Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Serephina posted:

What arrests his fall at the end? Surely it's not just the other guy catching him, the angle is too steep?

Also what is that twine he was using at the start? I need to ask my rock climbing friends wtf is going on here.

The safety line is anchored at multiple points, one gave way but the next one held. Or at least that’s what I’m guessing, not a rock climber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/uXCucC1.mp4

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Serephina posted:

What arrests his fall at the end? Surely it's not just the other guy catching him, the angle is too steep?

Also what is that twine he was using at the start? I need to ask my rock climbing friends wtf is going on here.

Partner, who is currently fixated on rock climbing, tells me it's the carabiner connection that's failing here. If you go through it slow you can see the carabiner just before the fall. Apparently, there's a right and a wrong way to tie yourself in there, and it's not hard to do it wrong by accident. That or the piton (spike hammered into rock face) pulled out.

Rock climbing is for totally crazy people, if you browse the OSHA thread regularly I assure you that you will enjoy the documentary Free Solo. I will never get over the fact that they proved Alex Honnold does not have the ability to feel fear like a normal human does, it's the only thing that can explain him.

Just in case you thought the water matters:

Serephina posted:

I am given to understand that the thickness of the line is not a good indicator of how strong the line is. Yes, the thickest lines are strongest, but you'd be amazed at how thin a rope that will stop you falling at terminal velocity can be. If the knot is strong enough (key point, that) at the connection point, a very skinny rope will hold up to the forces of your idiot frame being whipped into a pretzel just fine.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 24, 2022

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Serephina posted:

In lead climbing, you have a stretchy dynamic rope attached to your harness. The rope goes down to your partner (belayer) and through a belay device which makes it easy for them to switch between locking off the rope and letting it run so you have more slack to climb higher. You climb up a bit, then clip the rope through a piece of protection (something attached to the rock + carabiner) that's either permanently installed or you temporarily install as you go.

When you fall, the belayer locks off the rope so that there's no more supplied, then you fall from however far you are above your last protection to that far below, hanging from the top protection. The rope is stretchy so that it isn't a hard stop.

In the picture, it looks like he fell, then the top protection bolt also came out, so he fell further until the 2nd topmost protection caught him. He fell from rope going (belayer up to protection #1 up to protection #2 up some amount above that) to (belayer up to protection #1 back down to where he stops).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly, I think I made the right life choice to sit inside looking at pictures of rock climbers from my couch, rather than ever climbing a rock myself.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
My daughter has shown some real interest in rock climbing* and this page is making me break into a cold sweat.

*and some ability. Yesterday I saw lift her foot to a new hold at her own shoulder level and crank on up like some kind of spider.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The protection is almost certainly stuff placed in that narrow crack in the rock they're climbing up. If you place your protection badly then it can slip out, and then you're falling down to where your previous bit of protection was placed. Hopefully you placed that one better.

Pitons permanently scar the rock (especially when you're taking them out), so they're generally not used if you have other options. Instead you have cams that expand inside the crack and wedge themselves against the sides, then you can release them to take them out more easily.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Serephina posted:

Edit how did I miss like eight posts on this.

I don't think the rope broke, I think the anchor came out. He's lead climbing, not top roping. As you lead climb, you bring the rope along with you, and you slip it into gadgets that are anchored into the wall. You climb ten feet to the next anchor, slip the rope in, climb ten more, slip the rope in, and so on. It looks like the anchor holding the gadget came out of the rock wall as soon as he put weight on it. He's got ten feet of rope between him and the next anchor below him, so he falls twenty feet before his fall is arrested.

The bottom dude standing on the ground holds the bottom end of the rops, so if the top guy falls bottom guy takes the weight and might shoot up a little bit, stopping the top guy's fall.

I've seen climbers land rear end first onto the climber below them from a fall like this, causing concussions.

Top roping is where you're tied to the ceiling or the top of the cliff. It's much easier.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 24, 2022

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

sigher posted:

What is it even supposed to do, clean the floors? What is this Walmart Zamboni thing?

ilmucche posted:

It doesn't look like a floor zamboni because it doesn't have the spinny waxer thing on the front

It's a floor Zamboni* that cleans and slightly polishes the floor. That one looks like the type that has two brushes (usually more like sandpaper) spinning in a metal box directly underneath, like the blades on a lawn tractor. The edge is the red rubber strip that helps keep the water it's spraying from going everywhere. On the back you can see a red rubber squeegee attached to what is basically a shop vac hose to suck all the grimey water back up. Both the squeegee and the brush container thingy are raised up and not cleaning.

*Technically if it isn't made by the Zamboni company it's a sparkling ice resurfacing floor polishing machine.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

sigher posted:

What is it even supposed to do, clean the floors? What is this Walmart Zamboni thing?

I know Walmart has warehouses where stock is moved around by robots, but I don't know if that's one or if it's doing something else.

Edit: did not refresh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/scottiebateman/status/1584231324822384640

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheFigen_/status/1583775550006788096?t=Wa3q56LVbYB1bTmA1O0gug&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

And they said practicing 29-point turns would be useless

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

And they said practicing 29-point turns would be useless

i really appreciate that you bothered to count them

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Why would he just not reverse down to the much wider and easier to negotiate dirt road?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The ford's been about 2 feet deep over the last couple of days due to heavy rains. If you'd think no one is dumb enough to still try to negotiate that in a car, you clearly haven't been subscribed to OG-Rufford-Ford-channel Tom Sunderland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfUY17RwXIM

But I've never seen a motorcycle send it that loving hard, Jesus Christ. :stare:

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I love the guy that got out of his car thinking, "drat, I gotta watch this unfold."

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

there's gotta be a better way

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Big wince at 1:43, luckily the lighter end failed first

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

But...why is he trying to split the rock?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Clear land for grazing or farming or building structures? Are you serious?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Shooting Blanks posted:

But...why is he trying to split the rock?

What else is he gonna split? Gotta split something!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

There's a big rock here. We better leave it alone because

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mister Speaker posted:

I've seen a video about these guys before. There's a whole science to it, almost. You can see the guy 'reading the rock' to see exactly how it's going to split.

You can also tell from his safety sprint that it's really scientific, like he completely trusts that he read it right.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Lol.

He's a scientist hitting a rock with a hammer

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Original source, looks like it may be from a quarry:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7035716153284529410

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Shoes are on.

Alternately,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mOWSlGrAnk

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 24, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

All the best drivers repeatedly slam the front of their car into a rock face after trying to drive up a flight of stairs (???).

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

i'd probably just back up down the stairs with someone to tell me how far i went on the end... but... guy did a good drive. shocked he didn't end up off the end when the back tire went out several times

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

bizwank posted:

Big wince at 1:43, luckily the lighter end failed first

Looking at that again: it's not even the rope that failed...it took the loving towing eye out.

That's basically not possible unless they somehow used the wrong towing eye and it didn't match the threading of the van.

But then I have no idea how they screwed it in :shrug:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Serephina posted:

A little late to the party but that persons protection failed to protect them when they took the fall. A lot of climbing where I am doesn't use fixed protection and you place it as you climb. If it's not placed properly or is marginal it'll fail as you fall. Theres been more than a few people here who have zippered a full line of protection and hit the ground either dying or seriously maiming themselves. I have managed to end up with a rope wrapped around one of the pieces of protection and being the second up the cliff I had to untangle it so we could keep moving.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

https://i.imgur.com/YUTrF7j.mp4

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That's what you get for trying to put your greasy hands on the glass to open a door, instead of the handle or frame.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/6Xhu5YS.mp4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

At least he was wearing safety goggles?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Welcome to flavor town!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Testing your mom's NuvaRing is not for the faint hearted.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pfft, rock climbing is for chumps. True truckfucklers climb vertical I-beams with custom-welded sandals!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CkC5b5CJ9Xv/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Lol rookie mistake you can see right where the bead is not set and never wanna have your face anywhere near there or you get "the money shot" also he's using waaaay too much tire lube.
When bored we used to gently caress around and put poo poo on the tire right at that spot and when it pops you can launch tire weights or whatever 30 feet into the air. Good times.

On the subject of robots when I worked at a cafe located within a hospital we would take the trash down to a room in specific trash totes (Bio waste. Regular waste, and recycling) and robots would pick them up and take them down a long hallway. Then 10 min later would return with the totes empty. The janitors had a make shift break room down there and would be chilling talking poo poo waiting for their tote to return. All of them were funny as poo poo and i loved talking to them. The cool part was on busy days the robots would get bunched up and delayed and you chilled down there milking the clock for up to half an hour at times not doing poo poo.

Only place I worked at where you got excited to take the trash out.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Why is tire guy being filmed doing a routine and otherwise uninteresting task?