Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Huh so EFI can break. Imagine that.

I was led to believe it's foolproof and maintenance free!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I knew it! Gimme back my carbs, points, and springer forks like God intended!!!

2/5 bikes in my garage have carbs. One is leaking fork oil and the other is missing a chain. Coincidence?

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 24, 2022

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Fuel leak you say? Oh, it's probably the petcock. Or the carbs. What, you don't have those? Must be the seals then, or a pinhole in the fuel tank.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
*sigh*

Fine, we'll go back to mechanical injection.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

*sigh*

Fine, we'll go back to mechanical injection.

A fate worse than death, although maybe if the japanese had a go at it it might not be a nightmare.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
works fine with diesels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

works fine with diesels.

I know, I've just never seen a mechanical system on a petrol that didn't make me want to hook the high pressure line to my oesophagus. But they were all german so I'm open to the idea as a concept.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the OG Vette had mechanical injection as an option but I have zero experience with it. At the same time the 300SL was also mechanical but direct injected. Also K-jet which is its own barrel of hell unless you have all sorts of tools. Those are really the only petrol versions I know of. EFI just sorta took over in that arena.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There was at least one American-made mechanical injection system for PWC 2-stroke race engines, sometime in the 90's.
IIRC it was complete garbage because it could not sense engine load and therefore the only input to fuel delivery was crank speed, transferred via nylon gears prone to breaking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

the OG Vette had mechanical injection as an option but I have zero experience with it. At the same time the 300SL was also mechanical but direct injected. Also K-jet which is its own barrel of hell unless you have all sorts of tools. Those are really the only petrol versions I know of. EFI just sorta took over in that arena.

K-jet is what I'm unfortunately familiar with, both the electronically regulated kind and the giant flappy paddle only kind. It is hell.

TotalLossBrain posted:

There was at least one American-made mechanical injection system for PWC 2-stroke race engines, sometime in the 90's.
IIRC it was complete garbage because it could not sense engine load and therefore the only input to fuel delivery was crank speed, transferred via nylon gears prone to breaking.

Lmao good lord

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

the OG Vette had mechanical injection as an option

Oh poo poo, I remember this. It was called Kingfisher. That and the fact that the original Vette was a six-cylinder are the only things I remember, though.

Slavvy posted:

K-jet is what I'm unfortunately familiar with, both the electronically regulated kind and the giant flappy paddle only kind. It is hell.

Wasn't the electronically-regulated one called L-Jetronic? The flapper was K-Jet.

Currently looking for the thoughtful/insane German auto tech smiley and it does not exist :( .

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

works fine with diesels.

works fine on airplane engines too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Oh poo poo, I remember this. It was called Kingfisher. That and the fact that the original Vette was a six-cylinder are the only things I remember, though.

Wasn't the electronically-regulated one called L-Jetronic? The flapper was K-Jet.

Currently looking for the thoughtful/insane German auto tech smiley and it does not exist :( .

Nah, I had several L-jet cars and they were basically efi with a separate ignition system, the L (for luft) signified a mechanical airflow meter wherein a flappy paddle in the air intake connected to a potentiometer was used to gauge engine load.

Then I also had cars with motronic where they did exactly the same thing but integrated spark timing into the efi ECU instead of having it all done with a cdi distributor.

There was two kinds of k-jet, one had some degree of electrical control and the other just used a paddle arm connected to a spill valve in the fuel distributor box to change the amount of fuel pressure dependant on load. It worked badly!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Nah, I had several L-jet cars and they were basically efi with a separate ignition system, the L (for luft) signified a mechanical airflow meter wherein a flappy paddle in the air intake connected to a potentiometer was used to gauge engine load.

Then I also had cars with motronic where they did exactly the same thing but integrated spark timing into the efi ECU instead of having it all done with a cdi distributor.

There was two kinds of k-jet, one had some degree of electrical control and the other just used a paddle arm connected to a spill valve in the fuel distributor box to change the amount of fuel pressure dependant on load. It worked badly!

K-Jetronic was mechanical, KE-Jetronic had an electro-hydraulic pressure regulator that replaced the pressure regulator with the piston (connected to the flapper) in the K-Jetronic system.

EDIT: If you want to stare into the mouth of madness, look up the SPICA mechanical fuel injection used in for example the Alfa Romeo Montreal.

EDIT2: LOOK AT IT!

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 26, 2022

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Huh so EFI can break. Imagine that.

No it can't.
:colbert:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Fuel leak you say? Oh, it's probably the petcock. Or the carbs. What, you don't have those? Must be the seals then, or a pinhole in the fuel tank.

roflmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

K-Jetronic was mechanical, KE-Jetronic had an electro-hydraulic pressure regulator that replaced the pressure regulator with the piston (connected to the flapper) in the K-Jetronic system.

EDIT: If you want to stare into the mouth of madness, look up the SPICA mechanical fuel injection used in for example the Alfa Romeo Montreal.

EDIT2: LOOK AT IT!

Literally just a diesel pump adapted to petrol :lol:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yup. And we know how old diesels roll coal all on their own thanks to leaking injectors and worn pumps.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yup. And we know how old diesels roll coal all on their own thanks to leaking injectors and worn pumps.

And or lack of anaroid limiter. To be fair that would be a relatively simple pump for a diesel engine lacking in the features you'd find in late ones just prior to electronic injection. (it lacks any kind of dynamic timing advance in the governor section, it's also batch fire.)
Which those diesels are all totally hammered dogshit from years of abuse anyway running on fragged rings/pistons/etc.

Don't ask me how I know.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
On sunday I checked my valves and did a few other things while I had the tank off. The plug looked a little sooty so I decided to unscrew the carb and check the needle position since I couldn't remember where it was set.

At which point the needle retaining clip (not the e clip that sets the position, the little m shaped thing that holds it into the slide) went PING and vanished into the yard which is currently full of leaves

After crawling around and not finding anything in the direction I THOUGHT I heard it land I called out my girlfriend to help in the search.

After finding a literal sewing needle in a pile of leaves, she eventually found it for me embedded in some ground cover plants in the opposite direction of where I thought I heard it land.

In the middle of us crawling around on the ground some guys in suits and wide flat brimmed hats approached from the street and announced that they were from the baptist church and would you like to talk about how you can get into heaven?
They pretty easily accepted with an "ok" when my girlfriend told them "not right now, we're looking for a tiny important part"

Weird day

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

You can tell me about Jesus all you like if you help me look for a circlip in this pile of leaves. I might even be inclined to listen if you actually find it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Do you ride? no? Then if you're going to heaven like hell if I wanna join you"

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I like this song about riding motorcycles in heaven
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgCRMvDa7w

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The power was out, so I change the oil on the Triumph.
Easiest change ever. No panels to take off or anything. Super accessible drain bolt and filter, too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Injector arrived, swapped it over, easy 15 minute job.

Seems like it was probably crash damage from her last drop, the fuel line connector extends out to the right just far enough that it must have just tapped the ground when she went down. Likely not very hard, but hard enough to put a stress fracture in the thin plastic spigot that widened out over the next month until total failure.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My shipment of 10W-30 arrived. Turns out Motul 7100 is purple? 2550ml out, 2550ml replaced.

The old stuff looks a bit ropey, I wonder if the garage actually did it when I paid them last year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oil turns brown within like 500 miles of running in an engine. Shorter if you didn't totally flush all the old stuff out. What's in that bucket doesn't look unusual to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

My shipment of 10W-30 arrived. Turns out Motul 7100 is purple? 2550ml out, 2550ml replaced.

The old stuff looks a bit ropey, I wonder if the garage actually did it when I paid them last year.

What are all these devices...?

E: I've just worked out what's going on and I have to tell you, you really won't be able to get all the oil out by suction from above. The capacity of that bike anecdotally is like 3L, I don't see how the sucky thing can get past the baffles in the pan. Never seen anyone do it that way before, that's like how you do the transmission oil on a car or something? Did you do the oil filter?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 29, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

This is so Swiss it hurts.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

What are all these devices...?

E: I've just worked out what's going on and I have to tell you, you really won't be able to get all the oil out by suction from above. The capacity of that bike anecdotally is like 3L, I don't see how the sucky thing can get past the baffles in the pan. Never seen anyone do it that way before, that's like how you do the transmission oil on a car or something? Did you do the oil filter?

The capacity is 2500ml and I got exactly that out (50ml over). Filter change isn't specified for an annual oil change in the service manual.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

The capacity is 2500ml and I got exactly that out (50ml over). Filter change isn't specified for an annual oil change in the service manual.

Russian Bear posted:

This is so Swiss it hurts.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

😑

The devices are

1. Motorcycle
2. Oil extraction pump
3. Old 12V battery

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 29, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol ok, glhf

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

😑

The devices are

1. Motorcycle
2. Oil extraction pump
3. Old 12V battery

Is the battery for the nipple clamps?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ugggggghhhh. Once again I have discovered that in motorcycle repair I need to trust my instincts, because these days they're usually right.

CL350 had been sitting for a while and had seemed to be running a little off when I put it away, so I took the opportunity to scrub out the carbs and do some other tuning up of the air/fuel system. Rebuilt the petcock, replaced the stripped screws on the airbox clamps, etc. Got it all reassembled last week, and this weekend put in fresh gas and went to tune it up.

Turned it on and noticed the lamps weren't working. "That's funny. It was firing before I cleaned it up, though, so it's probably just some corrosion in a switch or something." Proceeded to start tuning the engine. In the back of my head, a voice is saying

you know that there's no way a switch could just suddenly corrode and stop all your lamps from working

and

you should really stop and figure out this electrical thing, rather than just pushing on with what you wanted to do today

But I ignored them because I really wanted to get the bike running today.

Went through the tuning process and could not get it right. The idle was wandering, the mixture screws weren't causing the response I was expecting, the idle needed to be set at an unusual position, it wasn't starting reliably. Got it idling acceptably well and tried revving it up, and it immediately bogged and chugged and backfired above 3000. Just running like poo poo. "What the hell did I do wrong???" I think. "Is it running too lean, or too rich, or what? Somehow it has symptoms of both?? Everything in the carbs is squeaky clean and the slides are lubricated and the gas is new and the airboxes and carb boots are well-sealed...what could possibly still be going wrong with the fueling??"

hey remember that rule that any time you think it's fuel, it's actually electrical, and vice versa?

Finally listened to the voices. Got the battery charger out and plugged the bike in and gave it a couple of minutes. Started it up with the charger still connected and VAROOOOOMMM it immediately comes to life, runs beautifully and smoothly up to redline, settles right down to idle. Battery's just shot. I have mostly kept it on a tender, but there was a period of a few months where someone unplugged it and I didn't notice, and maybe that was enough to kill it.

gently caress's sake. Let this be a reminder that any time you think it's fuel, it's actually electrical, and also that a battery can be good enough to run the engine but still poo poo enough to run the engine poorly, and that you should pay attention to those little insights that drift into your mind from the collective unconscious because they're probably correct.

Off to get a new battery, again!

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 31, 2022

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Today I put new coil pickups in the Elefant and now it runs on both cylinders.

:toot:

Next up: timing belts/tensioners/idlers and fork seals.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I installed an X-ring chain and new sprockets on the VanVan last weekend. I'm hoping this means my chain adjustments come every 500+ miles instead of <200.

But now this weekend I need to clean it off really good and and re-wax it, because apparently my idea of spraying the chain wax right on top of that delicious factory grease was not the genius move I thought it was.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If moto chains are anything like bike chains (which is all I know anything about) factory lube is best lube and not to be messed with until necessary. I think I will replace the little honda chain this winter because it's time, even if I'll sell it before spring :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Call me a selfish bastard but since you'll never get the value of that chain replacement back willingly in a resale, I'd totally leave it alone unless the current chain's overdue.

And yeah bicycle forums are where I found most of the chain lube lore. Whether factory lube was good for riding or not seemed to be a point of contention like most lube product arguments (some people felt it was too sticky), but there was general agreement that you don't mix spray-on Wax with factory grease-type lube like I did, or you effectively degrade both of them. Something about the wax not sticking, and the stuff that's made to evaporate from the wax spray stripping the grease?

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 12, 2022