Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Couldn't even give Yaz a loving hug at the end. Shameful and disappointing.

That said, man oh man I hope yall are on board for Russel T Davies Big Gay Agenda cause shits about to get camp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Infinitum posted:

That said, man oh man I hope yall are on board for Russel T Davies Big Gay Agenda cause shits about to get camp

Big Gay Dave's Big Gay Tardis Ride

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Camp and maudlinly emotional, but at least we know what we're going into. This is the guy who brought us Rose and the Doctor being twee and insufferable to everyone around them (Tooth and Claw) and Jesus Doctor. And ending every season on ridiculously higher existence ending stakes.

But like Moffat, when he's good, he's amazing, and he knows how to write characters.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Well yeah, I mean there'll be good and there'll be bad.

But RTD's career post Who has been nothing but impressive to me, Years and Years, It's A Sin, Cucumber, etc. are even more impressive than the work he was making prior to Who. So I'm hopeful that he's got that energy when making the show.

It'll be him in a more family mode though, of course, but I don't mind that.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
One thing I'll say for Russell The Davis is that he loving hates tories, and it's going to be really interesting to see the contrast between 2005 RTD Who - which was made in a cultural and political context that is very different to where we are now - and 2022 RTD Who.

I'd really love to see a bit of that 80s Who spirit back. One of the reasons I quit Chibnall's Who is that, for all its good decisions and good intentions, it nevertheless often managed to come across as anodyne and trite. I don't need Doctor Who to be the Full On Marxist Power Hour - at the end of the day, it's obviously entertainment first - but RTD has always had fire, seems to have more of it at the moment, and I'm hoping that comes through in the show.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Chris Chibnall Dour Hour

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Barry Foster posted:

One thing I'll say for Russell The Davis is that he loving hates tories, and it's going to be really interesting to see the contrast between 2005 RTD Who - which was made in a cultural and political context that is very different to where we are now - and 2022 RTD Who.

Let the RTD vs RTD2 wars begin

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if RTD the 2nd is going to be a more behind the scenes guy and less a writing guy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm looking forward to 2025 when we're all mad at RTD again and talk about how we always hated him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm looking forward to 2025 when we're all mad at RTD again and talk about how we always hated him.

2025? I'm betting we'll be there by February somehow.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

New Logo

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

And a new streaming platform.... but probably not the one you were expecting.

https://decider.com/article/doctor-who-heading-to-disney-plus/

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Perfectly fine with this, it's the best logo after all :D

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Can we keep the scarf that the Master dug out of the Tardis too?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

Disney Plus? RTD2? Sounds like a Doctor Who/Star Wars cross-over is only a matter of time!

(I think that’s a joke?)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flight Bisque posted:

I thought this was announced a while ago...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's a Sin was absolutely incredible television and reminded me that RTD at his best is one of the best television writers in the world.

Holy poo poo, it's the 70s again! :dance:

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

I love the animation emphasising the negative space arrows.
Also I notice the description using the 🔷 emoji which I imagine will be the new norm.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Everything old is new again.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Random Stranger posted:

I thought this was announced a while ago...

Was it? I thought it might have been but I also thought it was just everyone assuming it was going to happen regardless because haha content acquisition goes brrrr

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Flight Bisque posted:

I'm hoping this means we'll get the new episodes sooner and not like it is on HBO Max now where it's months before they show up.

That said, I'll probably have to get a trial of AMC+ so I can see Jodie's finale. I've been fine waiting so far but this epiaode sounds too good to wait for Max to decide to upload it.

Shiftypenguin fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 25, 2022

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Personally wishing Tennant was 10.3(?) this time around, rather than 14.

10.1 - Who 9 regenerated into.
10.2 - When 10.1 regenerated into himself in The Stolen Earth, creating 10.1.1 the Meta-Crisis Doctor as a side effect.
10.3 - Is now a third take on the same version.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It'll turn out that every single human in history was actually a chameleon-arched Doctor. Rose? The Doctor. Sarah Jane? The Doctor. Professor Marius? The Doctor. Shakespeare, Leonardo, Nero? All the Doctor.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Because it was inevitable the full length would get slapped together...

Hrm. Is it not possible to spoiler a youtube video?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Flight Bisque posted:

Was it? I thought it might have been but I also thought it was just everyone assuming it was going to happen regardless because haha content acquisition goes brrrr

I definitely recall getting annoyed that it was another thing that Disney+ was slurping up and it being one more reason to drop HBO Max (this being before they had a bunch of other reasons to drop HBO Max). But maybe it was in one region and now they're announcing it's all regions or something like that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, that sucks.

:filez:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just in my time of watching Doctor Who it has gone from Netflix to Amazon to HBO Max and now Disney+

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

I definitely recall getting annoyed that it was another thing that Disney+ was slurping up and it being one more reason to drop HBO Max (this being before they had a bunch of other reasons to drop HBO Max). But maybe it was in one region and now they're announcing it's all regions or something like that.

I believe it was that Disney had expressed interest, which was notable because Doctor Who would be the first big franchise on D+ that isn't a Walt Disney Co property. But I think I and a lot of others dismissed it as a rumour for that same reason.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
Niche issue affecting Republic of Ireland viewers:
The show is coming to Disney+ everywhere the service is offered... except the UK and Ireland, as the BBC will of course be showing it there. However, BBC iPlayer is unavailable in the Republic of Ireland. This means that the new episodes will be available legally on VOD everywhere except the Republic of Ireland, where you will have to see it live.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Payndz posted:

It'll turn out that every single human in history was actually a chameleon-arched Doctor. Rose? The Doctor. Sarah Jane? The Doctor. Professor Marius? The Doctor. Shakespeare, Leonardo, Nero? All the Doctor.

And this all came as quite a surprise to Count Scarlioni, that's for sure.

I'm pretty sure Donna is the one and only exception. Not sure quite how that happened... timey wimey, I guess.

Speaking of the chameleon arch, it'd be a great surprise to find out a Time Lord used one to become a member of a non-human species and then converts back. Sontaran or Zygon would be interesting options.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Having finally watched this I gotta say, everybody saying that this is Chibnall's best kind of baffles me. It's maybe the most incompetent episode he's ever written, and that's saying something. It feels like it was originally a regular length episode that got padded out by everything happening twice. We meet with the traitor Dalek twice, despite the fact that it would be more economical and more interesting to just have the Doctor ambushed by an in-the-flesh Dalek that doesn't want to exterminate her. The Master is captures by UNIT, then handed over to the Doctor, then handed back to UNIT. There's even two entirely separate methods of bringing back previous Doctors! The script should never had made it out of the room in this condition.

Also, it sure is a choice to write the Doctor out of her final episode halfway through, and then in an episode full of regenrational trauma have the thing that finally regenerates her be a big space laser.

I'm wondering how much of the good reception is in how much Chibnall is aping his predecessors here. The Master teaming up with the Daleks and Cybermen as a new planet appears in the sky is very much like a RTD finale, and the incidental detail about 13 famous paintings vanishing could be the setup for a Moffat finale.

I guess if you can't deliver quality television, blatant fanservice will do (and I did enjoy it) but this episode was about on par with everything else of its era, ie. really bad.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
It's absolutely people being so excited about 10 minutes of fan service (and the musical scene) that they're willing to forgive 80 minutes of poo poo, real Stockholm Syndrome stuff

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

ookiimarukochan posted:

It's absolutely people being so excited about 10 minutes of fan service (and the musical scene) that they're willing to forgive 80 minutes of poo poo, real Stockholm Syndrome stuff

OK yeah, the Ra Ra Rasputin scene was good, but I think that just reinforces my point about ripping off RTD (and apparently Peter Harness too).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My assessment in the moment was "chaotic mess, but fun" and I stand by that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It was an episode full of a bunch of weird half-formed ideas, some dropped plot points and others that seemingly went nowhere or were just straight up abandoned... but it was also a ton of fun and extremely enjoyable to watch, with a great ending (All things that Chibnall's era had been sorely lacking) which largely made those problems pale in comparison for me. A good ending to a drab era of missed opportunities.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The episode did not, at any point, invent a fun mascot for Space Amazon and have the Doctor geek out over it, and that's more than you can say for the rest of the era

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it does kind of show that Chibnall doesn't really understand what his predecessors did that got people interested. Moffat has the tightly plotted puzzle box stuff where what seems like continuity errors are actually clues planted for the observant, almost custom designed to get social media buzz and people swapping theories. RTD does big bombastic stuff where it's less important if the plot points make literal sense and more if the emotional throughline does, which lends itself to your YouTube shipper AMVs and tumblr gif sharing.

And both are more broadly satisfying because Moffat wants you to either feel clever for working it out or impressed at how clever he is, and Rusty wants you to be sobbing or beaming. I'm not sure what Chibnall wants the audience to think/feel during his run, honestly.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Please stop characterizing Moffat this way. Literally only his first season was an actual puzzle box. Every season afterwards (except sort of his last), regardless of quality, was about setting up a puzzle box and then revealing what that mystery said about the characters and their relationships. Sometimes this stunk on ice (s6) and sometimes it gave us peak television (heaven sent/hell bent). But he never sincerely tried the S5 trick again, which was much more similar to an RTD season anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gaz-L posted:

I believe it was that Disney had expressed interest, which was notable because Doctor Who would be the first big franchise on D+ that isn't a Walt Disney Co property. But I think I and a lot of others dismissed it as a rumour for that same reason.

Between then and now they'd gotten rights to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for some regions (which is good news for the Bohemian Rhapsody fight, according to people who have only heard what the Bohemian Rhapsody fight's actually like third-hand), so the Doctor Who news is now both more believable and less exciting for that reason.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

CommonShore posted:

My assessment in the moment was "chaotic mess, but fun" and I stand by that.

Jerusalem posted:

It was an episode full of a bunch of weird half-formed ideas, some dropped plot points and others that seemingly went nowhere or were just straight up abandoned... but it was also a ton of fun and extremely enjoyable to watch, with a great ending (All things that Chibnall's era had been sorely lacking) which largely made those problems pale in comparison for me. A good ending to a drab era of missed opportunities.

I'll admit, it took me an hour to get bored of it and that's more than the show has accomplished in recent memory.

Gaz-L posted:

I think it does kind of show that Chibnall doesn't really understand what his predecessors did that got people interested. Moffat has the tightly plotted puzzle box stuff where what seems like continuity errors are actually clues planted for the observant, almost custom designed to get social media buzz and people swapping theories. RTD does big bombastic stuff where it's less important if the plot points make literal sense and more if the emotional throughline does, which lends itself to your YouTube shipper AMVs and tumblr gif sharing.

And both are more broadly satisfying because Moffat wants you to either feel clever for working it out or impressed at how clever he is, and Rusty wants you to be sobbing or beaming. I'm not sure what Chibnall wants the audience to think/feel during his run, honestly.

Thinking about the comparison a bit more, maybe the fact that this episode is in conversation with the rest of the revival is why people are liking it. It's a bad episode of Doctor Who, but it does at least have the cadence of Doctor Who as opposed to whatever the hell has been on television for the past four years.

As an aside, as someone who's recently become a New Adventures stan I have very mixed feelings about how this episode uses Ace and the support group scene that I want to write about once I finish the current book, because it seems relevant.

Also, random though: a Kaled angry that the Daleks have betrayed the purity of the Kaled race is maybe the best idea Chibnall's ever had and he just tossed it out for one scene.