Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I would just not. You can fuse them normally and that already feels a bit OP but at least is within the confines of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Neo Cadenza is a clown skill

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I would just not. You can fuse them normally and that already feels a bit OP but at least is within the confines of the game.

Yeah I didn't do it because the game already seems like it lets you flex SP a bit more naturally. Definitely doesn't feel like the before/after SP Adhesive 3 that the original was. By the time I'm fusing some level 90 persona I'm already stupid overpowered and being more stupidly overpowered is at least some extra fun to have at that end. I don't care about getting OP from the start but getting a free OP persona ruins the fun of building your own OP (for its place in the game) stuff.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mailer posted:

Can you actually summon them from the beginning? I haven't tried, because jesus them is some busted demons, but one comes with VC and you could fuse it down to turn the game into P4G.

You always could ever since Royal was released.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

This was probably discussed when Royal came out the first time but they seem to have re-done some of the clunkiest lines from the original localisation, like "a scum" and "those who were preyed upon by you" (which I remember complaining about way back when the original came out). It's a pleasant surprise since I don't recall the translation quality getting that much attention at the time

Still lots of little errors with prepositions, words not used quite right, stuff a better editor would catch, plus the usual translated-from-Japanese tics like passive voice overuse, 'such an X/such a Y' all over the place, but overall it sounds much more natural now

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Really dumb question I'm sure, but do you have to re-unlock the ability to use the stealth/hiding mechanic after the very intro of the game?

I've just gotten through the majority of the tutorial, up to unlocking the day to day stuff and about ready to head back into the first palace, but for whatever reason outside of the very beginning of the game I haven't been able to do the whole "hide behind things and advance through a room." It's been years since I played the base version of the game on PS4, so I can't remember if I just need Morgana to tell me about it again, or if I'm supposed to be doing something to bring up the prompts :v:

You'd think I'd remember since I played the beginning part of the game on Sunday but uh.. apparently not

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Really dumb question I'm sure, but do you have to re-unlock the ability to use the stealth/hiding mechanic after the very intro of the game?

I've just gotten through the majority of the tutorial, up to unlocking the day to day stuff and about ready to head back into the first palace, but for whatever reason outside of the very beginning of the game I haven't been able to do the whole "hide behind things and advance through a room." It's been years since I played the base version of the game on PS4, so I can't remember if I just need Morgana to tell me about it again, or if I'm supposed to be doing something to bring up the prompts :v:

You'd think I'd remember since I played the beginning part of the game on Sunday but uh.. apparently not

Yeah it will unlock a bit further in.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HaB posted:

Yeah it will unlock a bit further in.

Ah ok, figured as much!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

am i imagining it, or is there a hidden indication in Royal of when you've gained enough points for the next rank in a confidant? the music notes sparkle and make an extra noise sometimes and i at least feel like it correlates to not needing further point gains.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Yes there is an additional sound effect on confidant notes when you are ready to advance to the next level with them. It’s noticeable with the hierophant especially because it’s a bit before you can level them up (if brewing coffee early on you only get the basic point sound but that’s it)

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I've been running into issues with P5R on Steam, I was having major FPS drops during Shibuya/Yongen/Central despite running on a RTX 3080. I was really confused for a bit since my card had even been able to handle Strangers of Paradise and that game is a performance poo poo show.

For anyone else facing those issues, download GPU Z and check the Bus interface tab. My card had been running at x4 PCle 1.1 which meant I had to take my GPU out of the mobo slot and put it back in. Once I did that, the game's smooth.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Spiffster posted:

Yes there is an additional sound effect on confidant notes when you are ready to advance to the next level with them. It’s noticeable with the hierophant especially because it’s a bit before you can level them up (if brewing coffee early on you only get the basic point sound but that’s it)
wow, please don't tell me this was in the original and i failed to notice during my 1.5 playthroughs of it lmao

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The map screen also shows when a Confidant is available to level versus when they are not.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Amppelix posted:

wow, please don't tell me this was in the original and i failed to notice during my 1.5 playthroughs of it lmao

They kinda bleed into each other, you have to be actively paying attention to it. If you didn’t know to listen for it you’d probably just move right along

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I never noticed it before but do notice now, if it's not new then I wonder if it's ironically more noticable because of the PC version's weird audio distortions.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Amppelix posted:

It was definitely in Royal on the PS4. I've no idea if it was in the base game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Where do I sell all this loot in picking up in dungeons? Is it an unlock?
In royal I mean. In p4 all the shops were also buyers

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HootTheOwl posted:

Where do I sell all this loot in picking up in dungeons? Is it an unlock?

Its the airsoft shop which you unlock when you get the first deadline for dungeon 1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Its the airsoft shop which you unlock when you get the first deadline for dungeon 1

Do I need to get his confidant up? I don't have the guts yet to ask him about the bag, and was surprised when I stood him the medal because I didn't think he was buying stuff

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a big "sell" option in his shop menu

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I have found a bug then

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HootTheOwl posted:

I have found a bug then

To be clear, you're not seeing the yellow option at the bottom here?

Because if so, that's very strange.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arist posted:

To be clear, you're not seeing the yellow option at the bottom here?

Because if so, that's very strange.

Nope!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

In Royal it's time locked or something, you get it a little bit after selling the medal to him I think.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Lord_Magmar posted:

In Royal it's time locked or something, you get it a little bit after selling the medal to him I think.

Looking at speedruns of Royal, you can sell the moment you can buy from him.

Can we see a screenshot of this?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I restarted the game and it appeared. Weird.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Will Power is such a top tier song. Even on my third playthrough of Royal (and two of Strikers) I still start head banging the moment it starts up.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If you're getting slowdowns then try messing with thread affinity in task manager, it is a common problem with console ports. I think I read somewhere that this helps for Royal.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm pretty sure they weren't intending it to be, but one or the funnier parts of 5 is sae coming up with increasingly ridiculous pretenses under which she's interrogating you about the various confidants lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Amppelix posted:

i'm pretty sure they weren't intending it to be, but one or the funnier parts of 5 is sae coming up with increasingly ridiculous pretenses under which she's interrogating you about the various confidants lol

The devs are cowards for not doing it when her own Confidant starts, lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Amppelix posted:

This is even funnier to me if you're dating Makoto.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

This is even funnier to me if you're dating Makoto.

I just unlocked her confidant last night. Was pretty disappointed that there was no mention of the relationship between the two of them when the interrogation popped up.

Missed opportunity imho.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

I just unlocked her confidant last night. Was pretty disappointed that there was no mention of the relationship between the two of them when the interrogation popped up.

Missed opportunity imho.

Because any direct mention would involve lying to Sae because you're not gonna snitch on your pal Makoto to her sister.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Because any direct mention would involve lying to Sae because you're not gonna snitch on your pal Makoto to her sister.

You absolutely do snitch on Makoto, it's just in-between flashforwards

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

You absolutely do snitch on Makoto, it's just in-between flashforwards

That really doesn't work, Sae works it out but you have to deny that they're the thieves because the whole point of the thing is the one person you do tell her about is Akechi, who isn't your ally. If you tell her who your allies are instead of denying her speculation she arrests the lot of you.

So yeah, Joker ain't a snitch, he just isn't good at hiding who he's talking about and Sae is smart enough to think it through without needing direct names.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't see a real difference between telling Sae that Makoto's a Phantom Thief and telling her that you gained a "new ally" who by the way is Makoto. Because that's what you do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

I don't see a real difference between telling Sae that Makoto's a Phantom Thief and telling her that you gained a "new ally" who by the way is Makoto. Because that's what you do.

It's the difference between "Makoto is a phantom thief who helped us take down a crime boss" and "I was approached by the class president of Shujin Academy to perform a change of heart, during which I gained a new ally". That's why Sae asks who these people are who did things for you, because your recollections do not name names, only what actions you did and where you moved around. It's enough for her to suspect people, but it isn't a confession and you're not meant to be naming people directly at all in that sequence since you are still being interrogated to find out who your accomplices are and how you performed your crimes. You describe the latter in more detail than the former.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's the difference between "Makoto is a phantom thief who helped us take down a crime boss" and "I was approached by the class president of Shujin Academy to perform a change of heart, during which I gained a new ally". That's why Sae asks who these people are who did things for you, because your recollections do not name names, only what actions you did and where you moved around. It's enough for her to suspect people, but it isn't a confession and you're not meant to be naming people directly at all in that sequence since you are still being interrogated to find out who your accomplices are and how you performed your crimes. You describe the latter in more detail than the former.

When you choose your protagonist name at the beginning of the game, it’s framed as you signing a confession. Honestly, it’s mostly bad writing. Even the pointless dialogue responses aren’t really consistent about whether you’re being evasive or cooperative. Sometimes you get evasive options, sometimes you’re pretty much forced to play along.

You can probably just add this weird little scenario to the pile of reasons not to have a silent protagonist.
They could have at least had Sae do that weird anime thing where they consider allowed a particular revelation. That’s sort of Sililoquy style thing you see a lot. It would be clumsy, but at least it would be referential.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

BurningBeard posted:

When you choose your protagonist name at the beginning of the game, it’s framed as you signing a confession. Honestly, it’s mostly bad writing. Even the pointless dialogue responses aren’t really consistent about whether you’re being evasive or cooperative. Sometimes you get evasive options, sometimes you’re pretty much forced to play along.

You can probably just add this weird little scenario to the pile of reasons not to have a silent protagonist.
They could have at least had Sae do that weird anime thing where they consider allowed a particular revelation. That’s sort of Sililoquy style thing you see a lot. It would be clumsy, but at least it would be referential.

Yeah, you're forced to sign a confession of your own actions as the ringleader of the Phantom Thieves. Then Sae starts an interrogation (that she's not supposed to be doing) to find out how you did it, and who helped you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Perhaps the entire flash-forward framing device sounded cool but stopped making sense pretty quickly and should have been dropped in a revision.