Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Bust Rodd posted:

Newest effect always wins when two cards are trying to change the same thing in the same layer.

"Always" is incorrect here; it's true in this case, but if one of the effects depends on the other, the dependency takes precedence over timestamps. E.g., with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Blood Moon: if you applied Blood Moon first, Urborg no longer has an ability, and therefore no longer applies said ability; if you apply Urborg first, Blood Moon is unaffected. In a situation like this, whether or how Urborg applies is "dependent" on whether or how Blood Moon applies, so you apply the "independent" effect first (Blood Moon) and apply the dependent one (or not) based on that (not, in this case, because the ability no longer exists).

Also, a clarification: these dependencies are global, not on a card-by-card basis; the order they are applied in is the same for all objects. So in the Blood Moon/Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth example, none of the lands on the battlefield are affected by Urborg's ability, regardless of timestamps or anything; Urborg's ability disappears before it can be applied to anything.

Further exception: if both effects are dependent on one another, then we go back to timestamps.

That leads into one of my favorite weird-rear end rules questions: Life and Limb vs Blood Moon.
What happens if the only 3 permanents on the battlefield are Taiga, LaL, and BM?
Whether LaL affects Taiga depends on whether BM has applied and stripped it of forest status, so BM applies first, and Taiga is a Land - Mountain, and LaL doesn't affect it.
What happens if the only 3 permanents on the battlefield are a saproling token, LaL, and BM?
Whether BM affects the token depends on whether LaL has applied and turned it into a nonbasic land, so LaL applies first, turning it to a Land Creature - Forest Saproling, and then BM turns it into a Land Creature - Mountain Saproling.
What happens if the battlefield includes Taiga, a saproling token, LaL, and BM?
As we've seen, for the Taiga, LaL depends on BM, and for the saproling, BM depends on LaL. Since we have a "dependency loop," we fall back to timestamp order. If LaL came first, we apply it and then BM; then the saproling is still a Land Creature - Mountain Saproling, but the Taiga is also a Land Creature - Mountain Saproling, since LaL turned it into a creature before BM stopped it from being a Forest. If BM came first, we apply it and then LaL; then the Taiga is still a Land - Mountain, but the saproling is a Land Creature - Forest Saproling, since BM didn't affect it when it wasn't yet a land.

To clarify for anyone who is new to the technical side of MTG rules: all of the above is only if they're in the same "layer;" in these cases, layer 4: type-changing effects. If the effects apply in different layers (e.g., Wall of Stolen Identity's copy-with-Wall-subtype effect (layer 1) and Conspiracy's creature-type-changing effect (layer 4)), dependency and timestamp do not matter at all; the effects are applied in layer order (e.g. Wall of Stolen Identity becomes whatever type was chosen by Conspiracy and is not a Wall unless that was what was chosen).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I just picked up a foil full art Morphic Pool for $20. They’re as low as they’re going to get!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Balon posted:

I just picked up a foil full art Morphic Pool for $20. They’re as low as they’re going to get!

I love picking up the fancy versions when they’re this cheap. That’s what I did for Takenuma a little while back.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lmao at this bit of the outro.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Some of my prototype token designs came in the mail today

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat that's pretty good.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Crew the vehicle, Shinji, or Rei will have to do it again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao at my sincere, visceral emotional response to that token

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If I'm really goona go ahead with my dumb Junji Ito deck idea, I'm gonna need to learn to make proxy tokens with alternate art. Maybe even those cool ones with a different name and then the "real" car dunderneath. Who would Tomie be? Hellstar Remina?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I'm really goona go ahead with my dumb Junji Ito deck idea, I'm gonna need to learn to make proxy tokens with alternate art. Maybe even those cool ones with a different name and then the "real" car dunderneath. Who would Tomie be? Hellstar Remina?

I believe you can use https://cardconjurer.com/creator/ if you want to make custom cards/tokens that will be the correct size for MPC. You can use whatever art tickles your fancy.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I believe you can use https://cardconjurer.com/creator/ if you want to make custom cards/tokens that will be the correct size for MPC. You can use whatever art tickles your fancy.

Conjurer even has an option for the Godzilla-style frames, so I'll definitely second this recommendation.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Rules question that I'm too lazy to look up elsewhere:

I have Tatsunari in play and I cast Rancor. At the casting of the spell, not the resolution, a token of Keimi enters the battlefield. Can I then choose Reimi as the target of Rancor, since it has yet to resolve? Or is there a hitch in the rules for auras that says I have to choose a target as it is cast?

I just need to know if I can draw my entire deck with a Rancor + Phyrexian Altar + an Enchantress effect in play. :getin:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You can’t cast rancor without a target, and the frog won’t proc until you cast, so no

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Bust Rodd posted:

You can’t cast rancor without a target, and the frog won’t proc until you cast, so no

Boooooo. Yeah, I had a feeling about this. I mean, Rancor is still OP in this deck, so I just lost one combo line. :shrug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Thoughts on Orvar cEDH? Looks like janky fun.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thoughts on Orvar cEDH? Looks like janky fun.

I've been really intrigued by it, and of course his price spikes hard when I want to pick one up.

Ever since someone told me that Spellstutter Sprite is an all star in the deck I was pretty much sold. Spellstutter Sprite is my favorite magic card and I've always been kinda bummed it sucks on edh overall

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

I've been really intrigued by it, and of course his price spikes hard when I want to pick one up.

Ever since someone told me that Spellstutter Sprite is an all star in the deck I was pretty much sold. Spellstutter Sprite is my favorite magic card and I've always been kinda bummed it sucks on edh overall

I've been thinking about maybe proxying up a mono-color cEDH deck for each color and I think I'd like Orvar more than Urza for Blue. I'd do Adeline for White, Birgi for Red, Tergrid for Black, and I don't know who for Green. Maybe Yisan, Selvala, or even Big Kamal?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Goreclaw is fun for mono green if you just want stompy

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

WHAT'S THE BEST TOURNAMENT WINNING DECK IN cEDH? PLAY TO WIN vs MONARCH

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think I'd like Orvar more than Urza for Blue.

Em ry! Em ry! EM ry! EM RY! EM RY!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Thanks! This is a project I'm gonna work on pretty slowly, since the Secret Lair won't arrive until late november anyway.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/ComedIanMTG/status/1584038799280984065?s=20&t=6kK5lsBsxcjgmb9lgyz2qw

the list

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For those of you who don’t quite get what the deck is doing, it’s a Time Sieve combo deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

For those of you who don’t quite get what the deck is doing, it’s a Time Sieve combo deck.

I love Time Sieve!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This deck is so cool

I totally missed the time sieve combo initially too, that's excellent.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

This looks rad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah it’s funny because people are kind of assuming it’s just a bad esper Stax list that Ian piloted masterfully, but truthfully the combo is balls easy to set up. It’s kind of like an Esper Turbonaus list, you just actually need the commander to win (if you don’t just go off with Thoracle) and once you take the first turn, your opponents are screwed if you can protect your commander.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Settle a debate for me:

Dude plays and places , and says that Spore Chimey triggers from the number of +1/+1 tokens gained, I argue that it doesn't proc at all, since he didn't actually pay anything for X. It still comes in huge based off his lands, but that's all. Right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah I'm really not clear on it. Ravenous is an EtB thing so it doesn't directly reference its casting cost as the "source" of the counters. The enchantment reads as though it's replacing the X in the cost.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Settle a debate for me:

Dude plays and places , and says that Spore Chimey triggers from the number of +1/+1 tokens gained, I argue that it doesn't proc at all, since he didn't actually pay anything for X. It still comes in huge based off his lands, but that's all. Right?

It doesn't proc at all because he didn't pay anything for X.

Heath posted:

Yeah I'm really not clear on it. Ravenous is an EtB thing so it doesn't directly reference its casting cost as the "source" of the counters. The enchantment reads as though it's replacing the X in the cost.

Nope, ravenous cares about the amount of Mana paid for X costs, not the number of counters.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Heath posted:

thematically it's similar to replacing the x, but rules-wise it's not close at all as the card isn't cast and is instead put directly into play with a bunch of counters on it

quote:

107.3g If a card in any zone other than the stack has an {X} in its mana cost, the value of {X} is treated as 0, even if the value of X is defined somewhere within its text.
107.3h If an effect instructs a player to pay an object’s mana cost that includes {X}, the value of X is treated as 0 unless the object is a spell on the stack. In that case, the value of X is the value chosen or determined for it as the spell was cast.
107.3i Normally, all instances of X on an object have the same value at any given time.

quote:

107.3m If an object’s enters-the-battlefield triggered ability or replacement effect refers to X, and the spell that became that object as it resolved had a value of X chosen for any of its costs, the value of X for that ability is the same as the value of X for that spell, although the value of X for that permanent is 0. This is an exception to rule 107.3i.

as it was never a spell on the stack X is zero, so they don't draw a card for the ravenous replacement effect because that's concerned with the value of X rather than the number of counters, and spore chimney searches for up to zero lands

e;fb

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah there was a rules update a while ago that let permanents remember what their X Value was when cast for the purposes of their ETB. One of the things this enables is if you copy a permanent spell with an X in the cost then both will remember their X value. This only works if you copy it *while* it's a spell. If you copy it once it ETBs then the copied X will be zero.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Kurieg and LGD are correct. First Tyrannic War does not say anything about setting the value of X, only about adding extra +1/+1 counters. The Spore Chimney ability doesn't care about +1/+1 counters, it only cares about what X is, and since Sporocyst wasn't cast, X is 0.

I find it sort of amusing that this is essentially a "correlation does not imply causation" error. If you cast Sporocyst normally, the number of +1/+1 counters on it and the number of basic lands you search for will be equal (i.e. they are correlated). But neither one causes the other; both are the result of a common cause (the amount of X paid).

Kurieg posted:

Yeah there was a rules update a while ago that let permanents remember what their X Value was when cast for the purposes of their ETB. One of the things this enables is if you copy a permanent spell with an X in the cost then both will remember their X value. This only works if you copy it *while* it's a spell. If you copy it once it ETBs then the copied X will be zero.

That's not really a new rule. The fact that it is now possible to copy permanent spells on the stack is a new phenomenon (as of about two years ago I think), but it has always been the case that (a) ETB replacement effects and triggers of permanents "remember" X costs paid (this is necessary for any permanent with X in the cost to function at all), and (b) copying spells on the stack copies X costs paid.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

DontMockMySmock posted:

Blood Moon vs Prismatic Omen chat and rules and effects that follow there in.

That's a huge rear end explanation and thanks for clearing poo poo like that up. MTG gets so in depth when it goes in for what effect means what and when.

That being said I'm also looking at putting in a Chromatic Lantern into a WUBRG deck. What sort of interaction would that have against Blood Moon and similar enchantments?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Jiro posted:

That's a huge rear end explanation and thanks for clearing poo poo like that up. MTG gets so in depth when it goes in for what effect means what and when.

That being said I'm also looking at putting in a Chromatic Lantern into a WUBRG deck. What sort of interaction would that have against Blood Moon and similar enchantments?

Blood Moon is a type-changing effect, so it applies in layer 4, whereas Chromatic Lantern grants the ability in layer 6, ability granting or removing effects. So nonbasics will be Mountains that have the tap for any color ability.

Blood Moon (and other basic land type changing effects that don't have the "in addition" clause) are a little weird in this regard, since they're changing type (layer 4) in a way that, as a side effect, causes abilities to be removed, which is the sort of thing you would expect to be in layer 6.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Now someone do the Humility + Opalescence ruling.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Now someone do the Humility + Opalescence ruling.

Humility and Opalescence is actually not that complex, IMO, unless you're new to it. They both basically do their thing, and timestamp order only applies to their power and toughness. If Humility entered the battlefield first, Opalescence wins on timing and Humility is a 4/4 creature with no abilities. If Opalescence entered first, Humility wins on timing and Humility is a 1/1 creature with no abilities. (If you have two Opalescences and Humility entered between them, you have one 4/4 and one 1/1 Opalescence but they're not the ones you might think, but if you're playing Humility and two copies of Opalescence you know exactly what you're doing anyway.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah it’s funny because people are kind of assuming it’s just a bad esper Stax list that Ian piloted masterfully, but truthfully the combo is balls easy to set up. It’s kind of like an Esper Turbonaus list, you just actually need the commander to win (if you don’t just go off with Thoracle) and once you take the first turn, your opponents are screwed if you can protect your commander.

Tivit has been on my radar for a while and it really feels like people have been sleeping on it because of his cost. Having a commander be such a value engine and a combo piece at the same time is pretty bonkers, especially with pseudo-hexproof and huge toughness making it hard to remove.

The fact that it has lines that are commander dependent and independent is also good, in one of the most interactive color identities with some of the best tutors. Deck's great.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Tivit is a super interesting commander, because it has so many win conditions it's very hard to stop. Time Sieve combo is probably the most reliable, but you also have:

-Easy Infinite flicker with Deadeye Navigator
-Tons of fodder for Improvise cards
-Using Inspiring Statuary or KCI to make a giant Exsanguinate or Torment of Hailfire
-Cranial Plating or All That Glitters to go for commander damage, also double strike???
-Voting shenanigans with Expropriate and such, also Illusion Of Choice is playable!
-Rise and Shine or Cyberdrive Awakener for go wide tokens

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Nope, ravenous cares about the amount of Mana paid for X costs, not the number of counters.

Yeah and that's important to remember since that deck contains Hardened Scales and a couple of other ways to put extra +1/+1 counters on cast.