Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The AI empires and hordes that already exist in Stellaris are "off" unless you trigger something, in which case they come and invariably beat you up (unless its late game). The latecomers are never going to be a threat. The AI of these entities are not important for game balance.

Stellaris is functionally symmetry in starts because the game is not about a fully populated galaxy with extent borders. You can make the AI try to develop as fast as it can and it is fine, the player gets the same means and similar amount of time to do 4x things. Slight differences in starting planet count are incomparable to the situation in other Pdox games, where the player can start surrounded by the equivalent of an active fallen empire.

There is also only one form of transportation in Stellaris, as well as a much more constrained map, which simplifies AI development and also makes them look better.

You ignored part of my post and managed to be wrong even beyond that. Congratulation, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elendil004 posted:

Also another LP from a guy I like, Stakuyi, he does longer stuff but cuts all the chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdggAaBMRo

Don't ask how he pronounced Hegemony though.

Huh, apparently you can undo or stop the Trail of Tears with the right laws?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Huh, apparently you can undo or stop the Trail of Tears with the right laws?

so granted i havent watched it yet, but really not sure how you can undo a genocide >_>''

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

By returning people their land and stopping the forced removals then still ongoing.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

i guess im just thinking of the thousands of lives lost before the game had even begun

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Probably gonna try France first actually since it has multiple achievements.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elendil004 posted:

This is the worst part of youtube videos* from native English-speakers, too often do they appear to show no care for pronouncing things correctly - hell, some of them don't even do it when the game in question actually tells them the pronunciation.

*apart from the hosed-up politics of a lot of them seem to have.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

that's how it is pronounced. he might have had a bit of the usual american vowel-blending in there i guess

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

pdxjohan posted:

He failed the programmer skill tests, but i liked his passion so hired him as an AI dev.

The community must misinterpret it as "Paradox hires people who can't code to write AI" just like we've twisted the quote about balancing EU4 for MP.

TwoQuestions posted:

Other than that, I'm seriously at a loss. I also keep hearing about how it's supposedly a knockoff Anno game, but it doesn't have any of the political intrigue that Victoria does.

I want a good game. I think a lot of games are hampered by the idea of what you must include in the game of this genre, so I think it's a good sign devs are willing to throw out troop control. I also don't buy into "wide as an ocean deep as a puddle" arguments. The worst kind of game to me is the one that seem to have great ideas and systems hampered but issues with balance or AI that usually seem to be just an issue of polish.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ilitarist posted:

The community must misinterpret it as "Paradox hires people who can't code to write AI" just like we've twisted the quote about balancing EU4 for MP.
i dont think the former is something we knew before, don't weirdly speculate like that lol

for the latter - the twisting isn't the problem so much as misunderstanding that paradox games against the AI -are still multiplayer- in a balance sense.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Programming interviews are garbage anyway. Nobody actually programs like they interview!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ilitarist posted:

The worst kind of game to me is the one that seem to have great ideas and systems hampered but issues with balance or AI that usually seem to be just an issue of polish.

Yeah, this is the absolute worst. If a game totally sucks who cares, if it has 95% of what's needed to be really fun but has one major balance issue or AI weakness which removes the challenge it's just frustrating.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Obliterati posted:

:siren:It's time. Signups for the first ever Victoria 3 Saturday game, 8PM UTC, are now live on the Discord!:siren:

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Dorstein posted:

Programming interviews are garbage anyway. Nobody actually programs like they interview!

Yeah this. I know its hard to come up with a relatively quick and universal test to gauge someone's career-long expertise in a topic, but pretty much every programming test Ive seen (in the games industry anyway) is more about catching people out on some obscure point of OOP that they will probably never encounter in the real world (or if they do, they will have the benefit of the internet to figure it out).

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Myssu posted:

Yeah this. I know its hard to come up with a relatively quick and universal test to gauge someone's career-long expertise in a topic, but pretty much every programming test Ive seen (in the games industry anyway) is more about catching people out on some obscure point of OOP that they will probably never encounter in the real world (or if they do, they will have the benefit of the internet to figure it out).

One day I will have to implement my own HashMap for some insane reason and then the knowledge of its inner workings burned into my brain by all the interviews will finally be useful.

Waifu Radia posted:

i dont think the former is something we knew before, don't weirdly speculate like that lol

My English fails me, of course I've jokingly meant that the community will surely interpret Johan's message in a wrong way.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Joined and for the saturday game and for possible pop up games on tuesday.

Lets goooooo

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Oh also:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluN63A_Nhg mexico stream

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Waifu Radia posted:

for the latter - the twisting isn't the problem so much as misunderstanding that paradox games against the AI -are still multiplayer- in a balance sense.

i don’t think so. the AI in paradox games isn’t there to try to “win”.

it would be cool to have a feature where a country or three would run a player-like AI, but also an insanely expensive feature that most people would ignore because the sandbox AI is fun

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Elendil004 posted:

Also another LP from a guy I like, Stakuyi, he does longer stuff but cuts all the chaff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHdggAaBMRo

A little uncanny that you can reform a government manually when there’s an election without changing the president. It’s like they had a breakdown, said “gently caress this” and switched parties mid-term.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

guidoanselmi posted:

A little uncanny that you can reform a government manually when there’s an election without changing the president. It’s like they had a breakdown, said “gently caress this” and switched parties mid-term.

That's a thing that can happen in the US system, see e.g. Jim Jeffords. (It's unlikely to happen at the scale the game represents, of course).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

guidoanselmi posted:

I think it's supposed to represent shifts in thought or dominance of certain factions within an existing government, but sometimes it doesn't really make sense

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think those are presidential elections and parties in power are not supposed to be parliament per se but a more general sense of who's in power. The game doesn't simulate any elections apart from the president.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Maybe they can patch in a legitimacy & radicalism debuff later based on leader personality (Jackson was Radical) and IG clouts. Sure it can happen but it’s not going to be consequence-free.

^ just gotta wait for the America DLC

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dammit Fanatical give me my key.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

guidoanselmi posted:

Maybe they can patch in a legitimacy & radicalism debuff later based on leader personality (Jackson was Radical) and IG clouts. Sure it can happen but it’s not going to be consequence-free.

^ just gotta wait for the America DLC

I bet they could hammer the pop system into a legitimate system of intra-/inter-party politics, complete with coalition forming, coalition breaking, primary elections and more. The "Parliamentary Politics" DLC would be a sure-fire win, imo.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

You have enough reasons to go glorious 1 party state already.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ilitarist posted:

One day I will have to implement my own HashMap for some insane reason and then the knowledge of its inner workings burned into my brain by all the interviews will finally be useful.

I once got asked in an interview the "how would you detect a cycle in a linked list?" question, I struggled for a bit to come up with an answer that wasn't "use an array?" but didn't manage to. Later when I googled the questions, I think I asked about it in the SA job interview thread, I learned that this question was basically impossible to guess the correct answer to if you never encountered it before or otherwise weren't crunching interview questions/leetcode.

They accepted that answer and eventually actually hired me, but I wonder if I somehow managed to filibuster the question to the point they couldn't follow up with "no an array uses memory" or if they didn't know the point of the question was to try to get the "use two pointers" solution. Maybe they didn't care and just wanted to know what solution I'd come up with.

I thought I bombed that interview. :haw: I worked there foe three years!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I have bought Victoria 3.
Hype levels at max.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Got my steam key. Now at what time does the game unlock?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am sold:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lmao GOTY.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I love the way war appears to work in this game. It's pretty much everything I've ever wanted from a Paradox game - I hate micromanaging stacks during wars. Should be interesting to see how everything shakes out in the actual game.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dirk the Average posted:

I love the way war appears to work in this game. It's pretty much everything I've ever wanted from a Paradox game - I hate micromanaging stacks during wars. Should be interesting to see how everything shakes out in the actual game.

how does it feel to be part of the masses for whom the game was dumbed down? :smuggo:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Popoto posted:

how does it feel to be part of the masses for whom the game was dumbed down? :smuggo:

Pretty good!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Holy poo poo :vince:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Popoto posted:

Fantastic! And I know your comment is in jest, but a "dumbed down" system isn't a bad thing here because the AI also has to use the system. I love the idea of focusing on the big-picture economic management and diplomatic maneuvering while the generals do the actual fighting for me. It's just so much better than needing to individually move every single army to the point where my wrist starts to hurt after a couple of hours of playing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I don’t think it’s dumbed down it just kind of takes your hand out of war and makes it much less in your control. Which some people like I guess but I prefer to control what happens in war and the economy

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

cool av posted:

i don’t think so. the AI in paradox games isn’t there to try to “win”.

it would be cool to have a feature where a country or three would run a player-like AI, but also an insanely expensive feature that most people would ignore because the sandbox AI is fun

Add a PVP enabled setting, where another player can dark souls into your session and take control of an AI country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It just moves where the control happens. It makes diplomacy and making alliances and getting allies in war much more important, as well as building up your war industries and military forces. If you want to actually be a war mongering power you have to build your country towards it instead of it just being something you do on the side.