Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

When it says 40% audience 92% critic you know you’re either in for some dogshit or an amazing movie lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

myanimelist remains the most pure, devoid of feminists and anyone sex-positive in general

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Trying to think of movies in the past ten years that will live on across time and space in a way Nightmare Before Christmas does, maybe Frozen? But it seems like Frozen kinda isnt a thing anymore like it seemingly was.

it helps that the art style is crazy good and distinctive frozen just has very little going on for it from an animation standpoint compared to any other randomly chosen 3d disney movie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

it helps that the art style is crazy good and distinctive frozen just has very little going on for it from an animation standpoint compared to any other randomly chosen 3d disney movie

yeah but that's nearly the entire decade right? what 3da movie in that era will still be watched in fifty years, toy story 3?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i teared up at the incinerator scene ngl

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

re-watched Poltergeist (1982). still slaps even after 40 years.

I miss movies that establish characters and families in a way that is empathetic and relatable. I totally forgot that the parents in Poltergeist smoke dope and laugh at silly little jokes with one another after putting the kids to bed, and they aren’t painted as delinquent freaks for doing so. the kids are also pretty great in the film — they aren’t precocious and wise, they act like kids — and do/say things that actual children would do.

Even Carol-Anne, the youngest, has her own personality that reflects what a six year old girl would be like. You can tell she’s kind of weird, but she’s weird in a little kid way, not a ‘wise beyond her years’ way.

spielberg’s touch is also all over the directing. the film really effectively moves from a feeling of wonderment about the haunting (the mom is so excited by it that she shows off Carol Anne being moved independently on the kitchen floor by the spirits to her husband) and pivots to outright terror/horror as things ratchet up (a steak coming to life and crawling on the counter…)

there was a good Reddit comment about this movie that said that it didn’t make you afraid of the spirits/terrors that infest the house, rather it made you afraid for the family because it so effectively sets up the dynamics of the Freelings in the first 1/4 of the film. I have to heartily agree with this. Horror without some kind of empathy with the characters is just a demo reel of effects. what do you all think?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
just watched black adam and it was fun. felt like a super hero movie that was before marvel. the script was pretty funny, but I enjoyed watching the rock killing and melting people. I also liked all of the second string heroes. very very enjoyable imo

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Also how is there not a Dragonlance TV series aere coming up on that IP being 40 years old and it's been consistently popular. Tom Hardy as Tanis come on

Dark Sun is basically the Lord of the Rings meets Mad Max and could make for a bitchin' tv setting

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mirello posted:

just watched black adam and it was fun. felt like a super hero movie that was before marvel. the script was pretty funny, but I enjoyed watching the rock killing and melting people. I also liked all of the second string heroes. very very enjoyable imo

According to the cspam aggregate score of two reviews it now has 50% and is certified rotten

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

According to the cspam aggregate score of two reviews it now has 50% and is certified rotten

I'm a verified top reviewer binch

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Next question is why is anime still 2d?

There's like maybe 2-3 studios max who are actually good at 3d on a tv series budget.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
3d animation sucks, should have never been created. I wish I could go back and punch my kid self in the face while he's watching ReBoot

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
tf2 animations with Source film maker look good.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mirello posted:

I'm a verified top reviewer binch

My condolences

McCloud has issued a correction as of 10:02 on Oct 24, 2022

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I feel like Frozen 2 not being direct to video might have dented its reputation

Also I just found out there was a Rob Zombie Munsters movie at some point in the recent past. I tried watching it and just couldn't. Its not like the Munsters was art or anything to begin with, but that movie was a rare display of anti-talent. It wasn't just not good, it somehow directly subtracted a quantity of fun from the universe. What a rare achievement.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Trying to think of movies in the past ten years that will live on across time and space in a way Nightmare Before Christmas does, maybe Frozen? But it seems like Frozen kinda isnt a thing anymore like it seemingly was.
I work with kids and Frozen is very much still a thing. I honestly can't think of an animated movie that is as popular. Not even Moana.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Aglet56 posted:

rotten tomatoes' whole pitch is that even though it just boils down any individual review to "thumbs up/down," if you aggregate all of those, you can get percentage grade that's supposed to be totally ordered. that is, a movie with a 90% RT score like, say, hot fuzz is supposed to be better than a movie with a 60% RT score like, say, die hard 2 even if no individual critic came out and said "i like hot fuzz better than die hard 2."

this actually works pretty well and it doesn't actually break down that often. milquetoast movies like shawshank redemption are rare edge cases where everybody likes it enough to give it a thumbs up and it winds up with a 99% score

Die Hard 2 is better than Hot Fuzz

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

blocked and muted

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

indigi posted:

Mantis42 posted:

blocked and muted

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

probably Edgar Wright's worst movie tbh. I like it but it's not great

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Next question is why is anime still 2d?
cell shaded 3d looks like crap unless you put in a ton of effort and at that point why bother when you're already paying 2d animators peanuts

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

indigi posted:

whhhhhhaaaaaattt thee fffffuuuuuucck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

indigi posted:

i think his worst movie is probably baby driver or something, but i'd agree i didn't particularly love it. then again im not a big fan of simon pegg and nick frost.

world's end is probably the cornetto w/e i enjoyed the most

Xaris has issued a correction as of 11:55 on Oct 24, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hot Fuzz does a lot to legitimize policing and that sucks but i really like it as a movie

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

indigi posted:

without a doubt his worst is last night in soho. it's ugly, unfunny, eyerollingly unsubtle and its plot is just a recycled Doctor Who b-plot. a completely unnecessary movie. As kind of unnecessary as Baby Driver is, it at least has a lot of style. soho is just a waste.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Remember when GB2016 got like a 90% on RT the year it came out because reviewers were legit afraid to say it sucked and gave it 3/5 or 2.5/4 or whatever the lowest possible score was that RT considered "fresh"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, either Last Night In Soho or World's End are Edgar Wright's worst films.

But you know what not's the worst? Andor.

(But it's also not the best because that's Avenue 5.)

But Andor is pretty loving good. The villains are what make the show for me; I don't give a gently caress about Cassian Andor and don't find him compelling, but the nazi twunk and the desk jockey with permanent fart face are pretty good love to hate villains. Mon Mothma is decent too.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I never heard of Last Night in Soho. sounds bad though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I feel like Avenue 5 pulls its punches compared to other Iannucci works

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah the joke are Dave Barry level

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Last Night in Soho is fine.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

Remember when GB2016 got like a 90% on RT the year it came out because reviewers were legit afraid to say it sucked and gave it 3/5 or 2.5/4 or whatever the lowest possible score was that RT considered "fresh"

GB2016?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

indigi posted:

you have to be doing a bit at this point. no one could have this many bad media opinions.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last Night in Soho is fine.

Yea. It's Wright's weakest film but it has some cool things going on. If nothing else I'm glad he was trying something different.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghostbusters, sorry

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Ghostbusters, sorry

I find this movie especially disappointing because, if it weren't for the fact that they insisted on making it a Reboot rather than a Sequel PLUS the bad Paul Feig "just keep improvising and I'll keep rolling until we run out of film" direction, the bones of a good Ghostbusters sequel are in that script. I actually really like the idea of the villain - a guy who has studied the ghost trapping tech and used it to make something that attracts ghosts instead because he doesn't necessarily view them as like "pests" to be eradicated. But the movie itself is SO bogged down with those shot, reverse shot scenes of two comedy actors doing bad extended improv bits that it like can't even get off the ground. The opening scene alone is like 10 minutes long just so Zach Woods can really stretch his legs and do as much comedy as possible - in a scene that, in the original, is maybe a minute tops and exists solely to introduce the concept that ghosts exist.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

Old has exactly 50% on RT and it rules

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just mean that so often when you aggregate like that the summary of the reviews in total boil down to "good but not great", "bad", or "AMAZING"

The 30-50 movies are the ones that reviewers have really divergent opinions, movies that people see in incredibly different lights based on their personalities and life experiences, the weird movies, all that stuff