Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I watched Island of Lost Souls (1932) last night. drat movie was really tight and cool for being so olde. lol that the piece of poo poo prude HG Wells hated that movie. now onto the Island of Dr Moreau (1970s) one tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

I've been watching the good classic horror and I agree. The thing, alien, halloween 1, hellraiser, chucky or even the the first saw all make the characters the center of the story and the characters are less cardboard cutouts standing in for the problems of the times, and that's why they get franchised, and the franchises kill all that smart writing and become the slogs that "horror film" conjures up in non horror fan's heads

this is true however I don't think the first Saw holds up very well.

Having watched them all relatively recently, Saw V and VI are the ones that stand out. They're after they had written themselves into so many twists that everything in the plot is wildly convoluted and the movies are still trying to convince you that Jigsaw is a fundamentally good person, but after this one I think they pull the plug on a lot of that. Saw V has one of my favorite stupid ending twists ever and I remember laughing like an idiot when I saw it in theaters.

e: I just remembered, Saw VI is the one that's all about how evil Health Insurance companies are and really trying to weave a message into it, and then the sequel Saw 3D opens with Jigsaw torturing a young woman because she dated two guys at the same time lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah I haven't seen saw since it came out. my memory was that it was a smarter horror except the danny glover stuff was meh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

halloween 1 is so simple and good. I would watch it again anytime. All the slashers it inspired, none of them keep it as simple.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is pretty forgettable in the first half but the second half is so visceral it makes the first half memorable by proxy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
You're right on that it focuses way more on the characters and that is the interesting stuff on repeat watches - figuring out how these two guys' lives are intertwined. The other twist, the big one that gets revealed at the end, is much less effective after the first time and it kind of makes the actual "murder puzzle" part of it boring

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Antonymous posted:

halloween 1 is so simple and good. I would watch it again anytime. All the slashers it inspired, none of them keep it as simple.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre is pretty forgettable in the first half but the second half is so visceral it makes the first half memorable by proxy

The whole movie slams into a different gear once Leatherface makes his first appearance

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Once the genre was established a lot of horror movies function with the audience wondering who will survive and who will die

so many zombie, slasher, monster movies, blaire witch, final destination, the descent, the thing, alien, etc. The rule is that only one of the leads will make it to the end of the movie and the audience is waiting to see who. It's also the premise of the show Survivor.

Film critics point out a trope is that it's the black male who survives, or conversely, the "last girl" - a woman is always the final one. Idk what they propose should be different.

Anyway its a great framework for tension and stakes. I'd love a gangster movie where the police slowly nab (or a rival gang slowly kills) members of a criminal gang, or a movie about a group of actor friends going to auditions and less and less make callbacks. whatever.

I saw a review that said when survival is at stake, we lose our humanity. There's no romantic subplot, trying to seduce the beautiful girl, when we're worried about being eaten. No politeness. We are all equal (Triangle of Sadness fails to really get this part). We can work together, we can sacrifice one so the group can get away. That reduction is a great way to create good characters.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Halloween asks the question "what if The Boogeyman was real" and I think almost every slasher that has come in its wake has basically copied the question but then complicated it.

"What if the Boogeyman was real... But he came for you in your dreams?" - Nightmare on Elm St
"What if the Boogeyman was real... But he was an immortal zombie?" - Friday the 13th
"What if the Boogeyman was real... But he was trapped in the body of a child's toy?" - Chucky

The stuff that makes Halloween still work is that he's just a guy, and you don't know why he's coming for you or what the circumstances are or if there's some kind of magic keeping him alive. There's no ritual to uncover or secret society of Meyerses that summoned him. He's just here, and he's coming for you, because that's what the Boogeyman does.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

you are correct

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/southland_tales

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I prefer all those movies to Halloween. Mike Meyers is boring, doesn't even crack jokes.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"What if the Boogeyman was real... But he was an immortal zombie?" - Friday the 13th

The sequels sure but not the first one and possibly second depending on how you feel about Jason in 2

Also NoES is my fav of the big franchises. Chucky also has a ridiculous hit rate in quality, like only the third movie isn't very good but still better than like Halloween 4 and the other franchises later entries. Chucky is also less "what if Boogeyman is real" and becomes more of a revenge saga and then comedy wrapped in a slasher veneer.

MacheteZombie has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Oct 24, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

The sequels sure but not the first one and possibly second depending on how you feel about Jason in 2

Well yeah but I'm trying to generalize all the Friday the 13th movies in one sentence here, not provide an accurate summary of each one

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6tz9pga4H4

My favorite Jason moment.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I think the opening of Halloween works to explain all the questions. He had a 'traumatic' experience as a kid and wants to relive it as exactly as he can, mask and all. That's something real serial killers do. And he waited decades in the mental hospital for his next chance.

I never liked the doctor's lines trying to explain him. He's just someone who likes to kill, nothing else behind the eyes. The premise is that some people are born hosed up, nothing caused it. Everything else in the film seems more 'real life' than 'horror movie' and that also really adds to why it's good, but this stuff in exposition felt weak.

And the film establishes the genre trope that sexuality gets you killed. Jamie Lee Curtis survives cause she's a prude, that's the logic of the film even tho it's not the logic of the plot per se. It's a very conservative movie in that sense, along with the 'some people are born evil'.

The stuff about him being the boogyman incarnate or trying to explain how he keeps getting up at the end, well, in the original film I think he's still just a guy in a mask, a hosed up mute trying to relive his childhood,. Yah he's determined and gets up again twice at the ending but it's not supernatural.

the final shots of empty rooms with breathing superimposed is A+++++. it deserved to make like 100x its budget back or whatever

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Well yeah but I'm trying to generalize all the Friday the 13th movies in one sentence here, not provide an accurate summary of each one

You should count Halloweens sequels too because it goes up its own rear end in ritual lore and nosedives so hard as result. That loving thorn cult poo poo in like h5 or whatever. Bleh

Halloween has the lowest lows of all those big slasher series. Loo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Loomis is always full of poo poo. It's why I love him

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

I never liked the doctor's lines trying to explain him. He's just someone who likes to kill, nothing else behind the eyes. The premise is that some people are born hosed up, nothing caused it. Everything else in the film seems more 'real life' than 'horror movie' and that also really adds to why it's good, but this stuff in exposition felt weak.

Look we can all agree: Loomis is probably the worst Psychiatrist of all time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ben tramer eating poo poo is one of the best deaths in any slasher flick

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The original chucky (child's play) tries to make it ambiguous if the kid is doing the killings or, as he says, the doll. If not for the opening it would be a really good gag until the doll comes to life on screen at like the halfway point.

Hellraiser 1 is so great too, like having to feed men to your lover so he can rebuild his body. it's nothing like what the series is 'known for' and when you watch the first in a horror franchise you almost always find really good stuff that's not genre at all, just cool story ideas

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

You should count Halloweens sequels too because it goes up its own rear end in ritual lore and nosedives so hard as result. That loving thorn cult poo poo in like h5 or whatever. Bleh

Halloween has the lowest lows of all those big slasher series. Loo

I'm not even necessarily saying it's a bad thing. Just that the more wrinkles you put in that original premise, the harder time you're going to have steering it back to being a film that's about the characters. Because you have to spend time, like you said, going up your own rear end with lore.

Occasionally those wrinkles end up making a premise that I think is genuinely interesting, like Nightmare on Elm Street 2 being about Freddy manifesting himself through a closeted gay teenager.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://i.imgur.com/VdMnT6R.mp4

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's always sad to meet people who say "I don't watch horror movies" because they think its just naked women getting hacked apart :(

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I dont watch horror movies because im badbrained and scared enough of the real world

we are not the same

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Antonymous posted:

I think the opening of Halloween works to explain all the questions. He had a 'traumatic' experience as a kid and wants to relive it as exactly as he can, mask and all. That's something real serial killers do. And he waited decades in the mental hospital for his next chance.

And the film establishes the genre trope that sexuality gets you killed. Jamie Lee Curtis survives cause she's a prude, that's the logic of the film even tho it's not the logic of the plot per se. It's a very conservative movie in that sense, along with the 'some people are born evil'.

The stuff about him being the boogyman incarnate or trying to explain how he keeps getting up at the end, well, in the original film I think he's still just a guy in a mask, a hosed up mute trying to relive his childhood,. Yah he's determined and gets up again twice at the ending but it's not supernatural.

the final shots of empty rooms with breathing superimposed is A+++++. it deserved to make like 100x its budget back or whatever

For what it's worth, John Carpenter empathically denies link between sex and murder in Halloween and Laurie Strode isn't much of a prude. She spends the first portion of the movie cruising around town smoking weed with her friend and it's implied that she's just a nerd who can't get a date for Halloween.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tricky D posted:

For what it's worth, John Carpenter empathically denies link between sex and murder in Halloween and Laurie Strode isn't much of a prude. She spends the first portion of the movie cruising around town smoking weed with her friend and it's implied that she's just a nerd who can't get a date for Halloween.

sorry John but I've seen your movie and Michael definitely uses his knife as a substitute penis

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

SKVLK posted:

I know we have some Nightmare Before Christmas viewers in CSPAM. Did anyone else watch it as an adult and feel like it's really a story about a man having a manic episode and tearing his life apart?

At least he bounces back really fast. In the span of one song he goes from despondent to "well I did my best and I had a lot of fun. Back to work!"

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

sorry John but I've seen your movie and Michael definitely uses his knife as a substitute penis

Now I'm thinking about the dog he killed in this context. Good stuff.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tricky D posted:

Now I'm thinking about the dog he killed in this context. Good stuff.

look, 15 years is a LONG time to be in a sanitarium

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I still have no idea what taking his sister's headstone from the cemetery was about though.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Lucas_Shaw/status/1584583804857241600

Lol at that 2nd paragraph

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol at that 2nd paragraph

lmao holy poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

10/10 flawless

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

need to watch hereditary again, saw it in theater at the alamo drafthouse (where I also watched sorry to bother you sight unseen with no idea what it was about) which was an a1 experience, what cinema is all about

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

a tune as old as time

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit a classic tune that has charted for over 3000 years. This song was performed acapella in the time of the Pharaohs, Babylon and Rome, went acoustic with The Spanish Inquisition and Russia's Pale of Settlement, and Hitler took the song electric.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm not even necessarily saying it's a bad thing. Just that the more wrinkles you put in that original premise, the harder time you're going to have steering it back to being a film that's about the characters. Because you have to spend time, like you said, going up your own rear end with lore.

Occasionally those wrinkles end up making a premise that I think is genuinely interesting, like Nightmare on Elm Street 2 being about Freddy manifesting himself through a closeted gay teenager.

Totally fair I just love posting about movies, especially horror movies so I'll look for any excuse to :justpost:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Each Sunday, Pitchfork takes an in-depth look at a significant album from the past, and any record not in our archives is eligible. Today, we revisit a classic tune that has charted for over 3000 years. This song was performed acapella in the time of the Pharaohs, Babylon and Rome, went acoustic with The Spanish Inquisition and Russia's Pale of Settlement, and Hitler took the song electric.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

slasher movies became pointless after predator was made. there is but only one summit.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uh ancient civilizations had acoustic instruments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Ancient civs had "Jews control the world" conspiracy theories?