Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rifle rats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Alright, I am sick unto death of my pixel 6's stupid camera and its stupid limitations and AI processing bullshit.

Are there any recommendations for a decent digital camera that isn't crazy expensive?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Alright, I am sick unto death of my pixel 6's stupid camera and its stupid limitations and AI processing bullshit.

Are there any recommendations for a decent digital camera that isn't crazy expensive?

I'd like to see the responses to this question as well, but I can tell you that after blaming my mediocre camera for ages, I realized most of my problem was just expecting too much out of my camera at lovely light levels. I made a soft light sleeve for my desk lamp and that's pretty much solved my desk photos, which themselves pale in comparison to what I get if I just take the model outside at the right time of day in natural sunlight.

None of which is useful advice when you're looking to take shots mid-game, which is what I'd like to do more of without being the dick that's like trying to stop the game and stage poo poo.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I got a decent (if a bit janky) home setup for lights. My old pixel 4 took pretty good photos with it.

The pixel 6 camera has a myriad of problems, but the biggest is that it has terrible edge focus. Anything not in the very center of the picture becomes out of focus, so you have pull back more and then use the digital zoom. This is bad for 10mm miniatures, and really bad for Warmaster's long strips of miniatures, and is extremely bad for dioramas.

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 22, 2022

Calhanol
Apr 27, 2010
Since I plan to start using Army painter paints soon. Would the normal warpaints starter or the air range be more useful. Since i already have a cheap airbrush. The primer that comes in the air set feels like a better deal and I can buy some cheap oil washes or army painter washes on their own.

Also how are army painters air range when using them as normal brush paints?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This is going to be me when my kill team box arrives:-

https://twitter.com/bonesdrawstuff/status/1583815699218452485?s=46&t=uj3okB4zf-Tz4rYh4QSkXQ

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I bought a used DSLR for like ~$125 and it works amazing.
Serious camera guys are crazy gearheads and they're always upgrading to the latest and greatest equipment, so there's a very robust secondary market.
Even a 10 year old DSLR with a decent lens will perform leaps and bounds better than the latest phone cameras.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there are photo threads that could help you find something affordable and excellent for miniatures but something like this Cannon Rebel, which is <$90 without the lens will give you great pictures despite only having a 10mp sensor.
Combine it with a compatible general purpose lens which can be as cheap as $50 and you've got a great setup for taking miniatures pictures and photos of other stuff when you need more than a camera phone.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone make a tiny little drone (smaller than your palm) that takes photos and videos that would make warhammer scale feel live size?

I'd love to setup my terrain + models and fly that through them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

Does anyone make a tiny little drone (smaller than your palm) that takes photos and videos that would make warhammer scale feel live size?

I'd love to setup my terrain + models and fly that through them.

There's a tank museum in Switzerland that might be willing to temporarily replace their terrain with yours for the tank simulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcQifPHcMLE

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I enjoy that the Swiss military has what appears to be reasonable restrictions/lack-thereof on hair length.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I got a decent (if a bit janky) home setup for lights. My old pixel 4 took pretty good photos with it.

The pixel 6 camera has a myriad of problems, but the biggest is that it has terrible edge focus. Anything not in the very center of the picture becomes out of focus, so you have pull back more and then use the digital zoom. This is bad for 10mm miniatures, and really bad for Warmaster's long strips of miniatures, and is extremely bad for dioramas.

Chiming in to say I've also been struggling mightily with focus issues on my pixel 6. It's so frustrating that a phone that was advertised so heavily on its camera capabilities doesn't have any way of manually controlling the camera. It 100% relies on AI image processing which just doesn't work for miniature photos.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-LOws7suU

Full review of Vallejo Xpress Color including the new drop bottle design. This is a review by a guy who was hired by Vallejo to work on the new line so keep that in mind, but you do get to see the 23 colour range (plus medium) that they have planned for release. And as stated right from the get-go: they don't reactivate.

other notes:

- long drying time which can be great for people who want to wet blend, maybe annoying for others who want to get on with it.
- paints dry matte, not satin like contrast
- easy to mix with water for glazing without breaking the paint apart or having to use the special medium
- all paints behave pretty much the same, unlike some contrast paints
- price is set (in Spain) at 3.50 euro, compared to contrast at 6.30 euro and speedpaints at 3.99 euro.
- range is limited, with some clear gaps in terms of missing colours.
- still have to see how they perform once more people have access to them in case there's some flaws not covered here

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 23, 2022

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Bucnasti posted:

I bought a used DSLR for like ~$125 and it works amazing.
Serious camera guys are crazy gearheads and they're always upgrading to the latest and greatest equipment, so there's a very robust secondary market.
Even a 10 year old DSLR with a decent lens will perform leaps and bounds better than the latest phone cameras.

I'm no expert, and I'm sure there are photo threads that could help you find something affordable and excellent for miniatures but something like this Cannon Rebel, which is <$90 without the lens will give you great pictures despite only having a 10mp sensor.
Combine it with a compatible general purpose lens which can be as cheap as $50 and you've got a great setup for taking miniatures pictures and photos of other stuff when you need more than a camera phone.

Thanks for the advice!

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-rebel-t2i-18-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-zoom-lens-116304.html

I'm thinking of getting these two, both at Bargain level. This is just shy of $220 shipped.

I picked an 18MP camera over your suggested 10MP because I have managed to get some of my miniatures in a printed magazine. But maybe 10MP would be fine?
I also picked a lens that says "macro" but i dunno if that actually matters

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Thanks for the advice!

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-eos-rebel-t2i-18-megapixel-digital-slr-camera-body-only.html
https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-zoom-lens-116304.html

I'm thinking of getting these two, both at Bargain level. This is just shy of $220 shipped.

I picked an 18MP camera over your suggested 10MP because I have managed to get some of my miniatures in a printed magazine. But maybe 10MP would be fine?
I also picked a lens that says "macro" but i dunno if that actually matters

Provided you're not cropping, 10MP would let you print 8.5" x 13" at 300 dpi, and 18MP would let you go over 11" x 17". Unless you're doing very large prints, either would be good for magazines. Generally, glass and sensor size will make or break a photo more than the megapixel count.

The 18-55 is a solid kit lens that will be a huge improvement over any phone camera. It's what I use for my photos.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

- long drying time which can be great for people who want to wet blend, maybe annoying for others who want to get on with it.

This should be good for that subtractive technique where you drown a mini in a thick wash of contrast and then use plenty of medium to thin it out so it works like doing an oil wash and removing the excess.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Loden Taylor posted:

Provided you're not cropping, 10MP would let you print 8.5" x 13" at 300 dpi, and 18MP would let you go over 11" x 17". Unless you're doing very large prints, either would be good for magazines. Generally, glass and sensor size will make or break a photo more than the megapixel count.

The 18-55 is a solid kit lens that will be a huge improvement over any phone camera. It's what I use for my photos.

alright, you've convinced me on the 10MP. $125 is not bad at all for what is hopefully a much better photography experience. Thank you!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dreylad posted:

Full review of Vallejo Xpress Color including the new drop bottle design. This is a review by a guy who was hired by Vallejo to work on the new line so keep that in mind, but you do get to see the 23 colour range (plus medium) that they have planned for release. And as stated right from the get-go: they don't reactivate.

other notes:

- easy to mix with water for glazing without breaking the paint apart or having to use the special medium
- price is set (in Spain) at 3.50 euro, compared to contrast at 6.30 euro and speedpaints at 3.99 euro.
- still have to see how they perform once more people have access to them in case there's some flaws not covered here

Wasteland brown looks like the orange/brown I spent ages trying to mix for my memory of the classic tau sept colour scheme, that's a day 1 buy for me.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I got this model I'm painting for marvel crisis protocol and I'm really happy with it so far but I'm trying to figure out some of the finishing touches.

I tried to shade it with some soulblight grey because I thought nuln oil would make it look too dirty but it ended up not shading super well. Would dry brushing on some leadbelcher be a better way to make it look a little less flat?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dreylad posted:

other notes:

I might pick up a few specific colors depending on what's there, I think the 23 colors of speedpaint is "okay" but it's the same in that there needs to be like maybe 35 paints instead.

AP wants to make 90 Speedpaints 2.0 but I almost think that's too much.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

100% use the nuln oil, you can just paint back over any flat surfaces that look stained

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I just picked up some Pro Acryl paint and didn’t realize the matte vs satin finish difference between them and Citadel paints. If I hit everything with a top coat spray like Purity Seal or something like it at the end, will the matte and satin paints on the same model look the same after?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't think of any other colors, specifically from the SpeedPaint range, to apply here, unless someone else has any other suggestions.

While painting this, I realize I don't really have colors like, fleshy bright pink, whiter bone color (maybe I should have mixed pallid bone with holy white?), or anything that looks more "steel" than "stone"

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 24, 2022

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

Aranan posted:

Chiming in to say I've also been struggling mightily with focus issues on my pixel 6. It's so frustrating that a phone that was advertised so heavily on its camera capabilities doesn't have any way of manually controlling the camera. It 100% relies on AI image processing which just doesn't work for miniature photos.

Everyone struggling with the AI stuff with their pixels should go and download Open Camera, which gives you a lot more control over the camera settings and doesn't use the AI of Google's camera app. Don't know if it's got a free test version, but it is very cheap and I've had it installed on my phones for years

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Muir posted:

I just picked up some Pro Acryl paint and didn’t realize the matte vs satin finish difference between them and Citadel paints. If I hit everything with a top coat spray like Purity Seal or something like it at the end, will the matte and satin paints on the same model look the same after?

You'll unify the finishes, yeah

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Miles O'Brian posted:

You'll unify the finishes, yeah

Awesome, thanks. On that note, what rattle can top coat do people like? I have some older Purity Seal around but like most Citadel stuff it’s gotten stupidly expensive.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I went a bit more tryhard than I normally do on this model, and I went through the effort of taking photos with my Pixel 4XL and my Canon T7i to show how it looks, and well, I guess just give me your opinion. (if imgur doesn't compress the gently caress out of the images) C&C always welcome.

(I'm realizing that the Canon I probably needed to focus stack the image after the fact...)

Pixel:

Canon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The miniature looks great. I think the Pixel is focusing past the mini on the tissue paper, so it's all slightly blurry. The Canon shot is sharper at its sharpest, but the entire mini doesn't fit in the depth of field. You can fix it by focus stacking, but simply moving further away might fix it: https://shotkit.com/depth-of-field/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I just had to manually change the focus

Idk why the Canon is less yellow than the pixel

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
White balance. The Pro mode on my Galaxy S20 can adjust it dunno why the Pixel can't.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If anyone is in the market for a new phone, my Motrolla Edge 20 Pro has a loving amazing camera, which lets you gently caress with settings like ISO, exposure time, manual focus etc if you want. Also has a built in macro mode. Real good for taking photos of minis. And it's way cheaper than newer Iphones, Samsung Galaxies, etc.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Muir posted:

Awesome, thanks. On that note, what rattle can top coat do people like? I have some older Purity Seal around but like most Citadel stuff it’s gotten stupidly expensive.

Obviously it depends on what you can get where you're located, but here in the US I mainly use some Krylon artist-brand matte (usually found at an arts & crafts store like Michael's) in terms of rattlecan matte varnish. Though since I've gotten an airbrush, I just mainly use that. Or if I'm being particularly lazy (in terms of not wanting to go outside with the rattlecan or break down and clean the airbrush) I'll just brush on some matte and call it a day. :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone use GSW's "Papyrus Dip"? I'm not terribly pleased with Pallid Bone and don't want to buy Citadel Skeleton Horde for when I do my skeletons, even though the color looks right.

Edit I am so excited

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 24, 2022

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Edit I am so excited

Congrats. Did they come with the chocolates too?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

Congrats. Did they come with the chocolates too?

The....chocolates? there was a sticker in the box. I guess I'm missing something.

Anyone know of any brush rack that you can hang the brushes upside down, and doesn't take a lot of space?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The....chocolates? there was a sticker in the box. I guess I'm missing something.

Anyone know of any brush rack that you can hang the brushes upside down, and doesn't take a lot of space?

I store brushes in a pencil case meant for kindergarteners

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I store brushes in a pencil case meant for kindergarteners

I mean, I use a mason jar but I was wanting to store them so the water can drip out instead of hanging out in the ferrule. Wet beard shaving brushes are suggested to hang the same way too.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/masterson-sta-new-brush-holder/

I guess there's this

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I just keep mine in a cup. If you wash the brush and get it reasonably dry I don't see the harm in storing them tip upwards. I even leave a bit of the brush soap on the brush so it keeps the point.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My winsor and newton series 7 brushes are finally starting to show their age after a few years. I understand that their quality has tanked pretty hard recently. What are some good replacements now?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Pencil case is the way to go. Mine's my son's old LEGO pencil case from elementary.

Floppychop posted:

My winsor and newton series 7 brushes are finally starting to show their age after a few years. I understand that their quality has tanked pretty hard recently. What are some good replacements now?

I've been through a ton of cheap brushes looking for anything that costs less than a Raphael 8404 that I like nearly as much and I have exhausted the ends of the internet. There's more expensive brushes I like more, but everything cheaper than them I barely tolerate to outright loathe.

So Raphael 8404s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did a salamander and skink for this month's opr contest.