Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Please don't look away from the nozzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I shudder (in a non-pleasurable way) to think of what a truly brave future we have in store for ourselves re: sex toys.....

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

DandyLion posted:

I shudder (in a non-pleasurable way) to think of what a truly brave future we have in store for ourselves re: sex toys.....

Please don't call TSAbot-3000 a toy, sir, it can hear you and has feelings. Now as I said, lean over this desk and cough...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Xenoborg posted:

Please don't look away from the nozzle.

It's only calibrating.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

cosplay elephant

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

People who give robots prehensile dicks before figuring out how to give me one have their priorities all wrong.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
NSFW

https://i.imgur.com/AFQlzX5.mp4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Preoptopus posted:

Discount is very specific in how they do things. They have it to a science which is why they are the monster they have become. They are all about efficiency so im sure everyone has a specific task and they have 4 guys to a car. I busted tires at a sears auto center and that was run on with a very loose 80s mentality. (Which is why they arnt around anymore) We had way more fun than thoes guys can dream about.

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve heard Discount Tire is a relatively good place to work, at least for that kind of job, and maybe doesn’t poo poo on their people as much as a lot of other places, C/D?

It's the only tire shop I've used in the past 10 years or so, and they've been very consistent. I imagine management is really rigorous about appearances, but everyone I've seen working there seems pretty content. For a while I wrote them off as the Jiffy Lube of tire places, and I guess they kind of are, but the one time they messed up (cross-threaded a nut), they paid for it to be fixed 8 months later when I found the problem. Fast, efficient, etc. I'd like to think that kind of operation and customer service follows with well-treated employees, but don't know for sure.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

but the one time they messed up (cross-threaded a nut), they paid for it to be fixed 8 months later when I found the problem.

"There's no way a jury would believe it wasn't us who hosed it up, pay that guy out, no questions asked"

-The place I want work done

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

It's the only tire shop I've used in the past 10 years or so, and they've been very consistent. I imagine management is really rigorous about appearances, but everyone I've seen working there seems pretty content. For a while I wrote them off as the Jiffy Lube of tire places, and I guess they kind of are, but the one time they messed up (cross-threaded a nut), they paid for it to be fixed 8 months later when I found the problem. Fast, efficient, etc. I'd like to think that kind of operation and customer service follows with well-treated employees, but don't know for sure.

They pride themselves in their hire from within corporate structure and everyone starts as a tire tech. Jump through their hoops for a while and they make u store manager making drat near six figures. District mangers and the higher ups in corporate make a poo poo ton of money. Discount tire just bought tire rack to give you a sense of scale. It's one of the few companies that still exist I can think of where if u put in your time and kiss the right amount of rear end you can go from starting wage to very decent living wage within 10 years or less.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

ionizing radiation striking a ccd does not produce white cells, it's multicolored

citation: me

Depends, on most CMOS sensors it can be one or the other:

https://twitter.com/GrantWTrent/status/1583984073113903107?s=20&t=g0E9_CsSYzQIads-aUQDsg

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

:roboluv:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Preoptopus posted:

This. Especially busting tires is super tedious. Gotta do something to pass time.
I've heard that busting makes you feel good though

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I used to use Discount Tire until they somehow hosed up my alignment and the manager basically shrugged about it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

If I pull up to an independent tire shop and there isn't half the owner's family napping on couches, a faint smell of Mexican-Vietnamese fusion cooking permeating the place, two dogs fuckin' out back, and a beat to hell pickup full of old tires out front, I take my business elsewhere.

It's hard to find anyone you can trust nowadays, so it's always appreciated when people keep up appearances.

Bonus points if no one speaks Chinese but we still use Chinese Pidgin English to negotiate a price (which is always in multiples of $20).

A slightly bizarre, albeit pleasant, bit of business. $160 for mounting, balance, and alignment on all four. The eggrolls were great, too.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/Pj7NrhH.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MrQwerty posted:

there's a movie about ropes, it's called Touching the Void

I read that a long time ago, pretty hosed up adventure

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

whose coupler scheme is this?

Nm, I found out it's a German coupling scheme called Digital Automatic Coupling that they're trying to get up EU enthusiasm about so the continent can standardize around it.
https://www.dellner.com/products/freight-couplers/digital-automatic-coupler-dac

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Your parents after you go to bed, kiddo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

If I pull up to an independent tire shop and there isn't half the owner's family napping on couches, a faint smell of Mexican-Vietnamese fusion cooking permeating the place, two dogs fuckin' out back, and a beat to hell pickup full of old tires out front, I take my business elsewhere.

It's hard to find anyone you can trust nowadays, so it's always appreciated when people keep up appearances.

Bonus points if no one speaks Chinese but we still use Chinese Pidgin English to negotiate a price (which is always in multiples of $20).

A slightly bizarre, albeit pleasant, bit of business. $160 for mounting, balance, and alignment on all four. The eggrolls were great, too.

Thompson told us that the American Dream was dead, yet this post exemplifies the spirit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

madeintaipei posted:

I took an extra tire I had laying around to a tiny local place, asked if they would take it, expecting to be told it'd cost me $20 to get them to discard it properly. The guy came out, looked it over, asked if it was punctured, and then offered me $20 for it so he could resell it. Um, yes!

Tehyce fixed punctures for about $20 and took like $10 to free the nuts after the dealer super over tightened them and I was too weak to do it myself.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Nm, I found out it's a German coupling scheme called Digital Automatic Coupling that they're trying to get up EU enthusiasm about so the continent can standardize around it.
https://www.dellner.com/products/freight-couplers/digital-automatic-coupler-dac

Dellner seem to be Swedish - but that looks like a modification of the (German) Scharfenberg coupler?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I busted semi tires for a while. Honestly, aside from the weight, way easier to change than a car tire (this was before super singles were common).

I miss the weird little community you get working at a truck stop sometimes. Good people. poo poo pay. Everyone is a comedian by the end of their first week or they don't last a month. Maybe it's changed in 20 years, but I doubt it. Not a job I'd go back to without winning the lottery though. Truck stops are some of the purest people watching locations in all the world.

Once saw a pretty famous band come into one of the truck stops I worked in, absolutely hosed up the store, left a stack of cash on the counter on the way out the door. No one called cops, everyone that cleaned it up went home with a $100 bill in their pocket. Pretty good for two hours work in 2001.

How accurate is Maximum Overdrive about truck stop life? Related, how do you think your former coworkers would do if all the machines came to life and started murdering?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Gritty20202/status/1584652452154204162

I was struggling which thread was most appropriate for this, but OSHA gets it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cat Hatter posted:

How accurate is Maximum Overdrive about truck stop life? Related, how do you think your former coworkers would do if all the machines came to life and started murdering?

That poo poo was shot in the 80s and didn't carry over well to the early 00s.

I think the machines would kill most of them, those that are still alive, which probably isn't many. Lots of smokers in that truck stop. You could even smoke in the store and the diner at the time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well, what else are you supposed to do with em? They're not big enough to go in the ocean

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, what else are you supposed to do with em? They're not big enough to go in the ocean

Take them to your local fishing pond.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Cat Hatter posted:

I have a hippy nomadic friend who's been traveling around wookin it for like 7 years and he landed at a truck stop where he gets treated suoer well and loves it. If a truck stop can be a good home to a anti establishment hippy dude then I reckon they are doing a few things right

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Bury them in your yard next to your motor oil and mercury holes.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
https://twitter.com/NanoRaptor/status/1464834729400700929?s=20&t=lvsYy_d_iNd9cn3AjdpEvg

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I love things like the bulging battery pillows, but I feel like radiation warnings like that should be treated with the respect granted to safewords. Radioactive sources don't look like common people would expect, so they need to know if they ever see that in person it really means HOLY poo poo LITERALLY DROP THIS RIGHT NOW

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

it really means HOLY poo poo LITERALLY DROP THIS RIGHT NOW

It makes it a lot easier to recover the source if your corpse is down the hallway instead of lying on top of it.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sentient Data posted:

I love things like the bulging battery pillows, but I feel like radiation warnings like that should be treated with the respect granted to safewords. Radioactive sources don't look like common people would expect, so they need to know if they ever see that in person it really means HOLY poo poo LITERALLY DROP THIS RIGHT NOW

Yeah I agree, the gag isn't worth cheapening the impact of the signage and labelling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Obviously we can solve this by making the pillow intensely radioactive

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Obviously we can solve this by making the pillow intensely radioactive

okay i'll sleep on it for a week

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013
Contrary to what would make sense to you or me, I'd think it would possibly be more valuable for many people to be able to recognize the object and understand why it says "DROP AND RUN" and that they need to call 911 in that situation. (And maybe instinctively drop that poo poo and run!)

I could imagine a lot of people, not knowing anything about radiation, encountering a loose source (at first glance a weird metal cylinder), see the trefoil symbol, read the thing, and still catch a really bad dose in the time it takes for them to decide to follow the instructions (assuming they do.)

That stupid pillow might just save lives by raising popular awareness, somehow?

That being said, if someone thought up keychains or something that looked like an actual source at the same scale as the real thing would be more of a "nobody should make this no matter how high they are" situation in my mind. A pillow? Not so much.

Effective-Disorder fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 25, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

It's fake. If it were real the whole sensor would be noisy, not just localized around the object.

The noise would also be colorful. Particles with these energies don’t give a poo poo about your color filters.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Remarkable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whip 'em at rival sports teams.