Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

ssb posted:

Things get goofy if you don't have 3 identically sized monitors with the same resolution and I wouldn't recommend it. That said, it'll still work probably, in some games better than others.

Yeah, I'm aware it might get funky, I'll just run everything at 1080p for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
As long as the resolution matches it will run, but if the overall sizes are different they won't line up at all

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I ran iRacing on two 24 inch 1080p and a 27inch 1440p and it basically lined up okay, was a pain in the rear end to get working right thought.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I bought some pedals and it came with a voucher for 3 free months of iracing for someone who starts a new account, would anyone here like it? I'm already deep into it so can't use it and happy to pass it along to someone whos been thinking about it but hasn't signed up yet. All I ask is that it gets used and not redeemed and then ignored.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Fellblade posted:

I ran iRacing on two 24 inch 1080p and a 27inch 1440p and it basically lined up okay, was a pain in the rear end to get working right thought.

This will line up, but yeah needs a lot of hacking to run mismatched resolutions (especially with Nvidia GPUs) and there is a performance hit in the process too.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Honestly, there are 27's out there that are cheap so maybe I just grab 2 of those and run all 3 at 1440. If that overloads my GPU then I'll drop down to 1080. I know I'm trying to half rear end budget it but I think I can make it work without dumping $1500 on a full cockpit right now.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Any recommendations for a USB handbrake? I ordered one with decent reviews on Amazon and it turned out to be total junk, the screws wouldn't fit in the mounting board and it was clearly a different brand from what was shown in the ad. I think a simple clamp design would work best for me considering my limited space near my shifter.

Edit: Also, I ended up getting that shh shifter recommended on the last page, and it arrived earlier this week. Have only gotten to try it out once, but it's pretty awesome so far, thanks for the recommendation! Having an actual sequential shifter has been pretty awesome for Dirt Rally 2.0

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 20, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Time to help you lose money again. Fanatec has one, and it has a mount and is probably the one you'd think makes most money sense since typically amazon goes 70'ish->fanatec 130. but then you have to buy their big beautiful usb adapter and table clamp adapter and rail adapter so its actually 200+ dollars lol. at that point you might as well say gently caress it and buy an aiologs brick for 250 and never think about it again. Never used it personally but it was on my list when I was thinking of getting one vs heusinkveld (which I ended up getting and which owns but is impossible to clamp). They're based in russia tho, so dunno if they got their payments sorted but glancing at their site maybe they have. Though they do have resellers around the world you could buy through. There is of course other brands like bj sim racing, vnm and so on but I can't think of a clampable one off the top of my head not to mention its got a small footprint. Dunno about what you're clamping it to vs the forces involved tho.

So for those reason I'd just look around amazon/aliexpress/ebay again unless you want to drop like 100-200 more dollars. You won't be able to make aluminum profile creak or rip your table apart though :colbert:

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 20, 2022

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

reversefungi posted:

Any recommendations for a USB handbrake? I ordered one with decent reviews on Amazon and it turned out to be total junk, the screws wouldn't fit in the mounting board and it was clearly a different brand from what was shown in the ad. I think a simple clamp design would work best for me considering my limited space near my shifter.

Edit: Also, I ended up getting that shh shifter recommended on the last page, and it arrived earlier this week. Have only gotten to try it out once, but it's pretty awesome so far, thanks for the recommendation! Having an actual sequential shifter has been pretty awesome for Dirt Rally 2.0

I have the older version of https://heusinkveld.com/shop/shifters-handbrakes/new-sim-handbrake/ and it's great, seems like the new one is more expensive though

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a second (different Amazon listing) handbrake and had the same problem, screws don't fit the mounting board at all. Gonna try my luck with the Aiologs next once all these refunds get processed.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

So I got the triples to work, after some tweaking of the ini files. They didn’t line up great but it still looked cool. My GPU can’t handle it though, it was running at almost 200F so I shut it down. I might just look into an ultra wide since that won’t require three renderings and destroy my PC and save me the money of buying a new video card.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Douchebag posted:

So I got the triples to work, after some tweaking of the ini files. They didn’t line up great but it still looked cool. My GPU can’t handle it though, it was running at almost 200F so I shut it down. I might just look into an ultra wide since that won’t require three renderings and destroy my PC and save me the money of buying a new video card.

Ultrawide is pretty nice, even better if you can get some head tracking to give you just that little bit of extra fov.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Douchebag posted:

We’re you running it in windowed mode stretched over the monitors? That’s how I did it, I’m pretty sure that was a single render since I was running a 970 at the time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What gpu are you using? My 1070 had zero issue running triples. And I think I used a 960 or something before that. Just turn down some of the fidelity.

(Note this was at 1080)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you're specifically talking about iRacing (as it was mentioned up thread, not sure if it was by Douchebag though) then past experience probably isn't accurate any more as the last year or so of updates have impacted performance quite a bit. I used to be able to run 1080 trips on an RX 580 for instance, but that hasn't cut it for a while now.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

tater_salad posted:

What gpu are you using? My 1070 had zero issue running triples. And I think I used a 960 or something before that. Just turn down some of the fidelity.

(Note this was at 1080)

Running a Radeon RX 5700. It is nowhere near top of the GPU food chain at this point. I was getting 59FPS, and my GPU temp was ticking off around 198-200 so I shut it down. This was in a test session. Dropped into an ARCA practice with about 10 cars on track and it still ran smooth but I could hear the fans kicking into jet plane mode.

I had it setup for 1080P, followed some YouTube video on how to setup the DX11 ini files with the right numbers to calc for 1080P and it looked pretty good, there is no way it could have handled 1440. Now, I had a center 27" and 2, 24's on the side. Did it line up perfectly? No, probably a half inch off but I wanted to test things out to see if triples were possible.

I think my options budget wise are to go with an ultrawide. But, having done some reading last night I don't think it's going to get me much more of a FOV unless I go with a 49". I'd like to be able to see past the drat mirrors on the side of the car a little more LOL. 49" should not tax the video card as much I would expect since it's a single render even at a greater resolution..

In reality I'm going to need to upgrade my GPU.

Fellblade posted:

We’re you running it in windowed mode stretched over the monitors? That’s how I did it, I’m pretty sure that was a single render since I was running a 970 at the time.

Maybe? Not really sure to be honest.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I dunno how going ultra wide is going to save your GPU though, it's still trying to render x pixels.

I think there's a check box for 'render each display separate' maybe uncheck that and see how it works.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's some overhead with doing the matrix transforms multiple times, which is why VR has the option to do two pass rendering instead of rendering each eye independently. Either way, you GPU should not get that hot under load.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Douchebag posted:

Running a Radeon RX 5700. It is nowhere near top of the GPU food chain at this point. I was getting 59FPS, and my GPU temp was ticking off around 198-200 so I shut it down. This was in a test session. Dropped into an ARCA practice with about 10 cars on track and it still ran smooth but I could hear the fans kicking into jet plane mode.

drat amd cards don't give a gently caress. if its already maxing the fan out, given there is sufficient flow through the case then the fancypants solution is to sacrifice a few percent of performance and undervolt

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

drat amd cards don't give a gently caress. if its already maxing the fan out, given there is sufficient flow through the case then the fancypants solution is to sacrifice a few percent of performance and undervolt

I went down a rabbit hole of upgrading my GPU, which would require a new PSU, so then I might do an ultra wide because in reality I don’t have the room for triples and this all led me to spending too much money so for now I’ll ride out the single monitor through the holidays. Will be watching for BF day deals though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Having used both triples and an ultrawide, the latter is a great compromise between fov and space, and 21:9 resolutions are also supported by most modern PC games without issue.

A 34" ultrawide is the same height as a 27" 16:9, so I wouldn't go smaller than that.

e: and if in the future you say "gently caress space" and want to get silly, you can slap a pair of 27" 16:9s on the ends of the ultrawide :pcgaming:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shine posted:

Having used both triples and an ultrawide, the latter is a great compromise between fov and space, and 21:9 resolutions are also supported by most modern PC games without issue.

A 34" ultrawide is the same height as a 27" 16:9, so I wouldn't go smaller than that.

e: and if in the future you say "gently caress space" and want to get silly, you can slap a pair of 27" 16:9s on the ends of the ultrawide :pcgaming:

What FOV were you able to use with an ultra wide? I’m running a 60 FOV with a flat 27” and it’s honestly fine, I’d just like to get a little more on the sides and if an UW can do that, cool.

I’m probably getting a 34”, I can fit a 49 but not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Douchebag posted:

What FOV were you able to use with an ultra wide? I’m running a 60 FOV with a flat 27” and it’s honestly fine, I’d just like to get a little more on the sides and if an UW can do that, cool.

I’m probably getting a 34”, I can fit a 49 but not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now.

I don't recall, as I've been 100% VR simming for a couple years now. Also worth noting that fov will vary depending on how close my face is versus yours, any personal preference tweaks I apply, blah blah blah.

It's not gonna be an earth-shattering increase, as we're talking about 30% more physical horizontal space (assuming your ultrawide is the same vertical height as the monitor it's replacing, ie 34" ultra vs 27" standard), but it was enough for me. Personally, I paired the ultra with simple head tracking to better look into turns and such.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Real life is starting to look like sim racing

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1586834658028703744

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Holy poo poo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao somehow the reasoning behind it is even better than the actual move

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1586851910878957574

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can't stop laughing at this

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1586851910878957574

Haha holy poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sim Racing fans can now no longer argue that this isn't realistic. :getin:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Eagerly awaiting the Ross Chastain iRacing update to make the walls grindable on ovals

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Let me know when someone does an overcrook to kick flip off the outside wall to win the summers Eve 400.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The takeaway from racing sim YouTube will definitely be that the devs of Real Life should have nerfed this obvious bug years ago and that their failure to do so is endangering the sanctity of the sport.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
RBR update now has soft lock per car apparently, and a lot of mod tools been coming out or announced for it recently to more easily edit pace notes/create maps. Pretty good. Also I spent money like a good lil piggy and got sprints lol. I think it was fanatecs fundamentally being floor pedals in design that pissed me off forever. Terrible ergonomics for my big rear end feet. An absolutely pain in the rear end baseplate design tho, they should throw whoever designed it into a river.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like EA has killed project cars.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I thought SMS did a perfectly fine job of that themselves.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Homeless Friend posted:

RBR update now has soft lock per car apparently, and a lot of mod tools been coming out or announced for it recently to more easily edit pace notes/create maps. Pretty good. Also I spent money like a good lil piggy and got sprints lol. I think it was fanatecs fundamentally being floor pedals in design that pissed me off forever. Terrible ergonomics for my big rear end feet. An absolutely pain in the rear end baseplate design tho, they should throw whoever designed it into a river.

Any way to run RBR in VR? I don't have a monitor on my rig at the moment and miss the game :sweatdrop:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There is a VR mod built into the most recent RSRBR.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Any way to run RBR in VR? I don't have a monitor on my rig at the moment and miss the game :sweatdrop:

You can but if you're saying you have no monitor at all I don't think you can boot into it, unless you can somehow pull off some true nerd poo poo. I'd just get a 10 dollar goodwill monitor to boot windows. btw if you have no vr headset to begin with, and you don't mind the wire, there are reverb g2's on ebay that I'm pretty sure are cosmetic defect/refurbs for like 200. i sidegraded to one of those suckers from a OQ2 and it kicks rear end, you can set it to default launch steamvr instead of windows bloated POS launcher.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Nah I have a monitor, it's just that my sim setup isn't at my desk because I do iracing in VR so it's a few feet away where it fits in the room better. Unfortunately it restricts me to VR only games with the wheel which is a bummer.