a Polestar, and I can use my phone as a key, and while I needed an internet connection to set this up I'm fairly certain everything from there is simply bluetooth, which seems like such an obvious choice to me that it's surprising anyone would do it any other way.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just so it's clear i haven't actually verified all of that info, i was just repeating what dennis from always sunny said when he told the story. it's possible he didn't get all the details right in the explanation.

i was curious and looked at the model S owner's manual just now, and it does say you don't need the internet to unlock with a phone:

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-E004FAB7-1C71-448F-9492-CACF301304D2.html posted:

Once a phone has been authenticated, it no longer requires an internet connection to be used as a phone key for Model S.

so maybe he just hadn't ever paired the app on his phone with his car before (at a location with internet access), and if he had it would've worked. or maybe the owner's manual is just wrong, i don't know.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can totally see them accidentally patching that out randomly and never saying poo poo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my guess is that it probably would've worked if he'd paired ahead of time. it's human nature not to worry about the back up system until you need it, but :shrug:

i have a coworker with a tesla, maybe i'll ask her tomorrow. mode 3, not S, but probably the same phone app.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Big "If you can't handle me at my worst, you don't deserve me at my best" energy there.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

The concept itself is not dystopian, but God knows the saudis are like the worst people to put in charge of this.

The concept itself is pretty dystopian when you look past the beautiful investor-ready graphic renderings. Certain elements of it are not, but at the end of the day you have this huge vertical structure where the rich live in the fun upper levels and a servant class lives and toils in the sunless lower levels. This is dystopian cyberpunk 101 tier stuff. It's great that it's designed for public transport but it seems like it'd be a nightmare actually living there as someone who's not already mega-rich

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

goatface posted:

It's not meant to be the complete city, a more normal looking one is meant to grow around it. Hopefully it ends up like a massive Kowloon walled city.

Yes it is, the surrounding area is uninhabitable without massive work to bring in water and other resources and that's before the giant mirrors are there. All the design is around bringing resources to only the people that live inside.

But it will never be finished, I'd be shocked to see even one section completed.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Hasn't construction on the 1km-tall Jeddah Tower been on hold for years now? Yeah, I see something similar happening here.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

seems obvious that this guy does not hire or recruit in tech.

there totally are weirdos out there who want to work insanely hard on something (“climb a mountain”). they are 22, with minimal experience, and none of them work at twitter. they work at bullshit private companies we have never heard of, and you couldn’t persuade them to work at twitter no matter what.

plus you wouldn’t want to: their skillset is totally different from the skillset you need to run a massive website. the weirdos can crank out a rickety tech demo by working 25 hours a day, but twitter doesn’t need that. twitter’s last new feature was changing the shape of user icons if the icon was an NFT. that took 20 minutes to program and 750 person-years to design, test, review, document, and deploy. the weirdos don’t know how to do any of that and they don’t want to learn.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

its almost like saudi arabia is has been huffing its own oil farts for decades and is starting to believe the hallucinations

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wendigee posted:

its almost like saudi arabia is has been huffing its own oil farts for decades and is starting to believe the hallucinations

saudi arabia is the country version of a trashy redneck who wins the lottery

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

QuarkJets posted:

The concept itself is pretty dystopian when you look past the beautiful investor-ready graphic renderings. Certain elements of it are not, but at the end of the day you have this huge vertical structure where the rich live in the fun upper levels and a servant class lives and toils in the sunless lower levels. This is dystopian cyberpunk 101 tier stuff. It's great that it's designed for public transport but it seems like it'd be a nightmare actually living there as someone who's not already mega-rich

They're also displacing a ton of folks (20,000) indigenous to the region, which of course that part's well underway.

There's also this, lol.

Wikipedia posted:

Also, the scope of the projects based on the crown prince's vision incorporates some technologies that do not even exist, like flying cars, robot maids, dinosaur robots, and a giant artificial moon.[65]

Kind of a shame there's some really cool, and actually achievable stuff in there, but that'll get overshadowed by the financial disaster and humans rights violations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elviscat posted:

There's also this, lol.

But what about the robotic dragons?

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

The Lone Badger posted:

But what about the robotic dragons?

Make them anatomically correct and I am in!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Dinosaur robots. Why does a city need dinosaur robots.
He's played horizon recently, hasn't he? "I want those".

Well worth the colossal waste of resources.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So they can tear apart any low caste people who enter higher caste spaces.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Roblo posted:

He's played horizon recently, hasn't he? "I want those".

Well worth the colossal waste of resources.

Man, I was making jokes about the cyborg dragon island guy but it turns out they've already got that covered.

I'm more interested in the "artificial moon". Are we talking a blimp with a bunch of lights on it that flies around at night, or some sort of actual gigantic orbiting body?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Roblo posted:

"What if the Batcave... was a city? And also a line?"

"gently caress, this is great, someone write this down!"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
normally when a dictator starts trying to teach dogs to perform opera things get a little coup-y so looking forward to how the false moon trench city plan works out

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Man, I was making jokes about the cyborg dragon island guy but it turns out they've already got that covered.

I'm more interested in the "artificial moon". Are we talking a blimp with a bunch of lights on it that flies around at night, or some sort of actual gigantic orbiting body?

I think it was a big mirror out at geostat.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

According to TrashFuture, it's a gigantic steel-frame sphere that will house a hotel (and really gently caress with the werewolves of the middle east)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

goatface posted:

I think it was a big mirror out at geostat.

What the gently caress do they need one of those for?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It might be someone else who was doing the big space mirror. It was someone's proposed idea to save on street lighting.

e- Looks like that was China

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Robo Reagan posted:

normally when a dictator starts trying to teach dogs to perform opera things get a little coup-y so looking forward to how the false moon trench city plan works out

luckily for Prince Bonesaw, all the impossible megaprojects are just a hobby, while his true passion is ruthlessly imprisoning & lightly torturing his many relatives

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ll be honest, if they had the world largest marble on top of this thing rolling from one end to the other constantly, with some way to catch it then speed it up so it can go back to the other side, I’d be all for it

Otherwise it’s stupid

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Pitch your idea to Mr. Bonesaw. It’d go perfect with the artificial moon and robotic dinosaurs.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

hemale in pain posted:

What do you do if your at the end 170km house and you want takeaway from a place near the start

it's got the same amenities every 5 km

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

If there’s one thing I know about high performing engineers, it’s that they love inheriting the unmaintainable piles of bullshit produced by the bottom 20% of engineers at the company.

Good engineers basically only want to build new poo poo, you need legions of drones who are happy toiling away in bullshit to keep the lights on. Good engineering orgs find a way to have both.

This is exactly why google has rebuilt chat apps 75 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Chess is for babies and Kasparov is an idiot.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1584533444444332033
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1584537377837490177