Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's always unreal seeing right wingers praising Carlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It is but I can kind of get it. Carlin was pretty anti government which right wingers like to pretend they are also, and since right wingers are purely about shocking and offending people to have fun, it makes sense that they'd be fans of stuff like Carlin's "rape can be funny" bit. "The liberals would cancel him for sure if he told that joke these days!"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
"Every now and then that thought creeps into my head, but I quickly squash it"

Every Freep brain ever

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Elephant Ambush posted:

"Every now and then that thought creeps into my head, but I quickly squash it"

Every Freep brain ever

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Twelve by Pies posted:

It is but I can kind of get it. Carlin was pretty anti government which right wingers like to pretend they are also, and since right wingers are purely about shocking and offending people to have fun, it makes sense that they'd be fans of stuff like Carlin's "rape can be funny" bit. "The liberals would cancel him for sure if he told that joke these days!"

Carlin was a land of contrasts. He definitely had some conservative views especially in regards to modern language and also literally did the "racism and slurs can be funny ~iN CeRTaiN cONteXTs~" bit and followed it right up with the n word. And he absolutely would be whining about "wokeness" if he were alive today

Carlin also said that all golf courses should all be turned into housing for the homeless and called out golf as an elitist and racist game. And he also had a bit where he explicitly called out baby boomers as spoiled rear end brats who had everything handed to them and still whine about everything and act persecuted

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

As a lifelong devotee to standup comedy and even a guy who has got on stage and done it, I'm a firm believer that stand-up comedy should be allowed to push the boundaries of good taste. This is going to make it easy pickings to go back on old routines and pick apart poo poo that wasn't right. But I think there is a difference between how Eddie Murray spoke about trans people in the 80's and George Carlin.

However, this statement doesn't mean I believe stand-up comedy should be free from critique. If you go into bad places, you deserve getting smacked for it. The difference is acknowledgement of being wrong, and becoming a god awful alt-right comic who screeches about wokeism.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The true strength of a person is being able to accept their mistakes and then actually try to atone for them, whether it's a comedian who overstepped or any one else in life.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Carlin also did an interview with Larry King where he specifically called out Andrew Dice Clay for using comedy to punch down, and pointing out that a lot of Clay's comedy is marketed towards insecure young white men, appealing to their anger.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Skios posted:

Carlin also did an interview with Larry King where he specifically called out Andrew Dice Clay for using comedy to punch down, and pointing out that a lot of Clay's comedy is marketed towards insecure young white men, appealing to their anger.

Dice is one of those guys who was just born and had his career in the wrong era, 30-40 years too early.

He would have been a natural official comedian/court jester for the Trump era.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Dice is one of those guys who was just born and had his career in the wrong era, 30-40 years too early.

He would have been a natural official comedian/court jester for the Trump era.

That is a sad commentary on the present state of affairs.

Go gently caress your self :).

What, no.

gently caress me.

Not like that.

Fuuuck.

What do I say now?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I don't necessarily hate a shock comic. But Jesus Christ, Dice Clay was loving awful in any generation.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

kik2dagroin posted:

To: knarf

I’m a vet...
Got into a little discussion with my sister about VA benefits...
She said that the pubs would set things right when they get back in power...
I pointed out to her that every significant piece of legislation for veterans was written and passed by democommies.

Just a little piece of information to chew on

36 posted on 10/14/2022, 5:43:36 PM by joe fonebone (And the people said NO! The End)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]
Pretty surprising to see a freeper so casually admit this, even if it is with some snark.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I don't necessarily hate a shock comic. But Jesus Christ, Dice Clay was loving awful in any generation.

Fully agreed. Was confused as Hell when I found his short lived (2 seasons) Showtime show “Dice” to be so entertaining.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Captain Log posted:

:same:

One of my older cousins had one of his recordings back in the 80s and my first thought was "this guy's just an unfunny rear end in a top hat."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Tony Phillips posted:

Fully agreed. Was confused as Hell when I found his short lived (2 seasons) Showtime show “Dice” to be so entertaining.

Maybe showtime forced some other writers onto him

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
The Day the Laughter Died is amazing. I have no other notes on Dice.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
The Adventures of Ford Fairlane is great for laughing at Clay. It's almost two hours of Clay trying and failing to be cool, while dealing with his unresolved issues from getting rejected by the music industry.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Like many people when I was young and foolish I started out as a Democrat then as I matured I became a die hard Conservative/Republican. In my "Liberal" years at the age of 6 years old I really wanted Jimmy Carter to win, But as he turned out to be a disaster for our country and I grew older and matured it was at the ripe old age of 10 right after the great Ronald Reagan's "We will get the hostages back from those Iranian barbarians" interview during the campaign that at that moment I decided to switch to the Conservative/Republican side and I've been here ever since.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Georgia Peach posted:

Like many people when I was young and foolish I started out as a Democrat then as I matured I became a die hard Conservative/Republican. In my "Liberal" years at the age of 6 years old I really wanted Jimmy Carter to win, But as he turned out to be a disaster for our country and I grew older and matured it was at the ripe old age of 10 right after the great Ronald Reagan's "We will get the hostages back from those Iranian barbarians" interview during the campaign that at that moment I decided to switch to the Conservative/Republican side and I've been here ever since.

And no new information will ever sway my views. I decided everything i will be at 10 years old and i will never rethink it.

THEY ARE LETTING 10 YEAR OLDS DECIDE WHAT GENDER THEY ARE????? :supaburn:

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Skios posted:

The Adventures of Ford Fairlane is great for laughing at Clay. It's almost two hours of Clay trying and failing to be cool, while dealing with his unresolved issues from getting rejected by the music industry.

we'll always have that loving hilarious koala dummy hanging from the ceiling fan though

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Skios posted:

I have a soft spot in my heart of Brain Smasher a Love Story

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106475/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

In this edition of "Furious Fox," I have taken a dive into what looks like a very mundane article.

Y'all know that show American Pickers? Well, they wrote an article about Danielle from the show having an emergency hysterectomy.

I'll occasionally look at articles like this to see how quick they can turn hateful.

All of these screenshots are from the first page of comments, and were taken last night.

The article in question -

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/american-pickers-star-danielle-colby-shares-photo-hospital-details-health-journey-fibroids

As it turns out, Fox commenters REALLY HATE TATTOOS on WOMEN!!! They look like CARNIES!!!

Keep scrolling, and you'll quickly get into pro-holocaust territory! That hasn't been reported or removed! How normal!

And some folks just want you to know how much they can't wait to vote in the Midterms. During an article about a woman having hysterectomy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Log posted:

In this edition of "Furious Fox," I have taken a dive into what looks like a very mundane article.

Y'all know that show American Pickers? Well, they wrote an article about Danielle from the show having an emergency hysterectomy.

I'll occasionally look at articles like this to see how quick they can turn hateful.

All of these screenshots are from the first page of comments, and were taken last night.

The article in question -

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/american-pickers-star-danielle-colby-shares-photo-hospital-details-health-journey-fibroids

As it turns out, Fox commenters REALLY HATE TATTOOS on WOMEN!!! They look like CARNIES!!!

Keep scrolling, and you'll quickly get into pro-holocaust territory! That hasn't been reported or removed! How normal!

And some folks just want you to know how much they can't wait to vote in the Midterms. During an article about a woman having hysterectomy.

How old do you think these dipshits are, 60s/70s? I assume they just sit at work all day and leave hateful comments.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

How old do you think these dipshits are, 60s/70s? I assume they just sit at work all day and leave hateful comments.

While I'd believe a large section of the commenters to be in their 50's and 60's, there is enough phrasing and language that is clearly coming from younger people.

I don't have any proof, but I'd bet the median age is a lot closer to 35 than 65.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Log posted:

While I'd believe a large section of the commenters to be in their 50's and 60's, there is enough phrasing and language that is clearly coming from younger people.

I don't have any proof, but I'd bet the median age is a lot closer to 35 than 65.

yeah. id be surprised if its that young, my guess is early/late 40s to late 60s is the base. much like alot of the harder right stuff.

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012

Captain Log posted:

Mean, surely? You can't be saying you think Fox News has at least one 1-year-old commenter and no commenters over 70.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kfroog posted:

Mean, surely? You can't be saying you think Fox News has at least one 1-year-old commenter and no commenters over 70.

?

Wait how do you think you count medians?

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

?

Wait how do you think you count medians?

Just looked it up. I'd always thought that mathematics was exempt from the maxim "all information conferred in elementary school is suspect". They told us it was simply halfway between the highest and lowest value in a range. That struck me at the time as not a very useful thing to know about a range of values, but I didn't have access to the internet, and so I just accepted it and didn't think about it since then.

The smart thing to do, of course, would've been to look it up before posting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To the contrary, posting things that are wrong gets you a swift correction and also stimulates the posting economy.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

He's not wrong. That new guy in Journey, while talented, is just not Steve Perry

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OwlFancier posted:

To the contrary, posting things that are wrong gets you a swift correction and also stimulates the posting economy.

Yep! It's called Poe's Law.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

:argh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kfroog posted:

Just looked it up. I'd always thought that mathematics was exempt from the maxim "all information conferred in elementary school is suspect". They told us it was simply halfway between the highest and lowest value in a range. That struck me at the time as not a very useful thing to know about a range of values, but I didn't have access to the internet, and so I just accepted it and didn't think about it since then.

The smart thing to do, of course, would've been to look it up before posting.

Well you can pat yourself on the back for not having doubled down and trying to act like math itself as a discipline is wrong.

You know for every person as reasonable as you, there's like a solid 500 morlocks with glass-fragile egos who would lose their poo poo and throw it on the walls.

And yeah, you figured it out, it's obviously for the range of values in the thing you're talking about, and not always everything. But for being such a good sport I'm gonna give you a cool math idea : so what's a median? It's the middle of a range, specifically the midpoint of the distribution of the range. And we can do this out for toy bits of data really easily by like imagining all the points in the range are marbles in a bag, so we pull out matching pairs of highest and lowest until we get the last one. Aces, dope. Great. So what's the median of infinity? Or let's be specific, there's more than one, let's just go with the the integers, so all the positives and negatives plus zero. What happens when I start pairing off the greatest and least values of the set of integers? What's the median of infinity? The median of the set of integers is the set of integers. Each infinity is the median (and mean) of themselves, so the same happens for just the wholes or the positives or the negatives or the reals. Everything is the middle and the middle is everything, that's how infinity works.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What the Christ is going on? Did I math wrong or something?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Captain Log posted:

You mathed up, bro.

Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012

Captain Log posted:

no, that was me

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

And [George Carlin] absolutely would be whining about "wokeness" if he were alive today
Louder for the cheap seats.

Carlin was brilliant in form and execution, clearly had a heart and a brain, but he was still coming at his subjects from the perspective of a technician and artisan first and a member of the human community second. Even in a best case he'd still have to hold up a moment, and it wouldn't be a best case because let's face it-- kids are loving mean.

That is the most charitable read of any comedian who complains about "wokeness" too. 9 times out of a 10 it's the path of least resistance to keep getting paid and everyone knows it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Also known as Poetic truth!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The American public school system strikes again. I myself learned quite a few things, such as "Columbus was the first to say the Earth is round," "cats are the opposite of dogs," and "America is a democracy."

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

cat botherer posted:

The American public school system strikes again. I myself learned quite a few things, such as "Columbus was the first to say the Earth is round," "cats are the opposite of dogs," and "America is a democracy."

Everyone know cats are the opposite of fish, not dogs