Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Night10194 posted:

They did that to me and instead just wiped out like 1/2 of their own attack force and made the rest panic after one of them got shot at the outset by an AoE blast, died, and exploded in the midst of their troops as they funneled in.

It was incredible.
Yeah, the assaults got a lot more manageable when I gave some of the peasants (like I said, secondary base) LACCs with WP rounds and just started unloading down the corridor into the access lift.

Nuebot posted:

I don't know if I'm just missing the point of them, but reaper kind of sucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Peasant Revolution is my favorite way to play Piratez.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Reapers are absolutely amazing and are, imo, easily the strongest of the WotC classes, especially on harder difficulties where information is so powerful.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Nuebot posted:

I don't know if I'm just missing the point of them, but reaper kind of sucks?

Quite possibly the best thing to say to whip a dormant thread into a frenzy, 10/10 good work sir.

Allow me to swallow the bait: They do the whole 'ranger stays hidden' thing but far far better, and are able to assist here and there without having to opt out of the concealment. Losing a single squad member to be able to flawlessly game the vision system and only pop pods when you're ready to ruin them is hella good, and once leveled the reapers can bring a terrifying amount of pinch firepower with Banish. Meanwhile they're popping claymores and environmental hazards, and their "shots that kill a guy won't raise the visibility meter" skill is much better than it seems: your roll to lose concealment is done before attempting to raise the meter, which means in it's default state it's 0% and that skill lets the reaper shoot from the shadows with impunity (as long as he's killing).

It's been hashed over a lot, and the harder you play the game (e.g. legend/ironman) the more and more carrying the Reapers end up doing.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Also if you're crashing constantly, you might be trying to play with mods for base XCOM2 that haven't been updated for WOTC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Serephina posted:

Quite possibly the best thing to say to whip a dormant thread into a frenzy, 10/10 good work sir.

Allow me to swallow the bait: They do the whole 'ranger stays hidden' thing but far far better, and are able to assist here and there without having to opt out of the concealment. Losing a single squad member to be able to flawlessly game the vision system and only pop pods when you're ready to ruin them is hella good, and once leveled the reapers can bring a terrifying amount of pinch firepower with Banish. Meanwhile they're popping claymores and environmental hazards, and their "shots that kill a guy won't raise the visibility meter" skill is much better than it seems: your roll to lose concealment is done before attempting to raise the meter, which means in it's default state it's 0% and that skill lets the reaper shoot from the shadows with impunity (as long as he's killing).

It's been hashed over a lot, and the harder you play the game (e.g. legend/ironman) the more and more carrying the Reapers end up doing.

Also, they get a huge movement and larger than normal crit bonus, so a laser sight goes a long way to fixing their normally weak damage as its really easy for reapers to run right up next to enemies without consequence.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Reapers are like a cheat code for mission timers, it's great

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Serephina posted:

I can't remember engaging with the stealth mechanics a whole lot the first time I played the game ages ago, I was really bad at it. I'd always get detected pretty much right away then just murder everything. I think most of my strategies involved using the melee guys to chain melee everything to death? I'm very simple, is what I'm getting at. I'm willing to accept I'm just reaping poorly at this point, I also can't seem to make the most of their environmental or explosives skills because every time I throw out a bomb, the enemies just walk away before the reaper can shoot it next turn. And enemies seem to rarely stand in the radius of environmental explosives too unless lured there by soldiers who I don't want to friendly fire. Banish is a neat skill though, I got to make use of that last night. But it still felt like I'd be better served with a sniper.

Bogart posted:

Also if you're crashing constantly, you might be trying to play with mods for base XCOM2 that haven't been updated for WOTC.

Getting the mod loader helped fix most of my crashing issues! Turns out I did have a few super outdated and conflicting mods. My game crashing during the occasional, but not every, overwatch shot is still a mystery but it's not frequent enough to cause me strife yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, Reapers basically let you push ahead very aggressively (mostly) without having to worry about bumping into a patrol before you're ready, even after you've gone loud. Absolutely worth the squad slot, especially on higher difficulties.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
As I put it, 90% of your "Oh poo poo!" moments in Xcom2 are either moving forward and activating a pod on your last move, or charging forward to flank an enemy and activating a new pod in the middle of a fight (and possibly on your last move).

Having a ranger that never leaves concealment lets you avoid 90% of those situations in return for a 15-20% reduction in firepower, and is still often worth it. Having a Reaper that stays in shadow lets you do it for maybe a few percent reduction in firepower at most. They're great.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nuebot posted:

every time I throw out a bomb, the enemies just walk away before the reaper can shoot it next turn.

A Reaper can throw a Claymore and then immediately shoot it, if they don't spend an action on movement. Alternatively, if you do have to throw it after moving, you can switch to a different soldier and use them to detonate it, however this will break concealment (not for the Reaper though).

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
When I get my advent progress to high I use Reapers to cheese the hell out of facility missions.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bremen posted:

As I put it, 90% of your "Oh poo poo!" moments in Xcom2 are either moving forward and activating a pod on your last move, or charging forward to flank an enemy and activating a new pod in the middle of a fight (and possibly on your last move).
I'd like an indicator in future games of how much of the invisible map you will expose yourself to if you move to particular positions. You don't learn if something is there, but that if it is there it will see you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nordick posted:

A Reaper can throw a Claymore and then immediately shoot it, if they don't spend an action on movement. Alternatively, if you do have to throw it after moving, you can switch to a different soldier and use them to detonate it, however this will break concealment (not for the Reaper though).

Moving is probably where I'm loving up because I'm impatient. Why yes, I do have a lot of panicked fights where I forget I'm on my last unit, use them to shoot the first dude in sight and activate a whole patrol of enemies thus giving them an immediate turn to shoot my dudes in the face. :shepface:

EDIT: Unrelated but since I'm finishing up those legacy missions soon, if anyone has some cool mod recommendations I'd love to hear some. I checked out the OP and I've got a bunch of really basic new enemy and "recruit aliens" style mods from steam's most popular listing but if there's anything else to make the game more difficult, fun or interesting that I haven't seen because I'm dumb as hell I'm down.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 25, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nordick posted:

Yeah, the last game I played the bases were still a pain in the rear end but not an instant existential nightmare. However, they then started assaulting my secondary base with ridiculous amounts of troops, including their near-invisible super assassins who drop mini nukes when they die. What's the problem with that last bit, you ask? Well, the bombs are primed. :shepicide: (this can be used against them, but jesus christ.)

Did they get rid of tier 3 ninja bases generating monthly government attacks?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Panzeh posted:

Dunno but I hope so, those missions were the main reason I quit my last campaign and I haven't gone back. I'm convinced that the developer has never played one of those because they are so obviously badly designed. Sure just spawn some of my troops in the open where they will be reaction fired by literally dozens of enemies on the first turn, some of my troops cut off and surrounded by enemies, and drop all my equipment in the literal centre of the map where it will always get destroyed by the absurd number of explosives that are going to be flying around.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

You can also use claymores to enhance grenades. If you're ambushing an unactivated squad you can drop the claymore on them and then hit them with a grenade. The grenade will trigger the claymore creating a giant boom that will full wipe the enemy pod for a good chunk of the game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dire Lemming posted:

Dunno but I hope so, those missions were the main reason I quit my last campaign and I haven't gone back. I'm convinced that the developer has never played one of those because they are so obviously badly designed. Sure just spawn some of my troops in the open where they will be reaction fired by literally dozens of enemies on the first turn, some of my troops cut off and surrounded by enemies, and drop all my equipment in the literal centre of the map where it will always get destroyed by the absurd number of explosives that are going to be flying around.

I've pondered making a fork of xpiratez that shunts off ninja bases and doom demon base attacks to Jack Sparrow difficulty.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

snoremac posted:

I'd like an indicator in future games of how much of the invisible map you will expose yourself to if you move to particular positions. You don't learn if something is there, but that if it is there it will see you.

The problem is that this will give you info on the unseen terrain as well. But yeah, maybe they should just bite the bullet. My other thought is that maybe they should just give you a vague idea of pod locations before you start. Like a thermal scan of the area, possibly gated behind a base facility or tech upgrade. Old xcom games had the motion scanner.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Panzeh posted:

I've pondered making a fork of xpiratez that shunts off ninja bases and doom demon base attacks to Jack Sparrow difficulty.

One edit I did try to make was to make the player bases slightly more defensible but I couldn't figure out how to properly edit the existing hideout map tiles so I gave up. As it stands player bases are the least defensible map in the game. You'll have an easier time finding a defensible position while assaulting an enemy base than you will defending your own bases.

Actually this just got brought up, another major issue is that xpiratez really suffers from not being able to decide whether its soldiers are OG-style expendable cannon fodder or XCOM 2012/2 superheroes. So you have a major difference in usefulness between a rookie and a veteran, and late game you basically need a bunch of veterans that you've grinded up to max reactions etc. But veterans are still very easy to kill, often in ways that are completely unpredictable and unavoidable. And a lot of updates have made this worse, like commendation stat bonuses adding an even more slow and grindy way of increasing stat caps and thus the gap between veterans and rookies.

I might see where it goes in a few years but my stance on xpiratez right now is that its gameplay on the whole kinda sucks and that's all it had going for it.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 25, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, they'll go active and do that occasionally, but drat, I hate the Government Attack missions. By the time they're able to do that, though, you can likely shoot down the transport.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

When I get my advent progress to high I use Reapers to cheese the hell out of facility missions.

This was my entire reason behind choosing the starting area that gave you a second reaper. Ghosting whole facilities with them felt more like a game of Thief than X-Com. Nobody knew anything was wrong at all, until there was a brand new pile of explosives sitting inside and there was suddenly a hostile dropship coming in for a pickup :getin:

They’re also great for dealing with the Alien Rulers too. Turns out that a repeater works on them just as well as it works on other aliens!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't think reapers are very good early on, though. If you only have 4 in a squad, the firepower loss from making one of them a reaper is pretty nasty.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For the very early missions, being able to wipe the first pod with the claymore without losing anyone's concealment is plenty good enough to pull their own weight. The reaper isn't that much worse at shooting than any other squaddie. After they've levelled up, remote start is usually pulling their weight even in a 4-man squad on any remotely urban map.

But yes, with a 4-man squad you do need to be shooting with them a bit and then re-entering shadow at an appropriate point rather than keeping them as a dedicated spotter.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Fangz posted:

The problem is that this will give you info on the unseen terrain as well. But yeah, maybe they should just bite the bullet. My other thought is that maybe they should just give you a vague idea of pod locations before you start. Like a thermal scan of the area, possibly gated behind a base facility or tech upgrade. Old xcom games had the motion scanner.
I forgot the scanner in 2 (whatever it's called that's a radar grenade) was a thing, but for my impatient rear end there's a deeper issue with wanting to get a move on with reduced risk of marching into a death trap because someone on the outside of the squad strays a tile too far. I think I am defensive with respect to carefully approaching targets with use of concealment etc. but get burnt too often. I know you should typically move furthest first, and with a Reaper or concealed soldier, but it still happens.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fangz posted:

I don't think reapers are very good early on, though. If you only have 4 in a squad, the firepower loss from making one of them a reaper is pretty nasty.

Early on they are a tiny bit weaker than the other two WotC classes, yeah. The claymore helps a lot and they can still secure some clutch kills through flanking and can occasionally do insane things with remote start but they really shine once you get that 5th slot.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

insane things with remote start

Setting a claymore next to the Assassin when she’s standing next to a thing that can get Remote Started, when she’s weak to both Reapers and explosives, and watching her get one-shotted exploded into oblivion does count as an insane thing, but it also counts as a beautiful thing :unsmith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The most important part about reapers is that while you're engaged with one pack, they can scout ahead to find the next one(s). This gives you an incredible amount of liberty in maneuvering, and you can go for what would otherwise be risky flanks and such.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U-BPDDDSto

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Dire Lemming posted:

xpiratez really suffers from not being able to decide whether its soldiers are OG-style expendable cannon fodder or XCOM 2012/2 superheroes. So you have a major difference in usefulness between a rookie and a veteran, and late game you basically need a bunch of veterans that you've grinded up to max reactions etc. But veterans are still very easy to kill, often in ways that are completely unpredictable and unavoidable. And a lot of updates have made this worse, like commendation stat bonuses adding an even more slow and grindy way of increasing stat caps and thus the gap between veterans and rookies.

I might see where it goes in a few years but my stance on xpiratez right now is that its gameplay on the whole kinda sucks and that's all it had going for it.

Yeah i kinda feel something similar- i basically keep a training base on hand as early as I can just to have a pool of replacements, but the fundamental problem is, these mods run the game for so long that creating late-game threats to fully leveled out soldiers with full kit means that rookies are entirely worthless in this context. I feel like in some ways the game could stand to be half as long, but every modder goes for 'maximum epic'. I also feel like Xcom files is way too long.

KNR
May 3, 2009
The thing about Firaxis XCOM superheroes is that high level soldiers are important but they're also replaceable, especially in 2. You can get pre-leveled soldiers on the black market, at scan points and as mission rewards. The WotC heroes are extra replaceable as you're guaranteed a recruit hero mission if you lose the previous one (I've fired skirmishers just to do this when they fall behind in xp because low level skirmishers are awful).

All of these options have opportunity costs if nothing else so you need to be doing decent in the strategic game and can't throw away people constantly, but with a big enough buffer you can buy your way out of the occasional loss or a single wipe.

Whereas in Files any replacement soldier is going to be permanently worse than a veteran as the commendations keep stacking effectively forever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah i kinda feel something similar- i basically keep a training base on hand as early as I can just to have a pool of replacements, but the fundamental problem is, these mods run the game for so long that creating late-game threats to fully leveled out soldiers with full kit means that rookies are entirely worthless in this context. I feel like in some ways the game could stand to be half as long, but every modder goes for 'maximum epic'. I also feel like Xcom files is way too long.

X-COM Files should end with the invasion beginning, rather than going forward into it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My XCOM2 Mostly Legitimate Legendary Ironman* saw nearly every high ranking soldier die or eat poo poo at the end game and my squaddie suicide skwad (and a SPARK) managed to clutch themselves until the roster could stabilize

Colonels matter but turns out they don't matter that much once you have psi amps and plasma rifles and stuff

*turns out the game is broke as gently caress when it comes to how faceless and cloaked reapers interact

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Night10194 posted:

X-COM Files should end with the invasion beginning, rather than going forward into it.

I quite enjoyed fighting the aliens in XCF as it's the time you can finally use all those fun toys you've been collecting and also a good step up in challenge. Invading an Ethereal/Sectopod base with your psychic squad and taking control of one ethereal after another while crushing machines with their minds is A+ power fantasy gameplay. Of course it can also go wrong and a few psychics may get vaporized but eh, casualties.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I got sucked into that mission with the reapers and skirmishers last night and died a little inside when my entire squad missed a series of 75%-88% shots. I love XCOM :negative:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Icon Of Sin posted:

Setting a claymore next to the Assassin when she’s standing next to a thing that can get Remote Started, when she’s weak to both Reapers and explosives, and watching her get one-shotted exploded into oblivion does count as an insane thing, but it also counts as a beautiful thing :unsmith:

remote start is absolutely the sex panther of xcom

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Eau de MacGowan posted:

remote start is absolutely the sex panther of xcom

I don’t really know what this means but i agree

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

50% of the time it works 100% of the time

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FoolyCharged posted:

50% of the time it works 100% of the time

oh that's right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

While I'm playing xcom 2: Is Phoenix Point any good?