Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Senethro posted:

Where you've got prisoners, you can have wardens. You could have a Penal Officer class with Commissar as a career.

One of the Last Chancers (an expendable, non-Inquisition penal unit) is a disgraced commissar. I don't know a character as a warden would fit with the existing narrative/voice lines but a disgraced commissar that is basically 40k Saltzpyre would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Lassitude posted:

a disgraced commissar that is basically 40k Saltzpyre would be cool.

... I'd buy it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pretty psyched for this one, both Vermintides were great.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Senethro posted:

Where you've got prisoners, you can have wardens. You could have a Penal Officer class with Commissar as a career.

Commissars would give other characters a bonus when they hit them with friendly fire :commissar:

Bonus bonuses if it manages to knock down the other player.

It might need a balance pass.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Corbeau posted:

... I'd buy it.

“Kruber. KRUBER! Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Azran posted:

I remember their depiction in one of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels being a bit weird, it was basically a continuous stream shooting in a low arc. It's been a literal decade so I might be misremembering.

Dan Abnett never quite wrapped his head around how some of 40K weapons worked in his early days, but then I think that's broadly true of a lot of the writers. Many just see bolters as 'fire big bullets I guess??' (Which is all fine. I don't actually care that much.)

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

The worst thing is when in video games the bolters don’t fire explosives
A bolter without explosive rounds is just a big stupid looking assault rifle

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Things like meltaguns and bolters and lightning claws won't be in the game, they did an interview a while back where they were pretty explicit about the kind of stuff that will show up

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The leak from the beta had both a melta and a bolter, so they might show up.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm actually super excited to see the story unfold through the campaign. Dan Abnett is a great writer and I hope he went completely ham on it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LostRook posted:

The leak from the beta had both a melta and a bolter, so they might show up.

There's a few weapons there that I would be so chuffed to have in the game at launch. Let me mince heretics with an Eviscerator then char the bits with a flamer. :black101:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Flamer at least is easily confirmed by the Zealot details dialogue when choosing a class, as it’s exclusive to them.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, the flamer is in. I just want a comically huge chainsword to go with it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

Could even make it a Veteran subclass, frankly.

There is no way an Adeptus Arbites isn't going to be class. You're basically Judge Dredd, the class basically writes itself.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The weapon list looks p. good. After the beta I was worried they were doing some enormously creative counting with the different variations on weapons, but if the icon list is accurate then they've covered all the favorites.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lemme be a fuckin' disgraced Arbite with a cool dog

or a jokaero lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am very stoked for this game. The wife even pre-ordered it to play before release and she didn't even love Vermintide. I'm not sure why that is, but I think the sci-fi and shoot elements might be more popular.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Internet Explorer posted:

I am very stoked for this game. The wife even pre-ordered it to play before release and she didn't even love Vermintide. I'm not sure why that is, but I think the sci-fi and shoot elements might be more popular.

maybe she wants to spend time with u

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Maybe... much to think about.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm pretty surprised how much I want to play this again given that I have bounced pretty hard off every single L4D/ish game I've played. Part of it is definitely the aesthetic but I think something about the potential for the ol' gittin gud just didn't click with Vermintide for me but it did here. Pretty messed up.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

from my limited experience with the beta it seems fatshark has nailed that weird space of 'fun despite not being actually good'

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Wheeee posted:

from my limited experience with the beta it seems fatshark has nailed that weird space of 'fun despite not being actually good'

I can't parse this; define good

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"popularity doesnt determine quality" i tearfully mutter to myself as people ignore me to play their beloved video game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

apostateCourier posted:

I can't parse this; define good

well-crafted i suppose?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wheeee posted:

well-crafted i suppose?

Exceptional sound design, hugely aesthetic visual design, extremely solid gameplay.

Just a real shitshow all around.

Snark aside the beta had massive problems with performance and of course like any weird niche game the devs seem to be weirdly disconnected from good ideas in some spaces - QoL, class design - but to call the game poorly crafted is a lol and a lmao.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I guess much like the Tabletop games the 40k world is just so cool and interesting it overcomes being a less 'refined' game than it's fantasy counterpart. The fact that they absolutely nailed the aesthetic and sound and visuals and the game is fun despite it's problems means it has overcome many of it's drawbacks and will reach a bigger audience than fantasy could've.

Like the game is still making me want to play it really bad after the beta, that doesnt happen often, it's the same feeling I get when playing doom eternal and prodius, I just wanna play more! they must be doing something right!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

they stapled the classic l4d-like gameplay onto a loveable IP, doesn’t matter that it’s a janky mess, it’s fun

as to the buckaroo who got offended, lol this entire thread is full of longtime vermintide fans posting fondly about the incompetent stupidity of fatshark, that they produce jank filled with questionable design choices isn’t exactly controversial

the guy they hired to do the soundtrack did a fantastic job tho

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCOuP1bld70

Release window weapons list revealed!

Bolter - Melta - Plasma confirmed

Lasgun patters include Bullpup, Sniper and Krieg Patterns

three different patters of auto rifles, Vostroyan and Tallarn patterns!

Chain Axes and Commissar Rapiers confirmed! :black101:

overall a pretty good start!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Chain Axes and Commissar Rapiers confirmed! :black101:

Can't watch the video now but does the commisar rapier come with an offhand pistol?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
True love means loving the flaws even as you hope that they'll be overcome!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Al-Saqr posted:

I guess much like the Tabletop games the 40k world is just so cool and interesting it overcomes being a less 'refined' game than it's fantasy counterpart. The fact that they absolutely nailed the aesthetic and sound and visuals and the game is fun
I was actually a bit worried because the Ogryn hype video just showed more dark industrial corridors, and while that is indeed very on-brand for 40k I was hoping for some more varied environments. One of the best bits of VT2 (and the DLCs for the first game) was getting out of green-and-grey Ubersreik and into forests, snowy mountains, farmland etc. Those concept-art pieces that were posted several pages back at least suggest there should be more varied environments in the full game but AFAIK we've not actually seen any of them yet...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Can't watch the video now but does the commisar rapier come with an offhand pistol?

That we don't know yet, so far the leak only included names an icons. Basically there's one very fancy sabre/rapier and one standalone laspistol, either of which could reasonably be a combo weapon but it's not confirmed either way.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Zephro posted:

I was actually a bit worried because the Ogryn hype video just showed more dark industrial corridors, and while that is indeed very on-brand for 40k I was hoping for some more varied environments. One of the best bits of VT2 (and the DLCs for the first game) was getting out of green-and-grey Ubersreik and into forests, snowy mountains, farmland etc. Those concept-art pieces that were posted several pages back at least suggest there should be more varied environments in the full game but AFAIK we've not actually seen any of them yet...

I think they did themselves dirty limiting themselves to a Hive City, if that is the plan.

Then again, the hub is set on an orbiting ship so I suppose there's no reason they couldn't send dropshops to non-hivecity locations on the planet, or invent some reason to give rejects access to a teleportarium to go to some more varied locales

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The lore stuff they've put out has hinted at threats on other planets in the system, so it seems likely that you'll be visiting places outside the hive.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We've only seen underhive poo poo so far. The forge, the munitions train and some other set pieces. Hives are big places and there will definitely be some upper spire maps where the rich people live as well as outside platform sections, probably with a fleet battle in the skies.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

I do hope Fatshark was able to work in some Jungle Deathworlds so I can relive all the Catachan jungle fighter short stories. Hell, even some Catachan cosmetics is all I am asking for.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Termyie posted:

I do hope Fatshark was able to work in some Jungle Deathworlds so I can relive all the Catachan jungle fighter short stories. Hell, even some Catachan cosmetics is all I am asking for.

Well one of the levels is absolutely going to be a garden of nurgle so you’re gonna get a jungle!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Vermintide 2 update just added nurglings for a seasonal event

What are the odds they took the model from Darktide and theyre one of their so-far-unshown extra enemies/Factions?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Termyie posted:

As the resident Catachan fanatic, I've spent way too much time thinking about how a Deathworld Veteran class may work. A likely route would be to make them a mix of Vermintide's Dwarf Ranger and Elf Shade, with a heavier emphasis on melee and flanking positions. Give him a smoke bomb ultimate that puts him into stealth to line up backstabs and you've got a decent unique-feeling class.

Also if they're gonna be DLC Fatshark better put in some kickass Catachan-pattern weapons like the auto-fire lascarbines and the autoguns with underslung grenade launchers (plus a million knives).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Termyie posted:

Do you WANT scorpions the size of tanks? Because that's how you get scorpions the size of tanks.