Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Sammus posted:

Can you make people of color in Star citizen’s character creator?

I feel like that’s something that probably got overlooked in development because they knew their audience would never try it.

They are still unable to make hair properly, but maybe another 10 years and 500mil will address that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.random
May 7, 2007

What if they replaced spectrum with Quanta AI-generated posts that’s different for everyone? Citizens can post to it, but only they will see their own posts. The Quanta AI will respond to Citizens’ posts, of course, but since each Citizen sees their own version of Spectrum, other Citizens won’t see the replies either.

This will also have the benefit of training the Quanta language models.

In fact, this can lead to in-game reputation and relationship building with those quanta, while also playing off of and building on the quanta’s own inter-quanta relationships!

This feels like a solution that benefits everyone. Also no rainbows.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

.random posted:

What if they replaced spectrum with Quanta AI-generated posts that’s different for everyone? Citizens can post to it, but only they will see their own posts. The Quanta AI will respond to Citizens’ posts, of course, but since each Citizen sees their own version of Spectrum, other Citizens won’t see the replies either.

This will also have the benefit of training the Quanta language models.

In fact, this can lead to in-game reputation and relationship building with those quanta, while also playing off of and building on the quanta’s own inter-quanta relationships!

This feels like a solution that benefits everyone. Also no rainbows.

Ok, added to list of things CIG need to build. 2 weeks!

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

The Titanic posted:

I think the best thing so far is the hope that cig is about to roll out an auto-mod system that will inevitably backfire and ban heavy backers and let everybody know even more that all cig really wants is your money, not your words or opinions or you even playing the game.

In fact I think the "Make a Post" button on the spectrum or whatever it is called just goes directly to the "Donate now!" payment page and people can just pretend to post the same way they pretend to play the game.

I'd laugh if they implemented a $10 ban repeal option, but I suppose gatekeeping posting like that would make their pathetic community yet smaller.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Does the game exist yet, and has anyone called it Shart Shitizen yet?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Stay awhile and listen to my taxxe:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Bargearse posted:

Does the game exist yet, and has anyone called it Shart Shitizen yet?

:toot:

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

It’s everything I hoped for and more

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

You thought the paint stuff was done just cause they locked yet another thread asking for it?
Well think again you woke agenda pushing colorful freak!

"I'm tolerant of weird people and I avoid politics, but please don't push colored or gay rights in my games with no way to avoid them."

Including gays but excluding those who hate them is bigotry and not inclusive.
Thankfully Popper's paradox of tolerance already took care of your rant citizen, go read it.

See above, also you racist fucks crying about freedom of speech are always amusing.

Just pick the non gay rainbows! Also SC community is apolitical :lmao:

That's what happens when you spew bigoted poo poo, man up and stop crying.

CIG totally deleted innocent messages discussing rainbow ships, it's not like I have screenshotted all of them and can easily disprove this bs.

Bonus from :reddit:

Glad we'd do this again so soon! :bisonyes:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 25, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Has someone set the thread slider to "No Pgabz"?

Set it back to "Heaps of Pgabz" please.

:pgabz:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I'm terribly confused. Didn't all these people already swear the last time (Pride Month) that they were disgusted by CIG's pandering and that therefore they were leaving or not spending any more money? How many times are they going to threathen to stop paying yet continue to do so like the hateful little paypigs they are?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Ah yes, science fiction, a genre that is well known for its lack of any novel ideas and that never dared to be political or being critical of existing society or culture, a genre well known for NOT exploring alternative radically different fictional worlds, societies or futures and so on.

I think I understand what attracts these people to grey poorly thought out blandness of SC, they see their own reflection in it. Also, a complete lack of moderation and thus being able to be abusive and bigoted in-game.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 25, 2022

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

FishMcCool posted:

I'm terribly confused. Didn't all these people already swear the last time (Pride Month) that they were disgusted by CIG's pandering and that therefore they were leaving or not spending any more money? How many times are they going to threathen to stop paying yet continue to do so like the hateful little paypigs they are?

They're weak. They've paid for their imaginary status in the community they like and feel they belong to (although if any of them starts doubting the Holy Word of Chris they'll get eviscerated as traitors almost immediately).

Or this is a clever ploy by CIG to get rid of the fascists.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Very subtle dogwhistle in the thread title.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

:stoked:

"Do you say human rights triumphs religious and political?"

Gay and trans rights aren't found in the lore, so nope!

Big brain moment: a tolerant and inclusive society is one where no one can express themselves and we all look the same, that way no one can discriminate.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 25, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Am I the only one avidly waiting for Monocle Cat's 423987 words novel on rainbow paintjobs?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Whatever happens, he'll go out of his way to assure you he's not a bigot, he just has, y'know... concerns. Bank on it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Here I sit, brokenhearted
Paid to Cit but only sharted

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Gay and trans rights aren't found in the lore, so nope!

Not a lazy excuse:
- uh, it's a film or TV series thing I guess?
- yeah, you know it... it... it's actually what a famous serial killer wore, yeah.

Lazy excuse:
- people have access to paint in a range of colours

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

FishMcCool posted:

Am I the only one avidly waiting for Monocle Cat's 423987 words novel on rainbow paintjobs?

Sadly that never happened...

BUT

He said that he owns 4 accounts, some of which are "poor accounts" that seem to have more bugs.
Be suitably impressed!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Paaarrp.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Sorry, I couldn't control myself for a moment.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think to be fair to cig, lots of games have this same kind of problem with players.

I think CIGs biggest issue is they have their social media types focused on making sure nobody bad talks or questions anything cig does to make sure the game looks perfectly acceptable.

They aren't used to having to deal with the social platform that other game company have to worry about. Hopefully this will help get them back on track and realize that they have a community full of people with different opinions who all collide and they need to carefully navigate those waters.

Without the fight against a villain to perpetuate their "us vs them" war, all the fights are going to just be "us vs us". If only they had Derek back to help realign the masses and target an external boogie man again. :cheerdoge:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
this is your brain on 8 hours / day of SC

.random
May 7, 2007

FishMcCool posted:

For all the madness of monocle cat, I don’t think he’s ever really been amongst the bigoted SCers, which I respect. I’d rather have a thousand monocle cats than one “what? I just called you a bundle of sticks :angel:” rear end in a top hat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
8 hours a day playing Star Citizen I cannot imagine putting myself thru that, absolutely brutal.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Popete posted:

8 hours a day playing Star Citizen I cannot imagine putting myself thru that, absolutely brutal.

I'm inclined to believe they're massively overstating that number for credibility, status or simply lying to themselves.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sandepande posted:

I'm inclined to believe they're massively overstating that number for credibility, status or simply lying to themselves.

I just figured it was about half an hour of playing, 2.5 hours of doing other stuff while the game is running (or reloading after it crashed), and 5 hours reading/posting about it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Popete posted:

I mean, you probably spend 4 hours commuting on the train/dying in elevators and 3 hours manually loading up boxes in your cargo hold with a few resets for accidental ramp interactions. By the time you get to the cockpit, it's probably time to call it a day and leave the rest of the fun for the next session.

.random
May 7, 2007

Popete posted:

If 8 hours a day is all you can commit to the game, don’t expect to be able to do all the things. Don’t worry - it’s a living, breathing universe with things for players of all skill levels to do, even if you’re only able to put in the bare minimum time and money investment like you.

You just might need to get used to the idea that you won’t be leaving the planet - or if you do, it’ll have to be for a very special occasion and with an understanding of the opportunity cost for doing so. These are the kinds of tradeoffs I’m tired of having washed away by casual gamers from World of Snorecraft.

Star Crittenden isn’t supposed to be “all things to all people” like WOW tries to be. Instead, it’s all things to SOME people, and different things to OTHER people, and that’s how it should be. I’m tired of the “entitled generation” of gamers who believe that their wants to “participate” mean that everyone should have a watered down experience.

So yes, if you’re only willing and able to commit 8 hours and sub-Legatus pledge level, you should learn to accept that not all doors will be open to you, but that’s ok. With the ‘Verse as big as it is, you’ll have plenty of restrooms to clean and packages to deliver no matter which planet you decide to call home. And if you don’t like it? Well, a few months of work and another couple months of travel aboard a Starliner and you can be just about anywhere in the ‘Verse, in style. You might even be able to find a ship going your way and save the money by volunteering to crew it, if you’re willing to have an extended play session once in a while.

The only limiting factor in the ‘Verse is really how you choose to view your place in it. So the next time you whine about not having enough time to enjoy some content because you have “other responsibilities,” maybe try to truly take responsibility for your own actions and realize that you’re CHOOSING to only dedicate 8 hours a day, and CHOOSING not to spend more than $1000 on the game. And if you choose that, more power to you. But stop blaming CIG for your choices, and stop asking all of us to suffer for them as well.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Calling Star Citizen an MMO like other MMO's is just plain wrong... i'ts nothing like other multiplayer games. If you don't understand that then the premise for any discussion is moot. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are not 'games in development' like other game studios would develop, it is being built as a franchise from the ground up. People often rightly remind detractors that CIG are making two games, but even that is selling it short - they are building the tools to make at least 4 games (all of which are in partial development simultaneously) with the potential for churning out many more after that. There are other stories that can be told as well as navy pilot. It would be better to compare GTA I to V to Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Think of how little the GTA mechanics and AI have changed despite the decades and billions of dollars.

Arguing that Bethesda started with an existing workforce is true (and existing infrastructure like offices and hardware, IT staff, HR staff etc), but more importantly they started with an already tried and tested game engine which has been upgraded little for Starfield, so not only did they start with more staff, those staff already had years of experience working with that game engine. Bethesda are not pushing the technology much beyond what already existed, you'll find that out pretty soon, what they are making is more akin to Chris' original SC version planned for release in 2016. If you can mod Skyrim V then you can mod Fallout New Vegas... the paradigm will not have changed for Starfield, those who already know how to use the Skyrim Creation Kit will know how to mod Starfield. Again, years of development on that game engine, billions of dollars of revenue over decades and yet technologically it's barely changed since 2012.

Those who talk about the money CIG has raised in 10 years blissfully ignore that in real game terms that is chicken-feed. PUBG mobile takes in $8 Million PER DAY! $4.5 Billion in 2021 alone. This is the first year that Star Citizen/Squadron 42 will break $100 Million / year. Do see you the makers of PUBG adding free massive game changing upgrades year after year for no extra cost to existing players?

If you spent $45 on Star Citizen the day the PU was released on 23rd December 2015 and you play it regularly that means you have paid $0.55 per month with no fees for access to the multilayer... and you can look forward to all expansions and upgrades for free as long as the game(s) remain unreleased.. now tell me again how important it is to you that CIG release a 'finished game', because every time you do, you show you don't really understand or appreciate what we have, and far more importantly, what we will have in the future - for no extra cost to the players!

In order to hold CIG to account, as they critics would like to say, you have to at least have a firm grasp of reality first and an attention span beyond the next clickbait title. Too few of the noise-makers have that. Think of what they are actually saying "No, no, no I gave you my $45+ I want that 2016 limited scope game you promised now! (and thereby force it on everyone else too). Stop all this 'cost me nothing extra' research and development to improve my game experience! I don't want free upgrades to the game for decades. I don't want more and more free content that can be made while we wait for the core pillars to go in".

...you sound like fools.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Welp, can't argue with that.

(Because it's just sophistry.)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
If only piss cat understood what a promise is and what people were told long before he came to the table.

Such an amateur mistake! :)

People have been being told for years that both games are weeks, not months away.

They had developers talking about how they played it and it was great.

Chris indicated that things would "get stale" after like two years.

"Answer the call 20xx"

Videos for Sq404 that showed tears, which were supposed to be when it was "released".

And that gaslighting has not let up for over a decade now, and is so powerful that even piss cat will write up a book talking about now the 4 games cig are making and how great they are or some nonsense. :)

So what about the Kickstarter promises? What about all the other promises?

Do they not count because you will them not to count because "that would have been a lesser game"?

Like... what? :)

Here's what will happen piss Kitty: you will get bored of defending star citizen development long before either game is released in any official capacity. And after you will be another dumb person who may have different fetishes that you have who will take your place and say the same dumbass things people before you were saying.

Here's the only reality you need to come to terms with: cig only wants your money.

They don't care about making a great and fun game because it's nothing near either of those now.

Chris is not a perfectionist in any sense of the word because all he can have his teams focus on is to barf out another piece of half as prototype mod to his already broken mod... and never make it fully work or function.

Answer the call.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Not to mention the most damning thing of all is that this whole charade is supposed to be the game Chris wants to play and he's building it for himself more than for the supporters...

But good loving luck finding him playing it ever.

Good loving luck.

Because he doesn't, never has except once, and never will again. The one time he did was most likely the first time he himself actually played it instead of watching a video of someone else playing it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I like the idea that Bethesda has an advantage because their staff are familiar with the Creation Engine.

Didn't CIG literally poach Crytek staff? If those people weren't actually familiar with Cry Engine 3, then the delays start to make a lot of sense indeed.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
"we have a number of reporting/monitoring improvements in the works"

They had a completely custom social forum built years ago... and they're still doing moderation by hand :sad:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The most infuriating thing for me is when they count each episode of Squadron 42 as a separate game. Like do the Life is Strange people get to count every chapter as a separate game? Also, what is this "developing four games at once" poo poo? If you're making an episodic game shouldn't you make one at a time?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

The most infuriating thing for me is when they count each episode of Squadron 42 as a separate game. Like do the Life is Strange people get to count every chapter as a separate game? Also, what is this "developing four games at once" poo poo? If you're making an episodic game shouldn't you make one at a time?

I think this is another coping mechanism.

How can a studio that big screw up making a game over 10 years?

How can they be constantly lapped by Egosoft?

Must be because they're actually making dozens of AAAaaAaaaaaaAa games!! That must be it. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
And at the end of the day, sq404 is a level based space game where the levels are separated by fps sections. Some with fps combat, some not.

This is not exactly something that should take a decade to make.

How do they do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Star Citizr metagame
A42 game for sure