Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

AnEdgelord posted:

Though I will say the reason chemical weapons may seem less prominent is that the real gnarly poo poo comes in the form of biological agents and depleted uranium nowadays

Nah. Even then bio and chemical weapons are only really good against civilians, or when you can't find the enemy, which is why Agent Orange was designed to get rid of the forest rather than to kill the enemy directly. And the poison from depleted uranium is just a side effect. The real use of depleted uranium is it lets you shoot tanks even harder. Against actual enemy soldiers and tanks, the answer has always been to shoot more accurately with even more high explosives.

Or to put it another way, every serious military figured out a way to give an infantryman a suit that protects against bio and chemical warfare without totally crippling the soldier. None of them have managed to create a suit that stops 50 cal rounds to the face or an artillery round bursting 10 feet away. Against soldiers the answer has consistently been to aim better, or use more explosives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Watching OPB's Bavaria stream.. can you really build any kind of mine anywhere? Or do you actually need coal deposits in the province, before you can put mines there? Looks like he's just slamming them wherever he wants, which is, uh, not quite what I'd hope for.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

THE BAR posted:

Watching OPB's Bavaria stream.. can you really build any kind of mine anywhere? Or do you actually need coal deposits in the province, before you can put mines there? Looks like he's just slamming them wherever he wants, which is, uh, not quite what I'd hope for.

Resource potentials are a thing, yes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fray posted:

Resource potentials are a thing, yes.

So everyone can be anything, if they just force the issue enough. It's gonna be interesting to see tomorrow how it feels to play.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Also it's Germany so it's not like there's a shortage of coal.

Although I just did a 10 minute google search and it seems that Bavaria is only rich in coal in the Southern mountain region, but there was significant investment in the time period of V3.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

THE BAR posted:

So everyone can be anything, if they just force the issue enough. It's gonna be interesting to see tomorrow how it feels to play.

I mean that states have resource potentials (which is an in-game term) dictating what natural resources can be exploited there.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Also it's Germany so it's not like there's a shortage of coal.

Although I just did a 10 minute google search and it seems that Bavaria is only rich in coal in the Southern mountain region, but there was significant investment in the time period of V3.

Fray posted:

I mean that states have resource potentials (which is an in-game term) dictating what natural resources can be exploited there.

Aah, thanks, that clarifies it. :tipshat:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

golden bubble posted:

Nah. Even then bio and chemical weapons are only really good against civilians, or when you can't find the enemy, which is why Agent Orange was designed to get rid of the forest rather than to kill the enemy directly. And the poison from depleted uranium is just a side effect. The real use of depleted uranium is it lets you shoot tanks even harder. Against actual enemy soldiers and tanks, the answer has always been to shoot more accurately with even more high explosives.

Or to put it another way, every serious military figured out a way to give an infantryman a suit that protects against bio and chemical warfare without totally crippling the soldier. None of them have managed to create a suit that stops 50 cal rounds to the face or an artillery round bursting 10 feet away. Against soldiers the answer has consistently been to aim better, or use more explosives.

Thats all true to a certain extent but a significant amount of post-1945 wars were not fought between conventional armies but were instead fought against irregular insurgents where not being able to find the enemy is the norm rather than the exception.

This discussion makes me very curious about how WW1 will play out in game though, none of the previews have gotten that far into the game yet and I'm curious how it will try to replicate the largely static front of the western front as well as the deployment of some of the more exotic weapons (like the aforementioned chemical weapons)

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

This discussion makes me very curious about how WW1 will play out in game though, none of the previews have gotten that far into the game yet and I'm curious how it will try to replicate the largely static front of the western front as well as the deployment of some of the more exotic weapons (like the aforementioned chemical weapons)

During his stream OPB talked about the arc of war being that battles go pretty quick when you have skirmish infantry then becomes a miserable slog when you unlock trench warfare, then speeds up again when you get endgame techs like chemical weapons. Like he said at one point that during a war with France he was just going "Maybe Alsace-Lorraine isn't actually worth it"

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 25, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I hope the AI can finally understand a limited war. You don't need to deploy a hundred thousand men from across the empire to fight a minor revolt in Newfoundland

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

In Bret Devereaux’s excellent post, he mentions how that’s modeled by military techs causing defense values to outstrip offense values in the late game (before offense makes a comeback) while also upping lethality.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

DaysBefore posted:

I hope the AI can finally understand a limited war. You don't need to deploy a hundred thousand men from across the empire to fight a minor revolt in Newfoundland

notes on Reddit suggest they’re still fully mobilizing for things like this lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Look maybe your the kind of guy whose fine with being the guy who lost Newfoundland,

But NOT ME

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

CharlestheHammer posted:

Look maybe your the kind of guy whose fine with being the guy who lost Newfoundland,

But NOT ME
Lmao

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Someone said something about Europe not fighting each other 1870 to 1900 and uh, there was at least one major war between Russia and the Ottomans in the 1880's, and many of the European adventures in Africa almost led to Europe fighting, like when Germany was sending gunboats to Morocco? The rising thread of Germany is what made Britain and France start to resolve their disputes in Africa and elsewhere to form the Entente, otherwise there was just as much of a chance of a big European war to break out over some drat fool thing in Africa as in Europe.

The relative stability of the late 19th century had more to do with either the vestige inertia of the Concert of Europe or Bismark's diplomacy keeping things that way then the military technology which was constantly under debate in the major powers and I don't think any nation felt defencive technologies were too advanced for risking a war.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

DaysBefore posted:

I was wondering the same. Like will britain try to fight wars in india using local indian population troops, or will the entire empire muster to fight sindh 20k army.

And on this note, what would it take for Britain to be able to muster troops from the indian native population (and not just anglos/british nationals in india)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I was wondering the same. Like will britain try to fight wars in india using local indian population troops, or will the entire empire muster to fight sindh 20k army.

And on this note, what would it take for Britain to be able to muster troops from the indian native population (and not just anglos/british nationals in india)

Mechanically, wouldn’t that just mean building barracks/conscription centers in India? Possibly also tweaking a law or two.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

There appear to be some laws that govern how different cultures are represented, and I think most of the British colonial holdings are subjects and not directly controlled by England. They might be able to put down that sort of thing on their own, maybe with the help of Her Majesty's local garrison if such is required.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Wiz posted:

It's a little more nuanced than 'China always loves opium'. This dev diary covers our opium wars content: https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/games/victoria-3/news/dev-diary-40-opium-wars

my Qing Bureaucrats can have a little opium, as a treat

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
The Currency Designer DLC will be sweet. Picking between dead heads of state, colors, patterns, material, level 3 vs level 4 anti-counterfeiting.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

VideoWitch posted:

"Maybe Alsace-Lorraine isn't actually worth it"

-the kaiser, 1917

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elsaß–Lothringen has always, and will always be part of Germany

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I noticed this from a PDS dev (top and bottom message) in Quill's stream today re: predictions of how profitable a new level of building will be when looking to construct it. Seems like a handy thing to know.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

why have it if it will only eat hot chip and lie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wukkar posted:

The Currency Designer DLC will be sweet. Picking between dead heads of state, colors, patterns, material, level 3 vs level 4 anti-counterfeiting.

Make the giant rock money the reserve currency of the world.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wukkar posted:

This hole! It was made for me!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I've got a personal review of Vicky 3 and its 0/10 because I cannot play the game yet gg paradox way to let me down again

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

quill forming Italy accidentally within ten years is some broken poo poo lmao

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to go to sleep and when I wake up Victoria 3 will be real.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I keep clicking on the "Victoria 3" in my steam account and nothing happens. Great job Paradox, broken a day before release. Literally unplayable.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Paradox please, i beg you

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anno posted:

I noticed this from a PDS dev (top and bottom message) in Quill's stream today re: predictions of how profitable a new level of building will be when looking to construct it. Seems like a handy thing to know.

It seems like it would be better to only give a vague prediction or no prediction at all than a highly specific prediction that will always be wrong. The latter actively hinders players' understanding of the game and only teaches them to not trust any of the numbers it shows you (which is par for the course with paradox games, but still frustrating).

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems like it would be better to only give a vague prediction or no prediction at all than a highly specific prediction that will always be wrong. The latter actively hinders players' understanding of the game and only teaches them to not trust any of the numbers it shows you (which is par for the course with paradox games, but still frustrating).

yep

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Drone posted:

Let me suggest the perfect naming system:

vIctoria
vIIctoria
vIIIctoria
IVictoria
Victoria
VIctoria

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Let me suggest the perfect naming system:

vIctoria
vIIctoria
vIIIctoria
IVictoria
Victoria
VIctoria

:hmmyes:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

Game has been dumbed down to appeal to the broad masses that can't read Roman numerals.

pre-order canceled.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Drone posted:

victoria iiv

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Ability to feel human: lost

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Anno posted:

That's weird, I was sure that these tooltips were specifically called out in one of the earlier streams as being fairly accurate and taking into account a lot of variables so that they weren't dumb predictions like you get for building poo poo in EU, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

RabidWeasel posted:

That's weird, I was sure that these tooltips were specifically called out in one of the earlier streams as being fairly accurate and taking into account a lot of variables so that they weren't dumb predictions like you get for building poo poo in EU, for example

They are/were, but I believe some recent changes have messed up the wage predictions. Going to be looking into it post release.