Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Every time I get reports from this thread I come and read a handful of pages and it's usually so aggro. Just chill and post about your fancy computers or awful monitors or magic mice or whatever. Thank you and god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

~Coxy posted:

D3 is actually on Mac. Immortal isn't, which is funny because it's a mobile game so it would be trivial to support it.
The biggest disappointment is probably D2 Remastered not being available on Mac.

oh yeah, you're right. for some reason I thought it wasn't.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's too bad that most iOS game devs have blacklisted their apps from being played on Mac

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Internet Explorer posted:

Every time I get reports from this thread I come and read a handful of pages and it's usually so aggro. Just chill and post about your fancy computers or awful monitors or magic mice or whatever. Thank you and god bless.
Uhh sure thing chief.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

~Coxy posted:

D3 is actually on Mac. Immortal isn't, which is funny because it's a mobile game so it would be trivial to support it.
The biggest disappointment is probably D2 Remastered not being available on Mac.

Overwatch is disappointing; D2 is understandable. The game is still running the original codebase under the hood, there’s just a fancy layer on top; and while D2 did originally have a Mac port; Macs can’t run 32 bit apps any more.

That being said - I’d rather play D2 in its original form than the remastered version. D2 was a work of art, the artwork in that game is a masterpiece. Just play the original in VM if you ask me.

WoW has a native AS port though; which is great and it runs perfectly.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: broke my no posting about posting rule

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 24, 2022

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Lord Bude posted:

That being said - I’d rather play D2 in its original form than the remastered version. D2 was a work of art, the artwork in that game is a masterpiece. Just play the original in VM if you ask me.
I’m guessing you’ve never actually played D2R huh? Lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

shrike82 posted:

it's too bad that most iOS game devs have blacklisted their apps from being played on Mac

Why would they do that? Seems like missed sales opportunities

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

American McGay posted:

I’m guessing you’ve never actually played D2R huh? Lol

I’m not paying money a second time for a game I already own just because someone decided to poo poo all over the original art and call it a new game. I’ve seen footage. The original is superior.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

American McGay posted:

Uhh sure thing chief.

If I've misread the situation then my bad. I'm happy to differ to the thread regulars. If that's the case, then please pardon my Kramering. But this thread has had a fair portion of SH/SC reports recently and that was my read.

If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, regarding this thread and wants to PM me, I'd be happy to hear it. But otherwise I'll say my apologies and bow out. Thanks and hope y'all are having a good night.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

thanks, if the account was deleted would someone else be able to start fresh on his machine?

I’m not sure and the page doesn’t elaborate. In theory if the iCloud account is deleted, logically the devices associated with that account should disassociate but I have no clue.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Lord Bude posted:

I have never and will never own a second hand anything; the very idea of it revolts me

Finally catching up on this thread, see that even IE posted in it, and then saw this goldmine, to which I can just say: lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Internet Explorer posted:

lol fair nuff but you stumbling in during a very calm and chill discussion around the specifics of Apple's hardware encryption after someone passes. it was a good read you should check it out.

hatty posted:

I’ll be chill when I’m dead

American McGay posted:

Make sure to add a Legacy Contact.

lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

thanks, if the account was deleted would someone else be able to start fresh on his machine?

Pretty sure it depends on the year of the machine. When did they start adding iCloud locks to the Macs?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, clearly, so you'll buy the more expensive macOS version they're surely selling. Right? ....Right?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

actionjackson posted:

I'm sure he already mentioned he had the death certificate, but he said apple support told him he needed a court order

Ah apologies, here in Australia you don't need a court order, a death cert and proof of being next of kin suffices.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m not paying money a second time for a game I already own just because someone decided to poo poo all over the original art and call it a new game. I’ve seen footage. The original is superior.

It has a toggle to use the original graphics.

E: and playing with a controller is fun. The new rune words, skill balancing, bug fixes, QoL improvements, and new items and events are also cool

It's honestly one of the best remasters I have seen.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 24, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

Well, clearly, so you'll buy the more expensive macOS version they're surely selling. Right? ....Right?

Oh, yeah, didn’t think of a separate Mac native version

:capitalism:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kibner posted:

E: and playing with a controller is fun. The new rune words, skill balancing, bug fixes, QoL improvements, and new items and events are also cool

Yeah that's a really strange opinion to see. The Diablo 2 Remaster was done extremely well with all respect for the original game. The only thing I'd fault it for is killing off multiplayer mod support.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kibner posted:

But you can play with the original graphics for free with the copy you already own. If you accept the notion that the original graphics are superior then there isn’t a point to buying the remaster. Personally the only time I like using a game pad is if I’m playing a 2d side scroller, or shmup, or similar old school console style game. Anything else just feels wrong to me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah that's a really strange opinion to see. The Diablo 2 Remaster was done extremely well with all respect for the original game. The only thing I'd fault it for is killing off multiplayer mod support.

I just fundamentally object to the concept of remastering games for the most part. It implies a belief that newer audiences can’t appreciate older forms of art - they can; and I’d rather the next generation of kids get to appreciate the original art than the new version. I will say that D2R did a much better job of it than other remasters - all the final fantasy remasters on pc/iOS stand out as godawful for example with the gorgeous original snes pixel art replaced with the godawful low res 3D models from the crappy gba port.

But these remasters to me are kinda like how George Lucas redid Star Wars a million times adding new effects and changing it up; it’s just completely unneeded and detracts from the original.

Or if film studios decided nobody can appreciate old movies and we’re going to digitally colour all old black and white films and dub old silent movies with soundtracks and new voice actors. There would be an outcry.

Edit; this is all totally different to rereleasing games with the necessary work to keep them running properly on modern computers; like say GoG often does, which is very good.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 24, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s frustrating. I’ve heard for other apps that they disable it because don’t want the support overhead of dealing with customer problems on a platform they don’t test on. Since game publishers are an incredibly mixed bag of keeping their games running on even iOS I imagine it’s similar resourcing decisions.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
The D2 remaster not being available on MacOS is disappointing, but I’m really upset about D4 being PC/console-only.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Lincoln posted:

The D2 remaster not being available on MacOS is disappointing, but I’m really upset about D4 being PC/console-only.

Yea that is inexcusable, especially considering they did a ton of work with WoW to make it AS native so they have the in house tech.

But again I’m guessing it will run well in crossover or VM since blizzard have traditionally made sure their games aren’t demanding to run.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...D102322_POWERON

Mark Gurman mentions that the new M2 Mac Pro which has been coming like forever now, expected in 2023, is now in testing.

He mentions the following of note (emphasis added):

Gurman guy posted:

While I don’t believe the first Apple Silicon Mac Pro will go on sale until 2023, I know that testing of such a machine has ramped up inside of Apple’s walls.

Let’s start with the more popular machines, though: the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros. I’m told that these laptops will come in M2 Pro and M2 Max configurations. The M2 Max will have 12 CPU cores—made up of 8 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores—and 38 graphics cores. It will also continue to come with up to 64 gigabytes of memory. Those options will be available across both screen sizes.

The Mac mini will get the same M2 chip as the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro, which includes 8 CPU cores and up to 10 graphics cores. The company has also tested an M2 Pro variation of the Mac mini, which—like on the next MacBook Pros—will increase the core counts.

Onto the Mac Pro. That new high-end machine will include chip options that are at least twice or four times as powerful as the M2 Max. Let’s call those chips the M2 Ultra and the M2 Extreme. My belief is that the Mac Pro will be offered with options for 24 and 48 CPU cores and 76 and 152 graphics cores—along with up to 256 gigabytes of memory.

In fact, I can share one configuration of the Mac Pro in active testing within Apple: 24 CPU cores (16 performance and 8 efficiency cores), 76 graphics cores and 192 gigabytes of memory. That particular machine is running macOS Ventura 13.3. Ventura 13.0, the first version of the new macOS, is launching Monday.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
More like Ace Ventura with how bad the new OS will be

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

follow-up, my dad asked about having his apple ID deleted, send them the death certificate and a document naming him as executor, and they said no, he still needed a court order (???) any other options?

(i'm in the US, I suppose I should have mentioned that)

unrelated, I can't get any feedback in the monitor thread, does anyone here use a 32" 4k monitor as an external display for a mac laptop? I don't need anything fancy whatever (hence my budget is <500), just somewhat decent speakers really, and 100x100 VESA mount. I often connect display things that are still 1080p (PS4, or remote work desktop), and I don't do anything graphics intensive, hence I don't need anything particularly pricy. I use a fully mount, which says the max monitor size is 32", and this one is half of the mount max weight limit.

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32ul500-w-4k-uhd-monitor

this one is similar, but has two 5W speakers instead of one, so that is probably better for me. Also HDR10 (though I don't know how much I would really notice that)

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32un550-w-uhd-monitor?returnFlag=Y

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 24, 2022

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Mister Facetious posted:

More like Ace Ventura with how bad the new OS will be

I've been using the beta for like 2 months and honestly haven't run into any problems. Nothing close to the disaster of an upgrade I experienced going from Mojave to Catalina. I had to completely wipe and restore my Catalina install THREE TIMES.

The new settings app is terrible, but otherwise it's been fine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I was being facetious ;)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

actionjackson posted:

follow-up, my dad asked about having his apple ID deleted, send them the death certificate and a document naming him as executor, and they said no, he still needed a court order (???) any other options?

unrelated, I can't get any feedback in the monitor thread, does anyone here use a 32" 4k monitor as an external display for a mac laptop? I don't need anything fancy whatever (hence my budget is <500), just somewhat decent speakers really, and 100x100 VESA mount. I often connect display things that are still 1080p (PS4, or remote work desktop), and I don't do anything graphics intensive, hence I don't need anything particularly pricy. I use a fully mount, which says the max monitor size is 32", and this one is half of the mount max weight limit.

this one is similar, but has two 5W speakers instead of one, so that is probably better for me. Also HDR10 (though I don't know how much I would really notice that)

I’d talk to a lawyer. Whatever documents you have naming someone as executor are the legal proof required, and I’m speaking from experience here but in Canada. I don’t know if probate is a thing in the us but I had court documents to prove I was executor and that’s likely what they want.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’d talk to a lawyer. Whatever documents you have naming someone as executor are the legal proof required, and I’m speaking from experience here but in Canada. I don’t know if probate is a thing in the us but I had court documents to prove I was executor and that’s likely what they want.

well yeah, but I mean he only sold it for $300 (imac with a cracked screen), so it's not really worth taking on any expenses

yes probate exists in the US. he already supplied the documents to show he was the executor

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I have never and will never own a second hand anything; the very idea of it revolts me, that was never going to be an option.

I'd try to keep an open mind about this. If you do it right, buying second hand can allow you to acquire what you want, even a latest generation Mac, for anywhere from 20-50% (if you're patient and willing to negotiate) off what you'd pay at retail, with virtually no cosmetic defects. Saving anywhere from $500-$1k+ on a purchase is awesome.

Hell, even buying refurbished from Apple gives you a flawless computer that is, in my experience, cosmetically perfect and indistinguishable from a brand new product for several hundred bucks off.

Not sure if there's a cultural stigma about buying secondhand items where you're from, but in the US it's a nonissue, very common across the breadth of socioeconomic classes, and it makes a lot of sense both financially and environmentally.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 25, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I've had three really bad experiences buying secondhand where the sellers knowingly sold me a lemon. I'll buy refurbished off of apple's website though no question

hatty fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 25, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm still running with an Airport Extreme 802.11ac that I got from the Apple Refurbished Store for $109, it came in a plain white box that as far as I was concerned the same box as retail.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I bought a base mode MacBook Pro 14” off Reddit’s hardware swap for $1460, no taxes required. It came with a couple extra accessories and AppleCare reports the purchase date in august of this year. Buying barely used is great! Be very wordy about the product description and details of the trade when negotiating and paypal will have your back if anything goes wrong.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Seconding comatoast, I've bought dozens and dozens of items from the various swap reddits, and never once had an issue. Most of these people are just nerds with spare income who get way too deep into hobbies and sell the stuff they no longer use. Just look at peoples post history and you can easily tell if it's someone who is just a regular passionate nerd with a post history, or if its some account where all they do is buy/sell/trade to flip poo poo for money.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

my M1 Pro MB will be the best because it's number one :colbert:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

actionjackson posted:

is the document naming him an executor specifically from a court and mentioning Apple? it has to be from a court and mention Apple.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208510

quote:

In the U.S. and other locales, you can request access to a deceased person’s Apple ID and data with a court order that names you as the rightful inheritor of your loved one’s personal information. In some jurisdictions, such as France, Germany, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, alternative documentation and process instead of a court order are accepted.

Where applicable, the court order needs to specify:

- The name and Apple ID of the deceased person.
- The name of the next of kin who is requesting access to the decedent’s account.
- That the decedent was the user of all accounts associated with the Apple ID.
- That the requestor is the decedent’s legal personal representative, agent, or heir, whose authorization constitutes "lawful consent.”
- That Apple is ordered by the court to assist in the provision of access to the decedent’s information from the deceased person's accounts. The court order should be addressed to the relevant Apple entity.

there is not any shortcuts around this

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That seems to be if you want to access data. Is there a less stringent process for “guy died, I’d like to wipe the computer and use it without seeing his private data”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Chemmy posted:

That seems to be if you want to access data. Is there a less stringent process for “guy died, I’d like to wipe the computer and use it without seeing his private data”?

denying someone's access to their data is just as bad as looking at their data

they don't tell what's required in the wizard, but I'd assume a court order is also required to delete the account (especially since it makes reference to removing Find My)