Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OP I love in Ohio and would possibly road trip to buy donuts from you

It depends on how far from me you are though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Make sure to act really weird and internet so you get a discount

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I can always walk in and ask if you have stairs in this establishment

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Whoever bought you the new avatar put more thought and effort into it than you have your new business venture. For example, they actually made a donut, even if it's only a .GIF.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Admiralty Flag posted:

Whoever bought you the new avatar put more thought and effort into it than you have your new business venture. For example, they actually made a donut, even if it's only a .GIF.

try more magnesium
Jul 3, 2006

this is my posting face
i love to post
OP dont you dare abandon this thread it has so much potential

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

try more magnesium posted:

OP donut you dare abandon this thread it has so much potential
FTFY

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/Hmdpe8m

Moved the mixer over to the house and plugged it in and it works.

Waiting on a call back from the distributor but in the meantime wifeys gonna pick up some ingredients from town.

Potato flakes and buttermilk and so on and so forth. Gonna mess around with dough recipes and then taste the mix and throw my notes in the trash hopefully.

Looking at espresso machine reviews they’re like “this little machine is a work horse the only problem is you have to send it back to be serviced” which makes me think I can just keep a spare on hand to make up for the lack of local espresso support.

Dough and joe

The dough-joe

Shots on deck

Dead guy donuts

Daybreakers

E: thank you whoever for my new avatar I feel like I’m in the clique for real now

Rationale fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 24, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Doughn't do it. Though it seems you're well on your way. Good luck

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It's been brought up before, but are you even going to try to get hired at a donut place, bakery, etc., so you will have some idea of what sort of hellish half-life awaits you from 1am-6pm every day? Or what the volumes and workload will be like? (Or, more precisely, what you hope they'll be like?)

BTW what will working a split shift like that do to your marriage? Or is that in the "worry about later" pile too?

Also BTW if you go through with this you dumb bastard you better make and serve both maple bars and lemon glazed old fashioneds. Those are both ambrosia.

My prediction/lame thread joke: in a few months, you'll be saying, "Those goons were right when they torus a new one!"

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’m funding this project with wages. It’s not economical to get a job as a baker’s helper or enroll at the community college because I’m getting 10-44 hours of overtime a week and that’s what’s going to buy me a business.

The hours don’t scare me because, like I keep saying, construction life isn’t known to be super cool. I’d love to pare it down to 6x7 where I just make the donuts and pay people to sell them but it’s going to be at least a year of 10-12x7 to get everything where it needs to be.

Right now I wake up at 4:30 and I get home at 6.

I could do donuts from 12-10 and come home and love on the family before I pass out.

E: I think I’m gonna name it “the radical wren”

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

make a mangosteen donut

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do You Have Eclairs In Your House?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do You Have Eclairs In Your House?

I am confected

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

ilmucche posted:

OP name your store Doughn't Nuts

Whether it's real or not I want to learn more about the donut and patisserie making lives of Powerful Katrinka and I Got the 'Tude Now

If you're serious, I'll do an effort post about making donuts when I have some time later. If anyone wants to know what the job is, anyway

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

The terrible secret of spice

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Elephanthead posted:

The terrible secret of spice
Donut Post Pastries Here

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Powerful Katrinka posted:

If you're serious, I'll do an effort post about making donuts when I have some time later. If anyone wants to know what the job is, anyway
you should at least do it as a charity for the OP who is too quixotic to seek out this information on his own

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'd read it, effort posts about areas of goon expertise that I know nothing about are usually good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Post, Your Favorite Donuts!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

you should 100% do this but in A/T so that the OP doesn't get any spoilers they don't want to see, and also because that's cool info in its own right

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Someone post about coffee too I’ve been neglecting it in my mind

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'd read it too, please link if you post it somewhere else

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Rationale posted:

No professional experience here but I would suggest learning to service your machine as opposed to owning two and shipping one offsite for a descale or gasket swap OP. I would also suggest learning to make a good cup of espresso but that might be asking a bit much.

You could get all this, without dropping thousands of dollars on a commercial machine and grinder, by working at a relevant establishment, as has been suggested many times.

Ohtori Akio fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 25, 2022

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ohtori Akio posted:

No professional experience here but I would suggest learning to service your machine as opposed to owning two and shipping one offsite for a descale or gasket swap OP.

Servicing yourself is the best, but ship and swap is next best. (I am not in coffee or donuts)

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Epitope posted:

Servicing yourself is the best, but ship and swap is next best. (I am not in coffee or donuts)

Self-service feels like table stakes if someone wants to run an outlaw style bootstraps coffee shop in the middle of nowhere.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

Coffee. It’s good OP.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

100%, it's cool to read effortposts from goons who have stories and experience

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ohtori Akio posted:

Self-service feels like table stakes if someone wants to run an outlaw style bootstraps coffee shop in the middle of nowhere.

...is, is that not what this is?

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Epitope posted:

...is, is that not what this is?

I stated a suggestion to self-service, you stated that ship and swap can go OK. I stated that for this operation, self-service seems correct, assuming OP is capable of learning and dedicating himself to a problem in order to save money.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
my bad, mods postcock last 3 posts

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
On the one hand I’m certainly capable of espresso maintenance/repair but on the other hand I’m also capable of voiding the warranty or electrocuting myself. The ol’ diy roulette

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Ship and swap is ridiculous. In all the years I worked coffee we never shipped out our espresso machine freaking anywhere, that would be ridiculously expensive and a pain in the butt to undo everything.

Everywhere I worked, if I couldn't service it, my coffee company could.

Also, yes, you should just do drip from airports initially. Espresso is a whole different game to learn, equipment is pricey and if you don't make sure you do daily cleaning properly you can damage it at the worst and at the best make espresso that tastes like rear end.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 25, 2022

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
+1 start with drip. I've been getting into espresso details just to highlight that half-assing espresso is a good way to light money on fire and make terrible coffee. Drip will keep capex and opex very low and make a much more consistent product. You won't get to soak up those espresso milk drink margins yet but it's not like you were making a business plan anyways.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
People will also be more ok with crappy drip then crappy espresso. A $1-ish cup of coffee is expected to be eh, so if it's good, it's a great surprise, if it's not, well whatevs.

A $3-5 espresso drinks should be great in most people's brains and if it's not, they get pissed. Lower stakes both financially and in terms of reputation for drip coffee.

Honestly, my two favorite donut shops only do lovely drip from a self service airpot, and it's fantastic.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Tempora Mutantur posted:

you should 100% do this but in A/T so that the OP doesn't get any spoilers they don't want to see, and also because that's cool info in its own right

Well, thank you! I'm just going to put it in this thread, it doesn't seem like something that has enough material for a separate one.

I worked at a Tim Horton's for a summer, which was just heating up premade rings in an oven and then filling, glazing, and decorating them. I baked a few things, but it was either frozen or came from a bucket of batter.

The other place was in a local grocery store, that one was real baking and I did it for a few years. Since it was a shared space--the donut fryer was in the same area as the fryers and ovens for non-baked goods--everything had to be finished and the space cleaned by 5:30 AM at the very latest. So my shift started at 8 PM on donut days, 9 PM if I was on breads. The store's bakery made up about a quarter of the store's profit, so it was going 24 hours a day. Also, since I was working in an all-purpose bakery, there was no donut machine; cake donuts and donut holes were made with a hand-cranked hopper, and yeast raised were made with hand cutters, a bread rolling machine, a sheeter, and a good ol' fashioned metal dough cutter. Oh, and there was hand-cut donuts, a cake donut cut by hand for peanut and coconut sticks. ("By hand" includes rolling dough cutters that save a lot of time.)

French crullers and croissants came pre-made, because gently caress making those by hand for $10/hour. (The store also made and sold regular baked croissants, that was part of the morning crew's job, though.) Since I got into the store first, my job included turning on the (giant) oven and the proofer, so they'd be ready for the rest of the night crew. I also got first crack at the cooling/storage racks, which was nice, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm very particular about my equipment, as was the woman who filled and decorated the donuts and other pastries, we liked the same racks and wouldn't let anyone else touch them, lol

On a typical day, I made four kinds of cake: sour cream, vanilla, hand-cut, and chocolate, but sometimes we'd get random extra flavors like cherry. Autumn was loving brutal, because we'd have to make apple cider and pumpkin spice donuts, plus donut holes, and we'd have to double the output for orders and the randoms who forgot to order donuts for the office Halloween party and came to the store in a panic in the morning. Anything getting just glaze, is glazed right out the fryer. Everything else was cooled before getting powder sugar or peanuts or sprinkles, because glaze will slide right off a hot baked good, along with whatever was sticking to the glaze. Cake donuts are easy to make, just kinda sloppy. And you've got to made sure to thoroughly clean the hopper at the end of the day, or there's half-raw dough that was cooked in the dishwasher stick to it. (Cleaning was the other thing I was very particular about. The other guys didn't clean as they went when they made donuts, and I just can't abide that. Shameful.)

I think yeast-raised donuts are going to give Rationale trouble, partly because I don't know if you can make yeast donuts in a donut machine, which as far as I can tell is an automated hopper. A quick look over Google doesn't look promising, anyway. I'm also pretty bad at estimating size, so I honestly know if his mixer is the same size as the ones we used for bread and yeast-raised. I don't know what the size of our biggest mixer was, but it could hold 80 pounds of flour/mix and 50 pounds of water without fear of spilling or overheating the motor. The bowls of the two Big Mixers had wheel stands so because the bowls themselves were too heavy to be moved otherwise. Again, though, this was an all-purpose bakery that cranked out breads and cakes, so what he has could be just fine for his operations.

Weekdays I made a 40 lb batch: 40 lbs of mix, 20-some pounds of water, and about a pound of yeast. The yeast comes in compressed cakes of a pound each, they were kept in a fridge by the donut decorating area with other supplies. Friday and Saturday nights, I made 50-75 lbs of mix and the respective amount of water and yeast. We used a standing scale to measure mix and flour, and a balance scale for yeast. (Water's weight is its volume: a fluid ounce of water weighs an ounce. "A pint's a pound, the world around.") We always used ice water, to retard the yeast and give ourselves a little extra time in a warm bakery. The dough was cut into proper weight and shapes: spheroids for round filled donuts, oblong pillows for the rest. After being laid out on the work table, the dough got covered and was allowed to proof a little while I finished up the cake donuts and prepped for frying off the yeast-raised

Round filled donuts were made by flattening the dough out on a special disc that went into the roller, a machine that was at least as old as I am ("Made in West Germany") and bolted into the floor. It cuts the dough into 24 pieces, then presses down on the pieces and rolls them into a ball. Leave it on too long, the dough is too tight and the donuts will be small and rise in a weird, off-balance way; don't leave it on long enough, and the dough is too loose, the donuts will over-rise, over-inflate in the fryer, absorb extra grease, then deflate and sag into themselves. The pillow-shaped dough went through the sheeter twice, because rolling out proofed yeast dough by hand is difficult and time consuming. (If I could have one absurdly professional and oversized bakery device in my home, it would be a sheeter. You can make real laminated pastries like danish dough and croissants with a mechanical sheeter that would be terrible to make with a rolling pin. I've tried and failed, lol)

Rings and long johns (the regional name for long filled donuts) were cut by hand, with the dough scraps set aside to be used. The largest pillow was used to make cinnamon rolls. (The day crew made baked cinnamon rolls.) Then all the scrap dough was pulled together to make apple fritters, which are easy and sloppy and kind of fun to make. Cinnamon, flour, and apple pieces are kneaded into the dough, which is cut into irregular shapes and sizes. Then it all went into the proofer so I could have a cigarette outside and grab a drink. (The best part of working overnights in a store like that was that we had free run of the place and took whatever we wanted. One night the manager made steak and potatoes for us.) (We did pay for stuff we took home, in the most inconsiderate way possible: leave a list of what we bought and some cash. Good luck with inventory, guys!) If the batch was big enough, or I was really running behind, sometimes the first rack of donuts would be proofed and ready by the time I finished the second.

Frying the yeast donuts took about an hour, hour and a half, all in one go. There was a screen that attached to the fryer for submerging the cinnamon rolls and apple fritters, since they're more dense than the other donuts. Once everything was fried and glazed, I did the peanut and powdered sugars (plain and cinnamon sugar) for the filled rounds, then brought the rack over to the woman who decorated and filled. The store had a row of fillers, each dedicated to a specific filling: apple, cream cheese, Boston cream, etc. There was also a set-up for the dip fondants: chocolate, white, and sometimes a seasonal color. The store didn't go crazy with decorating, maybe some sprinkles for a holiday on top of the fondant; the lady who did them, didn't have the time to putz around. Then I finished the rest of the donuts that needed sugar/peanuts/coconut, finished cleaning (scraping down the prep area, washing surfaces, scraping and washing the floor), threw my apron in the laundry, and went home

The thing about dough is that once you start it, the clock starts ticking and you have to see it through to the end, even the cake donuts. None of us took an extended break; we'd sit for a few minutes here and there between tasks. Same with the people on the bench: you had time for a cig and a sit, but not for a dedicated fifteen minutes. We all ate on the fly, usually making ourselves sandwiches or grabbing a pre-made meal from the deli department. That suited me just fine, along with the hours. I have some kind of sleep disorder, it's like I have permanent jetlag and I've been like this for literally as long as I can remember. I would drive home, shower off the filth real quick, then go to bed and wake up in the afternoon. That way I had time to do things during business hours, and could hang out with people in the afternoon/evenings, or grab an extra nap before work. On my days off, I just kept the same sleep schedule; even now, if I'm left to my own devices, I revert to a nocturnal schedule

Anyway, that's the general routine. If anyone has questions, let me know!

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Epic post I enjoyed it a lot. Thank you.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

that post owns. I will have questions!

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
drat, now I really want a donut

e: great effortpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

try more magnesium
Jul 3, 2006

this is my posting face
i love to post

I have some kind of sleep disorder, it's like I have permanent jetlag and I've been like this for literally as long as I can remember.

i have this too, it makes working "normal" jobs or going to school or conducting business during business hours into a federal loving issue. thank you for the donut post and thank god for adderall