Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I'll save them on a wishlist for later. Just got outta prison and haven't gotten 1st paycheck yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

odinson posted:

Looking for some suggestions for shoes. Need ankle support along with the usual non-slip / water resistant features.

Danner work boots served me well for many years and might be less expensive than Red Wings these days.

odinson posted:

Just got outta prison

Welcome back. Is there a good story behind this? My apologies if you didn't really want to think about it.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Ya how did you escape?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
University dining hall work situation these days:

Once again, the school has admitted a record number of new students. So we have more customers than ever before. Our staffing level never got back to normal "after Covid." I put that in quotes because, of course, even though Covid has been declared "over," we routinely have people out with Covid. So we're short-handed to begin with and every couple months, half the team goes down in kind of a wave sequence with Covid. I had it in September. It sucked. But you know what sucked more? Every day, my boss would call me and demand to know about symptoms, act flabbergasted that a person could have a fever for that many days, ask when I "planned" on coming back, and just generally acted like the giant rear end in a top hat that he is. Somebody from the school contacted me about our half-assed "contact tracing." They wanted to know where I'd been and who I'd been around. "Everywhere and everybody" seemed to surprise them. I wear a KN94 respirator every day. One guy wears an N95 every day. He was out with Covid last week and is still suffering from a nasty cough. Maybe a quarter of the rest of the guys wear some type of mask, with varying consistency.

Anyway, enough about loving Covid. Our problem is that we don't have enough cooks, we don't have enough student workers, it's beyond obvious, everybody knows it, and management doesn't appear to give a poo poo. If we have more students than ever before, why don't we hire them?

Here's how it goes with our general manager: We inform him of small problem, he replies with some variation of "Deal with it, do more with less, your job is easy, there's nothing I can do, you're the only one complaining." Okay, so we stop talking to him, since he's being an Australian word. Small problem eventually snowballs into big problem, (and you can name it, staffing, equipment, communication, menu items, anything) and then we have to talk to him about it, and he replies, "This is the first I'm hearing of this! Why didn't you tell me?"

He never gives positive feedback. I don't need somebody patting me on the back and telling me "Good job!" but when the only thing you ever hear from the boss is something negative when you know that you do 99% of your job perfectly, that's grating.

He's also had a guy coming in on the weekends to do prep work. For free. I thought he was doing it for overtime. He's doing it because "Well, we don't have enough people, I need to help the team." Management's excuse for this is, "Well, we're not here on the weekends, we don't know what goes on. And besides, he is volunteering his time, we didn't make him do anything." This guy's not union, he's the chef of his station, which is a quasi-management position. Which doesn't even pay much better at all. In fact, our union is virtually non-existent at this point. Over the years, long-time union guys retired and did not get replaced. Positions consolidated. People stuck doing two guys' jobs forever. Guys promoted to positions that aren't union but aren't functionally different from what we do. And of course, the huge thing that happened years ago is that our state voted to gently caress unions in the long-term by making it so that if you work in a union shop, you can have all the benefits of membership... without joining. So most new hires don't go union. They don't seem to understand that eventually, when the scales finally tip, the employer will just get out of the contract and slash everybody's benefits, health insurance, time off, pay, everything.

So basically, I can see that this will become a worse and worse place to work. Which really sucks, because it was absolutely the best thing in the area when I started. Why don't they just hire an adequate number of people to run things smoothly? Why am I even asking that question about this particular industry? We had a good thing going for the workers, management hosed it up, they're happy keeping it hosed up, a lot of old guys are close to retiring, I guess they won't be replaced, and I don't plan on being here when we're inevitably asked to do three guys' jobs, four guys' jobs, and so on.

I don't see how an operation even continues in that scenario, but I'm sure they'll insist on it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Animal-Mother posted:

He's doing it because "Well, we don't have enough people, I need to help the team."

Why don't they just hire an adequate number of people to run things smoothly?

Ahh yeah, right in the soul, hurt me more, loving grade a human tragedy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's just classic "I know this will get me the promotion, the boss will see what a good little boy I am"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just quit, wtf are you still doing there

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

odinson posted:

Looking for some suggestions for shoes. Need ankle support along with the usual non-slip / water resistant features.

Shoes for crews IMO aren't great longevity wise, but the Mozo brand on their website have been my go-to for years now, I think they have a couple mids.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
I wouldn't call it a good story, but it may help some others out.

Worked an opening shift about 3 years ago at this bar/restaurant. Got off work and went straight to the bar. Next thing I know its 2 weeks later and I'm in the ICU coming outta 2 week coma.

I had apparently chosen to drive home and caused an accident. It was beyond fortunate that the other people in the car I hit weren't seriously injured. I got fubared though and still need a total knee replacement surgery on top of several other issues (no health insurance) Got charged with 4 counts of felony DUI w/ grievous bodily injury. Plea bargained down to 1 count. Lawyer all but guaranteed I'd make parole after 1 year, but I didn't and ended up doing 23 months and I'm on paper till April.

Started doing A/A in prison to look good for the parole board and kept up with it even after my denial. I'm back in the kitchen b/c felon status made it hard to find a job quickly after release. Living in an Oxford House for now and saving up for a moped.

So yeah, don't drink and drive kids.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

odinson posted:

I wouldn't call it a good story, but it may help some others out.

Worked an opening shift about 3 years ago at this bar/restaurant. Got off work and went straight to the bar. Next thing I know its 2 weeks later and I'm in the ICU coming outta 2 week coma.

I had apparently chosen to drive home and caused an accident. It was beyond fortunate that the other people in the car I hit weren't seriously injured. I got fubared though and still need a total knee replacement surgery on top of several other issues (no health insurance) Got charged with 4 counts of felony DUI w/ grievous bodily injury. Plea bargained down to 1 count. Lawyer all but guaranteed I'd make parole after 1 year, but I didn't and ended up doing 23 months and I'm on paper till April.

Started doing A/A in prison to look good for the parole board and kept up with it even after my denial. I'm back in the kitchen b/c felon status made it hard to find a job quickly after release. Living in an Oxford House for now and saving up for a moped.

So yeah, don't drink and drive kids.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you and the people in the other car are okay.

You can try military surplus places for boots, they don't all look like insane military boots.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Just quit, wtf are you still doing there

Best paying food gig in the area where my partner is doing her PhD.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Animal-Mother posted:

Best paying food gig in the area where my partner is doing her PhD.

Have you thought about getting a non food gig? How much do they pay you?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Have you thought about getting a non food gig? How much do they pay you?

Watch it be like $16/hour lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
$22.

And decent benefits. But that's still poo poo, especially now. I am seriously considering switching Industries entirely. Today's bullshit is that the boss demands everybody take their breaks at one particular table in the dining room so it's convenient for him if he has to tell everybody something. He says Covid is over, no reason to live in fear. I've lost track of how many times Covid has been over. Of course, in this state, it's illegal to restrict employees' movement on their breaks. We can drive off, get lunch somewhere. I want to see if he'll put this order in writing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

$22.

And decent benefits. But that's still poo poo, especially now. I am seriously considering switching Industries entirely. Today's bullshit is that the boss demands everybody take their breaks at one particular table in the dining room so it's convenient for him if he has to tell everybody something. He says Covid is over, no reason to live in fear. I've lost track of how many times Covid has been over. Of course, in this state, it's illegal to restrict employees' movement on their breaks. We can drive off, get lunch somewhere. I want to see if he'll put this order in writing.

gently caress that, in its entirety. Leave the industry like everyone else is doing, it doesn't deserve anyone

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

About three months ago we won a bid to furnish a new restaurant. Three kids showed up on a friday an hour before the warehouse closes to pick up $67,000 worth of equipment in a uhaul. It is 8:00pm when everything is out of our hands: every piece of equipment is loaded, and my coworkers leave. I stick around to close a gate, and come across the kids again, they've got the back door latched shut. I walk by and think, wow, they strapped that fast, go back inside while they leave. I realize then, there is no loving way they did it that fast. We have a camera there, and I check it. Sure enough, these idiots loaded up an entire kitchen inside a rental vehicle and drove off to a restaurant 140 miles away without a single strap. We still haven't heard a thing from them.

I really want to make the drive there someday, because this is the setup

code:
Kitchen . Expo . . . Dish drop . Dishwasher . . .  Dry storage . Walkin
.                .                            .
Bar           DR door                      DR door
Kitchen has to walk behind dishwasher for anything at an intersection where servers pick up food and drop off dishes.

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 20, 2022

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
They’re probably still figuring out how to get it off the truck, since presumably a loading dock and/or forklift were involved on your end and u-hauls don’t usually come with lift gates.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Just in case anyone thought kitchen work was better outside of restaurants, it isn't! I run the prepared foods department for a national grocery chain, and here is what I'm dealing with today:

1. Our overnight receiver quit without notice on Saturday

2. The $11k order we got that night was left on the dock while everyone else on the shift just walked past it

3. The sous equivalent who opened Sunday found it, and had to throw all of it away

4. He didn't record spoilage for any of it, so I'm doing that today.

5. He placed some emergency orders, but billed them to another department by mistake, so I'm transferring all that product into my inventory today.

6. 3 cooks (of 4 scheduled) called out

7. The posted schedule and the printed one are somehow totally different, so neither of my opening dishwashers showed up today.

8. The trash compactor is broken, so the dish room was full of trash from last night.

9. One bag contained a chef knife that sliced my hand open when I moved it.

10. My closing sous equivalent called out for tonight's close.

11. The dish machine just broke.

It doesn't matter where you are, working in a kitchen is the worst thing you can do.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

while everyone else on the shift just walked past it

This is always the thing that turns me into a maniac. I guess I have to learn to accept that that's just the way most people are.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just in case anyone thought kitchen work was better outside of restaurants, it isn't! I run the prepared foods department for a national grocery chain, and here is what I'm dealing with today:

1. Our overnight receiver quit without notice on Saturday

2. The $11k order we got that night was left on the dock while everyone else on the shift just walked past it

3. The sous equivalent who opened Sunday found it, and had to throw all of it away

4. He didn't record spoilage for any of it, so I'm doing that today.

5. He placed some emergency orders, but billed them to another department by mistake, so I'm transferring all that product into my inventory today.

6. 3 cooks (of 4 scheduled) called out

7. The posted schedule and the printed one are somehow totally different, so neither of my opening dishwashers showed up today.

8. The trash compactor is broken, so the dish room was full of trash from last night.

9. One bag contained a chef knife that sliced my hand open when I moved it.

10. My closing sous equivalent called out for tonight's close.

11. The dish machine just broke.

It doesn't matter where you are, working in a kitchen is the worst thing you can do.

Do you pony up for a shift supervisor or pay extra for a senior person to be in charge? If it's not in their job description and it's normally handled by someone else I think it's pretty reasonable for people to walk past shipments of stuff on their way in to where they actually work.

Why do you think everyone hates working there/calls in sick so much out of curiosity? I'm not implying anything, I'm just curious what a management-level person infers from it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

This is indicative incompetent management, which explains a lot of employee apathy/calling out.

Grocery chains have been experiencing record profits since COVID and they aren't investing any of it into their stores, which makes employees care less and less about their jobs until you get to the point where they are doing as little as possible to not get fired.

I've had jobs where I liked it enough that I would make sure to tell someone there was a bunch of spoilable food sitting on the dock even though it wasn't my job to deal with it and I've had jobs where I would definitely look at that stack of produce and meat and think "gently caress it, not my problem, it's their own fault if it goes bad."

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Do you pony up for a shift supervisor or pay extra for a senior person to be in charge? If it's not in their job description and it's normally handled by someone else I think it's pretty reasonable for people to walk past shipments of stuff on their way in to where they actually work.

Why do you think everyone hates working there/calls in sick so much out of curiosity? I'm not implying anything, I'm just curious what a management-level person infers from it.

The problem with people walking past it is that the people who did so are receiving staff from other departments that work side by side with our guy every night, know what the product is, know where it goes, and know that it has to be refrigerated. Our man quit because his housing situation went pear shaped and he had to move in with someone out of town for the foreseeable future, nothing work related. These people would have had to move our stuff out of the way to get to theirs, and instead of just throwing it in our cooler, like they've done before, they left it there.

The call outs today weren't some rampant thing that happens all the time, it isn't that common. I don't doubt them for their reasons because they don't usually do it, it was just a happenstance that they all did it today. We actually have a pretty good working environment and morale is generally great, today just sucked rear end.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The problem with people walking past it is that the people who did so are receiving staff from other departments that work side by side with our guy every night, know what the product is, know where it goes, and know that it has to be refrigerated. Our man quit because his housing situation went pear shaped and he had to move in with someone out of town for the foreseeable future, nothing work related. These people would have had to move our stuff out of the way to get to theirs, and instead of just throwing it in our cooler, like they've done before, they left it there.

They've had to do extra work for you before? They're probably fed up with that bs having their jobs made harder. Not their problem.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

droll posted:

They've had to do extra work for you before? They're probably fed up with that bs having their jobs made harder. Not their problem.

No no, it's the normal procedure for the company. The receiving team works together to get everything out of the truck and into the receiving area, and then pallets get thrown to respective coolers. Then everyone goes to break down their own pallets from their coolers.

I'm going to stop engaging with this, the day was bad enough without you guys trying to make me feel like it's my fault somehow, especially when you pull random inferences like "they've had to do extra work before" or "why do people hate it and call out all the time" from whatever rear end you could find . I regret posting here more often than not.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 24, 2022

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I see no reason for anybody to do a job from somebody elses department when all they will get for their efforts is maybe a thank you. I know I sure love working twice as hard for literally zero gain other than it becoming part of my job because I did it once before so clearly I can do it everytime.

Edit: The forums aren't discord. I can't spoiler like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

No no, it's the normal procedure for the company. The receiving team works together to get everything out of the truck and into the receiving area, and then pallets get thrown to respective coolers. Then everyone goes to break down their own pallets from their coolers.

I'm going to stop engaging with this, the day was bad enough without you guys trying to make me feel like it's my fault somehow. I regret posting here more often than not.

I wasn't trying to say it was your fault, I'm saying it's fault of your bosses. I apologize for not making that clear. You had a lovely day cause by structural problems beyond your control, I was trying to point that out, not make your day worse.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
No one's blaming you OP, unless you're the one dragging your feet on hiring the replacement and you were the one that didn't have anyone else there to help after the regular quit and expected the others to pick up the slack. If this isn't your fault then no one here is blaming you. We're blaming the obviously dogshit management.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

droll posted:

No one's blaming you OP, unless you're the one dragging your feet on hiring the replacement and you were the one that didn't have anyone else there to help after the regular quit and expected the others to pick up the slack. If this isn't your fault then no one here is blaming you. We're blaming the obviously dogshit management.

I read this thread, but I don't think I've ever posted here. I worked for several years at Wal-Mart, and for a much shorter time at the OP's workplace. This was during the Great Recession. At a "Big Box" retail store, random managers will always try to pull people from one area to another to cover other areas, because the company is always trying to schedule just enough coverage to get by, and they recognize that even if there isn't enough coverage, they can pressure people into working harder. Also, it doesn't actually matter that much for the bottom line. If some things are out of stock, customers will buy something else. It's not like they're going to go to another store. Very few customers will shop at multiple stores to minimize their grocery bill. Hence the loss leader, sell your milk or whatever for a bit less to get them in the door, because they'll buy everything else regardless of the price.

But at a big enough store, like a Wal-Mart Supercenter, there's kind of always someone in a department. There's also dedicated receivers, unloaders, etc. A pallet doesn't get left on the dock in a big store. But in a smaller store, you get this situation where individuals are expected to both cover their entire department and area, plus anything else nearby. So there's one person in the entire dairy and frozen department, or there's a single individual scheduled to cover meat. Then like, they're eating lunch and there are ten entitled people angrily haranguing the management about why they can't get their salmon cut. At Wal-Mart, it was sort of always acknowledged internally among the workers that a Supercenter was better to work at than a Neighborhood Market, because you had a more focused set of duties and your direct supervisor was more likely to have your back if you refused to move to another department to cover when your own needed coverage.

I only briefly worked for the OP's workplace because it sold itself as a better environment, but it was actually worse in pretty much every way than the big corporate entities. The Amazon buyout may have made things better, but it sounds like the small grocery store problems still persist. The desire to pay the minimum possible wages while expecting the worker to do all sorts of tasks. My clearest memory of stocking groceries at that place was some absurd white lady demanding that I restock the fresh honey dispenser. There were dozens of prefilled honey containers sitting there, but she wanted to pull a little lever and fill up her own. The feeder honey containers were literally like five gallon fifty pound things that you had to flip over and drop onto a tap. Think like an office water cooler but six feet up in the air and full of goo rather than water. I had to climb a ladder and drop this giant honey container onto a hopper so this lady could pull a lever and pour her honey into a container, rather than just taking one of the existing containers. I'm a tall, fit enough guy, but I will always remember taking that deep breath as I shouldered that honey barrel to performatively install that loving honey onto a tap for some idiot white lady.

Wal-Mart would have never asked me to do something so stupid.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Sounds like y'all need to organize. Or just accept the shittiness I suppose.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

litany of gulps posted:

clearest memory of stocking groceries at that place was some absurd white lady demanding that I restock the fresh honey dispenser. There were dozens of prefilled honey containers sitting there, but she wanted to pull a little lever and fill up her own. The feeder honey containers were literally like five gallon fifty pound things that you had to flip over and drop onto a tap. Think like an office water cooler but six feet up in the air and full of goo rather than water. I had to climb a ladder and drop this giant honey container onto a hopper so this lady could pull a lever and pour her honey into a container, rather than just taking one of the existing containers. I'm a tall, fit enough guy, but I will always remember taking that deep breath as I shouldered that honey barrel to performatively install that loving honey onto a tap for some idiot white lady.

Man. I would have just said we were out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

litany of gulps posted:

I read this thread, but I don't think I've ever posted here. I worked for several years at Wal-Mart, and for a much shorter time at the OP's workplace. This was during the Great Recession. At a "Big Box" retail store, random managers will always try to pull people from one area to another to cover other areas, because the company is always trying to schedule just enough coverage to get by, and they recognize that even if there isn't enough coverage, they can pressure people into working harder. Also, it doesn't actually matter that much for the bottom line. If some things are out of stock, customers will buy something else. It's not like they're going to go to another store. Very few customers will shop at multiple stores to minimize their grocery bill. Hence the loss leader, sell your milk or whatever for a bit less to get them in the door, because they'll buy everything else regardless of the price.

But at a big enough store, like a Wal-Mart Supercenter, there's kind of always someone in a department. There's also dedicated receivers, unloaders, etc. A pallet doesn't get left on the dock in a big store. But in a smaller store, you get this situation where individuals are expected to both cover their entire department and area, plus anything else nearby. So there's one person in the entire dairy and frozen department, or there's a single individual scheduled to cover meat. Then like, they're eating lunch and there are ten entitled people angrily haranguing the management about why they can't get their salmon cut. At Wal-Mart, it was sort of always acknowledged internally among the workers that a Supercenter was better to work at than a Neighborhood Market, because you had a more focused set of duties and your direct supervisor was more likely to have your back if you refused to move to another department to cover when your own needed coverage.

I only briefly worked for the OP's workplace because it sold itself as a better environment, but it was actually worse in pretty much every way than the big corporate entities. The Amazon buyout may have made things better, but it sounds like the small grocery store problems still persist. The desire to pay the minimum possible wages while expecting the worker to do all sorts of tasks. My clearest memory of stocking groceries at that place was some absurd white lady demanding that I restock the fresh honey dispenser. There were dozens of prefilled honey containers sitting there, but she wanted to pull a little lever and fill up her own. The feeder honey containers were literally like five gallon fifty pound things that you had to flip over and drop onto a tap. Think like an office water cooler but six feet up in the air and full of goo rather than water. I had to climb a ladder and drop this giant honey container onto a hopper so this lady could pull a lever and pour her honey into a container, rather than just taking one of the existing containers. I'm a tall, fit enough guy, but I will always remember taking that deep breath as I shouldered that honey barrel to performatively install that loving honey onto a tap for some idiot white lady.

The honey machine is broken

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
One day while I was still working at a casino our entire internal network went down. Unlike a normal restaurant, we were not allowed to sell food without it being rung in at time of sale, all money had to be tracked at all times. But we didn't just close because although the system was going to be down for awhile, they didn't know how long and they wanted one outlet open as soon as everything worked again.

I sent the hostess home and spent two of the best hours of my life pretending to be apologetic as I told people "No." They couldn't have food, I couldn't make an exception, no. They were welcome to talk to Guest Safety. I've never gotten to tell so many horrible people no in my entire career and it still gives me the warm fuzzies.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It loses its charm after a few dozen restaurant openings telling 1000's of people no they can not order any food from the active construction site

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

evilpicard posted:

It loses its charm after a few dozen restaurant openings telling 1000's of people no they can not order any food from the active construction site

I want to believe you're joking, but I've dealt with customers before.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

"No, we're closed for refurbishment this week, as indicated by the sign outside saying "we open in three days", the hazard tape over the front door, the builders cutting wood on the bar, the amount of sawdust and paint all over everything, the fact that you've just had to walk past paint cans and power tools to ask me if we're open yet, etc, etc"

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

litany of gulps posted:

six feet up in the air and full of goo

The Andrew Dice Clay Story

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i just got a trial shift as a prep cook next week, i've never worked in a professional kitchen in my life, i'm a recipe developer, what the gently caress do i do

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i just got a trial shift as a prep cook next week, i've never worked in a professional kitchen in my life, i'm a recipe developer, what the gently caress do i do

If you were laid off from a meal kit delivery company recently as many are doing, try to get another job like it because being in an actual kitchen is hell.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

w4ddl3d33 posted:

Drugs, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

w4ddl3d33 posted:

If you have any specific questions I'm absolutely happy to attempt to answer them for you, I've bounced around and done everything from pubs to fine dining, artisanal pastry to production baking, to catering, to food styling to recipe development to kitchen build and systems consulting to now being in grocery.

In return I would like to know your career path, how in the poo poo did you get into recipe development without ever being in a commercial kitchen setting before? Post secondary in nutrition or something?