Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/1583930313998147585?s=46&t=Au81DC7vo6C_MJePhJcgJQ

Felix appears to be doing his new Halloween bit for this year. He appears to be going as an Op-Ed writer this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Sephyr posted:

I have not practiced in the US, but my perception of therapy there from talking to people hints that it's divided across three segemtns.

1- Bureaucrats who will see 18 people each day just to stamp their "I went to therapy" required documents and renew their prescription.

2- Service rear end-kissers who just listen to their (prefentially wealthy) patients vent, validate their lives and tell them to come back next week.

3- Actually committed professionals trying to engage their patents and making them work on themselves and challenge their assumptions, which means people will stalk off half the time because those are the two things no one can be bothered with in a consumer-based society. I'm paying you and you want me to feel BAD, or do stuff? That's not how it goes!

Also factor in that anyone can call themselves a therapist in the US, there's no licensing requirement iirc

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cached Money posted:

Also factor in that anyone can call themselves a therapist in the US, there's no licensing requirement iirc
There is absolutely licensing.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Cached Money posted:

Amazing how "iirc" means "I just made this up'

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

evilpicard posted:

For anyone who hasn't done therapy since the 2000s nowadays it's just like getting assigned workbooks about how it's your responsibility to not feel sad about being sexually assaulted. It's become extremely bad since it started getting rationalized by MBA types - like beep boop you have 270 minutes allocated to start being productive again.

Is there a good book or video on this topic? I was feeling it years ago in NY State

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

There is absolutely licensing.

Yeah I looked into it and it seems like that's true. I guess you can probably weasel word yourself out of it somehow.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
im spiritual

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cached Money posted:

Yeah I looked into it and it seems like that's true. I guess you can probably weasel word yourself out of it somehow.

there are licensed counsellors too but a lot of churches won't require it if you talk the talk. a lot of therapy in the US is performed within the church and isn't really discussed much at all outside of it

smh pastor elijah wouldn't let this fly

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

evilpicard posted:

It's because most therapy is infected by neoliberal ideology actually

Lmfao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re also experiencing the same serious issue with Psychology//Psychiatry students as we’re seeing in the modern medical fields i.e. rich and/or legacy students who can’t or won’t keep up with the objectively insane course-loads of modern education just straight up hiring Brazilian or Chinese people to do their homework and write their papers for them. When Felix very caustically spit out the fact that most doctors today are terrible, this is a big, big part of it, they literally don’t know anything because they paid someone else to learn it for them and get the grades.

Imagine paying $250 an hour to go see a 28 year old shrink named Chyler who starts off by asking if the vibes on your lithium dosage were “hosed or not”?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

We’re also experiencing the same serious issue with Psychology//Psychiatry students as we’re seeing in the modern medical fields i.e. rich and/or legacy students who can’t or won’t keep up with the objectively insane course-loads of modern education just straight up hiring Brazilian or Chinese people to do their homework and write their papers for them. When Felix very caustically spit out the fact that most doctors today are terrible, this is a big, big part of it, they literally don’t know anything because they paid someone else to learn it for them and get the grades.

Imagine paying $250 an hour to go see a 28 year old shrink named Chyler who starts off by asking if the vibes on your lithium dosage were “hosed or not”?

I'm going to choose not to imagine this bugbear you made up

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank god WebMD exists. Not for me to look stuff up, but for the doctors' sake.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heath posted:

I'm going to choose not to imagine this bugbear you made up

I’m just repeating what the doctors I hang out with told me. 20 years ago, if you were not cut out to be a medical student in the US or Canada, you’d fly to someplace like the Caribbean or whatever and get your medical degree there and then come back to America. The most successful and expensive brain surgeon in Myrtle Beach is one of my customers and that’s what she did, her grades weren’t good enough for Medical School in Toronto so she went to school on some island somewhere then flew to Mississippi to be a brain surgeon for a few years and build up her resume before moving here to a much nicer hospital that pays better. This is just the inverse of the same idea, instead of dumb kids flying to another country where the tests are easier, you just pay smart kids in other countries to do your American homework.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This weeks episode is gonna be pretty sad. Boris dropped out of the leadership contest. :(

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

evilpicard posted:

It's because most therapy is infected by neoliberal ideology actually

lol

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm normal.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Gripweed posted:

This weeks episode is gonna be pretty sad. Boris dropped out of the leadership contest. :(

Guess it basically defaults to Rishi Sunak in that case. A rich rear end in a top hat isn't going to be nearly as funny as the raw incompetence of Truss or the buffoonish antics of Boris.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

At least it upsets people like this I guess:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1583836182781517830

Needless Ramblings
Oct 15, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scholtz posted:

At least it upsets people like this I guess:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1583836182781517830

it's always so funny when this happens because the big 'own' is always just 'the racist guy who represents a mainstream school of thought in his party got tired of being coy and just said 'yea I want a white leader'' followed by 'the host smugly sits back as if 90% of that guy's peers weren't going 'yea, he's right bitch why are you being so mean to him????'

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Saagonsa posted:

I'm normal.

Mom's making me go to therpay just because I keep biting my baby sister. She's such a loving lib.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Therapists don’t prescribe medicine, those are psychiatrists and it’s a completely different training track.

It’s sad to see these descriptions of therapy itt, that’s not been my experience at all. Some charge a lot and see wealthier clients to subsidize pro bono work, or so they can offer a sliding scale to clients. Some see rich clients because they want more money. Some take insurance and spend a lot of time doing claims paperwork. They are people, so there are good folks, jerks, people who care, people who are burned out. It isn’t a perfect system by far, but there are a lot of therapists who are trying to help people. I hope you folks find the right ones!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd rather believe the thing Bust Rodd posted than take any sort of personal responsibility for my mental health

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'd rather believe the thing Bust Rodd posted than take any sort of personal responsibility for my mental health

The Online Approach

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Please do not take mental health advice from Goons, least of all Bust Rodd

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

In other mental health news I have an extra ticket for the Chapo show on Sunday if anyone is interested.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

NienNunb posted:

Please do not take mental health advice from Goons, least of all Bust Rodd

Get your mental health advice from Wizard Master instead.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Get your mental health advice from Wizard Master instead.

yeah the stress of being constantly vigilant, waiting for his go phrase, would mess me up pretty bad but he handles it well

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm watching some of the Florida governors debate and the voice is going to be a problem for Desantis. He gets by in a commercial but after a while it's done for him.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Bust is always lying unless it’s about terrible intercourse at music festivals

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

holefoods posted:

Bust is always lying unless it’s about terrible intercourse at music festivals

lmao i'm not smart enough to make poo poo up, that's kind of the throughline across my last 14 years of posting

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Freaking sweet Lois

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

personally, workbook therapy (dbt) was the most helpful for me, but it also enabled my tendency to overanalyze all my feelings and then decide they're stupid. i don't think that's a problem with the therapy itself though. if you're mentally unwell, it will take work to get better, and a lot of people aren't willing to put in that work. i see a victimization thing a lot where people say "it's not my fault (bad thing) happened to me, so how is it my responsibility to heal myself?" but the simple fact is that that's the only option. nobody else can fix you.

that being said, a lot of mental health professionals are complete quacks. i have a lot of resentment toward my high school psychiatrist who put me on the absolute maximum dose of zoloft -- we started at a dosage that was appropriate for a teenage girl, i'd tell her it wasn't working, and she'd up my prescription. i'd tell her i felt numb and she'd be like "why don't you take zoloft AND abilify." this continued for years and now my clit barely works. years later, i was working at a mortgage refinance office and i had to call her about her refinance and all her phone numbers were disconnected. weird!

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/juuustinbrown/status/1584901721980997632?s=46&t=rUYFU4O30GT-AKa3Oq_12g

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ben is learning to weaponize the fact that nobody likes him.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

"People always send me emails when I get the premise of these things wrong," Felix

What goon is emailing Felix instead of the Podcast Ombudsman?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

virgil set up forwarding

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

SA mention around 15 minutes into the new ep

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Breadallelogram posted:

SA mention around 15 minutes into the new ep

Felix may be/may have been a goon, because I think he's mentioned the forums before.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It's been discussed many many times. I'm just documenting to add it to the long list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Felix may be/may have been a goon, because I think he's mentioned the forums before.

All 3 of the core group have mentioned it or are clearly aware, Mike and jf from yks are also goons, so is Liz bruenig.

This stupid site continues to have an outsized influence