Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have thoughts about this radical upending of the table after playing the Experimental beta a bit.

I'm sort of mixed with this new Altar Of Hope hub being the center for unlocking heroes, upgrading poo poo, getting new items to drop later, "memories," etc. It seems to move the game closer to DD1's townships and permanent upgrades, just with a slightly different (and, in terms of ludonarrative dissonance, curiously nonsensical) flavor. At this stage I'm not sure if this will end up being faster or slower a way to unlock certain things but I'm really tired of the roguelike conceit of "unlocking" items to find them later and I was disappointed this is still in this game now. Unlocking Hero "Paths" via the candles instead of finding them along the journey also seems like a weird change but we'll see how that shakes out; for now I'm not even sure if it just becomes a chosen thing or if you still need to "find" them.

I was hoping there would be some retuning of some Stress/social link mechanics within your 4 heroes (why are we still doing the Call of Duty "you took my kill!!!" poo poo as a reason to add Stress amongst characters, it makes no loving sense). Somehow the worst of it is still from the stagecoach whilst moving around, and overall becomes so random that it adds little to the narrative. I once had one character ping pong between praise, making GBS threads on his friend, and back again within 10 seconds of riding in the stagecoach; if it's this random then it serves no real purpose besides annoying you. It was more manageable in prior updates but a lot of Stress-upkeep skills have been dramatically nerfed or had Stress qualities removed entirely. (Which honestly is another net negative---MANY skills were nerfed big time across the board in this update, to the point where anything that said 50% went down to 25%, and other values decreased a lot as well.)

This in turn creates little reason for going out of your way to fight "high risk, high reward" battles when it's just piling on more Stress after you've spent a few minutes driving down a road and somehow going from zero to like 5 or 6 stress on a character. At that point I don't want to chance a meltdown, and whittle down what little rep the characters have between them.

Another thing: it's still far more difficult to build up trust/friendships, which go up via a crawl, but characters making GBS threads on each other for every single thing builds up way too rapidly. Again, this seemed like it was turned all the way from 100 to 0, given how endless the banter was when the early access first came out. I'd be ok with it being in the middle since I'd at least have more characters forming a positive bond. It certainly makes me want to get the friendless, joyless Bounty Hunter in my squad ASAP but over 4 or so runs I have never seen or found him at an inn yet, and makes me wonder if it's really worth it investing valuable Candles in a character that we only see maybe 10 to 20 percent of the time.

Overall I know this is a complete rework of the game's guts, but I feel the devs second-guessed themselves a lot, maybe to an extreme, and did not bother to retune some problematically high-strung Stress events while panic-nerfing almost all the character skills on the board. Hopefully it gets readjusted a bit from the experimental branch because although it's supposed to be "making the best of a bad situation," a lot of player agency feels like it got taken away in terms of controlling Stress + weakening many other skills. No idea yet if the Candle mechanics will mean it's slower to upgrade poo poo but I'll see with a few more runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I agree with your concerns. It seems like the last few updates have made the game less fun. It's no longer a quick roguelike, but feels like a long RPG. As long RPGs go, it has much less character than Darkest Dungeon 1.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A few things:

Anything you unlock at the Altar of Hope you will get immediately for that run. Which means you can easily get 4 potential wagon upgrades at a time right off the bat, nice when they are among the rare and useful ones. If anything, a bigger criticism should be the fact that if you rolled some really good consumables/Inn items/trinkets early on then there's actually no incentive to unlock the rest, as you're just diluting your loot tables. It should probably be done in pairs like how quirk unlocks were previously.

Regarding stress management, it isn't as random as you think. Like in DD1 you have to pay attention to quirks. Needler, Tune Hummer, Bad digestion etc will do negative barks from time to time on the road. High stress can trigger more negative barks, as well as low torch light. There's inn items that are guaranteed affinity and you can use your inn items strategically to build relationships.

Altar upgrades give you lots of bonus opportunities for stress relief and affinity, you can unlock bonus money for hoarder visits, free healing/stress heal at Triage tent, and so on. The main big nerfs I've seen are paths and base stats which account for permanent upgrades you can get along the way. I can still regularly get 2+ heroes at max affinity by the second inn.

It's similar to the first game, where players paid zero attention to quirks, curios, torchlight, combat tactics, skills, or item properties then complained their heroes are freaking out and having tantrums nonstop.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Altar of Hope is okay. Its the same thing as hope farming, framed differently.

After not playing since the Act 2 update, I did runs last week and weekend. DD2 is a good game fundamentally. I still like the game. But with everything stripped away, the loss of accuracy from DD1 hurts DD2. Enemies are vastly more efficient than heroes. It's felt most with the new cultists and bosses. Debuffs can be counted but enemies will batter you with the rest of their bonus actions regardless. If heroes apply or clear debuffs, they waste a whole turn not dealing damage. It would be really helpful if enemies would simply miss sometimes. So the natural question is "how did I kill bosses before". I used items and death's door to get economy. Items give 2 actions and death's door nullifies enemy damage. An honorable mention to crits because they give two rounds worth of damage in one action but both enemies and heroes get those so they balance each other out. The lungs are good example of this where you kill it full bore and hope you have items or death's door tank. Its like "die now or die later".

Adding accuracy back into the game isn't the solution. A piece of the problem to the efficiency imbalance is debuffs because they nullify a hero's turn. Heroes have to either use an item (best case), waste an action clearing, or gamble on their action not being affected. However, enemies get more value from debuffs because they never miss and resistance is low. Heroes can't easily do the same because enemy resistances feel high (doubly true with bosses). Trinkets seem like the best way to help heroes but the trinket update made trinkets either worse or lolrandom stuff.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Finally went ahead and got DD2. I'm still figuring poo poo out, but fast and simple question: Are the quirks you can get from the Academic's Studies always negative? I might just be on a bumper run of bad luck, but I haven't got a positive one yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep trying.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

Finally went ahead and got DD2. I'm still figuring poo poo out, but fast and simple question: Are the quirks you can get from the Academic's Studies always negative? I might just be on a bumper run of bad luck, but I haven't got a positive one yet, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to keep trying.

They can be positive. I think at lower levels, you're more likely to get negative quirks, and each playthrough will unlock more positive quirks.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Chamale posted:

They can be positive. I think at lower levels, you're more likely to get negative quirks, and each playthrough will unlock more positive quirks.

Alright, thanks. So far everybody's walked away from them with a sudden desire to talk poo poo or steal, but if there's at least the possibility of a positive quirk that's something.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alright, thanks. So far everybody's walked away from them with a sudden desire to talk poo poo or steal, but if there's at least the possibility of a positive quirk that's something.

Friendship is really, really important, so I usually make a decision based on whatever will build the most friendships rather than the possible rewards.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

I like going to them a lot, as you have a chance of getting some very strong trinkets. Typically the tradeoff is stress, usually a negative quirk and a chance to get a good item. It's obviously a gamble and is also dependent on the heroes willingness to interact with the curio (for instance, melohobic quirk will make the hero refuse to interact with the gramophone curio).

In addition to some really powerful trinkets, there are also some strong consumables I think are only available-one can heal for a lot+clear DoT and another does 5 burn and 5 blight for 3 turns to an enemy.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I like going to them a lot, as you have a chance of getting some very strong trinkets. Typically the tradeoff is stress, usually a negative quirk and a chance to get a good item. It's obviously a gamble and is also dependent on the heroes willingness to interact with the curio (for instance, melohobic quirk will make the hero refuse to interact with the gramophone curio).

In addition to some really powerful trinkets, there are also some strong consumables I think are only available-one can heal for a lot+clear DoT and another does 5 burn and 5 blight for 3 turns to an enemy.

Yeah, now that I've got a few trinkets in my pocket I see the value of it. I won't go that far out of my way for em, as some of those negative quirks can be killers--getting Breacher on my alchemist PD was a brutal surprise--but it's definitely worth rolling the dice. And those blight/burn grenades are loving killer, I love those. Question: is there something special I need to be doing to get the Shambler to actually turn up? I know he's in the game, but I'm 0 for 3 trying to lure him out of his little altar. I'm guessing he drops some neat poo poo, and also, I just miss the big guy.

Finally tinkered around with the Bounty Hunter a lil bit, and I hate to say it, but I'm kinda bummed. The "temporary hire" gimmick is neat, but it means I barely ever use him--I've mostly been subbing him in before tough fights to be a straight meat shield, hiding someone I can't afford to lose on the bench--and while he's flexible enough to be tagged in, it can be hard to actually justify grabbing him when I've already got a good team. Plus, I just wanna play the fucker, y'know? He was my one of my favorites in the first game, so the ~limited edition~ vibe is a buzzkill. I love the concept, but I'm not sure it works for me.

And I really hate to say this, but he's the only miss for me in terms of character design/animation. He seems a bit...off, compared to everyone else. And in terms of his look, it feels like they were going for "stocky" or "geared up", but landed on "fat dude in a Halloween costume". As it stands, I'm hoping Red Hook 1) turns him into a regular character and 2) makes him eat a salad. I like having him beefy, but he's overshooting beefy by a few roast pigs.

e: Also, while I'm bitching about things, the Leper is a bit of a letdown. The low damage floor on Chop hurts, especially considering that you need to set his hits up. The blind mechanic makes him feel like an all-or-nothing slugger, so when he hits, I want the bastard to actually hit. There are a few trinkets that turn him into a legitimate monster--that cultist trinket that turns blind tokens into crits is niiiice--but I don't wanna bank on finding a trinket to squeeze damage out of him. Apart from saying cryptic weird poo poo, which admittedly is important and a huge positive, it feels like the Hellion does everything he does better, with less hassle to boot.

all of the above is of course subject to me just sucking and being bad, and also the game is fun as gently caress, so if you're on the fence about trying it don't let me be the negative nancy to talk you out of it

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 24, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Yeah, now that I've got a few trinkets in my pocket I see the value of it. I won't go that far out of my way for em, as some of those negative quirks can be killers--getting Breacher on my alchemist PD was a brutal surprise--but it's definitely worth rolling the dice. And those blight/burn grenades are loving killer, I love those. Question: is there something special I need to be doing to get the Shambler to actually turn up? I know he's in the game, but I'm 0 for 3 trying to lure him out of his little altar. I'm guessing he drops some neat poo poo, and also, I just miss the big guy.

Finally tinkered around with the Bounty Hunter a lil bit, and I hate to say it, but I'm kinda bummed. The "temporary hire" gimmick is neat, but it means I barely ever use him--I've mostly been subbing him in before tough fights to be a straight meat shield, hiding someone I can't afford to lose on the bench--and while he's flexible enough to be tagged in, it can be hard to actually justify grabbing him when I've already got a good team. Plus, I just wanna play the fucker, y'know? He was my one of my favorites in the first game, so the ~limited edition~ vibe is a buzzkill. I love the concept, but I'm not sure it works for me.

And I really hate to say this, but he's the only miss for me in terms of character design/animation. He seems a bit...off, compared to everyone else. And in terms of his look, it feels like they were going for "stocky" or "geared up", but landed on "fat dude in a Halloween costume". As it stands, I'm hoping Red Hook 1) turns him into a regular character and 2) makes him eat a salad. I like having him beefy, but he's overshooting beefy by a few roast pigs.

e: Also, while I'm bitching about things, the Leper is a bit of a letdown. The low damage floor on Chop hurts, especially considering that you need to set his hits up. The blind mechanic makes him feel like an all-or-nothing slugger, so when he hits, I want the bastard to actually hit. There are a few trinkets that turn him into a legitimate monster--that cultist trinket that turns blind tokens into crits is niiiice--but I don't wanna bank on finding a trinket to squeeze damage out of him. Apart from saying cryptic weird poo poo, which admittedly is important and a huge positive, it feels like the Hellion does everything he does better, with less hassle to boot.

all of the above is of course subject to me just sucking and being bad, and also the game is fun as gently caress, so if you're on the fence about trying it don't let me be the negative nancy to talk you out of it

Funny you mentioned Breacher-it's amazing on so many heroes, even heroes you don't necessarily want to be in rank 1 all the time. Most can make good use of the strength tokens and some paths go really well with it. I had a run with a Hellion+Leper both with Breacher at the start and I face rolled so hard that run because of it.

Shambler visit is just random. Used to be lucrative because they buffed his trinkets but now I think they buffed him a bit so he's not a pushover anymore. Be aware the polyps don't die with him and even when you kill him you have to finish the little dudes afterwards if they're still alive.

I haven't gotten around to trying the Bounty Hunter, haven't had time to play much and keep forgetting to recruit him in inns. But I HOPE his current role is a stopgap or they at least make it moddable to play as him with normal affinity like everyone else. If anything make it a candle reward like the capstone unlock for him is letting you use him at crossroads, which would he something to work towards.

Leper is really good, he's everything I wanted in Leper from DD1. He can taunt, tank hits and debuff enemies. The blind isn't as bad as it looks-it gets ignored vs combo enemies so works well as a follow up to skills like point blank shot or daemons pull which can combo by default. Hellion is great, but she's got a smaller health pool, and only carcass can get block tokens. Leper has not one but two non conditional stress heals (solemnity and reflection don't need 5+ stress to work) which lets you salvage stress when battles are winding down. His damage is swingy but that's OK because he's a meat mountain that can soak up ludicrous amounts of punishment.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Funny you mentioned Breacher-it's amazing on so many heroes, even heroes you don't necessarily want to be in rank 1 all the time. Most can make good use of the strength tokens and some paths go really well with it. I had a run with a Hellion+Leper both with Breacher at the start and I face rolled so hard that run because of it.

Shambler visit is just random. Used to be lucrative because they buffed his trinkets but now I think they buffed him a bit so he's not a pushover anymore. Be aware the polyps don't die with him and even when you kill him you have to finish the little dudes afterwards if they're still alive.

I haven't gotten around to trying the Bounty Hunter, haven't had time to play much and keep forgetting to recruit him in inns. But I HOPE his current role is a stopgap or they at least make it moddable to play as him with normal affinity like everyone else. If anything make it a candle reward like the capstone unlock for him is letting you use him at crossroads, which would he something to work towards.

Leper is really good, he's everything I wanted in Leper from DD1. He can taunt, tank hits and debuff enemies. The blind isn't as bad as it looks-it gets ignored vs combo enemies so works well as a follow up to skills like point blank shot or daemons pull which can combo by default. Hellion is great, but she's got a smaller health pool, and only carcass can get block tokens. Leper has not one but two non conditional stress heals (solemnity and reflection don't need 5+ stress to work) which lets you salvage stress when battles are winding down. His damage is swingy but that's OK because he's a meat mountain that can soak up ludicrous amounts of punishment.

poo poo, I misspoke on that, actually--Breacher is a positive trait. (A better example would've been when my ravager hellion got Cowardice. Jesus that sucked.) And, yeah, it can be awesome. I pulled a MAA with it and was very pleased making him a vanguard. So I guess my point is just wishing there was a way to remove positive traits. I'd rather not have my squishy PD play kamikaze, particularly when I didn't see their death wish coming and they aren't running surgeon.

Certain knowledge that he'd gently caress me up aside, I just really wanna fight the goddamn Shambler. I didn't buy this game to not be brutally killed by eldritch monstrosities. Having the fight guaranteed would be great; as it is, so far I've been burning torch and eating bad quirks for nothing but a case of blue balls.

I'd be down for spending candles to make the BH a permanent part of the roster. Again, he's flexible enough to fit most teams, but being able to build around him, instead of figuring out ways to slot him in, would be real nice. My "eat a salad" comment still stands. I do not want a guy with my body type entrusted with saving the world.

Leper is fairly versatile, but my beef with him is that he doesn't excel at anything, and he's not reliable. I've certainly had more luck with him as a tank than a damage dealer, but I've got better, easier options for both. I'm not too worried about stress--I'm usually running him with a Jester or a MAA anyways--and in terms of survivability, staying sane, and soaking hits, between adrenaline rush and revelry I've found the Hellion just about as good, if not better. His debuffs are solid, but nothing to write home about. Getting reliable hits out of him often requires two actions, and he's either competing for combo tokens or standing around doing shiny anime eyes in the meantime. Burning a token to get a feeble 6 damage sucks, particularly when the Jester that set it up can actually do more damage in the process, and while ruin can get you some real good thumping during boss fights, it's both slow and situational. There are a handful of trinkets that turn him into a consistent monster, which would be a far better recommendation if they turned up regularly. As always, the caveat that I loving suck applies, but even when I build teams around him, he's just not getting the job done consistently enough to warrant taking over somebody else.

e: That said, having somebody around to dish out weird poetry is nifty, and the fact that his teammates are consistently willing to gently caress a guy with leprosy brings me joy. He might have a horrible, infectious disease, but you can just tell that the guy is swinging heavy lumber.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 24, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Leper has a couple win win mechanics. For example, chop will only burn a combo token if the blind was gonna proc. So it becomes a 50% chance to keep the token and hit 100% of the time. Hew gets guaranteed hit on both targets even if only one has the combo token. Intimidate will still taunt even if it whiffs, purge will still clear corpses if it misses as well.

Pre nerf Tempest and Poet were both very potent (they toned them down to balance). Poet for example was stun and move immune making him grab proof vs Leviathan. With Solemnity+ he could heal 100% hp.

Ruin is situational but I hear you can make some lulzy ruin builds with him with trinkets and effects that just do a little damage proc on a particular trigger.

I typically take Chop, Hew, Intimidate, Withstand, and Solemnity. Sometimes I'll swap hew or intimidate for purge or reflection depending on enemy comps and stress. If I worry about wasting a chop with blind I'll use withstand to funnel all the damage and stress damage to him. He's got the benefit of being able to buff resists and has a big health pool, so it can be satisfying when Exemplar uses The Fall and it only does 6 damage and he resists the blight.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I usually run him with chop, solemnity, reflection, intimidate and withstand, with reflection getting subbed out for ruin on boss fights. Hew I find kinda eh--it can be useful, but my priority is almost always bursting down one enemy fast, so I'm not a fan of aoe except for token clearing--and I've almost always got better options for corpse clearing. Credit where due, the man's resist game does gently caress up the Exemplar's day, which is important on a moral level. I didn't know that about chop not eating the token if blind wasn't gonna proc, either; I refer to my earlier point about me sucking.

That notwithstanding, my experience with him is still that he take too much support to deal out unreliable bam, and I'd rather have a hellion in just about any situation. 75% of the time, his damage varies between "not good enough" and "garish overkill"--not that I'm against garish overkill--and while he's got decent overall utility, it's not enough to recommend him. To be clear, I'd take your word over mine on his value, since again, I ain't that good. I just find him overly difficult to work with given the payoff. Too much has to go right.

Honestly, raising the floor on chop would solve a lot of my problems. My feeling is that he needs a full-blown ecosystem behind him, and even then he's inconsistent. If I knew I was gonna get bang for my buck when he swings, I wouldn't mind bringing along his toolkit in the slightest.

Also, I'm not done speculating about his penis. To make it clear to everyone reading this thread: based on his sword he is definitely circumcised. Just throwing that out there. I want you to think about this every single time he's on screen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Also, I'm not done speculating about his penis. To make it clear to everyone reading this thread: based on his sword he is definitely circumcised. Just throwing that out there. I want you to think about this every single time he's on screen.

What did the leper say to the prostitute?
Keep the tip. _______________

I find that the Leper is one of the weaker classes, but he's definitely strong enough with the right quirks or path. When I'm choosing my party, I'm always looking for characters with a unique hero path, and then characters with a good quirk. If the Leper doesn't have either, he's not worthwhile, but with Breacher he's fantastic.

On an unrelated note, I got DD1 for the Switch and it runs extremely well. However, there are some buttons that I can't figure out how to press without the touchscreen.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Vs an enemy with dodge (particularly dodge+) you've got nothing to lose taking a swipe at them. That's what I like about hew, vs mashes like spiders you can always strip off dodge tokens and occasionally connect.

I use him as a tank that can occasionally deal burst damage. In longer fights the numbers game creep in his favor as the damage approaches the mean value.

Reflection and solemnity are underrated for their stress heal. Hellion and Man at Arms counterpart needs to be at 5+ stress but you can clear off a lot more of the lepers stress pool. This is significant because a lot of negative quirks have -affinity barks that will trigger at 4+ stress, so being able to get under that consistently is significant. Sure, a Jester can stress heal him for 3,but alternatively he can Encore and the Leper himself can solemnity then reflection for 5 stress, going from 4 stress to zero.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Is there any hint as to when Epic exclusivity ends? DD2 would be a perfect Halloween pickup but I'm really not trying to expand my Epic library.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Is there any hint as to when Epic exclusivity ends? DD2 would be a perfect Halloween pickup but I'm really not trying to expand my Epic library.

The release date on steam is February 2023, so probably then.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Panfilo posted:

Vs an enemy with dodge (particularly dodge+) you've got nothing to lose taking a swipe at them. That's what I like about hew, vs mashes like spiders you can always strip off dodge tokens and occasionally connect.

I use him as a tank that can occasionally deal burst damage. In longer fights the numbers game creep in his favor as the damage approaches the mean value.

Reflection and solemnity are underrated for their stress heal. Hellion and Man at Arms counterpart needs to be at 5+ stress but you can clear off a lot more of the lepers stress pool. This is significant because a lot of negative quirks have -affinity barks that will trigger at 4+ stress, so being able to get under that consistently is significant. Sure, a Jester can stress heal him for 3,but alternatively he can Encore and the Leper himself can solemnity then reflection for 5 stress, going from 4 stress to zero.

I'm trying to get talked into using him, because he's my favorite dude in terms of flavor, but the positives just aren't selling me. It's nice being able to consistently keep him under 4 stress, but that's only on him, and I've already got plenty of tools to handle it for the rest of the team--laudanum is cheap and plentiful, it never takes long for someone to eat that 5th point of stress so I can heal it, and, all of which besides, the relationship mechanics aren't that hard to keep under control if you're paying attention. I'm way less worried about how the team does in the coach than in the fights, and the big guy just doesn't seem to pull his weight there. (I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative, by the way. I, too, am pro-leper. It is my love for him that makes me so critical.)

In other news: the Exemplar remains a nail-biter, and even after the latest patch you're still gonna eat a lot of prelude->fall combos with no chance to intervene, but with good prep and careful play I'm finding him a lot more manageable. As it stands, I kind of consider him the final boss. If you can push through the first two locks the Denial fight isn't too hard, and if you're sensitive to the reach factor the Sigh isn't bad either. I've lost more dudes to the Exemplar than both of those combined. Burst the altar ASTAT, go hard on dodge/blinds/guards/taunts to mitigate the combo tokens, be ready to clear blights, and with adequate prayer it'll probably turn out okay. He can still go gently caress himself, to be clear, but it's very thirst-quenching to finally put him down.

Chamale posted:

What did the leper say to the prostitute?
Keep the tip. _______________

goddamnit

also: the shroud boss only ever grabs the person in front, yeah? and you can shrug it off with move resist? what does his mark ability actually do?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'd argue that in spite of his shortcomings Leper in DD2 is way more useful than he was in the first game.

Leviathan's grab tests against move resist. Immobilize doesn't help here-only actual move resist. His mark telegraphs what heroes are hit by Eye of the Storm, his big cleave attack. Since it only targets marked heroes vs everyone you can kind of plan around it like you can for dreaming Generals Walking Dead attack. Use MaA guard, reposition skills, block+ and dodge+ to nullify it as best you can.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Just to continue being contrary, I'll confess to preferring the Leper in the first game. With a Focus Ring he reliably landed big hits, and--of vastly greatly importance--he said way more weird artsy poo poo than he currently does in DD2. Reiterating what I see as his strongest positive, the fact that Literal Actual Leprosy doesn't stop anybody boning down with him is a font of great joy for me. I think he's probably more of a bottom, given his whole "self-sacrifice" thing, and you gotta respect the guy's pick-up game.

And thanks for the tips on Leviathan. He's the only region boss I still consistently struggle with, and I really like his animations, so being able to throw down with him more often is a plus.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think the thing is the Leper isn't the "big hit but might miss" guy in DD2, he's the "not going to drop until the very end tank". The Hellion is much squishier, but has huge hits and exhausts herself as a front liner. The Leper can hit big but not as big, but is much much harder to kill compared to her. The Man at Arms is the support front-liner who aids allies by being tanky and sort of is doing a combination of his own thing and the Crusaders thing from 1.

Basically if he had bigger hits, his self-heals would all have to suffer because his ability to keep himself alive is the best in the game. You can basically ignore him with buffs/allied heals and he'll keep himself up whilst your 3 other heroes do the damage and support eachother.

But also the game in general is definitely pushing towards synergistic team compositions over individual hero capability imo so the Leper needing a whole team behind his punch is intentional. You can build highly strong teams, and they'll do better than individually strong but lacking in synergy teams. Hence the main system in the game is the bonds/friendship system, in terms of actual success.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the thing is the Leper isn't the "big hit but might miss" guy in DD2, he's the "not going to drop until the very end tank". The Hellion is much squishier, but has huge hits and exhausts herself as a front liner. The Leper can hit big but not as big, but is much much harder to kill compared to her. The Man at Arms is the support front-liner who aids allies by being tanky and sort of is doing a combination of his own thing and the Crusaders thing from 1.

Basically if he had bigger hits, his self-heals would all have to suffer because his ability to keep himself alive is the best in the game. You can basically ignore him with buffs/allied heals and he'll keep himself up whilst your 3 other heroes do the damage and support eachother.

But also the game in general is definitely pushing towards synergistic team compositions over individual hero capability imo so the Leper needing a whole team behind his punch is intentional. You can build highly strong teams, and they'll do better than individually strong but lacking in synergy teams. Hence the main system in the game is the bonds/friendship system, in terms of actual success.
Exactly. And there's some fun synergies you can make as a result. For instance I find the best use of Command is on the Leper-he's likely going to be blind most of the time and a strength token on a hero with high peak damage. The cumulative damage of Crush+Blinded Chop will be less than Command+Strength Chop. So it's not really a wasted action to clear the blind off the Leper, and due to the speed differences the MaA will likely go before the Leper most of the time.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Am I weird for feeling like the biggest impediment to me enjoying this is the prospect of wasting the 10 or so minutes it takes to get through the valley?

The narrator's just repeating dialogue at this point, and it has the temerity to *slow you down* as he tells you for the fifth time how you found the patterns in the ancient mythologies, and I *just want to get to the actual game*.

Also why is the Altar of Hope *after* you choose your party?

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 31, 2022

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Am I weird for feeling like the biggest impediment to me enjoying this is the prospect of wasting the 10 or so minutes it takes to get through the valley?

The narrator's just repeating dialogue at this point, and it has the temerity to *slow you down* as he tells you for the fifth time how you found the patterns in the ancient mythologies, and I *just want to get to the actual game*.

Also why is the Altar of Hope *after* you choose your party?
I've complained about these things. The Valley is fine for a little tutorial, gives you a bit of everything. But it gets very repetitive. And having the altar after the crossroads means you can't try out heroes or paths you just unlocked until the NEXT run.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I hate how the opening narration now happens in a void. I liked it better when the narration happened as you travelled through the first area.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

New experimental patch: Obsession's Gaze

New act, boss, and narration
Per run, each char has a personal goal for candles
Zones have sub-biomes with visual effects
More regional modifiers
The Shroud: Heroes now have a low chance of healing 1 stress when the fog lifts

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
New narration spoilers:

That bastard, I knew he was involved.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So the story so far, and some wild speculation on my part:

The Academic meets the Protégé (you, the player) and talks about how brilliant you are. Both of you share an interest in the occult and research the Iron Crown, a mysterious symbol that transcends time and culture. You experience a breakthrough in your research but the Academic doesn't want to release the findings just yet-and in trying to stop you straight up burns down the library. In the wake of this you receive a letter from the Ancestor who somehow knew you were researching the occult? Him and his buddies quiz you about their knowledge and I guess you fall asleep; when you wake up the five guys are dead arranged in an iron crown construction. This just makes you even more upset about what's going on.

It's probably not a coincidence that we know the Ancestor murdered the Necromancers in their sleep. Could these five be those Necromancers? This also has me wondering if there's subtle hints about the protégé in the first game since they obviously knew each other!

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

New final boss guy spoilers: Goddamn, that's mean as hell. AoE and dodge removal and stress removal for the first phase, which ends...when you get all big eyeballs at once? And then I have no idea what to do for phase two. Massive group hit (which frequently crits) based on, I guess, the tokens you picked up from the first round, but I dunno how to remove those tokens, and it's a lotta goddamn damage. Pushed through with some big crits, but lost two people in the process. Thoughts?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

New final boss guy spoilers: Goddamn, that's mean as hell. AoE and dodge removal and stress removal for the first phase, which ends...when you get all big eyeballs at once? And then I have no idea what to do for phase two. Massive group hit (which frequently crits) based on, I guess, the tokens you picked up from the first round, but I dunno how to remove those tokens, and it's a lotta goddamn damage. Pushed through with some big crits, but lost two people in the process. Thoughts?

Make a tank draw aggro and the focus tokens when they are small, the big boy only attacks the one(s) with the tokens. If you play it right, only the tank will be in (a lot of) danger later on. He also has pretty low HP and no death's door.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Does anybody know if there's a specific trigger to actually get the Shambler to turn up when you use the altar? Something to do with light level, maybe? I go for it every time, but he barely ever shows.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Does anybody know if there's a specific trigger to actually get the Shambler to turn up when you use the altar? Something to do with light level, maybe? I go for it every time, but he barely ever shows.

Use a torch on it? I think if you just touch it, nothing happens. It also has a chance to just randomly attack you anywhere at no light.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

OzFactor posted:

Use a torch on it? I think if you just touch it, nothing happens. It also has a chance to just randomly attack you anywhere at no light.

Oh poo poo, I meant for DD2. I very much had the opposite problem with the Shambler in the first game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I'm still unable to beat the Exemplar and honestly I'm about this close to giving up on the game. I am clearly not Gud enough and burning three hours at a time only to lose to the Exemplar basically regardless of party just...feels bad, especially because I'll have to do it again on the Mountain?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
You only have to fight it once now, at the end of the third region. Neither of the cultist fights in the mountain have Exemplar anymore.

Helps to have a tank taunt the Exemplar to absorb prelude/fall combo. If possible, weak and blind help a great deal here too. Try to kill the shrine to prevent it from being sacrificed.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Exemplar isn't so bad but not easy either. Any defensive or taunt helps. Its relative to how beat up you are prior to seeing him.

I find the game boring. Not easy boring. Just either smooth and boring or bad rng, can't win boring. Its not enough exploration and not rewarding for playing adventurous.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Hey. Looking for some gameplay advice. Being playing DD1 on darkest difficulty. On the verge of quitting.

Current situation is - I find every easy/medium mission a tedious grind with very little challenge, and every single time I start a hard mission I get immediately hosed, losing a guy within the first 2 fights.
I think I got through some hard missions earlier in my campaign without issue, tried the first DD run and got destroyed and since have just gotten obliterated multiple times in a row.
Every time I end up having to grind more medium missions to get some guys back up to resolve 4/5. These medium missions I usually walk out with full hp/0 stress. They are tedious.

I typically to set up my teams with:
- At least 1 stun, probably 2, skill leveled as high as I can go.
- At least 1 dedicated healer, occultist or vestal with chirugeons charm.
- At least one "Tank" e.g. crusader with the 25% prot head item.
- At least one target access option (bounty hunter hook, occultist pull)
- At least one unit which can do stress healing. Usually crusader (My one good jester died in my first hard foray).
I'm usually going in with gear at rank 5 weapon/4 armor or 4/4

Classes I generally favour are bounty hunter/graverobber/occultist/crusader/houndmaster
e.g. I think the last setup I ran was:
Occultist/Graverobber/BH/Crusader
Skill wise, occ had pull/vuln mark/heal/the other debuff spell. Graverobber had dagger/tonic/blight dagger/shadow fade. BH had flashbang, hook, basic melee attack and mark. Crusader had the self mark+prot/smite/spear/stress heal.
I'm keeping torch level in the 100-75 range. I really can't think of anything else I can improve about my setup. My approach to targeting in combat is basically to pick the highest threat target and try to focus it down, always trying to leave frontline enemies with high prot for last to squeeze out more healing rounds at the end.
Is there anything wrong with what I'm describing here? Pretty frustrated.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Make sure you have your weapon armor and skills at max. There's a bigger jump in enemy stats at champion difficulty. Self mark feels like more of a liability for Crusader, too many dangerous anti mark abilities for enemies to throw at him. Tanking doesn't really work reliably in DD1. You need to make sure your accuracy/stun/debuff/etc chance is decent, because all the enemies have higher resists (and dodge).

Doing medium length is ideal-if you have a few tough fights you can just camp earlier on. And it's also prudent to use nighttime ambush protection if you have it.

There's a medicine retrieval quest in weald that is available in apprentice or veteran difficulty, completing it gives you free use of the sanitarium. Take advantage of this to clear off bad negative quirks and diseases. Every little bit helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Do you really need to optimise it that hard to survive a hard mission?