Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Matt Smith's regeneration was great, I very much enjoyed Capaldi's too. Nothing has topped Tennant becoming Smith though, that was sheer perfection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've yet to see a regeneration I didn't love.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

I've yet to see a regeneration I didn't love.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Capaldi's real regeneration story is top tier, but the Christmas append is wack.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the actual plot of the Capaldi Xmas one is pretty shaky, but everything after the truce scene where they go into the regeneration itself is really good (I'm a sucker for the whole 'I'm tired, can't I just be done?' aspect, and the whole kind of old gunslinger vibe of 12 deciding that he's got enough left for one more go). And this one was a lot of fun. A lot of hand-waving and 'no time to explain' but it mostly worked because everyone involved seemed to be enjoying themselves. And of course that had to be the ending line, what the heck else could it have been otherwise?

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 24, 2022

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

DoctorWhat posted:

Capaldi's real regeneration story is top tier, but the Christmas append is wack.

like so many things doctor who (and especially/incidentally like most of Chibnal) that Christmas special had things to like about it but it just didn't come together as a whole. I enjoyed the broad strokes of the story with 1 and 12 meditating on mortality, but their individual little adventure wasn't good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

10, 11 and 12 were in a different part of the mindscape with a velvet rope up, all frustrated as they explained to Dildo-Doctor that no he doesn't count and he can't come in. 10 suddenly ran away and jumped into the back of 13's Uber when it came to pick her up and take her back to reality. The driver of the Uber is 3, not because he needs the money but he just really loves driving cars. He sometimes does donuts outside of 2's mindscape inner-city apartment building in the middle of the imaginary night.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That started out quite a bit rubbish but by the end it was the best Who episode in years.

i know these teeth

Is it bad how happy I am to see him again?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The tradition is the incoming team does the post regeneration scene, yeah? So Rusty wrote the last minute or so?

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
What an awesome episode - probably my favourite Chibnall episode ever. The Master taking over the Doctor's body and enlisting the Daleks and Cybermen TO BLOW UP ALL THE VOLCANOES :allears:

Had a couple of problems, mainly that Chibnall emphasised the Doctor's apathy to her companion's concerns and solved this by... organising a therapy group for discarded companions?

The music during the Master scenes just made me think of the Weakest Link. Pictured him saying, "Ace, or should I say Dorothy... You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Thank god Jodie gets one fantastic episode to end on. I knew Chibnall had at least one in him. Now gently caress off.

Shame the last minute is awful, I was expecting it, but it doesn't make it less bad, it's like the show is apologising for everything from Moffat on. But also the audacity of a Woman Doctor, our show is dying, so please come back to the only Doctor you liked, you shallow fucks.

Still had a blast though, I'm gonna miss Jodie, I wish all her episodes were this fun.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Very nice that Whittaker got an unequivocal banger of an ep after so much dreck, but even then, the episode was absolutely stolen by Sacha Dhawan.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So that was probably Chibnall's best work on Who. I wish that was saying more, and it's interesting that it comes right before RTD takes over because it very much feels like an RTD kinda story, but yeah it's good. Part of it is nostalgia, like I couldn't NOT tear up when 7 said "Better than that, we're ace." But it worked, like the story held together for the most part.

(Like I do wonder why the Master even bothered with the 1916 bit except maybe as a redundancy, but I also figure he couldn't resist going ahead and being Rasputin and playing the Rasputin song. Like to be honest that was probably the genesis of the entire plan.)

Honestly, I expected the Timeless Child thing to come up more. Like, this is Chibnall's last go and he's as much as said he has no expectation that RTD or anyone in the future will use this plot thread, it's the nature of Who for continuity to be loose and some things just sorta fall away, sure, so why not go wild? Why did we never meet any other Secret Doctors besides Jo Martin and I guess whoever was in the Irish scenes? Like ultimately there is no arc for the Timeless Child story.

But that may be for the best.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

absolute dog poo poo

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

seeing tennant was cool because i was reminded that at least with rtd when its bad, its at least entertaining and probably wont be the audio/visual equivalent of tinnitus

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Hey, I got more Eighth Doctor, I'm happy.

"I'm an apparition representing our complete culture, I can wear whatever I'd like!"

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah. One of the best things about the end of the Chibnall run, what little good I'll say of it, is there is nothing to suggest that the Dhawan Master comes after Missy instead of after Simm and before her. Having that be the actual death of the Master made and keeps it one of the best and best possible Doctor Who episodes. Probably one of the best fantasy scenes if you restrict yourself to fantasy dynamics-based scenes.

But I guess I am saying The Doctor Falls is a great regeneration episode for reasons having next to nothing to do with the Doctor and absolutely nothing to do with regeneration.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Of course, stuff will reoccur in Doctor Who but it's nuts that Chibnall's best episode and his swansong to the show is pretty much doing a whole bunch of RTD finales mashed together.
But hey, it mostly works! He backed himself with a lot of fan-proofing: it's hard to resist those classic Doctor moments (and Paul McGann is so handsome).

The truly big downer is that Chibnall didn't really resolve the stuff that was his--specifically, Yaz and the Doctor. I suppose that'll wait for the next anniversary.

Also, The Doctor going "What a universe, I'll never understand it" was amazing. It felt like a moment that was entirely Jodie's!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I mean, I enjoyed it, and I literally did this during the episode:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Actually crying, gently caress you Chibnall

But his best episode? It was bonkers and did a lot of fun pandering things that I appreciated, but like most Chibnall it managed to have a lot of plot elements but almost no plot.

The seismologists went missing; not a mystery, just the Master. The pictures weren't stolen to conceal that the Master was now appearing in them, were they, because UNIT had pictures just like LOTS OF PEOPLE ON THE loving PLANET would, so what was the point, where are the paintings, who cares, why are you still talking about that when Ian is back?

And the Master had the Cyberconversion planet in 1916 to provide the needed power for the forced regeneration, so why pull the Russian Doll trick in 2022 to get Cybermen onto the planet for a conversion? Isn't the point to convert people in 1916? And why in the world would the CyberMasters support a plan where they are to start converting humanity at the same time that the Daleks are tectonically destroying it? Why bother with the Russian Doll plan when UNIT drag the Master into their apparently-impossible to enter building without even changing his clothing? He could have just carried the device in himself. And it seems like he somehow stuck his teleporter/time-travel iPad/control for everything on the conversion planet in a hidden spot in UNIT's basement? So the entire thing is just playing mindgames with Tegan? It isn't the dumbest thing the Master's done, but that doesn't make it good writing.

The traitor Dalek was apparently a real traitor, and it had the information encoded in its casing and the Doctor was downloading it to a device. The other Daleks then force open the Dalek's casing and shoot the Dalek inside, but not only do they leave the casing intact, they stick the Doctor into it. So what happened to the device, or the data encoded in the casing itself? And should we just ignore that Thirteen seems to be gung-ho on Dalek genocide after Four famously rejected the idea? I'm not thrilled that Chibnall has written a story that's both "clearly the Doctor should just kill all Daleks" and "clearly Yaz was right not to shoot the Master in the back of the head the second she got that gun" though the worse part was that in the context of the story I was desperate for her to do that. "Just loving shoot him, it's better for everyone, the Doctor will eventually forgive you."

I'm a little dubious about "operative goes alone through wormhole to free imprisoned being, finds being entirely unguarded, has no ability to free being even though it turns out you can just tell the being to free itself and it will" even if we ignore that the Cybermen guards that shot at the Doctor and Yaz initially are nowhere to be seen later on. I guess despite having a whole Cyberplanet, they were all down in Russia at that point in the story, and then dead. You'd think the Master would bother to trap his TARDIS, or at least, to lock it, but never mind. The Master's always been brilliant and massively stupid at the same time and Missy appears to have been his only incarnation capable of learning anything.

Plenty of little brilliant stuff (using the MasterCybermen regeneration energy to reverse the forced regeneration, for instance) mixed with stunningly lazy stuff (hey, that panel that destroys the UNIT building actually just kills all the Cybermen and frees Kate, which leaves me wondering why they also brought down the building with it). I was 100% there for the pandering and bravo to Chibnall for figuring out a way to both bring back old Who actors and arrange for a Tegan/5 and Ace/7 conversation. But I don't know how you can work this hard on something with so much promise and just bobble so much of it. It's like Chibnall has hundreds of good ideas but no confidence in any of them, so he deploys dozens and just keeps moving on to the next without bothering to make most of them do very much.

Fugitive Doctor is rapidly climbing in the ranks of "best Doctor" for me, and she's still being wasted. A real sign of just how formidable Jo Martin is that she can walk into a scene and scare the Dhawan Master senseless in about two sentences. But the thing to notice here is that he did not recognize her.

This is the Master who viewed the Matrix files, found out about the Timeless Child, killed all the Time Lords out of rage, trapped the Doctor in the Matrix using the recording that he watched... and he never saw the Fugitive Doctor before? I can't tell if that's intentional or if Chibnall is just really bad at this sort of thing, though I suppose it could be both.

Whittaker has been loving misserved. Bad enough she spent most of the Timeless Children episode locked up and unable or unwilling to do anything, in this one there's a period where she gets written out of the show! She's saved by her friends, sure, but also by the holoprojected versions of herself; this isn't even the first time Chibnall has managed to have Thirteen get saved by not-really-Thirteen Thirteens! Five got to be a more active Doctor, and that's not a flattering comparison point. I was hoping Thirteen was going to be a part of saving herself directly from the Edge, but she just waited there until something happened. It doesn't even appear to have required effort on her part.

Still and all, I remain a Who fan, and after all these complaints I'd still say 7 out of 10.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Oct 24, 2022

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

My mom called it “Mr Who” tonight and I’m literally shaking with rage as I google for nursing homes.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
They didn’t go to Time Lord medical school for half a semester to be called Mister Who, thank you very much. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In fact, they didn't go to Time Lord medical school AT ALL :colbert:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, apart from this thread, the only exposure I get to Doctor Who in my life is watching episodes and listening to Big Finish. Maybe it was plastered all over youtubes channels or in the news or something? Or maybe it was in the spoilers thread, which I don't read?

Iirc, there was a big press release earlier this year announcing Tennant was coming back with cryptic "what does it all mean?" comments from RTD because they were about to film some exterior scenes and the cat was going to be out of the bag anyway.

Goddamn, Graham just continues to be the absolute best, I had no idea he was coming back so seeing him was just :3: On the whole, the episode was stupid and fun, and yeah, Chibnall went out on a high note. Also,

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jerusalem posted:

In fact, they didn't go to Time Lord medical school AT ALL :colbert:

Hey, the canteen technically counts as part of the school. :colbert:

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ace and The Master: "Last time I saw you, you were half cat." "A man's allowed to experiment."

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
I can't believe the dialog with Tegan and the 5th Doctor hit me like it did. When The Doctor asked Tegan what she was thinking of Cybermen and she said "Adric", I started to cry immediately. I remember watching the old episodes from my VHS collection and the ending to that episode was a gut punch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ditto with 7 saying “We’re Ace.”

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Not ashamed to say that I lost it when Chatterton appeared. Been waiting on Ian to come back for years, and god bless William Russell, the man turns 98(!) next month.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 24, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just over a decade back I remember seeing a picture of William Russell and thinking that he was REALLY showing his age. Then he appeared in An Adventure in Time and Space and he actually looked pretty together which I thought was great. He's NINETY-EIGHT now and looks like he's in his 70s. loving awesome, go Ian! Karate-chop Death on the shoulder!

Crapilicious posted:

Ace and The Master: "Last time I saw you, you were half cat." "A man's allowed to experiment."

That was great, but the fact he REMEMBERED Tegan's Aunt name just so he could enjoy taunting her that he killed her.... goddamn.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
but why did her clothes change

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I assume something is loving with the Doctor, since this clearly wasn't normal. The Doctor even stopped to look at their clothes in the middle of remarking over the teeth and realizing their hands looked and their face felt familiar, because whatever just happened was NOT supposed to happen!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jerusalem posted:

I assume something is loving with the Doctor, since this clearly wasn't normal. The Doctor even stopped to look at their clothes in the middle of remarking over the teeth and realizing their hands looked and their face felt familiar, because whatever just happened was NOT supposed to happen!

I almost wonder if we’re getting a spin on the Dark Dimension, an alternate timeline where 10 never regenerated.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

We'll probably find out next year when we all discover what the hell is going on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

While all of the plot contrivances and plot holes you mentioned are there and more, it's still Chibnall's best. That's how mediocre the man has been.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

That was enjoyable.
Although I'm a bit confused why they wrote Yaz and the Doctor parting the way they did. It was like "I'm regenerating so you have to gently caress off now". Its not like companions have never carried over before.

No, but when RTD handed things over to Moffat (10th to 11th) and then when Moffat handed it over to Chibnall (12th to 13th) the companions didn't stay. So I was fully expecting there to be no companions for this regeneration scene.

Anyway, MY doctor is back. :D

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Posting after watching way too late, so I have to be brief, but...

WOW

Chibnall sticked the loving landing!!!

As good as Moffat's 50th.

RTD has a tough act to follow for the 60th.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Reading some of the official press around Tennant's return, it's interesting that RTD refers to Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor and Gatwa as the Fifteenth. Something weird is definitely going on (especially with how their clothes change), and it could very well be some Dark Dimension hijinks or some other outside interference, but it sounds like this is supposed to be a legitimate incarnation and not just a glitch or an intermediate form of some kind. Or maybe Russell's just stirring the pot! Also, I don't know if this was previously confirmed but it seems the three Tennant specials will all be airing in November 2023 and then Gatwa's first episode in the "festive period" of 2023 (I'll bet RTD is hard at work trying to get the end-of-year special back to Christmas but the schedules aren't locked in yet). So by the sound of it we might be getting four whole episodes next year?

I'll have to give it to Chibnall and this episode, there was plenty there I didn't care about at all but good golly gosh I think I'm actually into Doctor Who again in a way I haven't been in a long, long time. It's not just the promise of RTD2, either (which I was initially a bit sceptical about but am now really looking forward to). I'm reading press releases and looking up reactions and listening to Radio Free Skaro and all that for the first time since maybe late Smith or early Capaldi. (Thinking about that era, The Name of the Doctor is a pretty good comparison point for this - another reference-heavy finale set against a backdrop of big lore revelations and leading to an anniversary special - though I probably prefer Power to Name.) I actually feel like rewatching The Power of the Doctor, and other than the 50th I don't think I've rewatched a single episode since, like, Let's Kill Hitler or something?

Anyway, feels nice to be actually invested in my favourite show. Maybe I'll grow to even like it again!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Narsham posted:

I mean, I enjoyed it, and I literally did this during the episode:

But his best episode? It was bonkers and did a lot of fun pandering things that I appreciated, but like most Chibnall it managed to have a lot of plot elements but almost no plot.

The seismologists went missing; not a mystery, just the Master. The pictures weren't stolen to conceal that the Master was now appearing in them, were they, because UNIT had pictures just like LOTS OF PEOPLE ON THE loving PLANET would, so what was the point, where are the paintings, who cares, why are you still talking about that when Ian is back?

And the Master had the Cyberconversion planet in 1916 to provide the needed power for the forced regeneration, so why pull the Russian Doll trick in 2022 to get Cybermen onto the planet for a conversion? Isn't the point to convert people in 1916? And why in the world would the CyberMasters support a plan where they are to start converting humanity at the same time that the Daleks are tectonically destroying it? Why bother with the Russian Doll plan when UNIT drag the Master into their apparently-impossible to enter building without even changing his clothing? He could have just carried the device in himself. And it seems like he somehow stuck his teleporter/time-travel iPad/control for everything on the conversion planet in a hidden spot in UNIT's basement? So the entire thing is just playing mindgames with Tegan? It isn't the dumbest thing the Master's done, but that doesn't make it good writing.

The traitor Dalek was apparently a real traitor, and it had the information encoded in its casing and the Doctor was downloading it to a device. The other Daleks then force open the Dalek's casing and shoot the Dalek inside, but not only do they leave the casing intact, they stick the Doctor into it. So what happened to the device, or the data encoded in the casing itself? And should we just ignore that Thirteen seems to be gung-ho on Dalek genocide after Four famously rejected the idea? I'm not thrilled that Chibnall has written a story that's both "clearly the Doctor should just kill all Daleks" and "clearly Yaz was right not to shoot the Master in the back of the head the second she got that gun" though the worse part was that in the context of the story I was desperate for her to do that. "Just loving shoot him, it's better for everyone, the Doctor will eventually forgive you."

I'm a little dubious about "operative goes alone through wormhole to free imprisoned being, finds being entirely unguarded, has no ability to free being even though it turns out you can just tell the being to free itself and it will" even if we ignore that the Cybermen guards that shot at the Doctor and Yaz initially are nowhere to be seen later on. I guess despite having a whole Cyberplanet, they were all down in Russia at that point in the story, and then dead. You'd think the Master would bother to trap his TARDIS, or at least, to lock it, but never mind. The Master's always been brilliant and massively stupid at the same time and Missy appears to have been his only incarnation capable of learning anything.

Plenty of little brilliant stuff (using the MasterCybermen regeneration energy to reverse the forced regeneration, for instance) mixed with stunningly lazy stuff (hey, that panel that destroys the UNIT building actually just kills all the Cybermen and frees Kate, which leaves me wondering why they also brought down the building with it). I was 100% there for the pandering and bravo to Chibnall for figuring out a way to both bring back old Who actors and arrange for a Tegan/5 and Ace/7 conversation. But I don't know how you can work this hard on something with so much promise and just bobble so much of it. It's like Chibnall has hundreds of good ideas but no confidence in any of them, so he deploys dozens and just keeps moving on to the next without bothering to make most of them do very much.

Fugitive Doctor is rapidly climbing in the ranks of "best Doctor" for me, and she's still being wasted. A real sign of just how formidable Jo Martin is that she can walk into a scene and scare the Dhawan Master senseless in about two sentences. But the thing to notice here is that he did not recognize her.

This is the Master who viewed the Matrix files, found out about the Timeless Child, killed all the Time Lords out of rage, trapped the Doctor in the Matrix using the recording that he watched... and he never saw the Fugitive Doctor before? I can't tell if that's intentional or if Chibnall is just really bad at this sort of thing, though I suppose it could be both.

Whittaker has been loving misserved. Bad enough she spent most of the Timeless Children episode locked up and unable or unwilling to do anything, in this one there's a period where she gets written out of the show! She's saved by her friends, sure, but also by the holoprojected versions of herself; this isn't even the first time Chibnall has managed to have Thirteen get saved by not-really-Thirteen Thirteens! Five got to be a more active Doctor, and that's not a flattering comparison point. I was hoping Thirteen was going to be a part of saving herself directly from the Edge, but she just waited there until something happened. It doesn't even appear to have required effort on her part.

Still and all, I remain a Who fan, and after all these complaints I'd still say 7 out of 10.

Yeah after sleeping on it, this episode is honeycomb levels of holey.

The Master was fantastic though, especially the bits with Yaz after the forced regen, proper nose to nose yelling and spittle flying everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Jo Martin has such a strong presence anytime she walks into a room. She's fantastic, so little screen time but I'm completely sold she's "The Doctor", moreso than I am on Whitaker.