Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you go into comments on her Telegram post announcing the firing, you’ll see that the consensus there is that being gay is what made the guy say that, i.e., it’s being swept under as a quote-unquote mental illness, which is not a novel turn of “thought” for bigotry in Eastern Europe on one hand, but on the other it shows that they’re *really* keen on backpedaling away from this one. The same Simonyan quote that Paladinus cites above does read decidedly more barbed in its original, than the translation could lead one to believe.

I was half wondering if this was all set up: have some guy call for genocide and then be immediately fired and censured as proof that the Russian government is totally not genocidal towards Ukrainians and that that sort of attitude is actually totally condemned. But if that was the case they’d probably have made some random shmuck the fall-guy, not the head of RT Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sucrose posted:

I was half wondering if this was all set up: have some guy call for genocide and then be immediately fired and censured as proof that the Russian government is totally not genocidal towards Ukrainians and that that sort of attitude is actually totally condemned. But if that was the case they’d probably have made some random shmuck the fall-guy, not the head of RT Russia.

I don’t think this is a setup - in my opinion, the guy just went off the old script while Russia is seemingly trying drain it’s PR ditch with a tea strainer and Shoygu is running his “forward this message to 3 more defence ministers or a dirty bomb explodes in Ukraine” thing. For a fall guy they’d do the normal thing where some “audience member” gets invited to be defeated by facts and logic.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t think this is a setup - in my opinion, the guy just went off the old script while Russia is seemingly trying drain it’s PR ditch with a tea strainer and Shoygu is running his “forward this message to 3 more defence ministers or a dirty bomb explodes in Ukraine” thing. For a fall guy they’d do the normal thing where some “audience member” gets invited to be defeated by facts and logic.

Yeah, they wouldn’t have chosen such a high-ranked propagandist for the role if it was set up. That translated Medusa article posted upthread about Krasnovsky is really good; rather than being a true ideologue it makes him out to be an apolitical, amoral man who works as a propagandist to avoid persecution and for the extremely sweet paycheck it gives him, who takes whatever viewpoint he thinks will make his bosses most happy. He’s been saying rabid pro-war anti-Ukrainian bullshit for the whole course of the war; he probably wonders why he’s now suddenly in trouble.

The really scary thing is that regardless of this guy’s personal motivations for saying such hideous stuff, you know that there’s a subset of the most murderous extremists who probably think he’s right on when he talks about killing Ukrainian children and wiping Ukraine off the map, who will be further emboldened to commit war crimes by hearing him on TV openly saying it.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yeah, it seems like the guy whose job is to say entertainingly outrageous in a :shuckyes: way things got too outrageous and not entertaining for the corporation. Fortunately there's no shortage of Z clowns who are ready to shoot their mouths on television for a good compensation.

Discendo Vox posted:

New thread title.

It would be a wonderful title too, as the forum software does not support special characters in thread titles!

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 24, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

It would be a wonderful title too, as the forum software does not support special characters in thread titles!

I’ll just use “e” in the title to inflict psychic damage on Russian speaking thread readers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Maybe Astral could spare a couple load-bearing umlauts for the Ukraine war posting effort :patriot:

^efb :argh:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ll just use “e” in the title to inflict psychic damage on Russian speaking thread readers.

Resisting the Russian invasion from e to Z.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is a ё appreciation zone. :colbert:

Edit:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arzemes/ministrs-ungarija-lidz-decembrim-ratifices-zviedrijas-un-somijas-iestasanas-nato-protokolus.a479234/

Our media reported yesterday that Orban’s head of administration has confirmed that Hungary is going to ratify NATO enlargement by Sweden and Finland. Hungarian procedural formalities are expected to conclude before Christmas.

The Swedish PM is going to visit Erdrogan to negotiate this.

Our current PM is notable for giving up everything in every negotiation so far, so it doesn't look good from a human rights perspective.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if the PM has the power to negotiate handing over those journalists to Turkey. He certainly wants to. Either Turkey has the legal right or they don't. Ministers can't decide that on their own without putting legislation through parliament.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

Honestly, I'm not even sure if the PM has the power to negotiate handing over those journalists to Turkey. He certainly wants to. Either Turkey has the legal right or they don't. Ministers can't decide that on their own without putting legislation through parliament.

Even the riksdag can't really do that without casting Sweden in the same pariah category as Hungary and Poland in EU. And while Ulf is determined to end feminist foreign policy I'm not sure if that's what he really wants.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

The Swedish PM is going to visit Erdrogan to negotiate this.

Our current PM is notable for giving up everything in every negotiation so far, so it doesn't look good from a human rights perspective.

The Finnish-Turkish argument (such as it is) seems to begin and end with our judicial system being independent, i.e. the president or the parliament can't just willy-nilly go around saying extradition verdicts should all favour mister Erdogan because he has a tummy-ache. Of course Turkey has been less, erm, persistent with us than they have been with Sweden, but surely even Ulf can manage a little vinegar in the defense of mamma Svärje.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rappaport posted:

The Finnish-Turkish argument (such as it is) seems to begin and end with our judicial system being independent, i.e. the president or the parliament can't just willy-nilly go around saying extradition verdicts should all favour mister Erdogan because he has a tummy-ache. Of course Turkey has been less, erm, persistent with us than they have been with Sweden, but surely even Ulf can manage a little vinegar in the defense of mamma Svärje.

We have the same system, which people had a very hard time understanding during the Assange extradition negotiations.

I'm not even sure why Ulf is going there. Maybe to promise weapon exports?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sucrose posted:

He just was just trying to be a good propagandist but loving fumbled it. They are not mad at him for suggesting drowning children, they are mad for, quoting a RU senator "giving the enemy a propagandist nuclear bomb". Genocide is OK, in their minds, as long as you don't call it as such.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

He just was just trying to be a good propagandist but loving fumbled it. They are not mad at him for suggesting drowning children, they are mad for, quoting a RU senator "giving the enemy a propagandist nuclear bomb". Genocide is OK, in their minds, as long as you don't call it as such.

Speaking of, here comes the investigative committee. Establishment is in full meltdown over him, with lots of calls for his head.

https://twitter.com/sssmirnov/status/1584444151927492608

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't think I saw this in the thread:

https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/sbu-detains-motor-sich-president-suspected-of-supplying-military-equipment-to-russia

quote:

SBU detains Motor Sich head suspected of supplying military equipment to Russia.

Ukrainian authorities detained Viacheslav Bohuslaiev, the head of Motor Sich, one of the world's leading manufacturers of aircraft engines based in Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine's Security Service (SBU) reported on Oct. 23. Bohuslaiev is suspected of collaborating with Russia.

According to the SBU, Bohuslaiev's arrest is "part of the criminal case on the Motor Sich's illegal supply of military equipment for Russian attack aircraft."

Apart from Bohuslaiev, the SBU also detained the head of the foreign economic activities department at Motor Sich, not mentioning his name.

The detained are accused of cooperating with representatives of the Russian state-owned "Rostec" defense enterprise, "one of the main producers of weapons for the Russian military."

They have established "transnational channels for the illegal supply of Ukrainian aircraft engines" to Russia, the SBU said, adding that Russia used the obtained equipment for the "production and repair" of its attack helicopters Mi-8, Ka-52, and Mi-28. According to the SBU, Russia has used such helicopters "en masse" against Ukraine.

I wonder if it's in any way connected to that story from way back (march-ish) where UA forces found a bunch of Air-to-Air missiles hidden in caches.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sekenr posted:

Well, there is actually some limit to depravity for Russia in Ukraine. There are some absolutely horrific stories, but it's also not quite Second Congo War level of "torture and eat every civilian you come across."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

alex314 posted:

I don't think I saw this in the thread:

https://kyivindependent.com/news-feed/sbu-detains-motor-sich-president-suspected-of-supplying-military-equipment-to-russia

I wonder if it's in any way connected to that story from way back (march-ish) where UA forces found a bunch of Air-to-Air missiles hidden in caches.

It reads more like exporting to shady shell companies set up to import them to Russia, which doesn't sound too unusual for the market of defence goods.

Why, I didn't know that Dimitri's Honest Previously Owned Helicopter Emporium in Crete was really owned by a Russian oligarch who does trade with North Korea and Eritrea!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1584434057177243648?t=Ej77XltHpNencG4t6JrZYA&s=19

Honestly, probably the absolute funniest possible successor choice: former liberal, one-time scientologist, process-brained cockroach that somehow survived overseeing the worst (so far) financial crisis in modern Russian history. The problem is he is elbow deep in blood due to overseeing occupational administrations and replacement would be someone who could plausibly sign a peace deal, so I don't know why Ukrainian intelligence points at him while Putin is alive and healthy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/a_burakova/status/1584459923433615360

So, it would seem that yesterday’s episode was not actually live. :laffo: These explanations for what happened look better by the minute.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/a_burakova/status/1584459923433615360

So, it would seem that yesterday’s episode was not actually live. :laffo: These explanations for what happened look better by the minute.

So perhaps he was saying extreme things in order to bait someone else, then they hosed up and forgot to cut those bits before the broadcast?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's literally only getting walked back because it's blowing up in their face and because it is so clearly indefensible

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's literally only getting walked back because it's blowing up in their face and because it is so clearly indefensible

This reads like a variant of the "humor as instrument for fascism" approach. Say it, no one laughs, walk your statement back.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

The problem is he is elbow deep in blood due to overseeing occupational administrations and replacement would be someone who could plausibly sign a peace deal, so I don't know why Ukrainian intelligence points at him while Putin is alive and healthy.

If all your enemies (Ukraine/NATO) are talking about a post Putin Russia, it would probably cause a little paranoia and possibly internal division. It is also diffilcult seeing Putin accepting any sort of ceasefire/peace treaty other than Ukraine giving up those regions as Russian territory well as other equally humiliating terms.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Saladman posted:

Well, there is actually some limit to depravity for Russia in Ukraine. There are some absolutely horrific stories, but it's also not quite Second Congo War level of "torture and eat every civilian you come across."

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Snapes N Snapes posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to them"

Yes, "only tortures some of the population" is a sort of odd statement.

https://twitter.com/hrw/status/1584047014832054273

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Chalks posted:

So perhaps he was saying extreme things in order to bait someone else, then they hosed up and forgot to cut those bits before the broadcast?

The screenshot in this tweet is from the other guy in video, scifi writer Sergey Lukyanenko. He says maybe it was an attempt to bait him, maybe Krasovsky had an episode but he fully expected these parts to be cut.

I can see Krasovsky's cocaine-riddled brain to think it was awesome but there should be chief editors to clear this for broadcast

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Krasovskii's apology is really something.

'I have indeed offended and put under fire many of my comrades. My company. My people. Forgive me. And most importantly, it was just tasteless.'

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Russia has already massacred children and is actively kidnapping tens of thousands more. The only "line" they've found so far is not talking about it explicitly on national television. Other than, you know, constant threats to nuke London or whatever European capital they felt affronted by that week.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/gantzbe/status/1584508307573592064

Defence minister of Israel. Earlier in the thread, he said that Israel will not provide weapons systems to Ukraine, supposedly due to constrained resources.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 24, 2022

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/gantzbe/status/1584508307573592064

Defence minister of Israel. Earlier in the thread, he said that Israel will not provide weapons systems to Ukraine, supposedly due to constrained resources.

I think it was a week ago Zelensky or someone else saying they didn’t want or need early warning systems at this point. Maybe a year ago would have been nice.

I wonder if anyone in that meeting brought up the Iranian drone base Israel exploded?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ought ten posted:

I think it was a week ago Zelensky or someone else saying they didn’t want or need early warning systems at this point. Maybe a year ago would have been nice.

I wonder if anyone in that meeting brought up the Iranian drone base Israel exploded?

Were drones going into Ukraine being made at that base? I assume you're talking about this Israeli strike:

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...c7-1fb0384f0000

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Eric Cantonese posted:

Were drones going into Ukraine being made at that base? I assume you're talking about this Israeli strike:

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east...c7-1fb0384f0000
It hasn't been confirmed, but I'm wondering if that's what Iran was doing so they could keep claiming that no Iranian drones were being used in Ukraine, since they were technically manufactured in Syria.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Too busy with the latest round of Palestinian murdering, sorry!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Seems clear that this is the future of at the very least small scale warfare.
https://twitter.com/SamBendett/status/1584516672425451523?t=TMQa4iwpn6IOktoDKwHqtw&s=19

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

distortion park posted:

https://twitter.com/SamBendett/status/1584516672425451523?t=TMQa4iwpn6IOktoDKwHqtw&s=19

Battles are going to start with releasing 200 automatic man hunting kamikaze drones with heat cameras. Then all friendly soldiers get to carry IFF transmitters to not become targets.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

distortion park posted:

It seems very optimistic, especially as even in the report the guy they were with couldn't conduct operations because of a jamming signal. I'm wondering if the profusion of drones is as much a result of the lack of conventional air warfare and in a war where one side had air superiority they would be able to more effectively lock down the use of drones through loitering aircraft with electronic warfare capabilities? Also if you had air superiority I would imagine you'd be using a helicopter with missiles instead of a drone carrying a couple of grenades.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeah, drones are going to be a lot more important in conflicts going forward, but I think some people might be over-learning lessons from this war. If you aren't in a situation where AA is ridiculously oppressive to the point where air superiority is impossible, you'd probably be relying on modern aircraft and helicopters a lot more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ynglaur posted:

Russia has already massacred children and is actively kidnapping tens of thousands more. The only "line" they've found so far is not talking about it explicitly on national television. Other than, you know, constant threats to nuke London or whatever European capital they felt affronted by that week.

i suspect its mostly because of "PR" reasons, the various international lickspittles and in country factions are fine with awful crimes and horrors if you keep it vague, talking head basicaly getting excited for kids being drowned might make some squimish.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i suspect its mostly because of "PR" reasons, the various international lickspittles and in country factions are fine with awful crimes and horrors if you keep it vague, talking head basicaly getting excited for kids being drowned might make some squimish.

It's a reeeeally bad look if they didn't do anything about it. Plus it doesn't really cost them anything and they can continue actually murdering civilians.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Rigel posted:

Yeah, drones are going to be a lot more important in conflicts going forward, but I think some people might be over-learning lessons from this war. If you aren't in a situation where AA is ridiculously oppressive to the point where air superiority is impossible, you'd probably be relying on modern aircraft and helicopters a lot more.

We shouldn't underestimate how cheap mass-produced military drones could be when compared to aircraft. Not to mention sparring trained pilots etc.

A $3000 drone with the explosive power of a hand grenade could make a world of difference to infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I once saw a review of a camera drone with automated person following capability. As in you tossed it in the air and it followed over your shoulder as you walked around, not because it was directed, but because it recognized you. This was a dinner plate sized, $400-500 or so drone.

My immediate thought was "put a pistol on that thing and build a million of them and that's a terrifying weapon if you don't care about being indiscriminate."

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 24, 2022