Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Drinkslinger posted:

Playing through Timesplitters FP in Imp Zone gave me the idea for a "one-gun fun" mod where you're restricted to one particular weapon per map

I restricted the player to the single-barrel shotgun for a full half of the map I made until they get the chaingun and honestly I'm still wondering whether or not to allow that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One of the things I'm trying for in map design is weapon restrictions.

It's honestly a lot of fun. Playing through a few megawads in the past without pistol starting I was kind of like "well this isn't too bad".

But going back and playing being forced to use a rocket launcher in a tight area or a shotgun for larger things and the like, I could tell a lot of thought went into it and was much more fun (and difficult) to play.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drinkslinger posted:

Shoutout to the three zombiemen in Underhalls, who instantly get absolutely demolished by whatever weapon I picked up in the custom MAP01 I just finished

My nickname for the music in MAP01 is "D_MAPPIN"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A.o.D. posted:

My nickname for the music in MAP01 is "D_MAPPIN"

STARTANGO

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pro starcraft loser posted:

It's honestly a lot of fun. Playing through a few megawads in the past without pistol starting I was kind of like "well this isn't too bad".

But going back and playing being forced to use a rocket launcher in a tight area or a shotgun for larger things and the like, I could tell a lot of thought went into it and was much more fun (and difficult) to play.

Yeah when I was a kid, the idea of the "pistol start" was such a strange concept to me; I got it in my head that is must have been a mistake--not a feature--for the game to restart the level on death with a pistol and nothing else.

It's only been in the last 10-12 years that I've fallen in love with it, and now I do it whenever I can. Sometimes I even do it in other games, like Blood and Shadow Warrior.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah same. It means in well designed levels instead of getting one big difficulty curve over a megawad you get 32 small ones, who then themselves still exist on a larger curve.

Protip: open the console (~) and enter
code:
bind <key> "map *"
Where <key> is what you want to press to instantly restart your current map fresh. I use F12.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chocolate/Crispy Doom and PRBoom+ have a -pistolstart launch parameter available too

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

Chocolate/Crispy Doom and PRBoom+ have a -pistolstart launch parameter available too

For GZDoom there’s some good mods on the ZDoom forums for it, mostly descending from one originally written by JP LeBreton.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arivia posted:

For GZDoom there’s some good mods on the ZDoom forums for it, mostly descending from one originally written by JP LeBreton.

Yeah I remember going that route for a while and then dropping it because every second update to the engine seemed to break it in very silly ways. They're probably better now, but I just use console magic instead if I want to pistol start in GZD these days.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I'm surprised at how popular pistol starting seems to be. That's probably because I'm a huge RPG nerd who loves getting progressively more powerful as the game goes on (which also probably explains my love of mods like DRLA and Laevis/Gun Bonsai), instead of having that power yanked away from me at the end of every map and being forced to start from scratch at the beginning of the next one. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's definitely a "different strokes"-type situation. I find that, even on UV, I get to the point with a lot of WADs where I have so much of everything and the difficulty can suffer; secrets lose their appeal because it's like "oh a hidden plasma rifle...I already have one."

On a "pistol start", maps can feel more like puzzles: how do I get through this area with 15 rockets and 50 cells? How can I finagle these enemies into fighting each other? And when you find a weapon or secret, it's likely to be a much bigger boon to your run.

Of course, I'm also kind of a weirdo who likes when the game takes my poo poo away (like in Fallout: New Vegas' "Dead Money" DLC) and makes me start from scratch, even temporarily.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pistol starting maps is just staying true to Doom's origins as the original metroidvania

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Of course, I'm also kind of a weirdo who likes when the game takes my poo poo away (like in Fallout: New Vegas' "Dead Money" DLC) and makes me start from scratch, even temporarily.

The absolute best missions in MGSV did that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pistol starting is more than just an added challenge. It can completely change the way you play. Secrets are often more rewarding (as mentioned) and it can influence how and when you use your ammo and various other pickups. In continuous play I often find myself being stingy and hoarding my rockets and cell ammo "for the big one up ahead" but when pistol starting I don't do that.

That said, a great WAD author knows how to make maps in which either approach can be a viable and fun experience.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

Pistol starting is more than just an added challenge. It can completely change the way you play. Secrets are often more rewarding (as mentioned) and it can influence how and when you use your ammo and various other pickups. In continuous play I often find myself being stingy and hoarding my rockets and cell ammo "for the big one up ahead" but when pistol starting I don't do that.

That said, a great WAD author knows how to make maps in which either approach can be a viable and fun experience.

:same:

I'm a chronic video game resource hoarder and pistol starting removes the incentive to hold anything back because you can't take it with you. And it allows the mapmaker to more precisely design encounters if they know what weapons/ammo you'll have available at any one time. Only flipside is it does take away from that secret megasphere you found after all the enemies were dead :negative:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Takes No Damage posted:

Only flipside is it does take away from that secret megasphere you found after all the enemies were dead :negative:

What difference does that matter to you, Takes No Damage? :thunk:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only pistol start occasionally, but I always appreciate wads that require it and the sense of achievement is unique

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

On the flip side, I find pistol starting a little freeing.

I'm so hard wired in games to save ammo for future encounters down the line that it's really nice to be able to say "gently caress it, I'm gonna BFG these hellknights cause I can't take it with me". Same for ending a map at low health.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pistol starting vs continuous makes all the difference in The Flesh Consumed. You can start Perfect Hatred with either 100 health and 50 bullets or at near death with only a shotgun shell.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I don't even consider myself to have played the masterpiece wads at all until I've played them from pistol start. Playing a Ribbiks map with all the kit from the previous maps is like solving a Rubiks cube with a hammer.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mak0rz posted:

What difference does that matter to you, Takes No Damage? :thunk:

Just because I've been playing Doom since 1993 doesn't mean I'm good at it. Half the time I play too passively and get overwhelmed / Archies rez the whole map. Then I try to go more aggressive and instantly die. Then I'll watch decino play the same map in what appears to be the same way but just, y'know, not get hit :blastu: :dogcited:

Mak0rz posted:

Pistol starting vs continuous makes all the difference in The Flesh Consumed. You can start Perfect Hatred with either 100 health and 50 bullets or at near death with only a shotgun shell.

All that means is that in 2 seconds you will be starting Perfect Hatred with 100 health and 50 bullets :confused:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pistol starting is more fun. Sorry haters but it's true.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Is there a limit to how many numbered sectors you can have in a map?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

In vanilla Doom, yes https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Static_limits

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Static_limits

quote:

Segs/sides/lines/subsectors/nodes

The number of these map entities cannot exceed 32767 due to hard data type size limits in the map format. Practically speaking, the segs limit is always the first one exceeded, and thus imposes an even more stringent limit on the other entities, of which the number of segs is partially a function.

Limit-removing ports are going to have different or no limits, you'd need to look up a reference for those specific ports. There's probably a Boom standard.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
peestol starting Stardate 20X6. Foxhole is full o surprises (especially the berserk secret after a particularly prickly encounter)

tanagra seems like it'd be fun to pacifist run

sector 8 is, a terrible experience. aesthetics or whatever are fine, but it is just an absolute grind for me. someone forgot to tell them to put in fun parts i guess? I'm already sick of it and not too far in

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 1, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Someone made Punch-Out in Doom! Pretty cool idea. Gameplay loop seems a bit repetitive tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZvMUZx9iNA

Let's liven it up a bit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yVFjC9Y_NE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So anybody got any ideas for a November WAD?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

In Training posted:

I'm midway through making a map (though it's not November themed) and tbh I think I've made it too big.

edit: I have an ACS scripting question. If I have a script that takes an argument, and has a Repeat call in it, what happens if I call it again with a different argument? Does it allow for multiple instances of the same script to be running, or will it terminate the first in order to run the second?

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 4, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

In Training posted:

I stumbled on a server running Atmospheric Extinction the other day, and it is absolutely beautiful. I played through maps 5 and 6, and map 6 "The Reality Binder" was especially cool. Just great encounter and map design. I certainly wouldn't mind playing through that one with the thread, so that's my vote.

These were the two maps I played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sbahchin8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mrzvWTXA94

By the way did anyone manage to finish Threevilution? I have some specific thoughts on it but I'll need to go back and nextmap through the wad to remind myself what map was what

Overall I really enjoyed it. The final puzzle of map30 was annoying but once I figured it out the final encounter was a satisfying reward

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I stumbled on a server running Atmospheric Extinction the other day, and it is absolutely beautiful. I played through maps 5 and 6, and map 6 "The Reality Binder" was especially cool. Just great encounter and map design. I certainly wouldn't mind playing through that one with the thread, so that's my vote.

These were the two maps I played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2sbahchin8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mrzvWTXA94

By the way did anyone manage to finish Threevilution? I have some specific thoughts on it but I'll need to go back and nextmap through the wad to remind myself what map was what

Overall I really enjoyed it. The final puzzle of map30 was annoying but once I figured it out the final encounter was a satisfying reward

This looks super neat, I just downloaded it and will play it next! Working on Hell Ground currently, a 2009 doom II episode from the mapper who made EPIC.WAD. It's been fun, this guy is very good at making huge scale buildings that you can actually explore.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Honestly, the Reality Binder is worth the price of admission on its own.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm getting annoyed at inconsistency in how ACS scripts behave. Seems like half the time the following works, and half the time it doesn't (possibly due to timing conflicts?)

There's a line of Ceiling_LowerAndCrush sectors on loop via a Repeat call. Call this crusherScript
A switch which does the following:
- Terminates crusherScript
- Runs a reset script that resets crusher sectors to their normal floor and ceiling. ACS_WaitNamedRun, so it's waiting for that to finish before proceding.
- Raises the floor on one crusher. TagWait, so it waits for this to happen before proceding.
- Starts crusherScript again
- Waits for a certain amount of tics
- Runs reset script again (again a wait command)
- Lowers the raised floor. TagWait again.
- Restarts crusherScript.

So the effect SHOULD be that when you flick the switch, the crushers stop, one of the crushers floor's raise, the crushers start again, run for a while, then stop, the floor lowers, the the crushers start again.

Half the time this works. The other half it just... doesn't

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I'm getting annoyed at inconsistency in how ACS scripts behave. Seems like half the time the following works, and half the time it doesn't (possibly due to timing conflicts?)

There's a line of Ceiling_LowerAndCrush sectors on loop via a Repeat call. Call this crusherScript
A switch which does the following:
- Runs a reset script that resets crusher sectors to their normal floor and ceiling. ACS_WaitNamedRun, so it's waiting for that to finish before proceding.
- Raises the floor on one crusher. TagWait, so it waits for this to happen before proceding.
- Starts crusherScript again
- Waits for a certain amount of tics
- Runs reset script again (again a wait command)
- Lowers the raised floor. TagWait again.
- Restarts crusherScript.

So the effect SHOULD be that when you flick the switch, the crushers stop, one of the crushers floor's raise, the crushers start again, run for a while, then stop, the floor lowers, the the crushers start again.

Half the time this works. The other half it just... doesn't

post ur code

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

post ur code

Alright. Below is a screenshot of the sectors, and all the code interacting with them. a good chunk of it is lighting effects but it's the crush/raise that doesn't function properly sometimes.

script 12 is triggered by a switch that passes the following arguments:
stoppedCrusherTag=65
floorHeight=124
waitTime=192

pre:
int crusherTags[4]={65,66,67,68};
int crusherTagCount=4;

int waterSiloTags[4]={70,71,72,73};
int waterSpeed=64;

int upperLightTags[4]={74,75,76,77};
int upperLightMax=144;
int upperLightMin=128;
int lowerLightTags[4]={78,79,80,81};
int lowerLightMax=128;
int lowerLightMin=112;
int fadeUpSpeed=32;
int fadeDownSpeed=8;

int crusherSpeed=128;
int crusherDamage=300;
int raiseSpeed=64;
int crushDelay=8;l

script 11 (void){
	for (int t=0; t<crusherTagCount; t++){
		Ceiling_LowerAndCrush(crusherTags[t],crusherSpeed,crusherDamage,0);
		Floor_LowerToNearest(waterSiloTags[t],waterSpeed,144);
		Light_Fade(crusherTags[t],lowerLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		Light_Fade(lowerLightTags[t],lowerLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		Light_Fade(upperLightTags[t],upperLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		if (t==crusherTagCount-1){
			TagWait(crusherTags[t]);
			TagWait(waterSiloTags[t]);
		} else {
				Delay(crushDelay);
				}
	}
	for (int tt=0; tt<crusherTagCount; tt++){
		Ceiling_RaiseToNearest(crusherTags[tt],raiseSpeed);
		Floor_RaiseToNearest(waterSiloTags[tt],waterSpeed,144);
		Light_Fade(crusherTags[tt],lowerLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		Light_Fade(lowerLightTags[tt],lowerLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		Light_Fade(upperLightTags[tt],upperLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		if (tt==crusherTagCount-1){
			TagWait(crusherTags[tt]);
			TagWait(waterSiloTags[tt]);
		} else {
				Delay(crushDelay);
				}
		}
	Restart;

}

script 12 (int stoppedCrusherTag, int floorHeight, int waitTime){
	ACS_NamedExecuteWait("crusherReset");
	Floor_RaiseByValue(stoppedCrusherTag,raiseSpeed,floorHeight);
	TagWait(stoppedCrusherTag);
	ACS_Execute(11,0,0,0,0);
	Delay(waitTime);
	Floor_LowerByValue(stoppedCrusherTag,raiseSpeed,floorHeight);
	ACS_Execute(11,0,0,0,0);

}

script "crusherReset" (void){
	ACS_Terminate(11,0);
		Ceiling_RaiseToNearest(crusherTags[t],raiseSpeed);
	}
	TagWait(crusherTags[crusherTagCount-1]);
}

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

idk what it is but i always end up coming back to Jenesis when i want to mess around with doom mods

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

I'm currently trying to play through every wad in the Maximum Doom doom2 folder, because I hate myself and apparently love 1994 map designs

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alright. Below is a screenshot of the sectors, and all the code interacting with them. a good chunk of it is lighting effects but it's the crush/raise that doesn't function properly sometimes.

script 12 is triggered by a switch that passes the following arguments:
stoppedCrusherTag=65
floorHeight=124
waitTime=192

pre:
int crusherTags[4]={65,66,67,68};
int crusherTagCount=4;

int waterSiloTags[4]={70,71,72,73};
int waterSpeed=64;

int upperLightTags[4]={74,75,76,77};
int upperLightMax=144;
int upperLightMin=128;
int lowerLightTags[4]={78,79,80,81};
int lowerLightMax=128;
int lowerLightMin=112;
int fadeUpSpeed=32;
int fadeDownSpeed=8;

int crusherSpeed=128;
int crusherDamage=300;
int raiseSpeed=64;
int crushDelay=8;l

script 11 (void){
		Ceiling_LowerAndCrush(crusherTags[t],crusherSpeed,crusherDamage,0);
		Floor_LowerToNearest(waterSiloTags[t],waterSpeed,144);
		Light_Fade(crusherTags[t],lowerLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		Light_Fade(lowerLightTags[t],lowerLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		Light_Fade(upperLightTags[t],upperLightMin,fadeDownSpeed);
		if (t==crusherTagCount-1){
			TagWait(crusherTags[t]);
			TagWait(waterSiloTags[t]);
		} else {
				Delay(crushDelay);
				}
	}
	for (int tt=0; tt<crusherTagCount; tt++){
		Ceiling_RaiseToNearest(crusherTags[tt],raiseSpeed);
		Floor_RaiseToNearest(waterSiloTags[tt],waterSpeed,144);
		Light_Fade(crusherTags[tt],lowerLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		Light_Fade(lowerLightTags[tt],lowerLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		Light_Fade(upperLightTags[tt],upperLightMax,fadeUpSpeed);
		if (tt==crusherTagCount-1){
			TagWait(crusherTags[tt]);
			TagWait(waterSiloTags[tt]);
		} else {
				Delay(crushDelay);
				}
		}
	Restart;

}

script 12 (int stoppedCrusherTag, int floorHeight, int waitTime){
	Floor_RaiseByValue(stoppedCrusherTag,raiseSpeed,floorHeight);
	ACS_Execute(11,0,0,0,0);
	Delay(waitTime);
	Floor_LowerByValue(stoppedCrusherTag,raiseSpeed,floorHeight);
	ACS_Execute(11,0,0,0,0);

}

script "crusherReset" (void){
	ACS_Terminate(11,0);
		Ceiling_RaiseToNearest(crusherTags[t],raiseSpeed);
	}
	TagWait(crusherTags[crusherTagCount-1]);
}

Have you tried running a check that stops any code running for areas outside of that room? Note: I am not an ACS wizard.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i only look at doomworld once every week or two so i just found out wormwood iv got released a few days ago

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/132293-wormwood-iv-the-final-chapter/

the 3 wormwood wads + orange is true love have been really excellent so check it out imo. this one is 10 whole maps and dannebubinga contributed in addition to grain of salt and ribbiks so its like a sunlust mini-reunion :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Just got done playing Boaty McBoatwad, a Boom-compatible megawad (not a jokewad, amazingly) where every map features at least one boat

Decent gameplay, decent challenge, good use of OTEX, music's on point - I recommend it!