Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Ah but you see you can't gently caress a horse named glitterhoof while the aztecs are invading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Not yet I think. Haven't checked the modding scene lately.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

victoria 3 comes out at 9 am central time toDAY

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wait for the reviews
wait for the reviews...
wait for the reviews......

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
im waiting.

also i like the implication that old paradox games were somehow worth it

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’ve been trying to think of a way to expense this but unfortunately I think I’ll have to play on my own time 🙁

I really hope Wiz came through

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thankfully the hoi4 dlc last month was such a disaster as to remind me to not touch Vicky 3 until probably next year

I still haven't summoned the "give a poo poo about X game" to try out the DLC. Another boring designer that's basically been min-maxed already (and was broken on launch!!!), Switzerland focus tree (big loving woop), Ethiopia seems interesting then you remember that Africa in HoI is pain. The only thing kinda good about it is the Italian tree, but meh.

Even my buddy who has us play a lot of co-op in HoI4 (and other paradox games) seems to not be playing it - especially so soon after it came out. We've been having more fun with Stellaris (which has it's own problems but we find to be more fun) or TW: Warhammer 3.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

:eyepop:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
you know what? I've never actually "gotten" how to play HOI4. Is there like something I can watch that'll teach me?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

I’ve been trying to think of a way to expense this but unfortunately I think I’ll have to play on my own time 🙁

I really hope Wiz came through

Can bill it as historical reserch of supply lines in what if scenarios

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thankfully the hoi4 dlc last month was such a disaster as to remind me to not touch Vicky 3 until probably next year

It's fun though, you get to hang out with your overbearing buddy Mussolini as you make all his dreams of a great Italy come true with the power of fascism.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreylad posted:

im waiting.

EU4 circa Art of War\ Common Sense and HoI2 darkest hour \ arsenal of democracy are pretty drat good.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lol that the 80 dollar version of Vicky 3 comes witb 1 DLC to be announced at a later date

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mans posted:

EU4 circa Art of War\ Common Sense and HoI2 darkest hour \ arsenal of democracy are pretty drat good.

EU II was the peak. Textbooks over sandboxes. For the Glory ftw

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I Wish Panzer Corps 2 would finally come out with an Allied/Soviet campaign and not *another* German one where you "explore" the complicated feelings of Rommel or whichever war criminal Hitler has assigned to the Eastern Front in 194X. At least Unity of Command 2 is fun and swaps focus depending on the date/theater.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maximo Roboto posted:

EU2 was a lot of fun to play as random nations and read the events that followed but sometimes you got silly things like collapsing in ruin as Portugal or France because your king died in Morroco (you haven't fought there in 100 years) or due to your terrible Louisiana colonies (you never colonised the area) because they had a hardcoded approach to events.

Still fun, nonetheless.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
An economic system Marx would be proud of!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mans posted:

Arsenal of Democracy was so drat good, and it's a shame that support was dropped. Darkest Hour comes real close, but these older game are really hobbled by a lack of full Windows compatibility nowadays.

BadOptics posted:

I Wish Panzer Corps 2 would finally come out with an Allied/Soviet campaign and not *another* German one where you "explore" the complicated feelings of Rommel or whichever war criminal Hitler has assigned to the Eastern Front in 194X. At least Unity of Command 2 is fun and swaps focus depending on the date/theater.

it's funny cuz Panzer Corps keeps doing this thing where Germany gets a full blown DLC for every year of the war, and then the entire Soviet experience is one campaign.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Everything else aside, if you make a grog-rear end mod for a decade-old grog-rear end game I don't think whining about the moldering community makes sense, if anything that's a feature for those types

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's funny cuz Panzer Corps keeps doing this thing where Germany gets a full blown DLC for every year of the war, and then the entire Soviet experience is one campaign.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned UoC2 as they came out with a specific Soviet one for '41, one for the Desert Rats, and I'd expect more for the Eastern Front on both the Soviet/Germany side as I think they've only gotten up to Stalingrad/early '43.

Lol, is this just some discord owner/mod who thinks because they run the "Official Vicky2 Mod Community Discord" (or whatever) their opinion means anything? And that you can....still play Vicky2?

Edit: And if anything wasn't Vicky 2's economic model also vaguely Marxist/historical materialism? I admit I'm speaking as someone who only watched a few videos but never got the will to invest in learning it as even at that time it was an "old" pdox game.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 16:35 on Oct 25, 2022

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is why Order of Battle and Strategic Mind are cool and Panzer Corps is disappointing.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

BadOptics posted:

Lol, is this just some discord owner/mod who thinks because they run the "Official Vicky2 Mod Community Discord" (or whatever) their opinion means anything? And that you can....still play Vicky2?

Edit: And if anything wasn't Vicky 2's economic model also vaguely Marxist/historical materialism? I admit I'm speaking as someone who only watched a few videos but never got the will to invest in learning it as even at that time it was an "old" pdox game.

It's a guy who makes a mod of a mod

Vicky 2's economic model was that every country was an autarky, and the economy only ran because of a series of weird hardcoded rules. Also you can simply swap political parties (as a constitutional monarchy) to communism if you ever need to fix your factory disposition and swap back later if you want to automate the economy, with no downsides.

It was a game which was really good at looking like it was simulating a global economy, but it was actually just set dressing for a straightforward wargame. The actual amount of player input on the economy and the politics was negligible.

Slim Jim Pickens has issued a correction as of 16:55 on Oct 25, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Gee I wonder why theres so many Nazis runnjng around today

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

:canada:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

trying to speed through my work today so i can start playing victoria 3

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BadOptics posted:

I still haven't summoned the "give a poo poo about X game" to try out the DLC. Another boring designer that's basically been min-maxed already (and was broken on launch!!!), Switzerland focus tree (big loving woop), Ethiopia seems interesting then you remember that Africa in HoI is pain. The only thing kinda good about it is the Italian tree, but meh.

Even my buddy who has us play a lot of co-op in HoI4 (and other paradox games) seems to not be playing it - especially so soon after it came out. We've been having more fun with Stellaris (which has it's own problems but we find to be more fun) or TW: Warhammer 3.

also the dlc broke like everything lol. carriers were completely useless for the past month, half the Swiss focuses didn’t work properly (although who cares about the Swiss in hoi4), and the ai( particularly the Soviets) got even worse

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

An economic system Marx would be proud of!

so vicky2 then lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So frustrating. Tried restarting Steam and verifying the game files. Guess I'll poke around that file with a text editor and see if I can fix it manually.

lol was not expecting my hesitation to be rewarded before goons were even able to play

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Maximo Roboto posted:

I am also in this camp.

The idea of a plausible simulation of history rather than a rigid textbook pseudo-repeat of history is great. If anyone ever manages to execute it I'll be thrilled. But meanwhile EU2 and AGCEEP and FTG got me into a whole lot of history I otherwise wouldn't have (I was all Middle Ages and WW2 as a kid) and EU3 and EU4 just don't have that.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

another paradox disaster launch what a surprise

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

The most fun game in a Paradox game I ever did was EU3 with Wiz's Azerimod, started as Anjou and ended up splitting irl France with me as a catholic in the north and my archnemesis protestant Burgundy in the south. Just endless wars every decade or so where we swapped a couple of provinces, neither side ever getting a decisive advantage to smash the other one for good.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I made it in :shrug:.

Successfully reforming the Qing to the PRC otoh well haven't done it yet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dreylad posted:

im waiting.

the Paradox golden age is just the second half of CK2 and the first half of EU4

vicky3 seems neat so far but can't tell yet since I have no clue what I'm doing

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danann posted:

I made it in :shrug:.

Successfully reforming the Qing to the PRC otoh well haven't done it yet.

China was basically impossible in Victoria 2 and it would basically break the game if they industrialised because their educated working force would consume the entire world's resources.

But apparently you can obliterate major powers on Vicky 3 by playing small islands with 40 people so...

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently I formed Canada, but didn't get the flag, oh well.

anyway

What :canada: images it's like.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Lostconfused posted:

Apparently I formed Canada, but didn't get the flag, oh well.

anyway

What :canada: images it's like.

Canada didn't get the good flag until 1965.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Right, but it's still called Ontario, not Dominion of Canada or whatever.

Not sure if I formed it the right way, or maybe it's because US took a bite out of Alberta.

I guess you're supposed to do it as Hudson's Bay Company or something, because they want you to play those "nations".

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

quick question how do i ban the import of opium into china tia

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m excited that Victoria 3 is a thing, but yeah day 1 of a paradox release is just a beta phase for like 6 months at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

this time will be different!