Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

YaketySass posted:

Ancient civs had "Jews control the world" conspiracy theories?

Those are the ones with biblical or historical records of persecution of Jews, but I don't think the Protocols type poo poo caught on until the 19th century or thereabouts, no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

YaketySass posted:

wouldn't you start asking questions after everybody you know loses their firstborn son and work force and the ocean drowns your country's army?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
antisemitism has lead to a lot of horrible atrocities but i think we can all agree that the average nazi screed isnt half as odious as that letter is

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Yeah somebody did a big effort post about it here once but it's the origin of the idea that your political enemies are coming to eat your kids

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Malleum posted:

antisemitism has lead to a lot of horrible atrocities but i think we can all agree that the average nazi screed isnt half as odious as that letter is

idk man Mein kampf was pretty cringey

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Yeah somebody did a big effort post about it here once but it's the origin of the idea that your political enemies are coming to eat your kids

The one from the book of Exodus (which is of course ahistorical) was the pretty standard "this immigrant group is getting too big, what if they turn on us???" bogeyman story

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

christmas boots posted:

idk man Mein kampf was pretty cringey

hitler is an outlier and should not be counted

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

loquacius posted:

The one from the book of Exodus (which is of course ahistorical) was the pretty standard "this immigrant group is getting too big, what if they turn on us???" bogeyman story

You mean the part that was made up wholesale by Canaanites who wanted to justify to themselves why their better than their neighbors?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

You mean the part that was made up wholesale by Canaanites who wanted to justify to themselves why their better than their neighbors?

yeah that one

that was the one being referenced

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the form it took in late-antiquity/middle ages/Renaissance/etc Europe&SWANA was necessarily different but yeah this poo poo has been going on for a long time, often for the same reason as contemporary cases (give the plebs someone else to blame for conditions being terrible, then the ruling class confiscate all their wealth/has their debit disappear).

it's maybe the only thing in history where you can say the Christian monarchs/church weren't that bad compared to what came later

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've mostly gotten sick of Marvel, but I kind of want to see Ant-Man 3.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1584575500311154688?s=20&t=AB6MUndV4Mqx7bQd6ey04A

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

loquacius posted:

Emma Stone's birth name is Emily Stone but she couldn't use that as her actress name because they already had an Emily Stone who beat her to it so she had to use Emma instead which is funny in a different way IMO
Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

FFT posted:

Michael J Fox's middle name is Andrew

He should legally have to change it to Jandrew

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Munsters looks so cheap and the trailer turned me off the flick. He did rebuild the Munsters house and street though which is cool as hell. Gunna try to watch it before the end of the month.

I grew up like 30 miles away from a 100% faithful replication of the Munster's mansion that was filled with original TV props. They ran tours and a haunted house out of it every Halloween. It probably made it real easy to rebuild the mansion when there was an already existing template built by obsessives who have been doing a frame by frame analysis for decades

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Nichael posted:

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1584575500311154688?s=20&t=AB6MUndV4Mqx7bQd6ey04A

The preview looks good. Plus I was informed by other more culture warrior connected goons that it has 2 problematic actors.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

I grew up like 30 miles away from a 100% faithful replication of the Munster's mansion that was filled with original TV props. They ran tours and a haunted house out of it every Halloween. It probably made it real easy to rebuild the mansion when there was an already existing template built by obsessives who have been doing a frame by frame analysis for decades

RZ is also that obsessed with Munsters, he probably didn't need reference material

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In a few years we'll have had twenty years of Marvel cinematic universe movies, yeuch

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nichael posted:

Ive tuned out most Marvel things but this looks mildly interesting. Maybe Paul Rudd snark is just more endearing and easier to stomach than Hemsworth snark

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Justin Tyme posted:

In a few years we'll have had twenty years of Marvel cinematic universe movies, yeuch

And only one Munsters movie during that entire time. Shameful.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nix Panicus posted:

Ive tuned out most Marvel things but this looks mildly interesting. Maybe Paul Rudd snark is just more endearing and easier to stomach than Hemsworth snark

it's frustrating cause Rudd is actually funny and they put a weighted gi on him

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MacheteZombie posted:

Loomis is always full of poo poo. It's why I love him

https://youtu.be/_RT68x-AZOQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Nichael posted:

Sometimes I think my only comfort in life is knowing that Hasbro's lawyers are stopping Disney from using the word "Microverse" and you know what?

Sometimes that is enough

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Stairmaster posted:

movies became pointless after predator was made. there is but only one summit.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm pretty sure there are some fun as heck movies in the 30-50% fresh range, possibly the most interesting ones

thats where all the funny bad horror sequels end up

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

sitchensis posted:

re-watched Poltergeist (1982). still slaps even after 40 years.

I miss movies that establish characters and families in a way that is empathetic and relatable. I totally forgot that the parents in Poltergeist smoke dope and laugh at silly little jokes with one another after putting the kids to bed, and they aren’t painted as delinquent freaks for doing so. the kids are also pretty great in the film — they aren’t precocious and wise, they act like kids — and do/say things that actual children would do.

Even Carol-Anne, the youngest, has her own personality that reflects what a six year old girl would be like. You can tell she’s kind of weird, but she’s weird in a little kid way, not a ‘wise beyond her years’ way.

spielberg’s touch is also all over the directing. the film really effectively moves from a feeling of wonderment about the haunting (the mom is so excited by it that she shows off Carol Anne being moved independently on the kitchen floor by the spirits to her husband) and pivots to outright terror/horror as things ratchet up (a steak coming to life and crawling on the counter…)

there was a good Reddit comment about this movie that said that it didn’t make you afraid of the spirits/terrors that infest the house, rather it made you afraid for the family because it so effectively sets up the dynamics of the Freelings in the first 1/4 of the film. I have to heartily agree with this. Horror without some kind of empathy with the characters is just a demo reel of effects. what do you all think?

early Spielberg is insanely good (I know he didnt direct, but he did the screenplay for poltergeist and his stink is all over it)

Jaws, ET and Close Encounters have almost a documentary feel where characters seem incredibly real and unscripted. there's constant crosstalk, people seem wholly formed, and the kids are always doin weird kid poo poo.

it's funny that he used to get accused of creating feel-good nostalgia, but these days our nostalgia pieces just mine Spielberg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Durf posted:

early Spielberg is insanely good (I know he didnt direct, but he did the screenplay for poltergeist and his stink is all over it)

Jaws, ET and Close Encounters have almost a documentary feel where characters seem incredibly real and unscripted. there's constant crosstalk, people seem wholly formed, and the kids are always doin weird kid poo poo.

it's funny that he used to get accused of creating feel-good nostalgia, but these days our nostalgia pieces just mine Spielberg

Spielberg's stuff imo likes to specifically evoke people's relationships with the stuff they see in ways like nostalgia- wonder, terror, curiosity and confusion, the feeling of a kind encountering things for the first time. Jurassic Park is changed from a gimmicky techno-thriller to an almost allegorical showcase of how far humans go to create spectacle and wonder even if it ends up consuming them. (and see also how Nope is basically made out of Spielberg homages) Close Encounters and ET about the experience of the unknown and amazing that the idea of alien encounters represents. Of course that makes it all absolutely primed to tickle every one of the centres of the brain that create nostalgia, but can't blame the man for being good at his job.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Stairmaster posted:

slasher movies became pointless after predator was made. there is but only one summit.

Insane take. The Predator punishes 0 teens for having sex or doing drugs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Slashers are the most boomer genre.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always think of "beach movies" from the 60s as the most boomer possible movie genre. Slashers didn't really exist in any meaningful sense until Halloween in 1978 which is firmly into Gen-X territory.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
And hey.. Gen-X also was very into slut-shaming.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

the most boomer-rear end genre is "biker gangs"

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

god there's so many awful movies from the sixties and seventies thats just about people on bikes harassing towns

a close second place is the genre "people driving trucks and not a second thing"

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

DoombatINC posted:

god there's so many awful movies from the sixties and seventies thats just about people on bikes harassing towns

a close second place is the genre "people driving trucks and not a second thing"

I mostly agree, but Stone Cold with Brian Bosworth is about nazi bikers harassing a town and that movie loving rules. It's from the 90s though. They must have learned some lessons.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Durf posted:

Duel is an insanely good movie for what it is too, especially his first movie. if anyone like's Joy Ride, check-out Duel.

but yeah early spielberg is legit some good talent. his last good movie was probably Minority Report and since then has spent the last 2 decades being lazy and making garbage. kinda sad to see because his 70s-90s stuff was S-tier and post 2000s is just... ughhhhhhh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

war horse has such a dumb fuckin' premise i never saw it

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Rings of Prime, by far the most expensive TV show in history (465m for season 1, 250m for rights) ended only a week ago and its already been knocked out of the 1st spot on Prime Video by a new show called The Peripheral, something I don't think anyone knew existed a week ago. Holy poo poo I can't wait to see these Nielson numbers in the coming weeks/months.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 minutes!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though the funny part of the narrative is that I don't think I've ever heard anyone object to the idea that the rest of europe hosed Germany over a barrel while they had the leverage and went all shocked pikachu face when the country ended up a vengeful basket case, whether British, French or American. Nobody considers it remotely difficult to believe.

its extremely funny how for maybe ten years the strategy for dealing with hitler was just to say ok hitler youre right now could you please stop being so angry now that ive just implied you have a good reason to be angry

more on topic this is why ive never liked american history x and am not at all surprised that actual skinheads are fans of it given that it attempts to discredit nazism by using almost the exact same rhetorical strategy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

William Gibson stays winning

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

DoombatINC posted:

yeah people on bikes harassing towns is a pretty great genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_8tU1tiuuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

in the eighties there were a TON of movies about wardudes going back into Vietnam to set things right