Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just to add one small recollection, Soundcheck started with Little Pretty and that crazy Ibanez AC he plays on it now. And he got to a certain point and stopped everything and (I am paraphrasing) called out the lighting guy for going dark on him at that spot every time. He said I can't see the guitar neck! Can we fix that?

And they fixed it and there was zero drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Who needs a horn cover thing when you could just do this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Who needs a horn cover thing when you could just do this?

I hear that's what the lead singer of crazy town's dick looks like

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oddly specific, but I could see that

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Faustus posted:

I didn't stay for the whole concert.

I get that the meet and greet was the high point and that you probably don’t want your freshly signed axe anywhere near a crowd but this seemed a bit like a shame.

But yeah that sounds absolutely rad.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Laserjet 4P posted:

I get that the meet and greet was the high point and that you probably don’t want your freshly signed axe anywhere near a crowd but this seemed a bit like a shame.

I liked that part. Like halfway through the best show ever, “eh, I’m good” :)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

I liked that part. Like halfway through the best show ever, “eh, I’m good” :)
I'll buy the DVD and have a better time watching it at home, I promise. I'm still floating an inch off the ground from the VIP bit. I can't stand for too very long yet, I just had COVID a couple weeks back and I'm still a little shaky.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dr. Faustus posted:

I can't stand for too very long yet, I just had COVID a couple weeks back and I'm still a little shaky.

That’s totally reasonable of course, glad you got to have such a cool night and the photo is great :3:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

As it happens I do like Steve Vai

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

As it happens I do like Steve Vai

I love Vai, but I can really only listen to Alien Love Secrets of all of his albums. The other ones don't do a whole lot for me musically. ALS is definitely some of his rawest and heaviest stuff. As for Vai as a person, you really couldn't ask for a better guitar hero. Good natured, funny, and generous with his talent and knowledge. Of all the guitar god types I think I only like Gilbert more than ol' Jack Butler hisself

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I would say that MAB qualifies as one of those super nice guitar nerds with amazing skills as well. Always seems so happy and helpful in his workshops.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I would say that MAB qualifies as one of those super nice guitar nerds with amazing skills as well. Always seems so happy and helpful in his workshops.

MAB is actually maybe the nicest guitar hero guy ever but I always forget about him. He's not a favorite cause I think his music is super lame, but man is he sweet and generous with his knowledge. A student of mine got to open for him once and he spent hours talking music with him. That wig tho...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Gramps posted:

I love Vai, but I can really only listen to Alien Love Secrets of all of his albums. The other ones don't do a whole lot for me musically. ALS is definitely some of his rawest and heaviest stuff. As for Vai as a person, you really couldn't ask for a better guitar hero. Good natured, funny, and generous with his talent and knowledge. Of all the guitar god types I think I only like Gilbert more than ol' Jack Butler hisself

I'm also somebody who thinks that while Vai is great as a musician and all around person, I think *most* of his music lands outside my own tastes, but occasionally he really knocks it out and makes some genuinely good stuff.

That latest album of his, Inviolate, is actually pretty good though. There aren't too many melodies in it that you'll find yourself humming later, but I think it's a great album to put on in the background if you're a fan of nice sounds and soundscapey stuff in general.

vvv lol

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 25, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Stupid Music poo poo II : Signature Edition - We All Love Steve Vai

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

well why not posted:

Stupid Music poo poo II : Signature Edition - We All Love Steve Vai

How can you not love this it's the most ridiculous thing ever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5BrE1Pi5cU+

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Came for the silver body paint, stayed for the cool 'horse neighing' tremolo thing.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i'm in the same boat of not particularly liking vai's music but still thinking he's one of the coolest dudes in the business

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way I see it, I would probably never listen to an album or see his show live. The world is better with him in it.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://twitter.com/bruiserbrogan/status/1584752450019336192?s=46&t=cOHbk7nmwDy-yCeTARu7hA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like they found a backup coke dealer

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I got more stupid music stuff! My sister found a Ukelin at some antique store and after some tough love it makes noise again.

https://twitter.com/SAJtDL/status/1585370209619410944

https://twitter.com/SAJtDL/status/1585372125028028416

No minor chords and no frets and the violin strings are C scale only, but I'm going to set it up with headphones and a looper pedal later and have some fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
@bandmemes666 hit me with this and I aged ten years in ten seconds.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Mister Speaker posted:

I feel personally attacked

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UOcgQg2A08

lmao

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I guess the stupid is me at this point. Some months ago, field balm posted a picture of a telejemocaster and bonhair suggested a mockingbird done like that. I'm now considering partsing-up a mockingcaster (telebird?) as my first project guitar.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
More of a pet peeve than stupid music poo poo I guess but man I can't stand the term "music producer". If you make music call yourself a musician, it just sounds so commercialized to me.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
it’s the least bad term for whoever has to wear a dozen hats (composer, engineer, musician, sound designer) and ultimately the person who determines the overall feel of the work historically

what’s bad is that on the blue forums they act like it’s some protected term that you can’t just call yourself

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
You can be a musician and not know how to turn on a computer and you can be a producer and not know how to tune a guitar. They aren't interchangeable terms.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I mean, if you're making music that inherently makes you a musician imo, but I realize I'm mostly splitting hairs on this one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah, making music makes you a musician, but it's understandable that some people would want to make the distinction, after being asked "Oh cool, what instrument do you play?" a millions times. It's fascinating to see the delineation of the term 'producer' in the past few decades, especially how it relates to Hip-Hop and electronic production. If you make a beat and someone buys it to rap over, are you a producer? Or does the term require more involvement in the whole track; knowing when to edit your instrumental to complement the vocals, when to double-track vox or use effects, etc.? I would say even the former (just making the beat and selling it) still qualifies as 'production', at least in the sense that your sale contract should probably ensure that you get a credit or at least mention, but there's the inherent ambiguity in the term.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'm a musician and when people follow that up with what instrument I play I could technically answer that I'm a guitarist but that feels weird because I'm pretty bad at it and the stuff I make available publicly is electronic rave music that I sequence. Calling myself a synthesist or a player of the sampler feels forced (if I played live ever e: or played keys ever, keyboardist might work, but I don't).

So producer's been my go to but if you have a better idea lmk

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 10, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Speaker posted:

It's a literal gut punch.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've been making music for 15 years, and if people ask me what instrument I play, I just say keyboard. I mean technically I don't even own any hardware gear right now, just a 49-key MIDI controller. That's a keyboard, though! It's easier than saying "I play the DAW" or some poo poo that a lot of people won't understand.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah I pretty much just say I play "synths" or "the synth", keyboard for the olds even though I'm a pretty sloppy keys player and sequence everything. Holding off on the "synthesist" title until I start building a modular and that modular becomes worth more than my vehicle.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Rageaholic posted:

I've been making music for 15 years, and if people ask me what instrument I play, I just say keyboard. I mean technically I don't even own any hardware gear right now, just a 49-key MIDI controller. That's a keyboard, though! It's easier than saying "I play the DAW" or some poo poo that a lot of people won't understand.

*In a very Brian Wilson voice*

The recording studio is my instrument.

*stares into the middle distance until the questioner sidles awkwardly away*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah I pretty much just say I play "synths" or "the synth", keyboard for the olds even though I'm a pretty sloppy keys player and sequence everything. Holding off on the "synthesist" title until I start building a modular and that modular becomes worth more than my vehicle.
I named my first album Synthesis having never owned any gear beyond a MIDI keyboard at that point. The absolute balls on 18 year old me lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tyler from the Music Is Win YouTube channel interviewed Steve Vai and Vai promised him to play his favorite song live but it was one that Vai only ever played in the recording, so he played it live and Tyler plays through it himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90VVAtFYXIk

In the comments Vai responded:

quote:

Well well, I happened upon this post and it sure did make my face smile big. You are correct, I did keep my promise, and you were what I needed to help me finally decide to bring this tune to the stage so thank you. I really do enjoy playing it. And you are also correct in that this song is deceptively difficult to play for all the reasons you mentioned. But I will say how surprised and delighted I was to see you perform it. You did a great job Tyler. It's always inspiring to see someone play one of my songs, and so well and in touch with it. Thank for taking the time to learn it so well. I think my favorite part was when you almost fell off your chair. There's a few notes in there that do that to me too! Keep going young man! You are contributing beautifully to our extended guitar family. s

Vai's a solid dude.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Man, that's so cool and wholesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Not really stupid music poo poo, just me saying I will buy a non-Behringer clone of these that come out for way less than $340 Canadian each because this is stupid pricetag poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pcp0au-IBY