Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Anno posted:

Game looks very good and fun. Can’t wait to start gardening tomorrow.

Congrats Wiz, Ofaloaf and any devs that browse/post here. Seems like you made a really cool game.

EDIT: wow what a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

I am excited to play vicky 3 with my friends

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Why is it so long until release?! :f5:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

ItohRespectArmy posted:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

ItohRespectArmy posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Johan, Wiz, can you unlock the game at midnight for us?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
What are these games like, if I never played Victoria? I did play Crusader Kings 3.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

What are these games like, if I never played Victoria? I did play Crusader Kings 3.

Spiff is doing a pretty good stream right now, oddly enough mostly focused on war right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcDtjrAqaU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Brain breaking.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TwoQuestions posted:

Spiff is doing a pretty good stream right now, oddly enough mostly focused on war right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFcDtjrAqaU

Funny joke, everyone knows this game has no war

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In the grim darkness of the near past there is only war.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Snooze Cruise posted:

what dlc is everyone looking forward to? i am excited for the currency DLC. it will add in a coin/bill designer with a dog icon as one of the options so crypto people can put in doge coin into the game.
I would love for there to be actual currencies, rather than generic money. Let there be currencies backed by gold, silver, or both, and even currency unions the Pope can undermine with irresponsible economic behavior. Also just an expansion of all kinds of finance/banking poo poo, and debts incurred in different currencies which can be manipulated.

Ardryn posted:

To be fair, The US is nothing if not full of jank.
This is why there's a category of games called Eurojank, because you can't just assume it all is.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It worked fine in Vicky II, you just had fronts composed of division-esque armies because your population, your ability to mobilize them, and the combat mechanics themselves enabled a different disposition. It was one of the few unambiguous successes of that game, it happened to be let down by horrific UI.

The reason its different now is purely game design. V3 is supposedly about fighting internal politics and the domestic economy, less about manhandling the AI in wars.

Adding meaningless graphics to the war overlay is perfectly reasonable imo
It was fine in certain areas. The map let it down though, since the large provinces of Eastern Europe allowed long stretches of trench warfare to be established despite this being an utterly absurd idea in real life.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Is it too early to start assuming that everything that Paradox is working on is Vicky 4?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would love for there to be actual currencies, rather than generic money. Let there be currencies backed by gold, silver, or both, and even currency unions the Pope can undermine with irresponsible economic behavior. Also just an expansion of all kinds of finance/banking poo poo, and debts incurred in different currencies which can be manipulated.

Goddamn I'm so loving hype for this, if it's possible. Have a whole currency design/backing system! Have a Shilling that's 30% Gold, 50% Silver, and 20% Fiat by value! Cowrie shells! Booze currency! Actual buckskin currency!

That's gonna be great, and I apologize to PDX for supporting this idea...

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TwoQuestions posted:

Goddamn I'm so loving hype for this, if it's possible. Have a whole currency design/backing system! Have a Shilling that's 30% Gold, 50% Silver, and 20% Fiat by value! Cowrie shells! Booze currency! Actual buckskin currency!

That's gonna be great, and I apologize to PDX for supporting this idea...

I'm only onboard if we can pay our workers in scrip.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm only onboard if we can pay our workers in scrip.

There’d best be an achievement called “I owe my soul to the company store” if you do this.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I will say the spiff stream really has been changing my feelings about the game. Looks good. Maybe I just didn’t like the way people were playing it. Lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Workers at the paper factory have a much higher standard of living than everyone else in Papertown because they've been printing their own scrip

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

victoria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Snooze Cruise posted:

what dlc is everyone looking forward to? i am excited for the currency DLC. it will add in a coin/bill designer with a dog icon as one of the options so crypto people can put in doge coin into the game.

I'm personally hoping they do something crazy with tech at some point. It's a little weird seeing all these radically redesigned systems and then a pretty generic looking tech tree, even if it's basically what we had in Vicky 2.

Okay, maybe I just really miss tech teams. Assigning research projects to historical figures and institutions was rad. That system's probably more suited to the HOI games, but let me dream dammit!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
the tech system is actually pretty different from how it is in Vicky 2, it's just as far as I can tell the player input is roughly the same.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I'm personally hoping they do something crazy with tech at some point. It's a little weird seeing all these radically redesigned systems and then a pretty generic looking tech tree, even if it's basically what we had in Vicky 2.

Okay, maybe I just really miss tech teams. Assigning research projects to historical figures and institutions was rad. That system's probably more suited to the HOI games, but let me dream dammit!

I'm sure a future patch/DLC will combine the character system with the tech system. There were so many famous scientists and inventors in this time period

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think it was kind of silly to have individual thinkers and scientists as 'inventions'. Like, sure, the socio-political dynamic of the world is radically different, but there is still a dude named John Stuart Mill doing the same thing he did in OTL and you get prestige for 'inventing him' or whatever.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I live in a world where when I go to sleep and wake up tomorrow, it will be Victoria 3 release day. I think this timeline isn't so cursed after all!

(Also, is it 4 or 6 cest it releases?)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tech teams were fun. You kinda have them in that you fund individual universities to propel research.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Hellioning posted:

I think it was kind of silly to have individual thinkers and scientists as 'inventions'. Like, sure, the socio-political dynamic of the world is radically different, but there is still a dude named John Stuart Mill doing the same thing he did in OTL and you get prestige for 'inventing him' or whatever.

john stuart mill was 30 years old in 1836

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

VostokProgram posted:

I'm sure a future patch/DLC will combine the character system with the tech system. There were so many famous scientists and inventors in this time period

and they can even add in a Sabaton Soundtrack DLC for good fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkeOkaVRLo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

VostokProgram posted:

after a talk with a friend last night I came away believing paradox shouldn’t have had the character system on launch, basically

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

Hellioning posted:

Oh I meant “assigning” techs to historical figures and institutions in the sense of employing them to do research like in HOI2/Darkest Hour, not making them like Vicky 2 inventions.

Waifu Radia posted:

after a talk with a friend last night I came away believing paradox shouldn’t have had the character system on launch, basically

Like, they should have fleshed it out more, or tied it into more systems?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Like, they should have fleshed it out more, or tied it into more systems?

It deserves fleshing out in some detailed way, even if just for very interesting narrative arcs in your country, and so impact systems.. honestly I feel like the current way it impacts systems isn’t bad, but more “emergently” maybe?

and so maybe a post release focus rather than something dev time was focused on early . Imo I suppose

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Hellioning posted:

John Stuart Mill was a conscious project at creating an intellectual though. It sort of makes sense for him to be an "invention."

Anyone else would be a better example.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

and they can even add in a Sabaton Soundtrack DLC for good fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkeOkaVRLo
Father of toxic gas and chemical warfare
his dark creation has been revealed.

Thankfully chemical warfare turned out to be significantly inferior to just blowing poo poo up instead.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Poil posted:

Thankfully chemical warfare turned out to be significantly inferior to just blowing poo poo up instead.

Is that really what happened? I figured people just decide that it was too hosed up to keep going down that path.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol I saw a review that stated that somehow Mexico acquired southern Colorado and nothing else, so the Jank is still there. Which is fun

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Is that really what happened? I figured people just decide that it was too hosed up to keep going down that path.

Little of column A little of column B. They banned chemical warfare pretty quickly but the fact that it was clear it wasn't the future of warfare is probably one of the reasons everyone felt comfortable banning it.

Atrocious Joe posted:

John Stuart Mill was a conscious project at creating an intellectual though. It sort of makes sense for him to be an "invention."

Anyone else would be a better example.

Ugh, I just picked a random name out of the list, naturally.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Poil posted:

Agent Orange says hi

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Though I will say the reason chemical weapons may seem less prominent is that the real gnarly poo poo comes in the form of biological agents and depleted uranium nowadays

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

They took tech teams out of hoi and replaced it with something worse. In terms of vicky the current one does look pretty systems-placeholdery to me but i guess we'll just see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol I saw a review that stated that somehow Mexico acquired southern Colorado and nothing else, so the Jank is still there. Which is fun
One of the biggest, essentially aesthetic, issues I see in the game right now is how organic unrecognized defacto borders of decentralized nations override the surveyor lines that imperial countries actually cared about.

The most obvious issue is that decentralized nation on the US Canadian border. IRL, the US and UK agreed to a straight line and I guess subjugated the half of the decentralized nation on their side, but Victoria 3 doesn't have a system that acknowledges the imperial fiction, which leads to really silly and unsatisfying borders.

Specifically it looks like there's a system for native uprisings where if you put it down you get to annex the whole decentralized nation- not just the bit in the state you're colonizing. It's a huge mess between the US and Mexico too.

It's definitely not much of a gameplay issue, but "pretty" borders are important! Or at least it should be possible for historical borders to happen, rather than divergences 100% of the time.