Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unfortunately broken wrists are one of the most common injuries from skating.

I wasn't wearing wrist guards for a while but I decided it's better to be safe and started wearing them again... However, I think the fit is pretty important. Ideally you probably want one that will prevent your wrist from bending and I'm honestly not sure the ones I've been wearing fit right to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
my wrist is absolutely fine, that guard worked. my elbow didn't even touch the ground, it just smashed into itself. i have "closed posttraumatic nondisplaced fracture of the radial neck. no additional acute fracture. no dislocation"

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

my wrist is absolutely fine, that guard worked. my elbow didn't even touch the ground, it just smashed into itself. i have "closed posttraumatic nondisplaced fracture of the radial neck. no additional acute fracture. no dislocation"
Oh, I misread that. I'm not sure what you can even do to prevent that aside from falling differently then, hmm.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The two circles of this cameraman's life suddenly merged together in one beautiful venn diagram

https://www.twitter.com/joepompliano/status/1559539733591728128

butt dickus posted:

wrist, elbow, knee pads and helmet. when i landed on my wrist pad, i felt my elbow go backwards more than normal (they hyperextend like 10-15 degrees). next time i will land on my elbow and let the pad do its job.

Two of the most important skating skills:

1) be able to drop to your knees no matter how you're falling
2) if you can't get to your knees, drop to your shoulder and roll

I usually skip elbow pads and last year I had a big wipeout when I hit a crack mid-stride in a fast turn, but I managed to land on my shoulder and my elbows were almost entirely untouched. I think landing on your elbow is how you usually break your collar bone?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dear god please someone tell me how to find longer lasting toe-stops or some cheap rear end way of acquiring them. I can seriously blast through a $10 set in one session if I am learning a new trick and it's getting way too drat expensive. HELP ME

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

How the hell did I lose a cuff bolt while skating wtf.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How the hell did I lose a cuff bolt while skating wtf.
I did that once

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
my wife managed to lose one of her axles while we were skating, sending the wheel rolling off on its own. I have no idea how she managed that because if mine are even the slightest bit lose it sounds like I'm stomping around in wooden clogs or something

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh nm actually what I lost was the screw on one of the straps not the cuff bolt

Mauser posted:

my wife managed to lose one of her axles while we were skating, sending the wheel rolling off on its own. I have no idea how she managed that because if mine are even the slightest bit lose it sounds like I'm stomping around in wooden clogs or something
Yeah I can't imagine not noticing when it's loose to the point where you actually lose the axle. First you hear it and if you somehow don't notice that it tends to start feeling weird once it gets slightly looser.

After one time getting traumatized when my frame got loose on one skate and I didn't have a hex wrench with me, the second anything starts to feel loose I'm like "please just be an axle" (I always carry a hex wrench with me now anyway though).

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 29, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

I have definitely seen a wheel go whizzing past everyone on a group skate. Also people skating on 3 wheels in a 4x frame.

Turns out you can't buy skate parts for poo poo in the UK at the moment, I had to order the cuff bolt and some new ratchet straps (because the teeth were getting shredded on mine) from the Netherlands.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hit my first transition from a quarter pipe to flat ground. Feels insane. Looks like nothing from this camera angle but I am loving jazzed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfczT7B8HIQ

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
I was hoping there were some goon skaters, and I was not disappointed. Just got a schmancy action camera and finally taught myself to clumsily edit some footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiFBNT8Df0

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Intl Cron posted:

I was hoping there were some goon skaters, and I was not disappointed. Just got a schmancy action camera and finally taught myself to clumsily edit some footage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiFBNT8Df0
Nice

Philadelphia seems like it's probably pretty dece for skating

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

mystes posted:

Nice

Philadelphia seems like it's probably pretty dece for skating

Thanks! This was my first time skating in the "city proper" - I was actually supposed to meet with an established group of city skaters, but the typical meeting spot was blocked off by all these festival goings-on, so I tried to make the best of it!

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

Well a week later, I finally got to meet up with the Philadelphia Landskaters! It was a small group this Saturday, but we still blasted a very decent 16-mile loop through North Philly and back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUiO76YsDoM

Intl Cron fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 11, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Sitting (kinda) here with a bruised tailbone and ego and, goons, it drat sucks.

Did successfully drop into a vertical ramp FINALLY. Just got a little bold and tried to jump into one after that. Immediately snapped back as my wheels took off from underneath me. Thank God for my bodacious booty.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

my buddy busted his rear end not long ago and said it hurt so bad he was considering rear end pads. my arm is almost healed and i'm planning on trying again after my next doctor visit. my next goal is to learn how to stop

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Finally realised what I was doing wrong with hockey stop/parallel slides and as usual, it's that I was completely doing the turn wrong and turning into it instead of away then snapping back :rolleyes:

It was watching a video of the wizard guy while drunk that made me go "ohhhhh", now I just need to actually practice.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Finally realised what I was doing wrong with hockey stop/parallel slides and as usual, it's that I was completely doing the turn wrong and turning into it instead of away then snapping back :rolleyes:

It was watching a video of the wizard guy while drunk that made me go "ohhhhh", now I just need to actually practice.

If I'm understanding right, you're doing two turns, first away and then back parallel?

I saw a video that helped me and instead of turning at all the guy just kicks his legs sideways and leans to brace for the slide.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

If I'm understanding right, you're doing two turns, first away and then back parallel?

I saw a video that helped me and instead of turning at all the guy just kicks his legs sideways and leans to brace for the slide.

Yeah but on the second turn I wasn't turning my body properly (I can't mentally picture it now I'm not on my skates) to get the twist needed to start the slide, just trying to do it by tightening the turn which nearly worked but was a lot of effort.

It was the bit in this at about 3min where he has his arms out to show the change that made me go "ohhhhh":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhIjNeXbYzA

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

ah I got you now. I can't find the video that helped me figure it out, but that one's much more descriptive

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

ok, I tried the hand thing and couldn't get it to do anything for me. my torso is definitely rotating a bit while doing the slide, but not sure I'm doing it the same way as him

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mauser posted:

ok, I tried the hand thing and couldn't get it to do anything for me. my torso is definitely rotating a bit while doing the slide, but not sure I'm doing it the same way as him
I think If you are able to do a parallel slide you are probably effectively doing it the same way.

If you didn't counterrotate your torso you wouldn't be facing forward at the end. As long as you are actually doing this it probably doesn't matter whether you think of yourself as turning your legs and counterrotating your torso or just keeping your torso straight and rotating your legs.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah, I'll need to just kinda mentally record what I'm doing next time because like you said I'm probably doing exactly what he's showing. A lot of times when I can do something in one direction, I need to just walk myself through what I'm doing in order to get my feet to cooperate in the opposite direction.

There's a really amazing feeling I get after skating around for a few hours, trying out some new moves or whatever, doing some laps at top speed. At that point I'm pretty exhausted, but pretty in the zone where skating requires zero effort or thought. I taught myself last year as a grown rear end adult, so my feet still feel really stupid for the first minute or so any time I go out to the park skating.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So anyone have any special words on skate positioning when you drop into a pipe? I feel like a lot of the hard time I am having might have been from trying to drop in off of my toe stops. Anyone ever tried dropping in sideways with like outside wheels on the ramp side of the coping? I really feel like there has got to be a better way. Hopefully someone else is park skating on quads in here....

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 18, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i went skating again yesterday and broke one less bone than last time i went

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Collected together my summer aggressive clips into a little edit like what I did last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kq9B8KxRwQ

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i went again today. def. feeling more comfortable and have tightened my turn radius (to maybe like 8 feet) but i still can't figure out how to stop. if i'm going slow i can move my feet out and then back in and that slows me down more. i've also been able to point my toes in and alternate picking up each foot and moving it to the outside some and it slows me down some. neither of those works for me when i'm going downhill but i have my car strategically parked so i can skate into it. when i say "downhill" i'm talking about a gentle grade in a parking lot in kansas

as for the skating itself i think that i'm doing better but i'm still pretty sure i'm doing something wrong because the only muscle i can ever feel anything in is the center of my lower back

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i went again today. def. feeling more comfortable and have tightened my turn radius (to maybe like 8 feet) but i still can't figure out how to stop. if i'm going slow i can move my feet out and then back in and that slows me down more. i've also been able to point my toes in and alternate picking up each foot and moving it to the outside some and it slows me down some. neither of those works for me when i'm going downhill but i have my car strategically parked so i can skate into it. when i say "downhill" i'm talking about a gentle grade in a parking lot in kansas
That sounds like a good start for only having skated a few times. Definitely be careful about going at all downhill until you know what you're doing.

Try to work on balancing on one foot on your center edge while gliding if you can't already (make sure you're propelling yourself by pushing backwards with your pushing foot since it's easy to start sort of shuffling forward at the beginning) and once you have that down try working on a t-stop.

If you're in a wide place like a parking lot you can also try turning uphill which is probably a good habit to get into when you aren't sure you're ok going down but you may have to work on your turning technique more first.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 25, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i think a t-stop is what my friend is trying to get me to do, he kinda drags one of his skates behind him sideways. i haven't been able to lift the skate up enough and i feel like if i try that both of them will shoot out from under me and i'll be doing the splits. my skates came with a brake that goes on the back but i removed it after skating today because i haven't been able to use it even once

i have terrible balance. i can stand on one foot with no problems and even do one-legged squats but that's because my feet are huge and that advantage goes away when i have wheels on them. i've never been able to ride a bike without holding at least one handlebar and when doing lunges or bulgarian squats i lose my balance every set

mystes
May 31, 2006

You don't need to have great balance you just need to get used to it. You should have almost all your weight in your gliding foot and be able to lift up your non-gliding foot (and then switch)

If you can't it's probably because you're staying on your inside edges and pronating your feet which is something beginners always do but you want to correct as soon as possible.

Try forcing yourself to go beyond the center edge onto the outside edge of your gliding foot. This may seem scary at first but once you realize it's fine it will be easier to stay on your center edge.

Then try gliding around and just briefly lift up your other foot a tiny bit.

Taking off the rubber brake and diving in to learning other stopping techniques is fine but you're probably having the same fundamental problem trying to use it which is not being able to balance on one skate and unweight the one with the brake

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 26, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

he had me march in place before even trying to skate which i could do but it's different when i'm moving, especially fast (fast for me, lol). when i started the only way i could turn was to pick the skate up and put it down in the direction i wanted it to go. so i guess i can do it but only for a split second to move it because i immediately feel like i am going to fall one way or the other, it's almost the same feeling as when i let go of the handlebars on my bike. it's not always to the inside direction but i do notice my wheels have more wear on the inside

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

the last time i tried to go skating there was an event happening in the parking lot we usually skate in. i went again last night and there was a small private event so it was mostly open but they kicked us out. we ended up going to a much rougher parking lot with waves and cracks but i was able to handle it. still not going very fast. i got a smartwatch with "automatic workout tracking" and it logged it as walking haha

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I taught myself to skate on some pretty roughed up road at the park nearby and skating on freshly paved stuff is a wonderful experience. I think I'm done skating for the year now that it's cold and windy again and going back to cycling as my full time exercise. Skating against the wind just isn't fun for me at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You obviously just need to skate backwards

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
STOP RAINING DAMNIT

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

STOP RAINING DAMNIT

The skater's prayer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fall is annoying because leaves take loving forever to dry out after it rains and wet leaves are the worst thing

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Weather making me think hard about getting some grinding blocks and a t-rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Haven’t tried this yet but it looks like good vibes

https://indigodoyle.itch.io/rollergirl