Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
You have to season the meat before you cook it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If something makes you happy, doesn't affect anybody else negatively, and wouldn't strain your resources to get it, go ahead and get it fam.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm also glad the Pagaga emote is cash shop because I don't really like playing in Bozja

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

most of the seasonal event mounts and glam are cool, and it's unfortunate that they decided to make them a limited time thing before shuffling them off to the cash shop the following year.

like, someone who isn't playing or can't play right now is gonna miss out on a pretty sweet coat and head piece (don't @ me), and if they want it they'll have to pay out for it next year. that's kind of a bummer!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tekopo posted:

Imagine having to help people in mentor roulette, smh

If you get dragged into an Extreme by a mentor roulette (mercifully, it doesn't include Savages), chances are pretty good they can't be helped the way they want within an hour's time.

If it's Ifrit, Titan or Leviathan, or one of the 'psuedo-Extremes' like Ultima Weapon or Odin, they can probably fail forward into eventual success via Echo buffs. Anything else... well, the main thing you can teach them about is the vote abandon tool and 'use Party Finder next time'.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Thundarr posted:

If something makes you happy, doesn't affect anybody else negatively, and wouldn't strain your resources to get it, go ahead and get it fam.

You cheated not only the glam, but yourself. You didn't discover. You didn't achieve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow purchase. Nothing was crafted and nothing was farmed. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dareon posted:

I have a very mild negative reaction when I notice someone using cash shop stuff, hardly even enough to mention, because... hmm... it proves nothing, I guess? Spending more money on a game is not the flex some people think it is.

That's good because people generally don't buy cash shop stuff in ffxiv to flex.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vitamean posted:

most of the seasonal event mounts and glam are cool, and it's unfortunate that they decided to make them a limited time thing before shuffling them off to the cash shop the following year.

like, someone who isn't playing or can't play right now is gonna miss out on a pretty sweet coat and head piece (don't @ me), and if they want it they'll have to pay out for it next year. that's kind of a bummer!

On the other hand, other MMOs just... don't give you any recourse whatsoever if you weren't around for a given holiday event.

Is it ideal? No, of course not. But I'd much rather have "if you weren't around, you can get this outfit for like five bucks next year" than "you weren't around for those two specific weeks, get hosed Literally Forever" like the competition.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

On the other hand, other MMOs just... don't give you any recourse whatsoever if you weren't around for a given holiday event.

Is it ideal? No, of course not. But I'd much rather have "if you weren't around, you can get this outfit for like five bucks next year" than "you weren't around for those two specific weeks, get hosed Literally Forever" like the competition.

back when ARR first launched, they allowed you to buy old 1.0 event rewards from a vendor during the corresponding event, so there was definitely a solution at the time.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I just wish the Mogstation glams were account-wide

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I just wish a pair of sandals that I bought for my very specific "beach atire with sandals with sock" glam were not gender-locked.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I flex how pretty and fashionable I am and some of that is from the mogstation

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

If you get dragged into an Extreme by a mentor roulette (mercifully, it doesn't include Savages), chances are pretty good they can't be helped the way they want within an hour's time.

If it's Ifrit, Titan or Leviathan, or one of the 'psuedo-Extremes' like Ultima Weapon or Odin, they can probably fail forward into eventual success via Echo buffs. Anything else... well, the main thing you can teach them about is the vote abandon tool and 'use Party Finder next time'.

They're in the roulette for a reason, if you're not ready to queue into them, don't use the roulette. I did basically all the extremes via duty finder until about Stormblood, and the only reason they were ever difficult to learn or perform was mentors not wanting to be there, when people did, they went by fast and relatively simple. Maybe you couldn't really do it for modern extremes, but by that point people probably know how to play the game if they're queueing into actual current extremes and you can use macros and stuff.

Perhaps it would help if the mentor required synced clears of all relevant content.

Edit: this attitude (I shouldn't do these things in mentor roulette and instead just push people to vote abandon and PF it) is part of why people think Mentors generally kind of suck.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 25, 2022

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Madmarker posted:

My personal issue is that I play games to achieve and discover. I want to see the cool thing and then go through the steps to obtain it.

This is fine. You have a specific way that you enjoy games and don't want cash shop stuff since that doesn't fit with the way you enjoy games.

Madmarker posted:

I do think less of any player I see rocking cash shop swag.

This is kind of lovely. Other people can enjoy games differently than you. Someone might have a pretty limited amount of time for games, but still want cool stuff. Instead of spending time grinding for a mount/glamour, they prefer to buy something off the cash shop. It doesn't "take away" from anything you might get in-game, since the shop has different items anyway that probably wouldn't even exist if the shop didn't exist. You can judge FFXIV for offering the store, fair enough, but don't judge your fellow players just because they have different priorities than you do.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Genovera posted:

This is fine. You have a specific way that you enjoy games and don't want cash shop stuff since that doesn't fit with the way you enjoy games.

This is kind of lovely. Other people can enjoy games differently than you. Someone might have a pretty limited amount of time for games, but still want cool stuff. Instead of spending time grinding for a mount/glamour, they prefer to buy something off the cash shop. It doesn't "take away" from anything you might get in-game, since the shop has different items anyway that probably wouldn't even exist if the shop didn't exist. You can judge FFXIV for offering the store, fair enough, but don't judge your fellow players just because they have different priorities than you do.

Also I recall hearing at one point that none of the subscription money actually was going to FFXIV until recently, but the cash shop purchases was.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

According to that FFXIV census site, almost 400,000 players own the Lunar Whale

E: Actually perhaps I should say almost 400,000 characters own it, since the mounts are account-wide, so it doesn't represent quite so much money spent.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 25, 2022

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The lunar whale is a novelty bearing the prestigious honor of being the only 8 person mount.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I recall hearing at one point that none of the subscription money actually was going to FFXIV until recently, but the cash shop purchases was.

Tbh I feel like this is a nonfactor in this discussion no matter which side you take, because only a tiny fraction of people know this, I would be shocked to find out if most people buying cash shop items were doing so to plug up a development drain. And also like, it shouldn't. Idk like if it's just true that ffxiv doesn't get ample funding from monthly fees and other non-cash shop avenues that doesn't really seem like the community's responsibility to address. Especially now that yoship is one of the big wigs at SE.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

As long as they don't put savage mount recolors or whatever in the shop I don't see the problem. And I don't think they will ever do that anyways.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What I wonder about is what's going on with the Korean/Chinese builds of FFXIV which clearly exist given that that's where a significant fraction of cash shop items are. Are those just on their own separate island or does Korea play on JP servers? (I assume China is their own thing outside of Taiwan (#1) of course.)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/EpicUrianger/status/1584730071260364800?s=20&t=RctJPjItySLMK4uZyHJ-TA

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nessus posted:

What I wonder about is what's going on with the Korean/Chinese builds of FFXIV which clearly exist given that that's where a significant fraction of cash shop items are. Are those just on their own separate island or does Korea play on JP servers? (I assume China is their own thing outside of Taiwan (#1) of course.)

Korea also has its own thing, or at least plugins require specific patches for KR and CN offsets.

Also fun fact, the Lotus mount was previously CN only!

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Onean posted:

It's not a blanket ban on mounts and emotes, and not all of the furniture and clothing is spared. It's just the single-character stuff. All emotes fall under that banner, unfortunately, but a large chunk of mounts don't. It's just the holiday mounts, furniture and outfits that do, since they were character specific to start with. The non-holiday mounts are account-wide, and giftable.

As far as I can tell this is not true, there are no mounts that can be gifted. I tried with a couple I don't own, and there's no gift option. Trying with one I do own won't let me proceed to purchase because I already own it.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Control Volume posted:

You cheated not only the glam, but yourself. You didn't discover. You didn't achieve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow purchase. Nothing was crafted and nothing was farmed. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

It's not a shortcut if the item is unobtainable by other means currently.

Like am I sad I missed the ffxv crossover event that allows me to get the regalia? Yes. Am I going to purchase it as soon as it hits the cash shop? Also yes. If that makes you "think less" of me, you can get hosed my dude. :)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DelphiAegis posted:

It's not a shortcut if the item is unobtainable by other means currently.

Like am I sad I missed the ffxv crossover event that allows me to get the regalia? Yes. Am I going to purchase it as soon as it hits the cash shop? Also yes. If that makes you "think less" of me, you can get hosed my dude. :)

I think you missed the joke.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

parasyte posted:

As far as I can tell this is not true, there are no mounts that can be gifted. I tried with a couple I don't own, and there's no gift option. Trying with one I do own won't let me proceed to purchase because I already own it.

Yeah, this can be verified by going to the Lotus mount:

Compare that to a MSQ boost:

It is literally about the multi-use nature of a given item, not the account-wide nature. You cannot use a given mount's whistle or emote's book twice, so the system prevents gifting of those items.

It's odd that boosts are allowed, but I guess the idea is that the chocobo feathers and allagan plat are what you're allowing? Seems antithetical to the justification (that the lockdowns are to prevent RMT), but eh. It's pretty obviously a fraud prevention method more than anything (stopping buying codes with stolen CCs -> reselling codes for lower than mogstation price).

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Nessus posted:

Not only is China's setup it's own thing, they had their own substantial issues when it first came to them (YouTube playlist). Of notable interest is the really early quest that asks you to fill out the left side of your gear with ilvl 5 or better gear. There was some disconnect between the culture of the players and the quest design that there was a significant portion of the player base that couldn't get past it since they thought it was bugged and uncompletable. There were also a bunch of other issues that caused problems, and just like FFXIV 1.0 for everyone else, the first implementation of ARR almost completely tanked the release and threatened it being shutdown in the country.

parasyte posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, this can be verified by going to the Lotus mount:

Compare that to a MSQ boost:

It is literally about the multi-use nature of a given item, not the account-wide nature. You cannot use a given mount's whistle or emote's book twice, so the system prevents gifting of those items.

It's odd that boosts are allowed, but I guess the idea is that the chocobo feathers and allagan plat are what you're allowing? Seems antithetical to the justification (that the lockdowns are to prevent RMT), but eh. It's pretty obviously a fraud prevention method more than anything (stopping buying codes with stolen CCs -> reselling codes for lower than mogstation price).

Ah, I misunderstood that then, drat. That's way more restrictive than I thought.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 25, 2022

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Onean posted:

Ah, I misunderstood that then, drat. That's way more restrictive than I thought.

It's cool, I've seen a lot of misreadings in the same vein.

It's really clear from my perspective as someone who's worked in fraud prevention that this is basically a loss prevention move - people buying "gifts" with stolen CCs and similar, then reselling as RMT while SE eats the loss when the theft victim fires a chargeback. It just has a seriously far-reaching collateral damage by killing gifting of the majority of things people DO gift.

Like, my partner and I do a gift exchange each year where we get each other a mount, an outfit, and an emote, plus one bonus thing. This nearly completely kills that, as the only thing we could do of that is outfits (which are multi-use insomuch as that you could use multiple copies on one character for varying dyes in the dresser, etc).

E: It's also interesting timing because what about right now has made this an untenable situation when gifting has been around for a few years at this point?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cleretic posted:

It really depends on what role the mentee(s) are: DPS > tank >> healer. I've ripped through garuda ex in one or two pulls.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm only mad about the FFXIV store when they put things up for sale after i bought them.

like 7 hours after i bought them. like the halloween stuff i bought literally last night :negative:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onean posted:

Not only is China's setup it's own thing, they had their own substantial issues when it first came to them (YouTube playlist).
these issues cannot possibly be funny enough to make me click...

quote:

Of notable interest is the really early quest that asks you to fill out the left side of your gear with ilvl 5 or better gear. There was some disconnect between the culture of the players and the quest design that there was a significant portion of the player base that couldn't get past it since they thought it was bugged and uncompletable.
...yeah okay lmao I will click on this and watch it

e: aww they couldn't figure out "click on one of the rewards to select it, then click Complete"

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 25, 2022

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The real mount travesty is putting the Garo mount behind Frontline wins (since Rival Wings may as well not exist). Jesus christ I hate Frontlines so much, it's a loving uncontrollable mess. Why does the game not clearly signal when the drones are going to spawn in Cartenau Flats? Why did they make the mode 3 teams so the team in last can always drag down the team in second like a crab bucket?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of Frontlines, regarding the 200 wins Allagan ball mount: the achievement says something like "get 200 wins with any of the Grand Companies". In practice does that mean I have to get 200 wins as a member of the Flames, or does 100 Flames wins and 100 Mael wins count?

I ask because only now, after all these years, am I approaching 100 wins in Frontlines.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cartenau Flats is the one map that consistently takes the most time to decide the winner and I hate it so much for it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrosiris posted:

E: It's also interesting timing because what about right now has made this an untenable situation when gifting has been around for a few years at this point?
It could be an implementation of something planned for a while, sort of a more benign version of all the NFT projects appearing that were clearly pitched when people were ga-ga for apes. :v: Perhaps there are also various international regulations that are changing or stepping up and they're trying to avoid a case of being involved?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Ahhh my Chronicles of Light book came today! It's perfect

E: Well it doesn't include the Shadowbringer or Endwalker stories, but still

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 25, 2022

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of Frontlines, regarding the 200 wins Allagan ball mount: the achievement says something like "get 200 wins with any of the Grand Companies". In practice does that mean I have to get 200 wins as a member of the Flames, or does 100 Flames wins and 100 Mael wins count?

I ask because only now, after all these years, am I approaching 100 wins in Frontlines.

the former, i'm pretty sure. i think you can go to the GC category and match up which one you have the most wins in to the overall tally one and the others will be lower and not add to the overall tally

like i think i have 20 with adder and flames both then 90 with mael and mount chieve is at 90/200

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

the former, i'm pretty sure. i think you can go to the GC category and match up which one you have the most wins in to the overall tally one and the others will be lower and not add to the overall tally

like i think i have 20 with adder and flames both then 90 with mael and mount chieve is at 90/200

Well that's a shame. I guess I'll just stay Flames for the next, uh, four or five years.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: aww they couldn't figure out "click on one of the rewards to select it, then click Complete"
Pretty sure that UI took me a minute the first time I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

OddObserver posted:

Pretty sure that UI took me a minute the first time I saw it.

To be fair, it did throw me off for a minute the first time too since prior quests gave you all listed rewards and the UI for "pick one" is nearly identical.

Still crazy to think enough people could get stuck on it to risk the entire game rollout in a region though.