Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Here is the spoiler for MTG30 Secret Lair: https://imgur.io/a/yQao4gV

Also if you're looking to get the WH40K and you're willing to wait it out. Both Rudy and MVP have both gotten info that there will be at least 2 waves for the WH40K commander decks. in a couple weeks there will be a 20% (of a full) reprint run and then by early next year there will be another full reprint. Rudy also mentioned that he's heard 2 of the major distributors may be sitting on collectors versions (to flatten the curling am i right).

But yeah if you're willing to wait, they'll probably get cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
That Glimpse of Nature is brutal for it to be in that product. The chrome mox is also the best one ever printed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pfft you don't need to know english, you just need to know the shapes Aa Ee Ii Oo Uu Yy.

You learned the mana symbols you can learn those. U-S-A, U-S-A.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I mean even from a value perspective, just from the cards revealed on announcement Chrome Mox and Necropotence are like $120 of the $150 price alone.

if you're talking about cost for alternative playable versions chrome mox is ~$80 and necro is ~$40 and those are the biggest value cards by a wide margin, a lot of the others with value are sweet but in the $8-20 range, and there's a fair bit of stuff that would be bulk if not for the art (though the nostalgia on some is out of control if you're of a certain vintage)

and some of it depends on how much you value blingin' art, because some of the low value cards might be worth quite a bit if you like the specific look for your eternal format cantrips

for non-cube purposes the product looks weirdly nice for Legacy elves players (and premodern tradewind survival???)

the DRS is sick, definitely wish it was still playable

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
The card choice seems all over the place, like they had planned these as part of secret lairs but got cut. And why nashi?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://magic.gg/news/eternal-weekend-returns-for-2022

quote:

Legacy and Vintage enthusiasts, mark your calendars! In-person Eternal Weekend events are returning to Asia and North America, and Magic Online will be hosting an Eternal Weekend event digitally for those who cannot attend in person!

Eternal Weekend is, well, what the name suggests: a weekend full of Eternal play. Eternal Weekend events play host to two championship tournaments:

The Legacy Championship
The Vintage Championship
Eternal Weekend has, for years, carried on its tradition of providing winners with a unique prize: an original painting of an iconic card from either Legacy or Vintage awarded to the champion of each format's respective tournament. That painting is included in an oversized Magic: The Gathering card frame, providing the winner with both the painting and special frame to go along with it. The paintings are unique to each respective tournament, meaning no one Legacy Championship or Vintage Championship will feature the same painting, even if cards are revisited in subsequent years.

the "trophies" for the winners are 2x3 oversized reserve list cards with the flavor text showing what championship you won. they all have new art drawn for them... i'm not sure i understand this at all.

regular promos for top 8 and participation:

the "trophies"

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's too bad about the price point of the foil 40k decks. I usually don't care about foiling but it looked really nice in the professor's video. Do you even notice curl like that once the card is in a dragon shield?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

the "trophies" for the winners are 2x3 oversized reserve list cards with the flavor text showing what championship you won. they all have new art drawn for them... i'm not sure i understand this at all.

the "trophies"

Those Cradle and Bazaar are so good dang

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's too bad about the price point of the foil 40k decks. I usually don't care about foiling but it looked really nice in the professor's video. Do you even notice curl like that once the card is in a dragon shield?

The curling becomes more noticeable while in sleeves.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

the "trophies"

Just more paintings of cards on the reserved list...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Strong Sauce posted:

Here is the spoiler for MTG30 Secret Lair: https://imgur.io/a/yQao4gV

Also if you're looking to get the WH40K and you're willing to wait it out. Both Rudy and MVP have both gotten info that there will be at least 2 waves for the WH40K commander decks. in a couple weeks there will be a 20% (of a full) reprint run and then by early next year there will be another full reprint. Rudy also mentioned that he's heard 2 of the major distributors may be sitting on collectors versions (to flatten the curling am i right).

But yeah if you're willing to wait, they'll probably get cheaper.

Was all about this until I saw how they're doing the full text elspeth and now I'm out.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Was all about this until I saw how they're doing the full text elspeth and now I'm out.

How would you like to see an old border planeswalker?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Why does full text elspeth say "creates** 3 soldiers"

That's the keyword I use to filter new sets for cards that make your opponents create tokens.

Hopefully that's a typo and not new verbiage

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

That's the keyword I use to filter new sets for cards that make your opponents create tokens.

The text is supposed to be as if the card was released in the olden days of Magic before everything was standardized. They've done some old border planeswalkers like that before

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

"Create X tokens" is the standard verbiage now. Look at DMU Captain's Call or Elspeth Sun's Nemesis from THB.

Or even Sun's Champion's oracle text for that matter

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Sickening posted:

The curling becomes more noticeable while in sleeves.

seems like someone at wotc should care about that but. i guess they're still raking in cash. Maybe I'll pick some up if some of them become inexplicably cheap down the line (lol) but hard pass on spending that much on a product that will chaos warp itself

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hell, yeah. US Champ is literally the Champion of Scrub Land.

10/10. No notes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

seems like someone at wotc should care about that but. i guess they're still raking in cash. Maybe I'll pick some up if some of them become inexplicably cheap down the line (lol) but hard pass on spending that much on a product that will chaos warp itself

Curling on foils has been an unfixable problem for WOTC for about a decade now.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

AngryBooch posted:

"Create X tokens" is the standard verbiage now. Look at DMU Captain's Call or Elspeth Sun's Nemesis from THB.

Or even Sun's Champion's oracle text for that matter

I meant the plural "creates"

I've got a soft spot for one stupid pet deck and "creates" was my shortcut to see if any new things can slot into it

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22creates%22+f%3Amodern+o%3A%22%2F1%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I've got a soft spot for one stupid pet deck and "creates" was my shortcut to see if any new things can slot into it

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22creates%22+f%3Amodern+o%3A%22%2F1%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name

interesting, wondering what Floral Spuzzem's take on this is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

How would you like to see an old border planeswalker?

Like the last batch.

Just a big ol pile of text. No line breaks. No choice breaks. Incomprehensible.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It doesn't change the oracle text (which is what Scryfall's search references), it's just there to emulate on the card the old way tokens were made. It roughly matches up with the old The Hive card text.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

Hell, yeah. US Champ is literally the Champion of Scrub Land.

10/10. No notes.

excellent observation

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Like the last batch.

Just a big ol pile of text. No line breaks. No choice breaks. Incomprehensible.

*magneto voice* ...perfection.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Sickening posted:

https://twitter.com/maxtortion/status/1584583707888734213?s=20&t=JE5B6GGDUbTa7QFZ3nceUQ

The concern here is valid. The vowels is kind a big deal. I guess it just needs to be simplified to the point that "mind goblin produces x red mana" because that is what it does.

I will also say that this card is middling power level in a format that does degenerate stuff anyway and I am soaking up the tears like that scene from bladerunner.

The reminder text tells you what the vowels are

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is there any way to make Karn do anything in standard? am i missing something. he seems like a really generic card

edit: i mean i guess he comboes with Jinnie Fay but there's a lot better ways to make tokens

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

...in English

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

...in English

The set wasn't printed in anything other than English. If you can't read English you probably have more issues with playing the card than simply not knowing what vowels are.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Cactrot posted:

It doesn't change the oracle text (which is what Scryfall's search references), it's just there to emulate on the card the old way tokens were made. It roughly matches up with the old The Hive card text.

Thanks for the clarification.
I applaud their dedication to the old border gimmick up until I'm personally affected lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

is there any way to make Karn do anything in standard? am i missing something. he seems like a really generic card

edit: i mean i guess he comboes with Jinnie Fay but there's a lot better ways to make tokens

I saw one content creator video that did a Braids/Karn deck that wasn't terrible.

Not good, but not terrible.

HootTheOwl posted:

...in English

The sticker cards and ________ Goblin only exist in English too. It's stupid, but it's also just symbol matching for anyone who wants to play it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judgy Fucker posted:

The set wasn't printed in anything other than English. If you can't read English you probably have more issues with playing the card than simply not knowing what vowels are.

Correct, which is what the tweet was saying?
The card is in English. The reminder text is also in English. if you're playing in a place that doesn't speak English, and your op sets this card down in front of you, you can't really understand it without English. Even gatherer uses english (changing the preferred language will give you Foreign pictures and titles, but English oracle text)

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Correct, which is what the tweet was saying?
The card is in English. The reminder text is also in English. if you're playing in a place that doesn't speak English, and your op sets this card down in front of you, you can't really understand it without English. Even gatherer uses english (changing the preferred language will give you Foreign pictures and titles, but English oracle text)

Right, the tweet is complaining about knowledge of English vowels needed to play the card. Which is a redundant complaint if you don't know English at all. So the tweet author is wanting to make cards not-legal because they're only in English, which seems kinda dumb since a lot of product is printed only in English, or at the very least, is not printed in every language on the face of the Earth.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
having cards only work in english, and only printed in english be legal in eternal formats, in a game played all around the world is kind of bullshit, especially if you do not speak english

There is a reason why cards like this were only silver border before now, and to not have the foresight to consider that for other localizations is pretty bad planning on WotC's part.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

precision posted:

I put him into my Anvil deck, but the issue is that he has no place in a deck which relies on Experimental Synthesizers to generate card advantage (whiffing by exiling Karn is terrible), and while getting a completely free artifact to sac each turn is nice I guess, it really doesn't rock anybody's world. The deck can protect him fairly well on the ground, but any flier fucks him up, unless you have removal which you won't because you tapped out, and if you stabilize the game to the point that you can freely cast a 4-mana-card with more up, you probably will win anyway because Anvil just grinds people down.

Artifacts tapping for damage is redundant with the Anvils too, so even getting him to his ult isn't that good. It's very much win more.

I guess I never used him to search for a second Anvil or something like that. He might be useful in a format without Deadly Dispute (I play the deck in Alchemy) to assemble all your moving parts, but again 4 mana is a bit much for that.

However, I predict that he will become much more useful in the next set, once a lot more artifacts that would be amazing to tutor up quickly, synergies to fuel with free tokens etc. will show up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Griselpuff/status/1584343749135503360?t=dRWZzOePdPNCV0wVQNuEBA&s=19

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
If I only read Korean then there are large numbers of sets (all going forward) that were never printed in my language, this is not unique to this set

The functionality is perfectly translatable to other languages since the sticker sheets are also all in English; I guess there could be a problem if you don't know A and a are the same letter?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Mawloc is a pretty cool card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Barry Shitpeas posted:

:aloom:

So yeah, this is going to be a problem.

https://twitter.com/mtgbanding/status/1572300667385159682?s=20&t=1CcI2Qy_wCp3XL8WZAznGg

*Plays creed song softly in the background

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ineptitude posted:

I played MTG back in the mid 90s, and later on dabbled with WH40k.

For some reason i had a video about MTG WH40k in my youtube feed the other day and curiousity got the better of me since those 2 terms made no sense together.

Turns out they literally made WH40k themed MTG cards. How cool.
Im not much of a collector but im kinda interested in these cards as they cover 2 of the hobbies i had growing up.

I see that they are sold as 4 different "commander decks" but i don't really know what that is. I struggle to find out how many cards there actually are, and how i can get them all. I see abugames has a section where you can buy complete magic editions but they don't seem to have that for this set.
What is the most efficient and cheap way for me to get this complete set? I don't need foil or any fancy stuff like that. Will i get every card if i buy 1 of each of the commander packs?
a bit late but I would highly recommend against buying them right now, they're massively overpriced at the moment due to constrained supply, and refreshed supply will be coming along in early 2023.

if you can't wait, tcgplayer has them for about 250 shipped for the set of 4 at the lowest. when the resupply comes, that price ought to drop below 200 easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Received the 30th Anniversary secret lair, and dang this promo Arcane Signet is gorgeous.