Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Good bribes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Or maybe they just had their documents in order :colbert:

Alchemists need their supplies, you know

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

RAW can i use a shield, drop a weapon and grapple, and then do unarmed damage to the grappled creature via kick or headbutt?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Slack Lagoon posted:

RAW can i use a shield, drop a weapon and grapple, and then do unarmed damage to the grappled creature via kick or headbutt?

The text of unarmed strike specifically mentions headbutts and kicks as types of unarmed attacks. I'd allow it.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bad Seafood posted:

A buddy of mine likes playing characters who are cooks as a side hustle, so I gave him an inn to fix up and run as part of his hook. It's worked pretty well, though it's kept the campaign a bit grounded. Next time I'll give him a food truck wagon to cart around.
I did this for a Pathfinder game that never actually started, made a rogue chef as I'd been reading Dungeon Meshi

Also you could probably still get away with calling it a food truck :eng101:

Hexmage-SA posted:

Just realized that the spell Rope Trick could essentially be used to covertly enter any sort of vehicle.
My first read of this was a bit different. Like really covertly enter any sort of vehicle.

"We need to get out of this city without being seen, but they're searching carts and wagons at the exits looking for us."

"I've got just the trick, everyone follow me under this wagon, then up a little bit."

The assumption being that the portal entrance stays "attached" to the underside.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The spell doesn’t say it attaches to anything, so if you cast it under a wagon I’d say the portal would stay still when the wagon started moving. If you cast it in the hold of a ship I’d say the portal moves with it.

This also touches on Immovable Rod questions, and it can get silly when you start talking about planetary rotation and orbital movement.

Magic is weird.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I assume immovable rods are in a geosynchronous orbit at whatever position they are placed

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If you're being chased in by a vehicle and drop an immovable rod behind you, would the force of the impact count towards the 8000 pounds of weight limit? A DC 30 strength check does the same and that has to be way less than 8000 pounds applied to it, right?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

change my name posted:

If you're being chased in by a vehicle and drop an immovable rod behind you, would the force of the impact count towards the 8000 pounds of weight limit? A DC 30 strength check does the same and that has to be way less than 8000 pounds applied to it, right?

The real question is whether the vehicle has the structural integrity to absorb 8000 pounds of force (~3600 newtons) at the point of impact. Unless it's made of reinforced steel, probably not.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zurreco posted:

The vats of acid carriage made it through customs??

The Am I The Chaotic Evil posters have to go somewhere!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Mr. Lobe posted:

The real question is whether the vehicle has the structural integrity to absorb 8000 pounds of force (~3600 newtons) at the point of impact. Unless it's made of reinforced steel, probably not.

I was thinking this would be for spelljammer or big ship chases, but you're probably right that it would just shatter the material at the point of impact rather than dislodge the rod

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

The Bee posted:

The Am I The Chaotic Evil posters have to go somewhere!

Lmao

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Nemo posted:

The spell doesn’t say it attaches to anything, so if you cast it under a wagon I’d say the portal would stay still when the wagon started moving. If you cast it in the hold of a ship I’d say the portal moves with it.

What if you cast it inside of a wagon, though?

If I had to make a ruling on the spot, I might say that the Rope Trick portal stays over the surface where it was cast if that surface is large enough to accommodate the maximum number of potential Small or Medium creatures that could be in the extradimensional space. That number is eight, and there are nine squares in a 3×3 section of a grid map, so I guess any surface that is Huge or larger. That means that a portal sticks to objects bigger than the Huge size category and moves with them.

I just thought of this off the top of my head and I'm sure there are problems with it, though.

EDIT: This isn't 5E, bit apparently one Pathfinder 1E adventure path called Skull & Shackles specified that Rope Trick's entrance would not move along with a ship.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 25, 2022

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Rope Trick is a cool idea that really relies on the DM using rule of cool for it to be truly useful. If you cast it in a train with the intention of hiding in that compartment, fine. If you cast it in a moving location (or with the intent to enter the moving location), then the loading/unloading of the hole has to happen in the span of time it takes the moving location to move. Like, if you're in a moving train and you want to bail using this, you would have to load everyone and yank the rope into the hole in about 4 seconds before the back of the cabin catches the rope and pulls everyone back out.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Even with a no fun DM it still should always works fine for it's primary application, which is, "take a short rest in safety"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nemo posted:

These feel very arbitrary. What's the difference?

Anyway if I wanted to make this spell move along with a thing, I'd just allow it as a spell cast with a 1 level higher spell slot. I've always sorta figured that's an easy way to allow for spell stunts that the book doesn't specifically allow. "Grease But You Can Set It On Fire, level 2."

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The way my group does spells in vehicles is that the spell’s point of origin is stationary relative to the object that makes up the largest area on an imaginary raytraced image generated from all points from directly below the point of origin out to the horizon.

Which is a really technical way of putting it but what it literally means is that a spell anchors itself to the largest object it can “see”. Practically it means a spell cast inside something like a ship remains stationary relative to the room (even if that room has a window or porthole), while a spell cast on deck usually remains stationary relative to the earth, which is how we felt it should work, so we worked backwards from there to get a consistent rule we could apply.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

theironjef posted:

These feel very arbitrary. What's the difference?
I guess I'd just consider it to be stationary in relation to the caster. I don't feel good about the inconsistency, and it isn't likely to break the game, so if a player felt strongly one way or the other I'd probably just let them do the cool thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.sageadvice.eu/when-mage-hand-is-cast-does-it-use-the-travel-speed-of-the-caster/

Similar reasoning, seems like it's very much up to the DM.

You might be able to convince them that it has to be relative to something, otherwise it'd zip away from you at an estimated 182,760 metres per round (assuming your setting's days and years are the same length as the Earth's). In which case it's fairly reasonable to assume it's summoned relative to the surface it was summoned on.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I could use some advice on how to handle the next section of my homebrew campaign. My party of 7 x 3rd level characters have just cleared a small dungeon. They ended up capturing a spider queen (think of Giant Spider upgraded to be ~CR 4) in order to fulfil a task that a local baddie forced upon them. The baddie basically said 'catch something fun for my arena or bring me a cool magic item or I'll have you all killed' and I was expecting them to find the magic item in the crypt, and kill the spider, but they instead managed to do both.

They put the Spider to sleep when it was almost dead, and then administered a sleeping potion after tying it up, and so for the moment it's asleep. It had 21HP when they managed to get the sleep spell to land, so it's pretty banged up. They managed to get it out of the dungeon and tied it to the cart they brought along, but they all rolled very poorly for then skill checks to tie it up.

It's now evening, and they have a 1/2 day of travel to get back to the city where they'll meet the baddie. The party it pretty banged up because of the fight with the queen spider and it's giant spider guards, and so they'll be looking to do a long rest is my guest.

I'm now wondering what to do when we pick up next session to keep the journey back / long rest interesting. The spider is pretty hurt, so even if it does escape, I can't see it doing a whole lot of damage in it's current state, and I don't really want to force them to kill it as they really did work hard to subdue it in a non lethal way.

Any ideas that the goon hive mind have would be much appreciated!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
On the way back an even bigger predator can smell the spider and wants it for food. A rival tries to ambush them and steal the spider. The party is stopped by local guards for illegally transporting monstrous wildlife. The giant spider’s egg sac breaks while they’re near or in a settlement.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
It can work itself free and flee into the woods but leave a trail they can follow. Make it a skill challenge or introduce chase/tracking mechanics.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Spider Queen can talk somehow and offers to team-up against the bad person.

edit: I'm picturing a Mass Effect Rachni situation here.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I like these ideas. I'm actually thinking of combining a couple. Perhaps a predator smells the injured spider, and while the party fights it off, the spider wriggles free of the poor bindings and into the wild.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

I like these ideas. I'm actually thinking of combining a couple. Perhaps a predator smells the injured spider, and while the party fights it off, the spider wriggles free of the poor bindings and into the wild.

If the PCs have to capture the spider again it'll feel unwarranted and repetitive and repetitive gameplay is a really, really bad thing in tabletop RPGs. Add a new complication instead of making them do something again.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Arivia posted:

If the PCs have to capture the spider again it'll feel unwarranted and repetitive and repetitive gameplay is a really, really bad thing in tabletop RPGs. Add a new complication instead of making them do something again.

To change things up for the second time around, maybe the spider escapes while the players are preoccupied with something, and once they go searching they find their spider being attacked by bandits or monsters or something, and the spider becomes friendlier out of gratitude for being saved. This also creates a conflict for the players who will be choosing between completing their original mission or hanging out with their new spider pal and bring them into conflict with the local baddie, which I assume is the eventual goal anyways?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Arivia posted:

That makes sense - good advice.

lightrook posted:

To change things up for the second time around, maybe the spider escapes while the players are preoccupied with something, and once they go searching they find their spider being attacked by bandits or monsters or something, and the spider becomes friendlier out of gratitude for being saved. This also creates a conflict for the players who will be choosing between completing their original mission or hanging out with their new spider pal and bring them into conflict with the local baddie, which I assume is the eventual goal anyways?

Yeah, that's a great idea. Perhaps the spider escapes out of fear and is in fight or flight mode, when the party have to come to its aid against the predator. After (hopefully) successfully working together and maybe a decent animal handling check, the spider become more friendly to the party.

The baddie (who the party think is human but is actually an oni in human form) is definitely one of the eventual goals of the group, and a sub-boss of the BBEG. It would be great if the party could leverage the spider to fight with them against the Oni and his goons.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Spider queen should tell the party she is actually a human princess cursed by an evil god and "oh can you please help me I'm sure the king will reward you if you return me to him"

She actually just eats the king if you bring her to the palace.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rutibex posted:

Spider queen should tell the party she is actually a human princess cursed by an evil god and "oh can you please help me I'm sure the king will reward you if you return me to him"

She actually just eats the king if you bring her to the palace.

King dies at the hand of the spider who then immediately polymorphs back into his original form: A fly

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd personally be annoyed if I went to all that trouble to catch the spider and it escaped, especially if the DM was clearly fishing for rolls to let it escape again for plot reasons.

I really like the suggestion that the spider becomes the sexy lamp for every rival on the way back, that way you're building on your players successes rather than negating them.

Also 7 players? You have my admiration and sympathy in equal measure.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I have to agree. If a bunch of contrived stuff happens and the spider gets away, as a player I'd assume that the DM just didn't want us to do that and is too shy to tell us out loud.
Whatever happens should feel like an added risk but not a negation of what they already did.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
They don't set watches in this party for long rests despite having 7 PCs? Because some of the suggestions so far seem to assume the spider gets away while they're asleep. If it were my game, the person on watch notices when the spider is partly free and there's a scramble to secure or subdue it without killing it, while being banged up. That does run the risk of "I wake up and cast Sleep again," but I think it's more interesting to have the players try to figure out how to better secure it without harm in the middle of the night.

If you really want to cause trouble, the spider manages to damage the cart in some way and they have to improvise repairs. But that kind of thing can be fun with one group and deadly dull with another, so you have to pick your challenges based on what your players are likely to enjoy.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Alright, mid term is tomorrow and my books are on their way; I can finally start putting my campaign into motion, my plans into fruition.

Problem: Finding four people in my friend group who can play at the same time! I so far for sure have 3. I'm really hoping for 4.

My plan is to run a couple of one-shots; primarily from the XP to Level 3 content Quest-o-nomicon which has a bunch of adventures for low level play. I'll introduce my own additional homebrew and variation rules in a relatively low stakes short campaign and use that to get feedback quickly as to what works and what to rework as we move along towards the Big Homebrew Campaign.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Good luck, homebrew DM

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

:toot:

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

An interesting little preview about the Dragonlance options.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1364-dragonlance-backgrounds-and-feats-answer-the-call

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Well skip Mounted Combatant and be elf-ish because the Squire of Solamnia feat gives probably (proficiency bonus) free advantages to attack per long rest and that combines with Elven Accuracy delightfully. Requires Fighter or Paladin but Paladin is where double advantage shines anyway.

Just cast Find Steed again after the lack of mount protection gets your mount killed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, finally had my first session the other night, including a two-part fight with 8 giant spiders and a wizard’s cat familiar.

…We took at least as much damage from friendly fire as we did from the enemies, and the familiar managed to one-shot someone from full HP with a lucky crit by the DM.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I missed it somehow, but a look at the Lunar Sorcerer as well

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1366-lunar-sorcery-sorcerer-preview-from-dragonlance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I've been running a game for my two buds for a bit. They've hit level six and have been exploring a super old ruin embedded into a mountain. I want to give the Artificer something neat and unique as an item since the ranger got a sweet sword randomly.

He's a Battle Smith with a Steel Defender and seems to really like his robo-friend and my idea was some kind of ancient mechanical module that could plug into the Defender and give it a new ability, problem is I'm not sure what would be fun but not out of control. My first idea was having it sprout a lightning gun that would let it use Force-Empowered Rend at range but that seems a little weak? I'd love any ideas from the thread because I'm a bit stuck.