Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Nina is just one of those 0083 whats

At least Rebellion has her being a weirdo earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

War and Pieces posted:

Is Gato supposed to be a New type? If so, that may explain Nina's "motivations" in act 3

No, he's not. 0083 is newtype-free.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Probably so people riding Gato's dick could continue their rants about how he totally could have taken Amuro if he hadn't been withdrawn before they could fight it out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Probably so people riding Gato's dick could continue their rants about how he totally could have taken Amuro if he hadn't been withdrawn before they could fight it out.

Doan would have kicked Gato's rear end. Notice how people in Zeon went "Char Vs. Johnny" and "Char Vs. Doan", but never "Char Vs. Gato"?

There's a reason for that.

ZZGundam
Mar 20, 2009

Kanos posted:

No, he's not. 0083 is newtype-free.

Except for a brief Haman Khan cameo in a later episode.

On a 0083 note - does anyone remember/have/know a repository for the the 0083 fansubs circa 1995? I remember the translation for Gato's dialogue giving him a noble/knightly voice (similar to Raoh in FotNS). I've got a VHS copy... somewhere, but i'd like to rebuild a digital copy with the fansub translations as the commercial release is wanting.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

chiasaur11 posted:

Doan would have kicked Gato's rear end. Notice how people in Zeon went "Char Vs. Johnny" and "Char Vs. Doan", but never "Char Vs. Gato"?

There's a reason for that.

That's only because Doan has justice on his side

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I just need to watch AGE, G-Reco, and IBO and then I'll be at the end of my franchise watch and can finish out with Wing. 0083 is definitely staying in my rewatch rotation because my partner and roommate like it and I'm the odd lady out there. I think the only series we all liked were G-Gundam and the original series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AGE being bad is probably the only thing this entire thread can agree on unconditionally. Good luck little homie

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

AGE being bad is probably the only thing this entire thread can agree on unconditionally. Good luck little homie

It is remarkable how I've never met a single person who liked AGE in all these years.

Some of it sounded kinda interesting, too.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tsob posted:

I'd almost wonder if it's not meant to be Kihel rather than Dianna, given the sparkle in her eyes.

it's kind of surreal on Kihel too, tbf. She's more emotive than Dianna but not that much

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

NikkolasKing posted:

It is remarkable how I've never met a single person who liked AGE in all these years.

It has some absolutely fantastic mecha designs but yeah otherwise a letdown

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

The only reason I can't pop up to again say "I think AGE is better than all the tv series made after it with the exception of the original Build Fighters" is because Witch of Mercury currently renders that TBA

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

There's a decent buncha people who like AGE but nobody really feels strongly about AGE.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I listen to a podcast that rates Gundam Age pretty highly.

They're usually pretty positive on most things, but they absolutely positively *hate* Gundam Build Divers.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

AGE 2's got some decent parts, there's a few characters I really like in AGE, and a lot of fantastic suit designs.

It's still really bad.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tae posted:

They're usually pretty positive on most things, but they absolutely positively *hate* Gundam Build Divers.

What's the podcast?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

Both parts, or does Re:Rise get a pass?

For my part, all I saw of AGE was the Eden movies, which are supposed to be the best parts. I wasn't impressed.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rabbi Tupac posted:

What's the podcast?

https://anchor.fm/japanimationpod

They finished the entire Gundam works (all of it, OVA, movies, etc) in 3 years and generally give an episode or 3 per show or topic. Up until IBO, it was one guy that has watched the show and the other that has never seen it.

Build Divers was the first show they both went in blind and they basically vomited from how boring and bad it was. They uh really didn't like the part where the gamer population wanted to kill a sentient girl to keep their game going.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

AGE is a series where I actually really like a lot of the ideas and broad plot themes they sketch out, they just fumble the execution catastrophically in almost every way.

"What if Amuro took exactly the opposite conclusions away from Lalah's death" is a pretty intriguing concept in broad strokes.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Tae posted:

They finished the entire Gundam works (all of it, OVA, movies, etc) in 3 years and generally give an episode or 3 per show or topic. Up until IBO, it was one guy that has watched the show and the other that has never seen it.

Build Divers was the first show they both went in blind and they basically vomited from how boring and bad it was. They uh really didn't like the part where the gamer population wanted to kill a sentient girl to keep their game going.

Got it, I thought it was those dudes but wasn't sure. There episodes are a bit too long for me but I've caught a few.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

It's not hard to hate Build Divers, let's be fair.

The first series, not Re:Rise of course.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

thats the most realistic a gundam anime has ever been

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kanos posted:

AGE is a series where I actually really like a lot of the ideas and broad plot themes they sketch out, they just fumble the execution catastrophically in almost every way.

"What if Amuro took exactly the opposite conclusions away from Lalah's death" is a pretty intriguing concept in broad strokes.

It's one of those series you could probably do some fantastic things with in SRW but we'll very likely never see it again after it's token appearance

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm watching their Wing review because of course I am.

Interesting they're both younger than me it seems like but I also didn't watch Wing in its original airing. I suppose in a way I can agree with their assessment that Wing appeals "aesthetically" to teenagers since it talks a lot about deep stuff but has little substance to much of it. It's just that this reminds me how, when I first was going to watch Wing, I learned it came out basically at the same time as Eva. Somebody had told me "Wing is about a bunch of secret organizations upon secret organizations who secretly run everything." And I was like "ohhh. just like Eva!" They quickly told me no, no, no, nothing like Eva. And they were right but my point is just that Eva is a much more serious show with perhaps a lot more substance to what it's saying but I don't know if it differed terribly from Wing in its appeal to teenagers. So I think it's almost irrelevant to say Wing itself was superficial or not because people superficially embrace even serious media.

They also comment on how talky Wing is and how this is notable since the Tomino Gundams had way more action and this focus on dialogue is out of sorts with the Toonami crowd. Wing was even paired with DBZ in a promo they sampled in the podcast. But they had also just mentioned Rumiko Takahashi and Inuyasha - Inuyasha would go on to be one of Adult Swim's biggest hits and that show is pretty substantially more character drama than action series. So it isn't surprising teens can love drama and focus on characters even more than pew pew.

Also the one guy thinks the initial idea was for Relena to be a "normal" central figure whose only abnormal because she's rich vs. all these traumatized child soldiers. Quite frankly, Relena's wealth is the most normal thing about her so I don't buy this speculation at all. Relena establishes her nuttiness is on par with Heero's from the word go. They really seem to want Wing to have ben more generic. Like, the one dude even says it should be like an otome with Relena as the lead surrounded by the Wing boys in her harem. They say Heero and Relena don't work like Domon and Rain do, even though that's because Heero and Relena are nothing like either of those characters.

At least one criticism of theirs I've seen before is how the school setting is brought up and then just dropped and forgotten about. I've never seen Full Metal Panic but that is what they compared it to and said it should have been. I think they also echo a common sentiment in that they feel the second half of the anime is weaker than the first, the anime's ending sucks, and Endless Waltz's is better. I personally disagree with all of this since Dorothy and Relena is only in the second half, and I feel EW adds almost nothing of worth to the plot. Wufei is a bad guy for five minutes and doesn't even die as a result of it.

I never did think about how Wing is pretty unique in having no central authority figure like a Bright. Wing and 00 get compared a lot but 00 had the computer giving directives and there was a central command of sorts. Wing, everybody is just off doing their own thing and I can see how it feels aimless. Just 'cuz I might not agree with their takes doesn't mean I won't acknowledge where Wing is nonsensical or why people would see certain things as bad.

Oh my god, they just declared Dorothy is the worst character in the show. I think I am done now.

Also, speaking of Eva and Gundam, I recently learned some kind soul ripped all the Platinum Collection content off the old, super expensive Eva DVDs and put them on the Internet Archive. With the new SEED dub, I figure the old one will be hard to find. Then I learned the entire anime is on the Archive as well with the original English dub. Does anyone know why there are two versions of Episode 33 to download? Is that the one where Kira killed the piano kid in super different ways or something?

Zeta Gundam is on the Archive too. And it uses the Japanese OPs. not the dub OP which was like just he Zeta Gundam theme off the soundtrack.

This saves me a lot of money and is totally legal so far as I know.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 24, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

It's one of those series you could probably do some fantastic things with in SRW but we'll very likely never see it again after it's token appearance

It never actually got to have a token appearance, honestly. The only time it got into SRW it skipped to Gen 3 immediately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its kind of hard to work in honestly. some anime have big timeskips you could futz to make one generation transition work, but i have no idea how you'd make the three generations thing work without time fuckery.

as for it appearing again, itll probably appear again eventually, if only to give it a console appearance (and bandai does put out gunpla of it occasionally), but its not gonna be a frequent appearance the way 00 is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

After watching videos of their interactions in the game it always slightly amuses me that people act like Gato was treated as great in that game. The first time Amuro fights him at Solomon Gato is backed up by two squadmates, which is when Amuro says that he might not have survived if the fight had gone on. It's also just before the RX-78-2 starts to wear out from mechanical stress on the joints at Texas Colony a couple of episodes later, though I doubt the game was taking that into account. More than that though, during the second encounter at A Baoa Qu, Gato is in a Gelgoog on his own and while Amuro starts of by going "this suit's dangerous", once Gato retreats afterwards Amuro goes "he's running away?" in a disbelieving voice, before immediately going "well, I guess Char will be here soon" as if he found the fight kind of unremarkable beyond the fact Gato simply ran off part way through.

Mind you, the fact Amuro is anticipating Char turning up is also kind of weird because it's notable during the show/movies that Amuro is specifically going out of his way to avoid Char during the entirety of A Baoa Qu and is continuously frustrated that Char keeps hunting him down to force a fight since Amuro just wants to help Federation forces breach A Baoa Qu to end the war faster, since he's gotten tired of all the fighting after killing Lalah by accident.

Yinlock posted:

it's kind of surreal on Kihel too, tbf. She's more emotive than Dianna but not that much

It's not so much about how emotive they are, it's that the only two real tells in the anime about which is Dianna and which is Kihel is that (1) Dianna has fairer skin than Kihel, since she spent so much of her life either indoors or in cryostasis and (2) the color of Dianna's eyes is flat, while Kihel's have shine to them.

The eyes on that cover are very sparkly, which makes it look more like Kihel than Dianna. The skin tone is more Dianna than Kihel, but the eyes are more Kihel than Dianna. It's just a different artists interpretation of Dianna, devoid of context from the show and so allowed to be happier, more expressive etc. than she was there since that's what the artists wanted, but it does look weird regardless since it's so out of tone with the show.

Seemlar posted:

The only reason I can't pop up to again say "I think AGE is better than all the tv series made after it with the exception of the original Build Fighters" is because Witch of Mercury currently renders that TBA

I think that's either a very harsh judgement of G no Reconguista, Iron Blooded Orphans and Build Divers Re:rise or a very forgiving judgement of Gundam AGE; maybe both. I'm not a huge fan of either G-Reco or IBO, and think G-Reco squeezed too much plot into too small an episode count, destroying the pacing and leaving the world building (or maybe world exploration) very starved, while I find IBO kind of boring on the whole but both are a country mile better than AGE; which is both boring and a loving mess narratively, thematically etc. It also basically had no world building beyond whatever was directly necessary to tell that episode's story. It's basically all the problems of the other two shows, but more so and with other problems to boot. It had nice animation, some decent mech design and I even kind of liked the goofier character designs of the first generation for harkening back to older 60s/70s style character design, but that's about the kindest things you can say about it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 24, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Seemlar posted:

What's your beef with Re Rise?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dianna is very mysterious

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And yeah, I'm genuinely not seeing how AGE can be better than IBO. That show just eclipses it on every level.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I am fond of AGE.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

And yeah, I'm genuinely not seeing how AGE can be better than IBO. That show just eclipses it on every level.

There's a very small but vocal community that hates IBO.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I kinda hate it though I'll admit a large part of that is what I wanted outta a Mari Okada-written Gundam was vastly different from what it was.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Naze and his harem might get softened down as the show progresses but that first bit in space with the turbines, the secret alive and now dead brother arc and the slow burn of joining the yakuza really is terrible. Show starts strong, then plunges off a cliff for a good four or five episodes until they finally settle on the workers revolution and things get good again.

But it's a deep dumb stupid pit of fanservice and forced melodrama they need to climb, first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Gripweed posted:

At least that person is gone because he went frothing at....Kaguya Love is War of all things (??)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arc Hammer posted:

Naze and his harem might get softened down as the show progresses but that first bit in space with the turbines, the secret alive and now dead brother arc and the slow burn of joining the yakuza really is terrible. Show starts strong, then plunges off a cliff for a good four or five episodes until they finally settle on the workers revolution and things get good again.

But it's a deep dumb stupid pit of fanservice and forced melodrama they need to climb, first.

Yeah that's where I stopped watching. I don't think the show is bad, since everything I hear about what happens after is good, but that batch of bad episodes got me to drop it. One day I'll give it another shot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tae posted:

At least that person is gone because he went frothing at....Kaguya Love is War of all things (??)

I don't hate IBO

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is a petty complaint about IBO but I wish it had gone a bit further with the class warfare stuff and had Kudelia be a local agitator rather than a social elite philanthropist. I say it's petty because Gundam loves its princesses, be they monarchist or economic. I doubt that the franchise is ever going to drop that particular convention, but it would be nice to see it happen just once. Ditch the sympathetic member of social elite class and entirely go with lower class underdogs eating the rich.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean our princess this season hates being a princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

This is a petty complaint about IBO but I wish it had gone a bit further with the class warfare stuff and had Kudelia be a local agitator rather than a social elite philanthropist. I say it's petty because Gundam loves its princesses, be they monarchist or economic. I doubt that the franchise is ever going to drop that particular convention, but it would be nice to see it happen just once. Ditch the sympathetic member of social elite class and entirely go with lower class underdogs eating the rich.

It's unlikely to happen because it's being produced and paid for by rich people, so they have a vested interest in not endorsing a message of "eat the rich" that's unilateral in it's approach. Having at least one sympathetic rich person is a vested interest. Also generally accurate historically, since most revolutions have some rich people backing them rather than being all lower class underdogs.