Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Randler posted:

With only working half days and not having to work during school holidays, I guess staying healthy becomes a lot easier. :shrug:

well, definitely not for my german colleagues op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone who goes to work while actually unwell is an idiot.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Is mal wieder soweit.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Hopper posted:

i don't think anyone disagrees with this op.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hopper posted:

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always unwell!"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Randler posted:

I still find occassional blood splatters from my last Kreislaufkollaps-induced impact with the floor, so I hope all these American "Kreislaufkollaps is a myth" gentlemen enjoy the go-getter nature of America and its very affordable and leistungsorientiertes Gesundheitssystem.

:ohdear:

Years ago I had some kind of Kreislaufepisode or something when getting out of the shower and ended up face-first on the bathroom floor. Scared the absolute gently caress out of me, probably had a concussion but my dumb FOtB rear end didn't go to the doctor at the time.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

mcbexx posted:

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always unwell!"

:yeah:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Randler posted:

With only working half days and not having to work during school holidays, I guess staying healthy becomes a lot easier. :shrug:

lol geh kacken.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just lol if you don't stretch your vacations from 6 to a minimum of 10 weeks per year by generously calling in sick. Imagine not calling in sick at the slightest feeling of discomfort, lmao.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/carrienicanri/status/1584576553887105031

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

FACT CHECK:

Is it cringe to take romantic pictures on Oberbaumbrücke: TRUE

Does Oberbaumbrücke reek of piss to an overwhelming degree: FALSE

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Last time I was forced to go to Berlin in took about 30 minutes until I saw somebody just pissing right on the sidewalk in broad daylight, and there there was a lingering piss odor in other places as well. Not sure whether it's a lack of public toilets or Berliners just loving to piss on things, but it sure was noticeable. :shrug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I know this isn’t the language thread but when did Y become I in words like “hain”? I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin that calls itself Kirchhayn. It was probably named around 1843.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Last time I was forced to go to Berlin in took about 30 minutes until I saw somebody just pissing right on the sidewalk in broad daylight, and there there was a lingering piss odor in other places as well. Not sure whether it's a lack of public toilets or Berliners just loving to piss on things, but it sure was noticeable. :shrug:

Was this still in the vicinity of the central station? Because it might just be a thing about central stations. Bremen Hauptbahnhof greets visitors to the city with a lovely odor of piss and smoke from the asshat smokers crowding all the exits. Hamburg used to be the same.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
There are two options in Berlin: either someone pisses on you, or they want you to piss in their mouth

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/BMVg_Bundeswehr/status/1584459290185990144

Check out this incredibly weird Statuenensemble KSK gönniered themselves in their Kaserne

50:50 chance that it's actually spraypainted troops

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1584641718049464320

Ok, so I've noticed that there are some increasingly apocalyptic commentary on the state of the European economy and predictions about Europe being turned into some kind of wasteland in the next few years, and its a talking point popular among an eclectic group of people who seem to swarm around ideologies like isolationist American nationalism, European nationalism (often of the fascist variety), pro-Russian triumphalism and Tankie inclined Leftism. Like this guy wrote the book 'Fully Automated Luxury Communism' which seemed to be popular with Leftists for a while so he's not nobody. I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

Crossposting this from the Ukraine thread since it directly concerns Germany.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I know this isn’t the language thread but when did Y become I in words like “hain”? I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin that calls itself Kirchhayn. It was probably named around 1843.

Before 1901 there were no codified spelling rules for the German language, so it’s probably just that somebody felt like writing it with a y on the day the name was decided.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Grendels Dad posted:

Was this still in the vicinity of the central station? Because it might just be a thing about central stations. Bremen Hauptbahnhof greets visitors to the city with a lovely odor of piss and smoke from the asshat smokers crowding all the exits. Hamburg used to be the same.

In the discord someone talked about a piss tunnel in Berlin and we had to go through several rounds of “do you have any idea how little this narrows it down” before just posting google maps coordinates

There’s also this

https://youtu.be/A5c07_AUuNc

“Ich will meine Cola riechen, nicht Pipi”

(The Café was since torn down)

Zwille fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 25, 2022

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Dir is Peelin

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019

Zwille posted:

piss tunnel in Berlin

The Chemnitz equivalent is called Bazillenröhre :D

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

khwarezm posted:

Ok, so I've noticed that there are some increasingly apocalyptic commentary on the state of the European economy and predictions about Europe being turned into some kind of wasteland in the next few years, and its a talking point popular among an eclectic group of people who seem to swarm around ideologies like isolationist American nationalism, European nationalism (often of the fascist variety), pro-Russian triumphalism and Tankie inclined Leftism. Like this guy wrote the book 'Fully Automated Luxury Communism' which seemed to be popular with Leftists for a while so he's not nobody. I know that the next few years will be tough, but is there much value in predicting the end of Europe as an economic power like I'm seeing these people do?

nobody has any idea what will happen, that guy got 300 likes on a bad post, who care

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/hrtgn/status/1584784449560285185?s=46&t=zUMOZiuMmAgiL-wgTxZ2Dg

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I wanted to find out what the Jugendwort of the year was when I was still Jugend, but uh... :negative:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugendwort_des_Jahres_(Deutschland)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mmmmm, verbrannter Toast.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tarquinn posted:

I wanted to find out what the Jugendwort of the year was when I was still Jugend, but uh... :negative:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugendwort_des_Jahres_(Deutschland)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8BCvEGvyA&t=4s

khwarezm posted:

Twitter users barely count as sapient, and I generally don't take economic ideas from lichen. Taking GDP at face value is already bad economics.

Europe is going to go into recession, which should be obvious as long as industry depends on carbon fuels. That's a hit to global competitiveness compared to regions sitting on top of ample fossil fuel supplies. But that's not the end all be all of economics, and there are plenty of other factors than just energy costs that are relevant to industry.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Antigravitas posted:

Twitter users barely count as sapient, and I generally don't take economic ideas from lichen.
cross-stitching and framing this

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/robert_kiesel/status/1584810897998229504?s=46&t=zUMOZiuMmAgiL-wgTxZ2Dg

hope they just ban all cars from inside the S-Bahn ring

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Just literally decimate cars imo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Guess we could save some gas by not heating the Verwaltungsgericht Berlin. We all have to pitch in imo

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The elevators at the Ostbahnhof had constant issues because people would piss inside them / at them. To the point where the electronics in the pit would stop working.
Also, try to convince an elevator technician to go into the elevator pit to fix things when it’s reeking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you posted a literal lie! it's in the quoted post!

that was pure truth, face the truth

KonvexKonkav posted:

Do you have your TV in standby a lot? That can take a lot of energy.

Hot drat, I just remembered I put my TV and my consoles on a Kippschalter for that reason! I have to remember to actually use that thing more in the future

Hopper posted:

Yeah they find all kinds of ways to circumvent the standby rule. Don't leave anything on standby. The only thing that needs to be on 24/7 is your DSL Modem, if you have a land line phone attached.

The exception is if you go on holiday, of course. My cat doesn't need internet or phone, so I'll cruelly switch off another Kippschalter that kills the Modem while I'm gone. My neighbor who takes care of my cat when I'm gone also doesn't need my internet/phone either, so all is good!

Edit:

One of my aunts takes this to the extreme, if she leaves the apartment for more than a couple hours, she'll even open the breakers and rip out the physical cables from the sockets, until only the fridge is left running.

Antigravitas posted:

Losing my data would be extremely catastrophic. That's basically my life's worth of creative output, photos, code, etc.

It's kept in triplicate for that reason.

The rest exists so I can play the music I bought everywhere. That one is important, it's good loving music.

I outsourced data storage to Google. It only costs me ca. 2 bucks per months and it keeps my own energy bill down. (Plus it's less work than dealing with data storage myself. I have a new SSD lying around somewhere for months now, always too lazy to actually put it into my PC. That's the level of competence you can expect from me.)

Hopper posted:

A couple of the last weeks were nuts at work, and I did this to not lose any more hours after multiple OPs plus Covid this year. Of course I promptly got karmic revenge when my Erkältung turned into a nasty Husten that wouldn't let me sleep, so now I'm at home shoveling antibiotics anyway. So yeah, don't work if you're ill. (Also I think another colleague who did the same thing was the one who actually infected me, for some reason bosses never take infection spread into account when they tell you to just power through your little sniffles.)

Goa Tse-tung posted:

nobody has any idea what will happen, that guy got 300 likes on a bad post, who care

the data is also wrong, Germany had rising GDP until very recently, and our stagnation auf extremely hohem Niveau is predicted to end at something ridiculous like minus 0,2-0,4% at the end of 2022

basically, that right end of the graph is fully made up, as according to the time line at the bottom it for some reason thinks our GDP started dropping late 2021/early 2022 and then just went on dropping, the exact opposite of what happened

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Kirchhain in Hesse was first mentioned in 1352(so most likely it's quite a bit older) and Wiki cites it being called Kirchhain in 1807. No mention if it was spelled differently before that, but Kirchhayn was likely founded by Kirchhainer who wanted to sound a bit more English.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Libluini posted:

I outsourced data storage to Google. It only costs me ca. 2 bucks per months and it keeps my own energy bill down. (Plus it's less work than dealing with data storage myself. I have a new SSD lying around somewhere for months now, always too lazy to actually put it into my PC. That's the level of competence you can expect from me.)

I do not trust Google even slightly. It's too common for Google to just lock your account for no reason, and you have absolutely no recourse.

Rsync.net is good, though.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Antigravitas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC8BCvEGvyA&t=4s

Twitter users barely count as sapient, and I generally don't take economic ideas from lichen. Taking GDP at face value is already bad economics.

Europe is going to go into recession, which should be obvious as long as industry depends on carbon fuels. That's a hit to global competitiveness compared to regions sitting on top of ample fossil fuel supplies. But that's not the end all be all of economics, and there are plenty of other factors than just energy costs that are relevant to industry.

Industry will always depend on carbon fuels hth

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

goethe42 posted:

Kirchhain in Hesse was first mentioned in 1352(so most likely it's quite a bit older) and Wiki cites it being called Kirchhain in 1807. No mention if it was spelled differently before that, but Kirchhayn was likely founded by Kirchhainer who wanted to sound a bit more English.

The founders of the church in Kirchhayn WI almost exclusively came from the Stettin area of Pomerania, if that makes any difference. Family names like Rusch, Gurgel, and Bintz still attend there.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

morothar posted:

The elevators at the Ostbahnhof had constant issues because people would piss inside them / at them. To the point where the electronics in the pit would stop working.
Also, try to convince an elevator technician to go into the elevator pit to fix things when it’s reeking.

Surely you mean Westkreuz op

https://youtu.be/2scdB4li7dI

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Antigravitas posted:

I do not trust Google even slightly. It's too common for Google to just lock your account for no reason, and you have absolutely no recourse.

Rsync.net is good, though.

I'm already lost, weep for me. The Google Datenkrake has me in its many tentacles: I'm using Google for everything: Half my emails, data storage, uploading videos on YouTube, everything

I even gave them my smartphone number so they can restore my access if I lose it. All my Google-crap is then also bound to another, unrelated email account just in case my phone is lost / the number is changed

But if Google wanted to, they could definitely make my life a living hell.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

Just literally decimate cars imo.

That's just a 10% reduction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Exactly. It's meant to set an example. Once you do a day of decimating at the city entrance, word of your deeds will spread and lead to a reduction in traffic.