Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bodanarko posted:

What’s with people in TG being so aggressive about poo poo for no reason lol. Just getting worked up into a frothing rage and taking digs at other posters over furniture

It's not TG in particular. It's Bottom Liner being a specific vein of explosive anus.

Anyway Wyrmwood seems like it's run by dumbass libertarian nerds who think everyone should have the free market choice to reenact those nightmare scenarios from the fork lift safety videos. The materials they work with definitely were underpriced when they started, and now wood prices are through the roof and they clearly don't know how to handle either end of that. Definitely seems like a company that will be in the dog house soon, and not just because of "hand-crafted bespoke dog beds." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

We’ve said nothing but reasonable things about why Wyrmwood is bad but you do you buddy.

I am literally the one who posted this latest mess of theirs to this thread along with assorted other criticism.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anyway Wyrmwood seems like it's run by dumbass libertarian nerds who think everyone should have the free market choice to reenact those nightmare scenarios from the fork lift safety videos. The materials they work with definitely were underpriced when they started, and now wood prices are through the roof and they clearly don't know how to handle either end of that. Definitely seems like a company that will be in the dog house soon, and not just because of "hand-crafted bespoke dog beds." :v:

Frankly surprised they haven’t gotten in big trouble off workplace safety stuff based on their videos, I work in occupational health & safety and half the stuff they throw on YouTube would have me panicking at work. They need competent PR/media folks that aren’t just YouTube bros and clearly need some dweeb with an MBA to do market research so they can hit the gray zone between “underpricing and nearly collapsing company with demand” and “failing to sell 1,000 desks”

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Tried to search for this and haven't been following the thread lately but someone's selling coins that act as dice when you flip them. For example a D12 coin will have 6 numbers on one side and 6 on the other and a little metal ball inside the coin rattles around and lands in a spot kinda roulette-like. $25 for one coin or $99 for a set of seven.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasmundi/pieces-of-fate-immersive-dice-coins

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

HiriseSoftware posted:

Tried to search for this and haven't been following the thread lately but someone's selling coins that act as dice when you flip them. For example a D12 coin will have 6 numbers on one side and 6 on the other and a little metal ball inside the coin rattles around and lands in a spot kinda roulette-like. $25 for one coin or $99 for a set of seven.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasmundi/pieces-of-fate-immersive-dice-coins

I guess I am just too old a nerd for this kind of thing. Dice - like normai polyhedral ones - seem to work just fine.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wow bottom liner got 3 days for that? That feels a bit much.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

I guess I am just too old a nerd for this kind of thing. Dice - like normai polyhedral ones - seem to work just fine.

It's the novelty of it. Having some goofy alternate random number generator to play with at the table. I feel like there would be some bias if it lands on any kind of uneven surface and eventually I'd just expect it to split open and the little ball bearing would fall out, but it's a cute idea, I guess.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It's interesting but not $25 interesting

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's the kind of thing I think looks neat and if I had gently caress you amounts of cash I could see myself getting it or picking one up at a con somewhere, but definitely a hard pass for me for price alone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah it's cute. I'd buy one for a tenner probably if I were in the mood to spend on something silly.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Wyrmwood sounds like the type of brand that nerds cling to and make part of their personality

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Their tables seem nice if on the expensive side but at least it has a specific niche function. A modular desk is like something nobody needs unless you just want to just burn cash.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I was thinking about springing for just the D20 as I like interesting dice and it'd be something to fiddle with but the novelty would wear off for me quickly since I don't play games that use sets of polyhedral dice, although I like dice with different symbols or value distributions or context-sensitive meanings, like Zombie Dice for an easy example or Tiny Epic Dungeons.

Those dice coins definitely need a mat though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If anyone is ever looking for a game table they can always do what Goobertown Hobbies did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqkNmouWq4

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

As a neat thing to play around with I like stuff like that coin (though I can't justify buying one myself). I just prefer people use ordinary polyhedral dice if we're actually playing a game, though, because I used to know someone who got one of those D20 rings and insisted on using it despite the fact that it regularly and repeatedly got stuck when he tried to use it. It kinda soured me on alternatives in general.

I play 99% of my games online these days, though, so it's entirely a moot point now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So in fun crowdfunding news, I actually saw a Twitter reply from the new Kickstarter CEO after he did an interview with TechCrunch:

TechCrunch Interview posted:

In terms of the kind of the negative side of things, what’s the most common feedback you’ve gotten so far?

The most common feedback is about our blockchain plans. I think there’s a lot of misinformation out there. People think that we’re turning Kickstarter into a web3 blockchain company. We’ve started a protocol as a separate entity. We’re exploring the opportunities that’s there in the blockchain to alleviate some of the challenges that we face as a centralized crowdfunding company. That’s it. We’re not committed to moving Kickstarter to the blockchain or doing anything specific there.

Is there a sense in which the project itself has shifted or changed as a result of that user feedback?

I don’t think so. I think our intentions were always genuine and positive. We came at this from the point of supporting people, creators and backers — wanting people to have a better experience and also wanting to see creators be more successful. […] This decentralized play is really only targeted towards improving and helping to solve some of the headaches and problems that we have in crowdfunding. But that doesn’t mean that we’re committed to it. We just want to explore it and see what’s out there that we can do.

What is the elevator pitch for the decentralization?

I’m still absolutely learning, but think of a world where, if you’re raising, you’re not limited to one platform. That’s the beauty. That’s the beauty of that. If Indiegogo’s on the protocol, if Kickstarter’s on the protocol, everyone can benefit from each other.

What would you have done differently as far as that initial blockchain news rollout?

I think it’s involving our community first and getting feedback from our community. It’s really important for a company, listening to your community, getting feedback. I think we would have probably better understood the ramifications of making that announcement.

We had only but good intentions, but we didn’t communicate that well. We could have communicated that better and gotten our community involved in some of the feedback of what we were working on. Now we do have a Kickstarter Advisory Council. I’m actually meeting with them tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Everette/status/1583754359309234176

So still full steam ahead on blockchain bullshit, just trying to silo it off outside of KS organizationally in response to massive user pushback.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yeah, that answer only matters if your concern about them exploring the technology was that it might sink Kickstarter financially, which was not even remotely the concern anyone actually had with it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FirstAidKite posted:

Wow bottom liner got 3 days for that? That feels a bit much.

I think they’re on a bit of a ramp, from reading their rap sheet. I hope they feel better when they get back!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

senrath posted:

Yeah, that answer only matters if your concern about them exploring the technology was that it might sink Kickstarter financially, which was not even remotely the concern anyone actually had with it.

Yeah, which really isn't a concern, KS is extremely healthy financially right now after they fired 40% of their workforce right at the start of the pandemic.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Yeah, Kickstarter's new CEO is absolutely a crypto guy. For some reason no-one who interviews him ever presses him on the subject when he deflects and bullshits, but he introduced NFTs at his last place ("because the community asked for it", which, like hell they did) and he's extremely friendly with a lot of NFT guys on social media.

It's loving depressing because my current campaign on Kickstarter made in 24 hours what it took a month to raise on Gamefound. Right now, for small indie RPG makers, it's KS or nothing. (Backerkit's platform isn't open to randoms yet, only hand-picked projects likely to make fat stacks -- although as soon as it is I'll jump ship over there and see how it goes.)

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Liquid Communism posted:

So still full steam ahead on blockchain bullshit, just trying to silo it off outside of KS organizationally in response to massive user pushback.

I've been waiting to hear something about if we could expect a change, and finally that appears to quite concretely put KS into the "gently caress these guys" bin.

Considering they how bad they are at communicating, it might be morally necessary for users to leave the platform before that happens. Of course, they are so massively dysfunctional that I would not be surprised if they never actually implement anything and just took a shitload of bad press for no reason, so it's hard to genuinely scold anyone who stays on the platform so long as they recognize that.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Liquid Communism posted:

So in fun crowdfunding news, I actually saw a Twitter reply from the new Kickstarter CEO after he did an interview with TechCrunch:

https://twitter.com/Everette/status/1583754359309234176

I always love a good blockchain interview where the subject cannot articulate what problem they are even solving with blockchain in crowdfunding. They just throw around words like “decentralize” and “secure” with vague hypotheticals and comparisons. “What if kickstarter but with a decentralized protocol for crowd funding?”

It’s hard to imagine how that would even work and what value KS would get out of it. Other than grifting of course.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chroniclecardsii/painting-pack-kolinsky-sable-and-wolf-bristle-brushes

$83 for 14 sable and 14 wolf fiber brushes? and some other goodies, worth it?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Is Sable really worth it for acrylics? The modern synthetic sables are very very good now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Beast KS has some teething issues.

quote:

Delays And First Shipments

We start with some good and some bad news. All production is done except for one detail. While playtesting we found out that the quality of the sleeves was not good enough and quickly broke. After some discussions with the factory, we decided to remake them with better material, so that they are up to our expectations.

Due to this, the production was extended by 15 working days but they should be finished any day now.

While we’ve been waiting for the sleeves, we have prepared our partner's copies for shipment to not waste more time. This means that there is a possibility that you will see the game in retail before it arrives to you. However, as of now, we don’t know how much time difference there would be between backers and retail but it shouldn’t be much.

We are also organizing combined shipments with some of our partners and in that case, you should receive it at the same time as retail.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Angrymog posted:

Is Sable really worth it for acrylics? The modern synthetic sables are very very good now.

Every synthetic I've used has been a notable step down, even if they were still good. But maybe I'm not using the right synthetics.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Synthetics have been very hit or miss, i've had some decent Citadel brushes and then junk others, and then I've got some from Game Envy that were supposedly good but they ended up being junk too, and then I got some from Monument Hobbies, and they're so far the best, but then I've got some literally bottom shelf store generic brushes that have held up longer.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm talking artist grade synthetic sable, not generic synthetic brushes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Liquid Communism posted:

Hopefully more folks follow Onyx Path to BackerKit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

A friend who does watercolors recommended Princeton Snap synthetics to me, and they're absolutely fantastic, they're my real workhorse brushes now.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've usually found that most golden taklon brushes will at least be okay.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've never heard of wolf bristle brushes before.

I think modern synthetics are good enough quality to replicate natural sable (depending on price & brand, etc), however I think if you ask a high-level professional painter to directly compare, there will always be slight differences between synthetic and natural. For the painting work I do, synthetic is good enough (but I've still picked up one Sable brush just to have one).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Angrymog posted:

I'm talking artist grade synthetic sable, not generic synthetic brushes.

Yeah same

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
QML posted an update regarding Blacklist Miniatures FS1 a few days ago -
https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Seems like there will finally be a way for folks to pay (again) for shipping in a few weeks?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Ah, Blacklist. Just send me the last little bit of Street Masters and you can go die the quiet death you deserve.

It's a real shame that it tanked the Sadlers' reputation as it did though. They were pretty decent together.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Memnaelar posted:

Ah, Blacklist. Just send me the last little bit of Street Masters and you can go die the quiet death you deserve.

It's a real shame that it tanked the Sadlers' reputation as it did though. They were pretty decent together.

They also just emailed an update saying that maybe, possibly, in theory, Street Masters will be on a boat like, soon-ish, perhaps. But it's not getting moldy in storage so it's all good.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So why is this CEO guy promising poo poo that's never going to happen, like one standard for crowd funding on a Blockchain. Just pie in the sky bullshit that's never happen because there's already like a hundred different coins in circulation so why wouldn't indiegogo just say gently caress Kickstarter and make their own Blockchain. Since they're decentralized there's very little risk in starting a new project on a Blockchain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NinjaDebugger posted:

A friend who does watercolors recommended Princeton Snap synthetics to me, and they're absolutely fantastic, they're my real workhorse brushes now.

Oh thanks for this tip! I have family members on at me for Christmas ideas. Perfect.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Memnaelar posted:

I remember being really upset that I missed out on the Street Masters Kickstarters because the money wasn't right. The games looked pretty fun, too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

So why is this CEO guy promising poo poo that's never going to happen, like one standard for crowd funding on a Blockchain. Just pie in the sky bullshit that's never happen because there's already like a hundred different coins in circulation so why wouldn't indiegogo just say gently caress Kickstarter and make their own Blockchain. Since they're decentralized there's very little risk in starting a new project on a Blockchain.

Yeah, even if they built this one protocol to rule them all, why would any other crowdfunding site want to put themselves on a blockchain project owned by a competitor?

It strikes me as the usual crypto nonsense. 'The only reason nobody has a monopoly on this industry is because they haven't built a good enough protocol yet' techbro stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, even if they built this one protocol to rule them all, why would any other crowdfunding site want to put themselves on a blockchain project owned by a competitor?

It strikes me as the usual crypto nonsense. 'The only reason nobody has a monopoly on this industry is because they haven't built a good enough protocol yet' techbro stuff.

This is entirely me playing devil's advocate, but: the whole concept behind crypto is that it doesn't have an "issuing party." This "FundCoin" or whatever Kickstarter is creating would exist outside of KS and continue to hold value even if KS itself went under, as long as other entities used it too. Which is kind of the rub, really.

Also since crypto isn't backed by government securities, one coin would have the same value no matter what country you're in, which makes receiving international funds a non-issue.

The downside, of course, is that it's yet another drat cryptocurrency with all their myriad problems.