Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

urgh

Apollo managed to half tear off his dew claw. It's almost completely removed, the quick is exposed, etc. It's his second time doing this, and I just... Apollo please let me pull it completely off so we can wash it and bandage it.

Instead he's giving me Looks and this is probably going to be a vet visit. urgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Sanctum posted:

I'm using a short leash and a harness. I had to go back to negative reinforcement which is what caused this whole rebellion in the first place. Every time he tugs I stop walking. If he stops tugging we can start walking again. If he doesn't stop tugging I say "Heel." I do not repeat the command. I do not say anything else while he is tugging. If he doesn't stop I eventually step backwards pulling him with me. If the leash goes loose then I say "Okay" and we can start walking again. Usually we can't because he starts tugging again immediately. Walks are very frustrating for us both but he needs to learn.

Phone posting so I can’t address everything but I’d mix up him treats. Vary the value (you can make a trail mix of treats of various values so you never know what he’s going to get) and for sustained behaviors like loose leash walking vary how frequently he gets rewarded. You can also vary how you give the reward, toss it to him, roll it on the floor, scatter it on the ground etc. That way the reward is more engaging and a whole experience.

It sounds like you and the pup could really use to just focus on relationship building for a while. I did Absolute Dogs “sexier than a squirrel” course online when I first got my dog and it really helped us learn how to work together. When my computer is working again I’ll try to dig up more resources for you.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm not a violent or aggressive person but the entitled boomer mouthbreathers in my neighborhood who think it's their god given right to have their dog off leash turns me into some sort of feral maniac. It's so loving disrespectful, inconsiderate and childish.

Where I live it's not even a boomer thing. It's annoying when I'm walking around the park. It's loving scary when I'm walking along a busy street. I did really yell at a guy about it once, I actually yelled too hard so I went back and apologized later and tried to explain in lovely broken Spanish that I think leashing is important but I overreacted and I'm sorry.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

StrixNebulosa posted:

urgh

Apollo managed to half tear off his dew claw. It's almost completely removed, the quick is exposed, etc. It's his second time doing this, and I just... Apollo please let me pull it completely off so we can wash it and bandage it.

Instead he's giving me Looks and this is probably going to be a vet visit. urgh

This happened to us two weeks ago. So much blood. Good luck.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Working on re-socializing Little Bear now that he's been cleared for full activity after knee surgery. Go to the nearby dog park and walk him around the fence, working on look aways. (He tends to stare at other dogs which of course escalates.) Got him to the point where he was laying about 5' away from the fence with a dog right there. No reaction and glancing back and forth. Awesome.

Probably all undone when we're walking back to the car. An older woman had her dog off leash and it ran up and started nipping at LB (it was baring its teeth and all). I'm SUPER proud of LB because he actually didn't go nuts like he normally would at first. He actually looked at me! But then the dog nipped and all bets were off.

Thankfully I've gotten good enough with the leash/Gentle Leader where LB didn't make any contact on his lunges. The woman is screaming at her dog who finally backs down and goes with her down to the park. No apology and I just say "that's what leashes are for" to no acknowledgement.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please
I have an almost 16 year old chihuahua/mutt mix and her back's been bad for several years now now and I notice she's getting progressively more hump-backed and losing strength in her back legs. I didn't want to traumatize her by bringing her, as a senior dog, to the vet over and over to be poked and prodded over and over to figure out what the issue is (I know the issue: her spine is hosed up) and/or do painful surgery, recovery and rehab just to eke out a few more years with her; not to mention I wouldn't be able to afford the vet bills...

Here's a short video of how she currently gets around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvPNG9cKaMQ

There are a few fatty bumps on her skin (lipomas I think they're called?), had to get several teeth pulled a few years ago but she's otherwise been an exceptionally healthy, active little pup.

She's small, about 10lbs. We used to go on walks like six days a week well into her golden years but the last (very short) walk we went on was like 2 weeks ago and she's been homebound ever since, only able to move short distances and walk out to the backyard to pee.

I can see the writing on the wall and know she's going to be crossing the bridge soon, but it's hard because she's still mentally fairly alert, wanting stimulation and to do things... so it's a hard decision. So far I've been trying to pick her up and carry her when need be and even trying to lift with my legs and be careful my back is already hurting. Too afraid to really google or read about dog euthanasia and how to make it non-terrifying and non-painful and it's all just horrible to think about.

Hug your animals close and savor every second you have with them...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm sorry to hear that Reagan. That video was hard to watch because my Wally was in a similar state in his last months.

If she's otherwise okay besides the back/legs maybe she could get a doggie wheelchair? A quick google shows them available for a couple hundred bucks or so.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Do puppies get cranky/disobedient/bad when they’re tired? My 9 week old golden retriever was going bananas earlier-would not stop digging in the grass, ignored every ‘no’ and squeaky toy attempt at redirection, went right back to it even when I picked him up and moved him away, tried nipping at me when I eventually picked him up and carried him inside etc. When we got inside he immediately went and laid on my pajamas like he was going to nap. I’ve realized he had a very busy day. I was working outside on my house and he was out there with me much of the day and I don’t think he had much nap time.

He’s otherwise always very sweet and this just kind of scared me-I’ve never seen him so completely obsessed with something and so totally ignoring me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do puppies get cranky/disobedient/bad when they’re tired? My 9 week old golden retriever was going bananas earlier-would not stop digging in the grass, ignored every ‘no’ and squeaky toy attempt at redirection, went right back to it even when I picked him up and moved him away, tried nipping at me when I eventually picked him up and carried him inside etc. When we got inside he immediately went and laid on my pajamas like he was going to nap. I’ve realized he had a very busy day. I was working outside on my house and he was out there with me much of the day and I don’t think he had much nap time.

He’s otherwise always very sweet and this just kind of scared me-I’ve never seen him so completely obsessed with something and so totally ignoring me.

Yeah, much like human children they don't realize that they're tired and get cranky.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah when my 6 month old puppy gets like that she goes into the crate for nap because she obviously needs it and is just being stubborn.

They really are like children like that.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reaganomicon posted:

I have an almost 16 year old chihuahua/mutt mix and her back's been bad for several years now now and I notice she's getting progressively more hump-backed and losing strength in her back legs.

So sorry about your dog. It’s a hard decision when the mind is ok but the body is not.

If there is a vet that can do an at-home euthanasia, I definitely recommend exploring that option. It is so much better than having it done at the vet.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Both my dog and my child were fascinated/terrified of their own farts at very young ages.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, it's just as bad as the toddler stage. At least through the baby needle teeth falling out.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket has decided that the edge of political yard signs are great for scratching his butt.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket has decided that the edge of political yard signs are great for scratching his butt.

Brisket is correct.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

WhiteHowler posted:

Brisket is correct.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My girlfriend and I are in the market for a miniature dachshund. Any red flags from this breeder? There's an unrelated place down in Arkansas by the same name but I couldn't find anything else about them. I'll be able to go look at the puppies in person today or tomorrow. We'd also happily do a rescue dachshund but I haven't come across any locally.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IMO the big red flag is that they’re a dachshund breeder. Just make sure you spring for pet insurance.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend and I are in the market for a miniature dachshund. Any red flags from this breeder? There's an unrelated place down in Arkansas by the same name but I couldn't find anything else about them. I'll be able to go look at the puppies in person today or tomorrow. We'd also happily do a rescue dachshund but I haven't come across any locally.

Posting on puppies.com is a red flag in itself. That place is almost exclusively puppy mills or brokers with some folks that are just bybs thrown in. AKC has puppy listings (that you should still be careful of because it just means the parents are registered) and the dachshund club of America has both a breeder list and some who can refer you to a breeder directly.

http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org/dca-breeder-directory/

Finding a good breeder, filling out an application, and waiting for a litter is tough but it is worth the time and effort! Make sure any breeder is doing appropriate health testing for the breed and can tell you about any health or temperament concerns in their lines.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I already did some google work and I'm pretty sure there's not much I can actually do but I wanna ask anyway.

I'm pretty sure my girl has an ear infection but the soonest we can get an apportionment with the vet is Thursday morning. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her? I'm sure she's really uncomfortable and would just like to ease it a bit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

So I already did some google work and I'm pretty sure there's not much I can actually do but I wanna ask anyway.

I'm pretty sure my girl has an ear infection but the soonest we can get an apportionment with the vet is Thursday morning. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help her? I'm sure she's really uncomfortable and would just like to ease it a bit.

how good are you at cleaning her ears?
Whenever Brisket gets them he scratches them until the inside bleeds which makes scab stuff in the ear and makes him more uncomfortable. So we have some wipes to kinda get in there and help him out. Not too deep, but just the stuff we can see.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Posting on puppies.com is a red flag in itself. That place is almost exclusively puppy mills or brokers with some folks that are just bybs thrown in. AKC has puppy listings (that you should still be careful of because it just means the parents are registered) and the dachshund club of America has both a breeder list and some who can refer you to a breeder directly.

http://www.dachshundclubofamerica.org/dca-breeder-directory/

Finding a good breeder, filling out an application, and waiting for a litter is tough but it is worth the time and effort! Make sure any breeder is doing appropriate health testing for the breed and can tell you about any health or temperament concerns in their lines.

There are zero breeders within a reasonable distance for me listed on there. Illinois is the only state that touches mine that even has any. The AKC listings are also pretty sparse, especially for miniature dachshunds which you can't even filter by for some reason. I'm very much trying to avoid puppy mills and brokers(honestly one of the reasons I posted here) and I've seen a couple listings that were clearly from those that I'm not going to mess with, but options where I'm at are somewhat limited and I'm trying to keep it within 2 hours driving time for anything I'm going to get.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 24, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

how good are you at cleaning her ears?
Whenever Brisket gets them he scratches them until the inside bleeds which makes scab stuff in the ear and makes him more uncomfortable. So we have some wipes to kinda get in there and help him out. Not too deep, but just the stuff we can see.

Yeah we probably didn't clean them enough tbh. I'd take a look at them and they looked clean enough so I didn't want to over do it.

Really just trying to find something to help before we get into the vet.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 24, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

fknlo posted:

There are zero breeders within a reasonable distance for me listed on there. Illinois is the only state that touches mine that even has any. The AKC listings are also pretty sparse, especially for miniature dachshunds which you can't even filter by for some reason. I'm very much trying to avoid puppy mills and brokers(honestly one of the reasons I posted here) and I've seen a couple listings that were clearly from those that I'm not going to mess with, but options where I'm at are somewhat limited and I'm trying to keep it within 2 hours driving time for anything I'm going to get.

I drove from Ohio to Oklahoma to get my dog because that’s where the dogs I liked were being produced. She was absolutely worth the drive. Lots of breeders travel to shows or can arrange transportation as well.

That being said even if you can’t find an akc breeder or one that’s part of the parent club be sure they are doing appropriate health testing. That’s not just a regular vet check up, it probably involves x rays and genetic tests.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's a good place to get pet insurance for my big oaf of a black lab?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Costco :shrug: that’s where I got mine

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Costco :shrug: that’s where I got mine

Oh drat, didn't even cross my mind. Thanks!

e: Wow, that was way more expensive than I thought it would be. And it seems they don't cover orthopedic stuff until after you've been paying for 6 months?! That seems absolutely wild.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 25, 2022

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I’ve heard good things about healthy paws and trupanion.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I have Nationwide Pet + Wellness for Little Bear. Reimburses 90% of all claims subject to a (I think) $7500 max annual limit. I was only out $700 tops for his TPLO surgery compared to the $6600 price tag.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Do any of the insurance companies pay upfront?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

Do any of the insurance companies pay upfront?

I don't think any insurance company does because their goal is to find a reason not to pay you.
Your vet though might not need payment immediately

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think any insurance company does because their goal is to find a reason not to pay you.
Your vet though might not need payment immediately

Yeah I'm in LA and they all want the cold hard cash lol

I mean they suggest to use the care credit then just pay it back when the insurance company pays you.

I used to have nation wide and they did pay back most of what we spent on the cat when she got sick so they have that going for them.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah we probably didn't clean them enough tbh. I'd take a look at them and they looked clean enough so I didn't want to over do it.

Really just trying to find something to help before we get into the vet.

Using a saline solution to clean them can help. You can buy them or even easier just mix a small amount of salt in some water to make your own. Just be sure to thoroughly dry the ear afterwards

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I could use some advice on my puppy Pickwick. 9wk old male golden retriever, I’ve had him for 10 days or so. Overall he is really great, and inside he really is fantastic. He’s a very quick learner, learned the rules of tug of war in about 10 minutes, sits relatively reliably, pretty good for a baby puppy
Imo. He mostly learned not to chew on the rugs or furniture in about 3 days, he’s pretty content to play with a toy and lie on the floor next to me, loves to snuggle, all that good stuff. Gets in his crate when told for a treat, usually sleeps through the night, the two accidents he’s had were definitely my fault, not his. Good boy.

Outside though, it’s a different story. He’s not bad, and again he has learned to mostly not eat the bushes and dig holes, but it’s kind of like I don’t exist outside. Inside he usually follows me around from room to room and will respond to my voice or squeaky toys to get his attention, but outside he pretty much ignores all that. There’s lots of smells (and he definitely has a good nose) and he really likes to go find acorns under my oak tree. Nothing wrong with any of that really, that’s just dog stuff, but he won’t come inside when called or come to me and I have to go pick him up and bring him inside. He gets so distracted he forgets to go to the bathroom. He’s not so bad about it in the mornings, it’s mostly in the evenings/at night. He wasn’t like this the first few days, and he’s definitely gotten worse over time-there was a day I was working outside and he was in the yard all day lightly supervised and I think that’s when he learned there were no consequences if he didn’t listen.

I’m just not sure where to start. Should I work on a ‘leave it’ command? Recall? He’ll come if you get down and act excited, but that doesn’t work when he’s on the prowl for acorns or investigating a smell. Start leash training him and take him outside on a leash? The two times I’d put a leash on him to drag around and get used to he bites it and thinks it’s a toy, need to read up on preventing that. He doesn’t know his name yet because I not decided on one two days ago. Anyway, just not really sure where to start on this.

Puppy tax:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
he knows your house and that doesn't change. Every trip outside is new and exciting!

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Dogs are contextual learners which means you basically have to train everything twice … once for indoors and again for out doors as the context is different. The behaviour you describe is super normal so I wouldn’t worry at all at this stage. I would train recall as a priority out if your list but also do the basics outside too like sit and stay.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Is there a training questions thread?

My 14 month old is a very good boy, however he learned from the older dog he could scratch the back door when he wants to be let in. He outweighs his older brother by a good 40 pounds, so it's tearing up my door/door liner.

I'm having trouble finding a way to get him to understand the doorbell pad I added. The problem is:

He only wants inside (eventually) if the humans are inside. If I go outside to show him how to use the doorbell, he no longer has any interest in going inside because I'm outside, so it must be hangout with master outside time. He also won't scratch to be let in if I'm outside, so I can't say the no-no word, because again, life outside with me is paradise.

Basically I can't figure out how to correct and redirect. I have to open the door to say the no no word, at which point his goal has been met (the door has been opened, his human is present).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do you have someone you can work with? A friend or partner that won't distract the dog from wanting to be let inside? If so maybe they could help by being the outside person, and then you can stay inside and only open it and reward him when he uses the doorbell

e: alternately, and this is a longer shot, if you can train the older dog to use the doorbell first, maybe the younger one can learn from him?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Is there a training questions thread?

My 14 month old is a very good boy, however he learned from the older dog he could scratch the back door when he wants to be let in. He outweighs his older brother by a good 40 pounds, so it's tearing up my door/door liner.

I'm having trouble finding a way to get him to understand the doorbell pad I added. The problem is:

He only wants inside (eventually) if the humans are inside. If I go outside to show him how to use the doorbell, he no longer has any interest in going inside because I'm outside, so it must be hangout with master outside time. He also won't scratch to be let in if I'm outside, so I can't say the no-no word, because again, life outside with me is paradise.

Basically I can't figure out how to correct and redirect. I have to open the door to say the no no word, at which point his goal has been met (the door has been opened, his human is present).

Accept the loss of your door or have a doggy door put in.

I don’t know how you would train different behaviors for the same goal to two different dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Do you have someone you can work with? A friend or partner that won't distract the dog from wanting to be let inside? If so maybe they could help by being the outside person, and then you can stay inside and only open it and reward him when he uses the doorbell

e: alternately, and this is a longer shot, if you can train the older dog to use the doorbell first, maybe the younger one can learn from him?

Anyone outside means a chance the ball will be thrown, so desire to go inside is zero.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Accept the loss of your door or have a doggy door put in.

I don’t know how you would train different behaviors for the same goal to two different dogs.

The other dog doesn't do damage, so I don't care if he scratches.