Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alternatively you can hit them with status effects and then do a regular technical attack on them, which I believe don't get the 3x damage bonus. Or you can just drop the difficulty to hard, do a couple fights to pick up some Personas, then jack it back up to Merciless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

How the hell I am supposed to get new personas while playing on merciless?

I used the item weapons you can either make or get from the DLC. That’s set 50 damage even if it’s a crit. Helped me get a few I bowled over handily in palace 1.

You can also beat the stuffing out of them with regular or gun attacks until they get to a sliver of health and they may come to you directly. I recruited at least two shadows that way

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

HootTheOwl posted:

Also I like Igor's VA from p4g more than this guy

I like the deep voice more but that might just be bias because I loved his work as Grigori

amigolupus posted:

People keep bringing up how the Japanese version somehow made Morgana better, but... it really doesn't??? He's still constantly simping and putting Ann up on a pedestal. A creep is still a creep, flowery language or not.

Let's not forget his whole shtick started because he saw a scantily clad ditz version of her in an abuser's mind

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think it was ann going HAM with a broadsword that actually kick-started his infatuation with her

vvv: well then.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 23, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oxxidation posted:

i think it was ann going HAM with a broadsword that actually kick-started his infatuation with her

Nah

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are enemies meant to be one-shotting you with their physical skills or am I just underleveled?

Been playing Merciless (Hard in Palace 1 cause I wanted to negotiate) and it seems like enemies and mini-bosses that use physical skills are capable of OHKO-ing my teammates. Shikiouji or whatever from Madarame's dungeon will take down everyone that's not Ryuji in a single blow, and back in Kamoshida's Palace on Hard, Slime OHKO'd Ann despite Ann guarding.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah your party can absolutely get OHKO'd in merciless, particularly early on.

For minibosses who don't have weaknesses, you should be inflicting status ailments on them to make their turns worthless and then do technical damage. Ann either starts with or very quickly learns a sleep spell which is great for this, Joker gets access to some pretty quickly too, just keep up with collecting masks.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

babypolis posted:

How the hell I am supposed to get new personas while playing on merciless?

This basically stops being an issue after Palace 1. In Palace 1 first there are fusions and then you can resummon your personas and refuse them, second you get personas that are too low level surrendering. Second a single bullet will not kill either of the gun-vulnerable personas in that palace. Finally you can find any personas you've missed by trawling Mementos and running over them once you've levelled up Ryuji.

If you've got jack-o-lantern you're pretty much home and dry. For the best persona for Kamoshida you want Obaryon or Slime for physical resist with Obaryon being lower level. To get Obaryon fuse Arsene and Pixie into Agathion. Then fuse Agathion and Arsene into Succubus. Then Succubus and Agathion into Obaryon. To get slime of course you need an incubus and a succubus.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

Yeah your party can absolutely get OHKO'd in merciless, particularly early on.

For minibosses who don't have weaknesses, you should be inflicting status ailments on them to make their turns worthless and then do technical damage. Ann either starts with or very quickly learns a sleep spell which is great for this, Joker gets access to some pretty quickly too, just keep up with collecting masks.

Yeah I've been relying on statuses more often than I did in baseline P5 (or P4 or P3). Only issue is when the turn order gets sorta hosed and I end up going Ann -> MC (when MC has Frei to trigger weaknesses) so a knockdown is wasted.

At least Morgana has a status spell now too.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Are enemies meant to be one-shotting you with their physical skills or am I just underleveled?

Been playing Merciless (Hard in Palace 1 cause I wanted to negotiate) and it seems like enemies and mini-bosses that use physical skills are capable of OHKO-ing my teammates. Shikiouji or whatever from Madarame's dungeon will take down everyone that's not Ryuji in a single blow, and back in Kamoshida's Palace on Hard, Slime OHKO'd Ann despite Ann guarding.

On Merciless I don't expect OHKO from physical but certainly do from weaknesses. But it's sounding not so much as if you're underlevelled as you haven't upgraded their armour.

Shiki-Ouji, when you first meet one, is harder than most bosses and I was still using my fused version right into the sixth palace even if I'd replaced all their skills by that point. You have the tools you need by the time you meet one - but you need to know you have them and even then the first one is a hard fight. It's nasty.

Ann can sleep them. You pick up an Atom Ring in a chest right at the start of Madarame's palace for one of your party members. And Joker can either sleep them or grab Frei from a Shiisaa or a Suzaku.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 24, 2022

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Haven't played a Persona game before, but I'm thinking about trying 5 now that it's out on PC.

Anything I ought to know before playing?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Haven't played a Persona game before, but I'm thinking about trying 5 now that it's out on PC.

Check out the OP, then let us know if you have any questions regarding the info there.

The game is gonna walk you a bit through the first few hours to ease you into things so you don't need to worry too much about getting overwhelmed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

• Personas aren't Pokemon, their movesets are limited and they take ridiculously more exp to level up the farther they get from their base level. Fuse anything that's falling behind, nothing is sacred.
  • You get a game over if Joker falls in battle, even if other PCs are still standing. Protect him with your life.
  • Attacking a weakness or getting a critical hit gives the character that did it an extra turn, in addition to the extra damage, knowing weaknesses is extremely important. This applies to enemies as well, so covering your own weaknesses is also important.
  • The Temperance and Fortune Confidants are very useful for the social sim side of the game, start focusing on them the instant they become available.
  • I haven't played Royal yet, only vanilla Persona 5, but afaik the new story content is locked behind the new characters' Confidants, and I'm sure others will be able to tell you more about that.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Skippy McPants posted:

It's a high school social simulator that occasionally has battles, which have fun mechanics. It gets heavy quickly and then the tone swings wildly the rest of the way, but it's all extremely charming.

The best part? You'll never see it coming.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Use your items. Especially your battle-only items. I think a lot of players don't realize how much useful stuff they accumulate over the course of the game. Items that do fixed damage of a certain element can be crucial in getting full Baton Pass chains. (The game will test your ability to do this later.)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Personas aren't Pokemon, their movesets are limited and they take ridiculously more exp to level up the farther they get from their base level. Fuse anything that's falling behind, nothing is sacred.

I'd half disagree. Your teammates personas are Pokemon - who don't take absurd amounts to level up. Your own personas are just tools.

quote:

Attacking a weakness or getting a critical hit gives the character that did it an extra turn, in addition to the extra damage, knowing weaknesses is extremely important. This applies to enemies as well, so covering your own weaknesses is also important.

This counts double in P5R where you get baton passes.

quote:

The Temperance and Fortune Confidants are very useful for the social sim side of the game, start focusing on them the instant they become available.
I haven't played Royal yet, only vanilla Persona 5, but afaik the new story content is locked behind the new characters' Confidants, and I'm sure others will be able to tell you more about that.

Faith, Councillor, and Sun can get locked if you don't do them in time. Sun's the only one you're likely to lock yourself out of by accident. Oh, and if you don't like the Devil don't worry. No one else does and her abilities are not terribly useful.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How common are treasure demons, I've only found 2 so far and one was the designated fight (that I lost because I didn't have any Nuke skills and the loving thing was immune to Sleep).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

How common are treasure demons, I've only found 2 so far and one was the designated fight (that I lost because I didn't have any Nuke skills and the loving thing was immune to Sleep).
IIRC they're more common on high alert levels.

neonchameleon posted:

I'd half disagree. Your teammates personas are Pokemon - who don't take absurd amounts to level up. Your own personas are just tools.
I probably should have been a bit more specific, yes. Joker's Personas are fusion fodder and shouldn't be kept if they're falling behind. Party members can only use one Persona at a time and can't freely switch like Joker can, they're not even allowed to use the fusion mechanic.

neonchameleon posted:

This counts double in P5R where you get baton passes.
Vanilla P5 had Baton Pass too, it was just handled a bit differently than Royal.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Commander Keene posted:

• Attacking a weakness or getting a critical hit gives the character that did it an extra turn, in addition to the extra damage, knowing weaknesses is extremely important. This applies to enemies as well, so covering your own weaknesses is also important.

To extend on this: bosses are endurance runs, usually with additional mechanics, that have a shitload of HP. Normal battles, on the other hand, are more or less designed to be destroyed in a single turn of exploiting weaknesses before the enemy ever attacks. Limited HP and SP (Mana) is real and in the early game your big limiting factor, so shutting everything down NOW is very important to being able to continue to run through a palace.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm still very early on, I just got past the "He did have a change of heart!" part (trying to be vague, idk about spoilers round here) so maybe this becomes clearer over time but I have a few questions w/r/t capturing personas; should I always be keeping a full party? I only just unlocked the velvet room for fast travel so will I be going to the velvet room mid-run to combine personas to make room to capture more? I get that I can recall personas by spending money after they're registered so should I basically be registering everything I can and keeping open slots to capture more during a run? Or keep all slots filled and replace one I don't need if I find a better one in the palace to capture? Also, does the currently selected persona change the basic attacks too or does it just change which spells are available to me?

I am really loving this game so far. I'm not a big anime guy at all nor have I played a proper JRPG since, like, Skies of Arcadia, but this is really hitting all the right notes for me. I've also been playing on the Xbox Cloud service on my phone using my Razer Kishi controller thing and it's been great. Cloud saves between that and my PC really makes it awesome.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

explosivo posted:

I'm still very early on, I just got past the "He did have a change of heart!" part (trying to be vague, idk about spoilers round here) so maybe this becomes clearer over time but I have a few questions w/r/t capturing personas; should I always be keeping a full party? I only just unlocked the velvet room for fast travel so will I be going to the velvet room mid-run to combine personas to make room to capture more? I get that I can recall personas by spending money after they're registered so should I basically be registering everything I can and keeping open slots to capture more during a run? Or keep all slots filled and replace one I don't need if I find a better one in the palace to capture? Also, does the currently selected persona change the basic attacks too or does it just change which spells are available to me?

I am really loving this game so far. I'm not a big anime guy at all nor have I played a proper JRPG since, like, Skies of Arcadia, but this is really hitting all the right notes for me. I've also been playing on the Xbox Cloud service on my phone using my Razer Kishi controller thing and it's been great. Cloud saves between that and my PC really makes it awesome.

You never want a full party until the endgame. Empty slots make it possible to recruit demons and you should also be regularly fusing your weaker demons into stronger ones. My general rule of thumb is that I want to have acquired in one way or another every demon in a palace by the time I finish with it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hunt11 posted:

You never want a full party until the endgame. Empty slots make it possible to recruit demons and you should also be regularly fusing your weaker demons into stronger ones. My general rule of thumb is that I want to have acquired in one way or another every demon in a palace by the time I finish with it.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

on the other hand it's perfectly possible to catch whatever catches your eye and ignore the rest, no completionism required to finish the 80-hour game.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Started Persona 5 on game pass. It’s my first time playing one of these, is there any content/unlocks/etc tied to the difficulty? Im worried I’ll be potentially locked outta stuff if I ever turn down to easy at some point

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Started Persona 5 on game pass. It’s my first time playing one of these, is there any content/unlocks/etc tied to the difficulty? Im worried I’ll be potentially locked outta stuff if I ever turn down to easy at some point

Nothing's tied to the difficulty.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Nope

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thankfully no demon is ever out of reach. Missed one in the palace? You can find it again in most cases or be able to fuse them in the Velvet Room. Just remember to use the compendium and register ones you like as they can be fusion materials later for when you start rolling in money.

ESPECIALLY for resists, negates and reflects as those are fun to pass along to strange demons.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Spiffster posted:

Thankfully no demon is ever out of reach. Missed one in the palace? You can find it again in most cases or be able to fuse them in the Velvet Room. Just remember to use the compendium and register ones you like as they can be fusion materials later for when you start rolling in money.

ESPECIALLY for resists, negates and reflects as those are fun to pass along to strange demons.

Is there any reason to not just register everything I can every time I'm in the velvet room?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

explosivo posted:

Is there any reason to not just register everything I can every time I'm in the velvet room?

No, the only reason is if you'd be overwriting a duplicate who has an inhereted skill or higher level but it'll ask you for those

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

Most of the time just register. Only time you need to worry is if it’s something you really want to save to pass along or reuse later due to a favorable setup. I have easily overwritten something I was using in a fusion chain to pass along something I wanted to someone later. Thankfully those moments are few and far between and in most cases registering saves you efforts and pain.

Edit: tip: when you get to a certain point in game they will introduce a fun mechanic involving getting random skills assigned to your fusions. If it’s on a very bland demon these can be registered without real consequence and then you can pass along some very fun skills along to your demons. Happy accidents can be very fortunate

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 24, 2022

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Srice posted:

Nothing's tied to the difficulty.

ta :tipshat:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I will note that I found Merciless markedly easier than Hard but YMMV.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That seems to be a common thought

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Paracaidas posted:

Priorities aside—it’s obviously fine if OP wants to breeze through if that’s their jam—I’ll say that as a person who’s only played like fifteen or so hours into Nocturne, and five or six into SMTV, I find normal to be a pretty decent setting.

If you’re good at building a team comp, covering weaknesses, and have as much range in damage types as you can, you’ll breeze. But if you do find yourself on the receiving end of an enemy’s 1 more, or if you don’t have all your bases covered for hitting weaknesses and eat some incidental damage, you’ll get hit hard enough you’ll definitely feel it. It mostly ends up being a resource tax on your healing and a soft test of your team’s shortcomings, but normal definitely won’t let you breeze through the game.

Though I’m noticing that once you’ve got a good setup going, those random damage spikes seem to happen much less often and enemies, minibosses included, tend to fold pretty fast. But it’s nice to know that you can’t get complacent.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am playing Persona 5 on gamepass and this is annoying the gently caress out of me, why is every dialogue choice just repeating the very clear thing the other guy said as a question?

"We need to kill the King in the Palace!" (like we have been talking about incessantly for the last two hours of this game)

Options:

<the Palace?>
<kill the king?>
<huh?>
<...>

it's annoying that my guy is just this drooling dumbass who never has any clue of what's going on but is somehow Very Important

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AndrewP posted:

it's annoying that my guy is just this drooling dumbass who never has any clue of what's going on but is somehow Very Important

Welcome to being the Persona MC!

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Paracaidas posted:

Merciless forces you to play well. If you go in just trying to grind through and button mash and not cover your weaknesses then the main difference between hard and merciless is that you do 65% rather than 80% of baseline damage on your attacks. However damage from weaknesses, crits, and technicals is tripled. This means that if you go in without much planning or research and intend to grind through your foes you can do it on hard and even take a few enemies hitting your and your party member's weaknesses. On merciless you're a glass cannon (as befits a thief) and frequently getting knocked down and taking a 1 more means that it's game over but if you play reasonably smartly you get to absolutely style on enemies.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

At the very least, there's a boss in Royal that is much easier on Merciless than Hard.

drat I wish PS5 had an upgrade option, P5 is a comfy winter game for me but after Strikers at 60fps Royal felt off to me even just moving around.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

AndrewP posted:

This improves somewhat during the social links where you'll have the option of either
    Right response
    Oblivious response
    Deeply troubling response
Or
    Wrong response
    Wrong response
    deeply troublingJesus Christ this one is what the writers think is the right reply?

Skippy McPants posted:

The other thing I'll say is I finished my 80 hour playthrough and nearly immediately got excited to do a newgame+ to catch the content I'd missed, despite not intending to. Doing P5R after P5 felt similarly, just fun to dive back into the world with a better sense of what I was doing.

Also was delightful to realize I had nonS&M themed outfit choices for Panther. Riverdaleass character design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AndrewP posted:

I am playing Persona 5 on gamepass and this is annoying the gently caress out of me, why is every dialogue choice just repeating the very clear thing the other guy said as a question?

"We need to kill the King in the Palace!" (like we have been talking about incessantly for the last two hours of this game)

Options:

<the Palace?>
<kill the king?>
<huh?>
<...>

Part of this is just kind of how Japanese conversations are expected to work, you're supposed to repeat some of the stuff they're saying to let them know you are paying attention, and part of this is just wanting to give Joker some 'dialogue' but not wanting to have him express any sort of opinions or have a personality. It is kind of annoying, yes.