Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also its not like there is a Monarchy Supreme Court who will issue final definitive rulings on succession questions based on established law, precedent, and objective evidence which everyone is bound to uphold. “The law” is whatever the ruler says it is, unless everyone else doesn’t like it, in which case “the law” is whatever the winner of the next war says it is.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ramin Djawadi has been killing it this series.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

This was such a pretty episode of TV. House of the Dragon has been consistently exceptional with its aesthetics and cinematography

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, they should be. I found RoP to be decent, but HotD is in a completely different class, and made for far less money. The stalking dragon in a storm scene from ep 10 was better than anything in RoP, by a considerable margin IMO.

I can imagine Jeff Bezos getting the RoP showrunners on the phone this morning and saying it looks like everyone loves dragons, put that dragon from the Hobbit in season 2, and make it kill stuff.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Gresh posted:

This was such a pretty episode of TV. House of the Dragon has been consistently exceptional with its aesthetics and cinematography

Watching this, Barry Lyndon, and Amadeus all in the span of about two weeks has helped me to appreciate lighting a bit more.

I also appreciate that every setting with nobility is basically that wint tweet about candles made manifest.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

this shot is brilliant and should be shown in any film study class

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The prophecy and the dagger are dumb and tacked on. A Jon Snow series with white walkers would be Highlander II levels of stupid.

My Daemon dumb take:
1) Maybe needs to rein in the temper a bit, but
2) Daemon’s the only one in the room who has actually seen a war (until Corlys shows up), and he didn’t have the fun time in the Stepstones that he thought he was going to. He saw how Viserys’s dithering turned what should have been a minor skirmish into a brutal, drawn out affair. Now he’s freaking out because he thinks Rhaenyra is going to be like V in this war.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Admiral Bosch posted:

People asking "can someone have more than one dragon" seem to have forgotten the entire original show, which explicitly shows one person commanding three dragons. Once again TVIV is undefeated when it comes to understanding a television show

Lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

unlimited shrimp posted:

Watching this, Barry Lyndon, and Amadeus all in the span of about two weeks has helped me to appreciate lighting a bit more.

I also appreciate that every setting with nobility is basically that wint tweet about candles made manifest.

Is someone a Blank Check listener?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

vermithor should have been voiced and sounded like a mafia boss. lord daemon, you come to me on this, the day of my daughter's name day, to ask that i put a hit on a made dragon, an earner in this thing of ours.

all dragons should be italian american

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That whole fight was fantastic.

But there's no loving way that Aemond is going to keep eyes on a dragon that small -or even Baelron the Black Dread - in the middle of a storm. Also idk what the altitude ceiling was at Storm's End that day but when Luke rose above the clouds into the sunlight I was like "dude's gonna need some supplemental oxygen at that height."

That DICK! posted:

vermithor should have been voiced and sounded like a mafia boss. lord daemon, you come to me on this, the day of my daughter's name day, to ask that i put a hit on a made dragon, an earner in this thing of ours.

Meleys unleasing the mother of all "Oh!"s at the dais at the dragonpit coronation

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That DICK! posted:

You're funnier than me, here's a kind of snake thing called a Caecilian (pronounced Sicilian).

I'm sure you can get something going with that.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is someone a Blank Check listener?

Never heard of it before but I do need more podcast content. Is it any good?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gresh posted:

Which is why it was really strange that they filmed an entire episode during the midday and then just turned the contrast all the way up to make it seem like it is night.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I really enjoyed this episode and this season, but I took my biggest complaint for the episode and show itself is that my sadness for Luke dying was because of how it would affect Rhaenyra, and that he was just an innocent kid, more than any emotional investment I has with the character.

While the show has done a great job making me care about Rhaenyra and Alicent (and has improved on their depiction in the books) some of the more important characters, like Rhaenyra’s kids, feel more like plot devices rather than fleshed out characters. And while they only had a few episodes to flesh them out, it is possible to make a character feel fully realized and create an emotional investment in only an episode or two, like some other shows I’ve seen recently.

Interestingly Alicent’s kids feel more fleshed out even though they’re way more unlikable.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Which is why it was really strange that they filmed an entire episode during the midday and then just turned the contrast all the way up to make it seem like it is night.

Blame Sapochnik for that. He is stepping back for season 2, so hopefully they don't let him do any directing.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

zoux posted:

But there's no loving way that Aemond is going to keep eyes on a dragon that small -or even Baelron the Black Dread - in the middle of a storm. Also idk what the altitude ceiling was at Storm's End that day but when Luke rose above the clouds into the sunlight I was like "dude's gonna need some supplemental oxygen at that height."

Okay Neil DeGoone Tyson

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Also its not like there is a Monarchy Supreme Court who will issue final definitive rulings on succession questions based on established law, precedent, and objective evidence which everyone is bound to uphold. “The law” is whatever the ruler says it is, unless everyone else doesn’t like it, in which case “the law” is whatever the winner of the next war says it is.

Yeah, I feel like the Norman conquest of England is a decent example of this in real life. Edward the confessor dies with no clear heir. Three major claimants pop up, all with kinda weird claims to the throne. William the conqueror's claim was a distant familial relation to the late king along with a supposed verbal promise from Edward. Harold Godwinson's claim was that Edward made some kind of deathbed promise rescinding the one to William and promising it to him. Harald Hardrada's claim was based on his predecessor Magnus I having some supposed agreement with Canute III over inheriting each other's claims at death, but that was well before Canute III was King of England and a generation before Edward was even king. Basically all a mixture of dubious poo poo and tortured logic.

Harold won the closest thing to a monarchy supreme court case when the Witan decided his claim was best and chose him to be king, probably mostly on strength of actually being in England and being heavily involved in its internal politics at the time of succession. That was completely overrode by the inevitable war where Harald and Harold were both killed(Harald by Harold and Harold by William). The Witan still chose another king other than William after that, but he of course ignored them because he's the guy with the big fuckoff army controlling the country now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I feel like the Norman conquest of England is a decent example of this in real life. Edward the confessor dies with no clear heir. Three major claimants pop up, all with kinda weird claims to the throne. William the conqueror's claim was a distant familial relation to the late king along with a supposed verbal promise from Edward. Harold Godwinson's claim was that Edward made some kind of deathbed promise rescinding the one to William and promising it to him. Harald Hardrada's claim was based on his predecessor Magnus I having some supposed agreement with Canute III over inheriting each other's claims at death, but that was well before Canute III was King of England and a generation before Edward was even king. Basically all a mixture of dubious poo poo and tortured logic.

Harold won the closest thing to a monarchy supreme court case when the Witan decided his claim was best and chose him to be king, probably mostly on strength of actually being in England and being heavily involved in its internal politics at the time of succession. That was completely overrode by the inevitable war where Harald and Harold were both killed(Harald by Harold and Harold by William). The Witan still chose another king other than William after that, but he of course ignored them because he's the guy with the big fuckoff army controlling the country now.

100 Nobles backing, Witan support, popular support v one pokey boy

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I was always under the impression that the spouse of the ruler was nearly as powerful as the ruler, but I guess that's not entirely the case? So Daemon is practically the king, isn't he? Just that Rhaenyra is the queen and main ruler. But if she died, would Jace instead become the ruler or would Daemon remain king until he passed?

I think it's unofficial but basically assumed that the spouse is getting a "Yes, dear" from the ruler unless they explicitly say otherwise. Or if you don't obey them they'll go to the ruler who will say "Ser Whatever, do as my husband/wife says"

But no Daemon would not remain king, it would go to Jace. Like how Joffrey was king and Cersei had to try to rule through him.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 24, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I might be wrong, but I could swear there was heavy use of a day for night lens in one episode, the light looked like something from a 70’s Bond movie.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The reason Alicent can rule in Visery’s stead was because Viserys was still alive and was “letting” her (along with the Hand) handle kingdom business.

In his darkly humourous Devil's Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce defined Queen as: "A woman by whom the realm is ruled when there is a king, and through whom it is ruled when there is not."

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Interestingly Alicent’s kids feel more fleshed out even though they’re way more unlikable.
They've got more conspicuous character traits and, in Aegon's case, we've seen more of the little world he inhabits in the previous episode. Rhaenyra's kids just seem like normal people in comparison.

Was Lucerys also the one who was upset at the funeral on Driftmark because him inheriting it would mean everyone is dead? I guess his fear of death and assuming his birthrights was the most distinguishing trait between him and his brother.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. Also in the opening scene of this ep he’s rubbing at a piece of the map table thoughtfully and it’s hard to see but it's Driftmark

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

unlimited shrimp posted:

Never heard of it before but I do need more podcast content. Is it any good?

It's a personal favorite. Two dudes who really like film and work in that field (a minor actor, former star of The Tick on Amazon, Griffin Newman ; a film critic from The Atlantic, David Sims) systematically go through a director's entire filmography one movie per episode, with many of the episodes being longer than the movie they're about. They literally just did Barry Lyndon on Sunday as part of their on-going Kubrick series, which is why I thought you might be a listener ; a lot of fans, myself included, tend to rewatch or watch along with the series cause they get sufficiently in depth it's good to have a refresher.

Way back at the beginning, it nominally was just about George Lucas and Star Wars but they dropped that in like 2015 and ever since they've done loads of directors. Off hand some good ones were Michael Mann, Sam Raimi, Nolan, Burton, Prince-Bythewood, Miyazaki, Ang Lee, Zemeckis, Miller, Nora Ephron, Nancy Meyers, Kathryn Bigelow and their giant series on John Carpenter is a great seasonal listen for spooky times. They've done about 30 directors and counting, so there's a lot of content.

More often than not they have a guest for each episode, usually a friend but that's also often someone pretty relevant to the film industry. Like a bunch of their friends are proper film critics (e.g. Emily Yoshida, David Ehrlich) or a lot of them are directors in their own right (e.g. David Lowery and Alex Ross Perry have been on multiple times each, and then lots more have done one, like Nia Dacosta who directed Candyman was on for The Fog). But there are also a bunch where it's just a smart, funny person with good opinions about movies.

If you like film criticism and have a sense of humor, it's a very good podcast. They have enough breadth that you can pretty much grab an episode on a movie you know and just give it a shot. But I'd avoid the earlier ones to start with since like all things they got better as they went along.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

zoux posted:

Meleys unleasing the mother of all "Oh!"s at the dais at the dragonpit coronation

He certainly wasn't keeping eyes on that dragon

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
my guess is he tells the dragon to follow him and then Vhagar does most of the work

Gresh posted:

love how she flanked otto and co. then walked through the middle of them, it was weird that she put on sunglasses for it but it was badass.
hell yeah

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 24, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're funnier than me, here's a kind of snake thing called a Caecilian (pronounced Sicilian).

I'm sure you can get something going with that.

i wont let you down, just called out of work to address this

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That DICK! posted:

i wont let you down, just called out of work to address this

i knew i could rely on you, bro

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's a personal favorite.

Sweet, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gresh posted:

They use the Volume for some of this stuff (fancy soundstage with an LED screen instead of greenscreen so the image adjusts to the camera orientation in real time). It looks so much better than on the Star Wars shows where you really notice they're shooting on a flat soundstage. In this they used it at least for the Dragonstone bridge stuff and for the kids during the dragonback chase and it looked great.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Daemon’s power is derived entirely from his marriage to Rhaynera, and if the show lore is like real life history the husband of the ruling queen would never be addressed as “King” because king implies a higher hierarchy compared to queen. I believe Corlys still called daemon Prince Daemon much like how queen Elizabeth’s husband was called Prince Philip and not King Philip, even though his wife was the queen.

I'd never really thought about this since he'd been referred to as Prince Philip for about 200 years before I was born, even though he was King Consort. With Charles on the throne now, all the media have reverted to using the title Queen Consort for Camilla.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty wild that the guy who played Prince Philip is now a kind of Prince Philip again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vegetable posted:

Pretty wild that the guy who played Prince Philip is now a kind of Prince Philip again.
Tobias Menzies to play Older Daemon, while Jonathan Pryce plays Old Daemon.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Robobot posted:

Oh dear god...they're hammering on this prophecy thing because it's gonna tie into the Snow TV series they're making, isn't it?

Guess he's finally gonna get to be the Price that was Promised or whatever. Actually, stated watching season 6 of Got since that's where I left off and figured I should finish it since I'm gonna watch the rest of this show now.

No. Just stop at the end of S7 and make up your own ending in your head.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

No. Just stop at the end of S7 and make up your own ending in your head.

Stop after S8, E2. One of the best episodes in the series.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I'd never really thought about this since he'd been referred to as Prince Philip for about 200 years before I was born, even though he was King Consort. With Charles on the throne now, all the media have reverted to using the title Queen Consort for Camilla.

Like I said, it is implied that king > queen. So calling the ruling queen’s husband a king implies that he’s the one with the power, whereas calling the ruling king’s wife a queen implies no such thing. Yay patriarchy.

E: according to Wikipedia he was also never called the king consort, but Prince Consort.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 24, 2022

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

if daemon is a prince by virtue of being a brother of viserys and a prince through his marriage to rhaenerya the queen, that makes him a double-prince, aka a king, more powerful than a queen. not hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Season 2 needs a new intro animation, and a slightly different theme song. The family tree is way too difficult to follow, and even after 10 episodes I can't identify all of the character icons. Also Ramin Djawadi needs to give us an alternate version of the current theme. If HBO are going to make other shows set in this universe, they should all get their own variation of the theme song.

TyrantWD fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 24, 2022