Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Yeah tonewood isn’t a thing for electric guitars really. My favorite guitar has a flame maple top though and it is loving sick.

People talk like the only thing that matters about an instrument is how it sounds, but the most important thing to me is the vibes: does it make you want to play it? What do you want to play on it? The sound is part of that, but far from all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Elissimpark posted:

Nice. The P90/Humbucker combo should be more widespread.

I feel like the p90 is gonna take some learning on my part because it's intimidating and noisy in ways I haven't experienced before. I can get some interesting sounds with the tone and bass roll though. I can see it being a good shrill lead.

havelock posted:

Nice
I've never had a chance to play one, but I've always kinda wanted one.

The neck is surprisingly chunky, apparently fatter than standard fenders even. I thought I'd hate it but it feels really good in the hand. And the construction is so damned solid. Definitely a notch above the schecter it's replacing. I feel like I could bludgeon someone with it and it would keep trucking.

And a bit of a e/n dump maybe but after 5-6 years of writing and releasing I finally got my first commission to write for a short film. I'm terrified and excited at the same time. If nothing else it's validating to know that people respect my work enough to ask me to work with them. Still, it's such a wildly different headspace to be working for someone else's approval and on a timeline I don't completely control.

But I suppose it's a good way to break in a new guitar... and if it goes well I can graduate from calling myself an amateur musician to "composer"

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s really cool, GSS. Good luck and all that.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

ya, major grats, thats #goals stuff

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

RE: solid body guitar wood, Warmoth has a page of information about body wood options they have. Woods are all given a value along a continuum of "warmer" to "brighter". The maple variants are all on the "brighter" end of that continuum.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-body-woods

Those descriptions are probably only relevant when the whole dang body is made out of that wood (not very common for maple, especially). The value of a quarter-to-half inch maple top on an otherwise-mahogany body is a lot more questionable. People say that maple top guitars with humbuckers are brighter than just solid mahogany, but that could just be people hearing their credit card balance. Brightness/warmness depends a lot on how the guitar is actually played.

If the maple on the top of a guitar is just a thin veneer then it is just for looks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

So who in this thread convinced a Chinese factory to start making knockoff (lefthanded) parker flies
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195425868686

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I did. Deal with it.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar. Something more or less standard, no electronics guts really necessary. I'm an intermediate guitar player, playing for 20+ years and probably play/noodle daily. Already have a few electrics, Gretsch, Charvel, Reverend etc. Really just looking for something to noodle around with on Zeppelin, classic rock stuff. Doesn't have to be fancy but I would like something quality. I originally earmarked around $600-800 USD which may more may not be reasonable. Open to spending more if I can justify it. Any recommendations?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So who in this thread convinced a Chinese factory to start making knockoff (lefthanded) parker flies
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195425868686

i have wanted a fly for twenty years. i can't find a RH one but i may take one for the team here if it appears

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I'm in the market for an acoustic guitar. Something more or less standard, no electronics guts really necessary. I'm an intermediate guitar player, playing for 20+ years and probably play/noodle daily. Already have a few electrics, Gretsch, Charvel, Reverend etc. Really just looking for something to noodle around with on Zeppelin, classic rock stuff. Doesn't have to be fancy but I would like something quality. I originally earmarked around $600-800 USD which may more may not be reasonable. Open to spending more if I can justify it. Any recommendations?

Play everything you can get your hands on in your budget and some just a little above. Pay zero attention to the brand/model until after you play it. I would also say to ignore the color but there are a lot of really ugly acoustics out there.

I've been pleasantly shocked by some brands that I had always written off like Yamaha and I've been disappointed by various martin and Taylor models. That said here are my brand generalizations: I still enjoy martins, a lot but you have to spend 1k or more to get that classic Martin sound, but their lesser expensive options are still good. Taylors are just too bright and thin for me but I see why people like them. They play really well, maybe better than most acoustics. Fenders can sound good but a bit dull and generic. They seem to vary wildly in consistency and tone. I'm partial to dreadnoughts, jumbos and parlor guitars. I'm not a fan of concert bodies. I love my breed love but it's a root series (classic dred) so it's a bit different than their standard concert body fare. I like Gibson acoustics but those are Gibson prices. Epiphone acoustics have gotten a lot better. Same with Ibanez. Gretsch and guild acoustics are fine as well but I've not liked most of what I've played of their offerings. I say to play everything is because acoustics are much more particular per guitar due to more variables in manufacturing and aging. Wood shrinks and warps. Some guitars sit in warehouses, storage rooms, cargo containers for long periods of time without a controlled climate and that can change the wood. I've heard two of the exact same models sound and feel wildly different.

Electronics are sort of semi standard now so while you might not want it, the guitar you like might have them already in some capacity. Happy hunting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think I'd gently caress with a lefty fly, but I'd probably want a solid tailpiece and a maple board.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Few months or so ago I started thinking about learning guitar. Initially i considered getting a bass, but my wife reminded me she still had her old guitar in the garage. Looks like a ~1996 made in china Squier (what would later become the Affinity?). I cleaned it, polished the frets, re-strung it, and replaced the output jack. the mid+neck pickup make intermittent connection, sometimes cutting out, sometimes i can jiggle the 5-way and get them working. Next time i replace the strings, i'll try and replace the 5-way switch too. I don't otherwise do a lot of soldering so this has been like a fun project. I think the truss rod needs to be adjusted slightly as well, but i might let a local shop do that as an excuse to look at guitars.

As far as the actual playing goes, I've been doing Justin Guitar videos. I'm a little embarrassed about the idea of private lessons. I have absolutely no music background, no ability to read music. Can you recommend me a good book for that? There are so many different guitar instructional books.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Don't be afraid of lessons, you could learn some really great stuff from someone that knows that what they're doing. And just keep in mind, (almost) every single other person that has sat down with that teacher will have been in the exact same spot as you.

I had some weird embarrassment signing up for private lessons as a full on adult, was weird for about 3 seconds then realized that it's actually :krad: and there was nothing to fear but buying more gear.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Don't be afraid of lessons, you could learn some really great stuff from someone that knows that what they're doing. And just keep in mind, (almost) every single other person that has sat down with that teacher will have been in the exact same spot as you.

I had some weird embarrassment signing up for private lessons as a full on adult, was weird for about 3 seconds then realized that it's actually :krad: and there was nothing to fear but buying more gear.
Yeah... Hell my kids take music lessons, i don't know why i feel this way about myself, but i do. I need to get over this.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you are an easy hang and eager to learn, you will be the absolute best part of any teacher's week.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
teachers love an enthusiastic adult learner!!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

frest posted:

As far as the actual playing goes, I've been doing Justin Guitar videos. I'm a little embarrassed about the idea of private lessons. I have absolutely no music background, no ability to read music. Can you recommend me a good book for that? There are so many different guitar instructional books.

Definitely don't be embarrassed about taking lessons. Teachers aren't going to expect you to know anything going in. Individual instruction is going to be light years ahead of videos and books for teaching you to play, especially when you're a complete beginner. It certainly doesn't hurt to do both but teachers can answer questions directly, can see what you're doing and correct any issues quickly, and they are someone you can play with in a relatively stress free environment. If you can afford it, getting a teacher as early as possible will be the best way to get started on playing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Haha look at this loser that wants to learn a new skill. Everyone laugh at them for trying to be good at something and taking the effort to ask for help and have a structured learning environment conducive to success.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Please don't be afraid about private lessons - my current teacher assumes no knowledge and is purely a technique and ear guy (which means I'll be moving on at some point as i get deeper into theory and hit my own limits, but I've seen improvement for now). Seriously, a lot of teachers will certainly be used to working with people who just want to play their favourite rock songs.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

teachers love an enthusiastic adult learner!!

My favorite students were the ones that really wanted to do it and were having fun with it. Obviously it was mostly kids, but my oldest student was in his late 70s. Adults were a mixed bag as far as skill, but they tend to take it more seriously as a rule since they understand the value of a dollar, so adult students tended to actually be prepared when they showed up. Get in there!

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I self learn almost everything, but it's been great having a teacher. He probably spends hours a day dealing with people that don't practice, then I come in and I can just tell he's happy to geek out about stuff.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

frest posted:

Few months or so ago I started thinking about learning guitar. Initially i considered getting a bass, but my wife reminded me she still had her old guitar in the garage. Looks like a ~1996 made in china Squier (what would later become the Affinity?). I cleaned it, polished the frets, re-strung it, and replaced the output jack. the mid+neck pickup make intermittent connection, sometimes cutting out, sometimes i can jiggle the 5-way and get them working. Next time i replace the strings, i'll try and replace the 5-way switch too. I don't otherwise do a lot of soldering so this has been like a fun project. I think the truss rod needs to be adjusted slightly as well, but i might let a local shop do that as an excuse to look at guitars.

I’m in late thirties and just started playing back in June. I’m the exact same. My parents pushed me to sports instead of arts so I missed out as a kid/teen. I realized this summer that it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, I have the money and time to do it, so why not take the plunge.

I started with Justin Guitar first, because I wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it, then went to private lessons. I’d suggest shopping around, most teachers give a few lesson to see if you guys work well together. I went to a local music school and the first instructor was pretty disorganized. The second instructor was a little older, more mature (albeit still in his early 20s), and has worked well for the last few months.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

frest posted:

If by "read music" you mean the dots on the staff notation, you don't really need that for guitar unless you want to get into classical guitar specifically. Feel free to skip it until you need it.

FWIW I started just two years ago. My progression was to go through Justin's courses through around Grade 5 or 6. Getting through that material took me over a year by itself. At that point you know enough that you can start focusing on what kind of music you want to play. After some experimenting with different things to play, I decided I wanted to go a little deep on solo classical guitar, so I grabbed a book recommended from this thread, Chris Parkening's guitar method. After that, I've just been buying scores for songs I like and slowly learning them. So, that was my approach. I think Justin's stuff is a great place to start, and then you'll be more comfortable branching out into whatever seems fun to you, or starting up private lessons.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I appreciate all the encouragement, I think I'm going to look into private lessons. I went ahead and replaced the 5-way switch tonight, and the new one works great (except that I put it on upside down and didn't check the orientation until the strings were already on).

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Jonny 290 posted:

toanwood is largely myth, it just looks nice

Be gone foul troll😂

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i would buy that tonewood matters on acoustic guitars but on an electric the whole thing is really just a neck screwed/glued to a surface with some pickups in it. and it's literally millimeters thin veneers most of the time anyway, and it's already been cut into to insert the truss rod..

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

landgrabber posted:

i would buy that tonewood matters on acoustic guitars but on an electric the whole thing is really just a neck screwed/glued to a surface with some pickups in it. and it's literally millimeters thin veneers most of the time anyway, and it's already been cut into to insert the truss rod..

If this video is anything to go buy, you’re right. Type of pickups, height and location of pickups, bridge, and nut seem to make the most difference. He even runs an experiment where there is no guitar, and produces the same sound.

https://youtu.be/n02tImce3AE

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Just a question for more experienced guitarists - how did you make the leap to figuring out songs yourself? I can figure out some goofy pop-punk stuff because the chords are often so formulaic ("Sad This Summer" was a joy to figure out though), but does it just come with experience and further knowledge of theory/tropes? I can't see me hum and hunting a J Mascis solo, for example.

I want to keep challenging myself with songs I like, but I don't want to rely on tab, which is 80% bullshit and makes it easy to get stuck in riff guy limbo, and while my teacher is great for my technique, getting under the hood of songs is something I'd like to develop.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I didn't, I've never been good at it and I didn't want to. 23 years strong.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Disco Pope posted:

Just a question for more experienced guitarists - how did you make the leap to figuring out songs yourself? I can figure out some goofy pop-punk stuff because the chords are often so formulaic ("Sad This Summer" was a joy to figure out though), but does it just come with experience and further knowledge of theory/tropes? I can't see me hum and hunting a J Mascis solo, for example.

I want to keep challenging myself with songs I like, but I don't want to rely on tab, which is 80% bullshit and makes it easy to get stuck in riff guy limbo, and while my teacher is great for my technique, getting under the hood of songs is something I'd like to develop.

Theory, practice, slowing down the recording and figuring it out note by note. You got the idea so far. It's just more of the same.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I wouldn't call myself experienced, but I just had two major lightbulb moments with that: alternate chord voicings + inversions, and my first few scales.

I could hear a song and figure out "oh it's these 3 chords" but it wouldn't sound right. Then I learned triads in four positions and 1st and 2nd inversions for each position, and I'd say "well this is a D, but it's not normal" and I'd just start trying different things until it sounded right. It was also really cool to see "weird" triads in tab and immediately recognize something as a moveable 1st position 2nd inversion triad, etc.

Once I started practicing scales a lot, I started realizing that a lot of lead guitar just peppers in notes from an appropriate scale in the guitarist's flavor. Take like Summers and Gilmour and they're so different in how they approach their notes I almost have to get into their headspace to think about what they're trying to play and what influences they're building off of. What makes a song reggae or jazz, and how is Summers pulling from that, etc.

quote:

does it just come with experience and further knowledge of theory/tropes

tl;dr I think this helps a lot

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
One of my biggest lightbulb moments was finally after 20 years learning most of the other positions of pentatonic major/minor beyond the typical box scale we all learn as beginners. Even the most complicated solos are really just in pentatonic in various positions. I remember reading a Randy Rhoades tab and looking at it and being like....this motherfucker is just doing pentatonic. Granted its faster and in weirder positions than my fingers can play but i can comprehend what he's doing. Similarly, I could never figure out solos because the notes just sounded all the same to me. It took years but I'm finally able to understand what notes make what sounds and moods and feelings if that makes sense. Also walking through a scale and knowing, ok this is the root, then a minor 3, 4th 5th, minor7. They all have distinct sounds and flavors that just take time to recognize. I also started dicking around with modes which always escaped me for years. But one of the things that got me was I just kept running through the scale, and I'd come up with a simple chord progression and mix in major or minor chords depending on what sounded right. And at some some point it dawned on me...wait a minute. Every one of those loving chords lines up perfectly within that scale. Blew my mind. And then like others said taking those chords and moving them up the neck and doing inversions and voicings.

drhankmccoyphd fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 25, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

ear training, specifically interval recognition and/or melodic dictation, will get you there. if you practice daily for 10-15 mins to the point where you can correctly recognize any interval 95% of the time, you'll be able to transcribe any melody by ear, provided that you can ACCURATELY sing it or hear it mentally.

a bit of theory is necessary to some extent, just so you know the names of the various intervals. helps to know keys as well, so you can put notes to them.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
So I buckled and got a CV Jaguar, any tips on the bridge? Put some heavier strings on it (10.5 - 42s) and noticed while setting the intonation that the bridge likes to rock towards the neck or tail and sit there. Is the correct move to just re-center it every time this happens? I'm guessing once you get the intonation set, if the bridge moves, you can just wiggle it back to center until it's back in tune? Also I didn't realize the pickups were just sitting on foam and was very confused that they didn't move at all when I tried to raise them a bit.

Other than that it sounds and plays great and it's nice to finally have a non-Floyd guitar on hand to try some other tunings.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Disco Pope posted:

I can't see me hum and hunting a J Mascis solo, for example.

Somewhat ironically, J Mascis's solos are relatively easy to figure out if you know your major and minor scales. From the Dino Jr songs I've learned, he almost always plays completely diatonically so if you can figure out what key/mode the song is in, you're already like 80% of the way there. Learning by ear is much easier if you already know what they are likely to be playing. Having at least some theory definitely helps a lot.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Playing solo again Sunday for wife's (very liberal Methodist) church job. They said "play something about joy" so I flipped through the contempo worship song book until I found one with joy in the title and said good enough.

I love chord melody, and I always try and take these opportunities to learn something, so I decided to make it work. But those are some loooong stretches on the V7. After trying to make it work, I started learning more about chord subs, and figured why not turn a bunch of Vs into ii-Vs and other nonsense. My voice leading is probably all over the place, but here's what I ended up with on a first pass (in F).

Anyway, if anyone has experience with this or like, a better idea about voicing that 11-12 measure (lol). I'm also sure as I start practicing it I'm going to need to revoice stuff. I have to real work for a while then I'll start practicing it. It's a fun thing to sit and work out, even if you end up with the most basic thing in the world.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 25, 2022

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Plank Walker posted:

So I buckled and got a CV Jaguar, any tips on the bridge? Put some heavier strings on it (10.5 - 42s) and noticed while setting the intonation that the bridge likes to rock towards the neck or tail and sit there. Is the correct move to just re-center it every time this happens? I'm guessing once you get the intonation set, if the bridge moves, you can just wiggle it back to center until it's back in tune? Also I didn't realize the pickups were just sitting on foam and was very confused that they didn't move at all when I tried to raise them a bit.

Other than that it sounds and plays great and it's nice to finally have a non-Floyd guitar on hand to try some other tunings.

In theory the bridge should be able to pivot forwards and backwards with the strings as you use the wiggle bar and remain in the tune. In practice it'll probably end up sitting one way or the other most of the time...

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i wish everyone could just be a community college music student for a year and take elementary piano, fundamentals of music theory, and theory 1. because that stuff, at least for me, and being familiar with the staff and being able to be more purposeful with learning pieces, has made me so much better.

i’ve spent less time than ever over the last two semesters playing guitar, because i’ve been busy with homework and piano and stuff. but when i do play, i write better than i did before, and improv makes more sense, and i can invert poo poo and voice my own chords and go places i wouldn’t have before.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

free cool chord: 2021XX.

F#, A, E, G# — i kind of think of it as an F#m9, just with no fifth.

i like moving to it from E, on 0221. i generally play that with my middle finger on the G#, and my ring and pinky on the B and E octave, respectfully. i started that so that i could jump to the A barre chord easier - just move my hand up and press my index finger down.

then i’ll get to that F#m9 by moving my ring finger up to fret the E string on 2, keeping my pinky on the D string, and keeping my middle finger on the G#.

this is another reason i like theory knowledge: i kinda just moved around my fingers trying to voice a chord, i wanted to go somewhere from E other than simply going to barre shapes immediately. it sounded cool— but now i actually know where it can lead, what it is, and i can adapt that shape to other places, probably.

in a certain sense it makes it easier to play guitar, by virtue of the fact that i can build my own chords and know that i just need to move a finger a little bit and i’ll have another chord. instead of jumping around with moveable voices all the time and stuff like that. and there’s nothing wrong with them, but the order in which you place notes in the chord, as they move to another chord or from another chord or both, is important/has its own sound. even if it’s functioning the same.

one thing i got into was actually second inversion triads from power chords. possible talked about this here, but, if i’m playing a D5, like X577XX, i can put my middle finger on the D note, and move my index finger down, so that it frets F# and B— giving me a Bm/D. and it’s a different sound than just playing B5, or the barre chord, and you don’t have to move your hands so much.

landgrabber fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

sorry i accidentally doubled my adderall this morning lol

getting a lot done though!!