Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

CuddleCryptid posted:

To be clear I'm not saying you can't make a L4D or DbD style game, I mean Vermintide is Warhammer For Dead and it kicks rear end. I was just saying that large publishers are often afraid of being seen with properties that are too close in design to other games.

Sadly true. I just hope Capcom wouldn't hold back or keep making weird games that fail to catch on because of that.

Thirteen years... *stares out at the sunset, thinks about Coach memes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

CuddleCryptid posted:

Part of the issue is that most of the easy wins with the series have already been done in other games. You want asymmetrical multiplayer with hordes of zombies and some specials that are player controlled? Why, you're just ripping off L4D. You want one big monster like Nemesis and four people working together to kill it? Ring ring it's Dead By Daylight (or more accurately Evolve). You just want to stick to basic zeds and have you plow through hordes of them? Well now there just isn't much of a challenge.

It's just hard to translate the RE formula without going full House Of The Dead "sixty zeds on the screen at once" action mode. Even one extra person tends to break the tension of the zombies so you have to do a lot to bring it back when even more are involved.

That's why outbreak is so good. They haven't tapped into the escape room multiplayer demo yet.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

outbreak file 3 when

rox
Sep 7, 2016

excited for re4 remake and sh2 remake tho

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Only place I can think of to ask this extremely dumb question

I was a dumbass and missed the shotgun early in Silent Hill 1 (I believe It's on the floor in one of the school bathrooms or something?) and I'm currently at the point where you get the key for the antique score. Before I backtrack all the way there, can I just go into the building and get it or am I completely boned?

Also lol at Harry's frumpy boot cut jeans. My man is really curvy out here in these spooky streets

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Another silent hill question. Was there any non story point to using the VCR in the hospital? I didn't really understand what it was trying to tell me in that scene

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

I was a dumbass and missed the shotgun early in Silent Hill 1 (I believe It's on the floor in one of the school bathrooms or something?) and I'm currently at the point where you get the key for the antique score. Before I backtrack all the way there, can I just go into the building and get it or am I completely boned?

Also lol at Harry's frumpy boot cut jeans. My man is really curvy out here in these spooky streets

You can also grab the shotgun from the police station on sagan street, but only before a transition to the other world.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Another silent hill question. Was there any non story point to using the VCR in the hospital? I didn't really understand what it was trying to tell me in that scene

I don't know what version of the game you're playing but I just got to this point yesterday and it played this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Feels pretty obvious to me why you'd need it for later in the game tbh

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

If it’s anything like he hospital your probably locked out. I just finished SH1 a few days ago and completely missed an item that would have saved a character because I didn’t realize the door I just unlocked would be locked out a cutscene later :(

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

It’s just backstory on a character. There’s a later point in the game where you can once again use the vcr and it gives you additional backstory details

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Noob Saibot posted:

If it’s anything like he hospital your probably locked out. I just finished SH1 a few days ago and completely missed an item that would have saved a character because I didn’t realize the door I just unlocked would be locked out a cutscene later :(

I haven't played SH1 in probably 8 years at this point and I'm pretty sure I know exactly what item and character you're talking about.

No best ending for you.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Was thinking about how when I was playing Parasite Eve originally when I was eight, that part of the game where you see the New York city street just empty and still and she's in a diner or something? That was so freaking cool to little me.

I haven't played it through more than once, but my memories of it are very fond. I'd love to see a revisit, even if they would have to use a different title now apparently, unless the book author signs off on it.

E: completely unrelated, rumors abound Silent Hill Townfall is in the PT universe. Now, personally, if it's not a hint coming from Dusk Golem I'm not biting, and this is absolutely not from him, but an interesting rumor ntl.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 25, 2022

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Resident Evil games since 7 have been highly acclaimed single player games though? The only dip in quality really was 3, but that's not so much because 3 was bad as it was a little too short and didn't offer much in the way of replay value. I do feel it's silly how Capcom waste resources on multiplayer RE games released for free alongside these single player games when the only multiplayer RE game people want is a remake of the Outbreak games.

Jury's out on Silent Hill. I don't really have much faith in Bloober Team's remake until proven otherwise, but Townsfall and F look like they might be cool.

I just finished reading a history of RE games, and 3's problem was that it was never supposed to be a numbered RE title. It started development as a 6-ish hour side-game to hold people over until the next numbered game came along, and and eventualy management went "nah, this is a mainline RE game now." The producer and developers knew that it wasn't going to be a good mainline title, so they added as much stuff as they could to try and get it up to mainline standards.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
PT: I don't know if there's anything else from a horror game that fills me with so much simultaneous glee and dread like "Look behind you. I SAID, LOOK behind you." :yeshaha:

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

It's been like 8 years and I'm still just as salty about P.T. now as I ever was.

Never even got a chance to get to the ending, dammit.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Wtf is a PT universe. It's one demo

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tired Moritz posted:

Wtf is a PT universe. It's one demo

Yeeaahh, that's one of the reasons I think this rumor doesn't have a foundation

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

So for anyone who has played FAITH Chapter 3: that song that plays during the outdoor, on the street scenes. Is that from something? It sounds really familiar to me and a friend but I can't exactly identify it.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I just finished reading a history of RE games, and 3's problem was that it was never supposed to be a numbered RE title. It started development as a 6-ish hour side-game to hold people over until the next numbered game came along, and and eventualy management went "nah, this is a mainline RE game now." The producer and developers knew that it wasn't going to be a good mainline title, so they added as much stuff as they could to try and get it up to mainline standards.

Originally code Veronica was 3 and 3 was code Veronica but Sony was not cool with a numbered game going to Segas new console and threw a fit over their contract with capcom

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Weren't they talking about RE3make? They mentioned RE games "since 7."

Also while I'm not a huge fan of original RE3, it certainly had replay value, which is anotehr reason I don't think they were talking about it. With all its myriad endings and how your choices switched events around, it might offer the most replay value of any PS1 RE game in a sense.

I'd still recommend just replaying 1 or 2, though. RE3 is...I dunno, Nemesis' gimmick wears on me. And yet he's still a thousand times cooler than he is in 3make.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
RE3 deserves another remake or an extended cut to restore some
Of the lost content. Did it sell well? I remember it came out right at the start of the pandemic’

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

RE3 Remake occupies a weird space where I think it's a fine game, but not a good remake. It might actually be the best playing RE ever made, arguably the best action game in the series, but it's a bad remake of the original. Also, wow is it short. My total playtime on Steam is about 13 hours and I think I finished it at least 4 times.

Looks gorgeous though.

I know there's some mention of remaking Code Veronica, but I think we might be approaching them taking a crack at remaking RE1 again in the current engine and style. They need to tread carefully with that. I still think REmake holds up and remains the best example of how to do a remake in the entire industry - although I am curious to see it from an over the shoulder perspective and looking as good as the RE Engine would allow.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I was talking about the remake of 3.

I also don't think there's a huge drop in quality between OG 2 and OG 3 and think 3 holds up way better than what was intended to be RE3 (Code Veronica), which I'd argue has aged the worst out of all Resident Evil games. The original Resident Evil 3 had a lot of replay value and different branching choices you could make which the remake completely lacks. I'm not even sure if one playthrough of RE3 is shorter than the remake, since the remake cuts about 1/3 of the total playable locations from the original. The remake might honestly be a shorter game.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 25, 2022

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I was talking about the remake of 3.

I also don't think there's a huge drop in quality between OG 2 and OG 3 and think 3 holds up way better than what was intended to be RE3 (Code Veronica), which I'd argue has aged the worst out of all Resident Evil games. The original Resident Evil 3 had a lot of replay value and different branching choices you could make which the remake completely lacks. I'm not even sure if one playthrough of RE3 is shorter than the remake, since the remake cuts about 1/3 of the total playable locations from the original. The remake might honestly be a shorter game.

though this obviously says little about an average playthrough, I got curious and looked up the any% records

Resident Evil: Nemesis came out in 1999 and since then speedrun science has gotten a playthrough down to 40m40s
Meanwhile in like what, 2 and a half years? A top run of RE3make is 42m10s

This makes them sound similar in length but: aside from the fact that in another couple of years someone could halve that time on the remake (the best poo poo is rarely discovered right after a game comes out) the OG Nemesis speedrun record might also involve a metric poo poo ton of unlikely RNG and purestrain animal luck, if I'm understanding correctly, making the fastest time that much more distant from the normal user experience

It's not proof that you're right but it does kind of point toward it

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 25, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

CharlestonJew posted:

im glad your mom got to star in a video game

!!!!

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

It's been like 8 years and I'm still just as salty about P.T. now as I ever was.

Never even got a chance to get to the ending, dammit.

There was a game callled Visage which was aping PT but if i'm honest after like 3-4 hours of the same thing it gets boring. PT might of worked so well because it was a demo.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
also yeah Code Veronica sucked

I've heard it said numerous times that it didn't age well, but frankly I don't think it was born well

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've heard it said numerous times that it didn't age well, but frankly I don't think it was born well

CV ought to work but it's got so many unintentional gotchas (the metal detector box, the swapping weapons between Claire and Chris, that loving tyrant on the plane, monsterfied Steve chasing you) that you can really utterly screw yourself over. Playing it on release without a guide was a huge pain in the rear end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

It was indeed always bad but god I love the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fj_ZbZGtTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J35M1AGVycQ

It so desperately needed a remake. DSC tried to give the characters some personality but it wasn't enough. A full blown remake could have done wonders for all involved.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
CV will always have a special place in my mind because when it came out on the DC it looked insanely good, but Dino Crisis was a better designed full 3d survival horror overall.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I don't know what's up with youtube but ever since I watched those silent hill trailers the algorithm have been serving me "this is why bloober is bad" videos over and over

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the yt content creators are supplying a demand
i didnt even realise bloober team were the ones behind that blair witch game before looking at a thumbnail

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I don't know what's up with youtube but ever since I watched those silent hill trailers the algorithm have been serving me "this is why bloober is bad" videos over and over

I’m guessing there’s a critical shortage of “this is why bloober team is good” videos out there

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Glagha posted:

So for anyone who has played FAITH Chapter 3: that song that plays during the outdoor, on the street scenes. Is that from something? It sounds really familiar to me and a friend but I can't exactly identify it.

It’s a famous piece of classical music- can’t look up which atm.

Edit: you’re thinking of Gnossienne 1 or 3 by Erik Satie.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 25, 2022

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Parasite Eve is very clunky but it’s still a one of a kind 10 hour long horror rpg a genre which includes D2 and uhhhh Veil of Darkness? Sweet Home?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Discendo Vox posted:

It’s a famous piece of classical music- can’t look up which atm.

Edit: you’re thinking of Gnossienne 1 or 3 by Erik Satie.

Oh hey, memories of playing...poo poo, some old-rear end edutainment PC game, with Gnossienne 1 as background music.

Damned if I remember what it was. Just remember it being educational. Welp. This is going to bug me.

Edit: Super Solvers: Ancient Empires, the map music. Holy moly that took me down a hole.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

hemale in pain posted:

There was a game callled Visage which was aping PT but if i'm honest after like 3-4 hours of the same thing it gets boring. PT might of worked so well because it was a demo.
To be fair, Visage was also just kind of boring story-wise on top of having astoundingly dogshit controls.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Morpheus posted:

Oh hey, memories of playing...poo poo, some old-rear end edutainment PC game, with Gnossienne 1 as background music.

Damned if I remember what it was. Just remember it being educational. Welp. This is going to bug me.

Edit: Super Solvers: Ancient Empires, the map music. Holy moly that took me down a hole.

Yep, same here. It’s playable on internet archive btw.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I recently beat At Dead of Night and Mundaun. I haven't played an FMV game since Sewer Shark, so At Dead of Night was a fun novelty. There's something to be said about having a live actor creeping around and spooking you. I jumped more times than I'm proud of. The in-game puzzles and the overall story weren't anything to write home about, but they were decent enough. Mundaun was actually a little disappointing. It has a solid art style and decent gameplay, but it wasn't scary at all. Too much of a slow burn, and I never felt actually threatened.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Anyone here have issues with Phasmophobia's voice chat? There's a considerable delay (like 3-4 seconds) before my teammates can hear me when I speak on local voice. Hoping someone else has run into this problem and figured out a solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Playing silent hill 2 on my og ps3. Game is still great but 1) controls are dated 2)this heavy film grain sucks. I know when you beat it you can turn it off but it should have the option right out of the gate like mass effect did