Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Should I be excited about the Rangers hiring Bochy? Managers don’t actually matter that much, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My wife ran into Joe Musgrove walking his dog in Ocean Beach (hippie beach town part of San Diego) this morning. She said he told her sorry they didn’t make it farther and was super nice.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Should I be excited about the Rangers hiring Bochy? Managers don’t actually matter that much, right?

Stats people say the difference between a good and bad manager is like 1 win tops, or something like that. Which may be true, but for me misses the point: a team with a bad manager is like 20x less enjoyable to watch

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’d believe that for the regular season, but it’s gotta be a bigger swing in the post season.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Maybe their tactical decisions affect a 1-game swing, but culturally it has to have a larger impact. Everyone's worked a place where the management culture was dog poo poo. You can't tell me that the person responsible for maintaining cohesion and keeping people focused over what's basically a crunch schedule for 6-8 months has a minimal impact on performance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Well Played Mauer posted:

Maybe their tactical decisions affect a 1-game swing, but culturally it has to have a larger impact. Everyone's worked a place where the management culture was dog poo poo. You can't tell me that the person responsible for maintaining cohesion and keeping people focused over what's basically a crunch schedule for 6-8 months has a minimal impact on performance.

Yeah clubhouse culture matters and absolutely has an impact on performance that can't be easily quantified. Sorry but if the Phils stick with Girardi I don't think they even sniff the postseason.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Sydin posted:

Yeah clubhouse culture matters and absolutely has an impact on performance that can't be easily quantified. Sorry but if the Phils stick with Girardi I don't think they even sniff the postseason.

Ya no doubt. How much of an impact, who knows but there is definitely one. And ya there is no chance Phillies make it to the playoffs let alone the WS with Girardi in charge.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

tylertfb posted:

My wife ran into Joe Musgrove walking his dog in Ocean Beach (hippie beach town part of San Diego) this morning. She said he told her sorry they didn’t make it farther and was super nice.

How shiny were Musgrove's ears? Asking for a New York friend

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

Yeah if you didn't believe this before 2022 I direct you to the White Sox

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Well Played Mauer posted:

If only we had a recent example of 2 managers overseeing the same team in a single season for refere-

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The impact of a manager is hard to quantify via stats, but I have a hard time believing it doesn't exist.

Have none of you had a lovely boss before? That sort of thing definitely affects workers.

Anyway Boch rules and this is a great pickup by the Rangers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Player morale and bullpen usage are definitely the two most visible impacts a manager can have, though I also buy the stat that gets repeated about managers only having a 2-4 game impact in the regular season. Obviously they’re a bigger force one way or another in the postseason because of the two reasons I first mentioned.

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
This is almost as bad as the Yankees being eliminated, Lindseys work was always great https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1584623943222448128

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Troxartas posted:

This is almost as bad as the Yankees being eliminated, Lindseys work was always great https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1584623943222448128

Given Lindsey's posting bonafides I'm guessing this is like Arif and a number of others choosing to GTFO of NYT's extremely restrictive social media & social issues policies. At least, hoping it was her choice. But then, cutting back on NYT/Athletic coverage overlap would make sense to shortsighted morons and Lindsey's the easier to drop if that's the goal.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Player morale and bullpen usage are definitely the two most visible impacts a manager can have, though I also buy the stat that gets repeated about managers only having a 2-4 game impact in the regular season. Obviously they’re a bigger force one way or another in the postseason because of the two reasons I first mentioned.

Managers likely have a profound effect on pitching in terms of usage/preference.

Like, someone would have to do the data collection, but I bet different managers have different approaches that have a cumulative effect. Say Bob Melvin warms Hader in preparation for the 9th every game, as a habit, but uses him 1/4th the time, thinking warming Hader has no cost. Say Melvin gets fired and his replacement uses Hader the same amount but doesn't warm him unless it's a sure need. You could probably compare Hader's performance between managers to see if there's an effect for that. Ditto for trying to use Hader for 4, 5, or 6 outs on a regular basis instead of 3, or to see if different managers' reliance on right/righty and lefty/lefty matchups have a significant effect.

Rob Thomson plays a non-traditional lineup prioritizing those guys who walk/see a lot of pitches over the stereotypical leadoff hitter. Does it work? He's headed to the World Series, so ... yes? But Schwarber, his leadoff guy, also has a bunch of solo home runs. Thomson has stuck with that lineup all year, so there's no way to tell if Segura would have performed better as leadoff, for example - Segura didn't have a decent sample size for comparison.

There has to be significant effects from manager's actions, but no one's collecting the type of data to understand it (or trying to 'manufacture' data would be difficult), as far as I know. BBREF has the usual stuff which is likely only there because it's compiled for players (substitutions, IBBs, stealing, etc.) - and that has to be flawed, because every single steal isn't always the manager's call.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Troxartas posted:

This sucks more than the Yankees being eliminated, imo. Yankees getting destroyed felt inevitable for most of the season, but I only started suspecting Lindsey was leaving The Athletic after Chris Kirschner started covering the Yankees midseason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paracaidas posted:

Given Lindsey's posting bonafides I'm guessing this is like Arif and a number of others choosing to GTFO of NYT's extremely restrictive social media & social issues policies. At least, hoping it was her choice. But then, cutting back on NYT/Athletic coverage overlap would make sense to shortsighted morons and Lindsey's the easier to drop if that's the goal.

It's actually infuriating realizing that stuff like the bombshell reporting on Callaway that finally exposed his serial abuse and got him run out of the league is now heavily discouraged if not outright prohibited by NYT's management. The Athletic was such a breath of fresh air in sports journalism and now it's been absolutely ruined by chaining it to a loving rag primarily interested in :decorum:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
lol Kay ripped into his own team today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paracaidas posted:

Are they actually under those same social media guidelines? I've seen conflicting things about this.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to really like Aaron Boone.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
David Ortiz missed a golden opportunity to hop on Facetime and hit Aaron Boone with a "DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA YANKEES LOSE"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Here are my thoughts on managers/Aaron Boone.

A manager is not unimportant. He does not necessarily decide games and he's not the root cause of all mistakes and failures like fans like to act. But he's basically got three key jobs.

1) Implementing the strategies of the organization and utilizing the players provided as intended and to their best value.
2) Maintaining a motivated and cohesive lockerroom where not only do problems not fester but players are motivated to improve.
3) Managing the media and keeping them off everyone else's back.

Is Boone successful at these things? I dunno. A lot of that comes down to stuff we flat out don't know like what the organization wants or how the lockerroom is. Is Severino talking to the media upset that Holmes wasn't used failure of 2? Maybe. I guess that depends on how it was resolved. Is it a failure of 3 that Boone didn't operate as the buffer for Sev's understandable frustrations? Is it a failure of 1 where the organization did think Holmes was their closer when its clear Boone didn't use him that way in the postseason? I don't know the answers to these question.

It goes like that. Did the club want to use Peraza more and Boone just refused? Or was the idea to give Peraza some major league experience as a backup before pencilling him as the started next season? I don't know.

But there's stuff that people just put on managers to feed their blood lust. Is Boone responsible for the Yanks being swept or their terrible August? I don't think so. The best you can argue is that Boone tinkered too much with the lineup but like... it wasn't a case of not getting the most out of the productive guys. Yanks just weren't hitting. And as much as the critics want to act like you can't bring up injuries as an excuse August was because the entire lineup was injured. It just was. That is what it is. It happened. I'm not crying to the universe that its unfair. But pretending the entire lineup wasn't on the IL or that that wasn't a factor is just silly.

So should the Yankees fire Boone? I dunno. I'm indifferent. If they don't think he's doing his job or don't think he's the guy to fix the problems or want a clean start, fine. But barring a bunch of stories that were kept out of the media I fail to see how you can put the Yankee losses at his feet. That's not me loving Aaron Boone. That's me hating the reactionary irrational nature of fans and sports criticism and the basic fact that if you just scapegoat people instead of actually identifying and fixing problems then nothing gets helped. And if you do that enough like Steinbrenner did (and like so many Yankee fans want to see a return to) you just end up with a toxic, mess of an organization culture where everyone's just trying to watch their own back.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I love the “if George was alive!” Takes. George would be in his 90s and he was totally mentally out of it by 2009.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A manager trying to motivate his team down 3-0 by showing them footage of another infamous time they blew it and it wasn't the Chicago Cubs?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For whatever issues Boone has as a manager, I don't think they are huge deals. The bigger problem for me is that a team like this is just not going to perform well in the playoffs. You need more guys that get on base at a higher clip and aren't all TTO guys. That falls on Cashman.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

A manager trying to motivate his team down 3-0 by showing them footage of another infamous time they blew it and it wasn't the Chicago Cubs?

Again, this is the sort of silly nonsense I hate. No one on the Yankees in 2022 was on the Yankees in 2004. Players don't own that kind of poo poo the way fans do. Its just fan poo poo talking nonsense. Clearly Boone's not gonna get an inspirational movie made about his efforts to rally the troops but there's also no reason to think it secretly pissed them all off because a bunch of poo poo talking fans found it ironic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Again, this is the sort of silly nonsense I hate. No one on the Yankees in 2022 was on the Yankees in 2004. Players don't own that kind of poo poo the way fans do. Its just fan poo poo talking nonsense. Clearly Boone's not gonna get an inspirational movie made about his efforts to rally the troops but there's also no reason to think it secretly pissed them all off because a bunch of poo poo talking fans found it ironic.

I don't think it mattered either way it's just a funny thing to do from an outside perspective.

Edit: Also the whole idea with the Red Sox coming back was the idea they were the under dogs, a franchise who hadn't won in forever once again getting beaten up by the Yankees. The Yankees are never the underdog team that can say "why not us?" even when down 3-0.

Popete fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 24, 2022

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

For whatever issues Boone has as a manager, I don't think they are huge deals. The bigger problem for me is that a team like this is just not going to perform well in the playoffs. You need more guys that get on base at a higher clip and aren't all TTO guys. That falls on Cashman.

There was a concentrated effort to do that this season. Cashman's player acquisitions were clearly driven around improved defense and more movement on base. But even guys who were very much doing that kind of stuff during the regular season like Torres and Cabrera simply didn't hit or get on base in the playoffs. And I mean... that happens. Its tough rear end pitchers during a short series of games.

So like obviously you KEEP moving in that direction for 2023. Bader, Cabrera, LeMahieu, and Torres seem like an important part of that and Peraza hopefully can be as well. Maybe Benintendi and Rizzo as well or new additions. But I don't think this team is nearly as TTO as it has been or as people are saying. But if you're not hitting at all and striking out a ton it sure looks like that.

Popete posted:

I don't think it mattered either way it's just a funny thing to do from an outside perspective.

Edit: Also the whole idea with the Red Sox coming back was the idea they were the under dogs, a franchise who hadn't won in forever once again getting beaten up by the Yankees. The Yankees are never the underdog team that can say "why not us?" even when down 3-0.

That's the narrative. But Boone was clearly saying "we can win this, its been done before." Its not about how you or I view the Yankees. Its about convincing them to keep fighting.

Again, I'm not patting Boone on the back for his motivational powers. But like... what was he supposed to say? "gently caress it, we're the Yankees, everyone hates us, lets just crawl into the gutter and die so they can lol and make 9/11 jokes."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 24, 2022

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

davecrazy posted:

lol Kay ripped into his own team today.

What a loser rear end complaint

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Michael Kay is basically mcmagic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I assume Volpe comes up at some point into the season so that should help with some of the on-base issues.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
It's funny that the Yankees lost and I hope they do it more often

Red
Apr 15, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Michael Kay is mcmagic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I my favorite thing about Kay is he can not accept the idea that players on rival teams are friendly with each other. It pisses him off so much when a Yankee and a Red Soxk are laughing together.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Are they actually under those same social media guidelines? I've seen conflicting things about this.

I could have been more clear. After the purchase, NYT instituted a social media and social issues policy for Athletic writers that was essentially the polar opposite of what they signed up for. To my understanding it is not the same as the policy for staffers for the Times proper.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the Yanks had a league average K rate as a team this year, which was an improvement over years past.

I don’t necessarily think Cashman should be canned, but this organization does need a new set of eyes on it. It’s rather obvious that there’s some flaw in the team’s self-evaluation process because it doesn’t take a genius to realize that a high OBP, lefty-centered offense is going to score a ton of runs and make a pitcher’s life hell.

The righty heavy offenses of the Judge epoch have done well in the regular season because you’re not facing the best teams’ best pitchers every single night. They falter in the playoffs because there’s always a “lane” for one type of pitcher and pitch combination to eat innings and limit scoring.

The organization’s mandate for getting to the playoffs and letting things run their course isn’t bad on its face but the upper levels do need to do a better job of making sure the players have the advanced data in a digestible form and putting the right type of player on the roster. Too many mistakes have been made in trying to make up for the fact that prospects haven’t finished their development in the majors.

Fire Aaron Boone tho. Sick of that dumbass

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Michael Kay is basically mcmagic.

Actually he's you. He does nothing but defend the Yankees' every move. It's just blatantly obvious to everyone now that they need to blow it up.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Is Boone successful at these things? I dunno. A lot of that comes down to stuff we flat out don't know like what the organization wants or how the lockerroom is. Is Severino talking to the media upset that Holmes wasn't used failure of 2? Maybe. I guess that depends on how it was resolved. Is it a failure of 3 that Boone didn't operate as the buffer for Sev's understandable frustrations? Is it a failure of 1 where the organization did think Holmes was their closer when its clear Boone didn't use him that way in the postseason? I don't know the answers to these question.

One thing I do think gets glossed over regarding the Severino comments is that he's likely got a bone to pick with the FO due to being placed on the 60 day himself. If they're saying Holmes couldn't go and Holmes is implying he could, I can understand why Severino would have some thoughts on the matter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Actually he's you. He does nothing but defend the Yankees' every move. It's just blatantly obvious to everyone now that they need to blow it up.

A gross misrepresentation as usual from you. I don’t defend every move the Yankees make. I just react to the over the top hate and behavior of fans like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

A gross misrepresentation as usual from you. I don’t defend every move the Yankees make. I just react to the over the top hate and behavior of fans like you.

What if I was just right?