Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So is Polygon saying Bayonetta is a trad wife now or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i regularly forget luka exists

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Milhouse from that one Assassin's Creed Odyssey DLC is gonna show up and Bayonetta marries him and has a kid in a cutscene.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Looper posted:

i regularly forget luka exists

I at least remember him more than budget Joe Pesci

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm replaying Bayonetta 1 right now. I've bought it 3x at this point but I'm playing on a hacked switch so nothing is unlocked. I'm doing sort of ok but still dying a lot. Anyway: the plot is not very good but the combat is excellent. "if all you want is button-mashing combat" (or whatever the review said): yes that's me. I even tried reading the background story stuff and it's very, very bad and not interesting. The plot I get in cutscenes is bad enough. I was doing the first Joy fight last night and it had this fairly cringey 'sexy dance-off' (see below).
So it's definitely not a game you play for the engaging plot. The best bits are the action, amazingly fluid gameplay, the sense of overall fairness (you have infinite lives, who cares, just try again!) and the ridiculous stuff in the cutscenes where entire buildings collapse, cities turn into flame pits etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Givv2SwAgDA

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eurogamer's review more or less said the game is a mess but a spectacular one, which is more or less exactly what I want from Platinum so I'm hyped

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Buttons are to be pressed, not mashed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Going to ignore any parts of reviews that comment on the Bayonetta 3 characters. This is going to come across as a hot take, but Bayonetta 1 & 2 had pretty nuanced and complex character writing that most reviewers completely missed or flew over their heads. The storyline might have been really basic, but Bayonetta has been a very complicated and well written character with themes explored that have really not been done in games before. The only review i've really seen that understands her correctly was from GameTrailers (RIP) for the Wii U review.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Buttons are to be pressed, not mashed

Unless you play on the easiest difficulty, then the game presses them for you.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The best character is Enzo

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Going to ignore any parts of reviews that comment on the Bayonetta 3 characters. This is going to come across as a hot take, but Bayonetta 1 & 2 had pretty nuanced and complex character writing that most reviewers completely missed or flew over their heads. The storyline might have been really basic, but Bayonetta has been a very complicated and well written character with themes explored that have really not been done in games before. The only review i've really seen that understands her correctly was from GameTrailers (RIP) for the Wii U review.

I believe that Bayonetta's plot shouldn't be taken too seriously. That being said, if we want to take it seriously, then I have to say that the Polygon reviewer seems to have a bit of an one sided view of Bayonetta. She seems to be ignoring that Bayonetta, Luka and Cereza already act like some weird family in the 1st game and she flirts with Luka throughout. It really wouldn't be that out of the blue if she gets together with Luka in the end, which the review seems to be hinting at. Also consider how much time she spends looking after children in these games. That also doesn't quite fit the "independent BDSM queen" image.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Looks like the Uncharted collection bombed.

Every comment online seems to amount to "maybe release the first three games in a series and don't start with 4" but we'll see what Sony manages to learn other than the actual lesson here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The one on the top sellers list on Steam with 90% positive reviews?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

exquisite tea posted:

The one on the top sellers list on Steam with 90% positive reviews?

Yeah the one with 10,000 peak concurrent player count. Lower than any other Sony release it seems. I love Uncharted but mixed with the little to no marketing not releasing the trilogy first was a Bad Call.

E: https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1584595582538088449?t=t9aafv80XnmgKt84Vx707A&s=19

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 25, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think the Bayo games have great (or even good) stories but the character arcs are fun enough. I can obviously see a queer reading with Bayonetta, at least with her and Jeanne, but the game writing itself fully focuses on them being "really good friends" and the flirting towards Luca becomes more concrete by the end of Bayo 2 so having that become more explicit of a relationship isn't surprising or devastating IMO. I have to pretend characters are more gay than they are all the time and I will continue doing so for Bayonetta. It's also important to remember the character was designed by a woman but is absolutely driven by the whims of a very straight man who wants to be stepped on by her. The gameplay of 3 looks pretty great but I'll probably see how emulator performance is before deciding whether to grab it right away or not since I like the DMC games and Revengeance more overall than Bayo.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bayonetta 3
Victoria 3
Frog Detective 3

This is the Week of Threes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Lots of threes this year in general

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes you gotta protect your headcanon, I get it, but you shouldn't let that stuff ruin a game for ya.

I like to imagine Bayonetta spends her days off selling ice cream to kids and it's hard work but she enjoys it. I ignore all combat in the games to accomplish this.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I said come in! posted:

I think that's the reviewer's issue with 3. She loved the characters in 1 and 2 but it seems like 3 ruins what the first 2 games built.

Seeing the replies to the review on social media, it looks like a bunch of people also seem concerned about the game after reading it, so it's not like no one cares about that. I'm not too familiar with the queer readings in the series, but I'm not going to doubt her views on it.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 25, 2022

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
i think its weird to want the two characters who call each other "sister" all the time to smooch

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

there's something that i feel like i could say about ppl reacting negatively to a character that reads as bi ending up with a man (that they could maybe chill out, for example), but again, none of us have played bayo 3 yet, so IDK what actually happens

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is it one of those situations where the character is bi but people only think that's valid if she engages in same sex relationships exclusively, so her having a straight relationship throws everything into question? Or does Bayo turn towards the audience and loudly state that she only likes men and women are icky?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

I think that's the reviewer's issue with 3. She loved the characters in 1 and 2 but it seems like 3 ruins what the first 2 games built.

Seeing the replies to the review on social media, it looks like a bunch of people also seem concerned about the game after reading it, so it's not like no one cares about that. I'm not too familiar with the queer readings in the series, but I'm not going to doubt her views on it.

That is fair! Many of the reviews for Bayonetta 2 were annoying and bad, so I wanted to avoid reading them for Bayo 3. Game releases this Friday, so we'll all know soon enough and can form our own opinions.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

I said come in! posted:

That is fair! Many of the reviews for Bayonetta 2 were annoying and bad, so I wanted to avoid reading them for Bayo 3. Game releases this Friday, so we'll all know soon enough and can form our own opinions.

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I definitely don't want to seem like I'm trying to jump on you, so apologies if it came off that way. Like you said, we'll see soon enough.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

Oh yeah, I agree with you. I definitely don't want to seem like I'm trying to jump on you, so apologies if it came off that way. Like you said, we'll see soon enough.

You're okay! I appreciate your perspective and the tone didn't come across as attacking at all!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the victoria 3 map is... unbeleivable...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did they forget Orkney again

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah the one with 10,000 peak concurrent player count. Lower than any other Sony release it seems. I love Uncharted but mixed with the little to no marketing not releasing the trilogy first was a Bad Call.

E: https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1584595582538088449?t=t9aafv80XnmgKt84Vx707A&s=19

Concurrent player count is a weird metric to measure a single player game on.

Also it likely still covered the costs of the port job

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

Concurrent player count is a weird metric to measure a single player game on.

Also it likely still covered the costs of the port job

Oh sure, no doubt port costs were covered, but making a splash was probably what they were hoping for, and I think concurrent player numbers at release can be a good metric for that. Uncharted's was lower than Days Gone, which peaked at almost 30k.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 25, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Uncharted 4 on PC also doesn't have multiplayer. :(

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

For reference

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1584493802173403137?t=DudU58WyU6lJGYc6l8wV-A&s=19

I said come in! posted:

Uncharted 4 on PC also doesn't have multiplayer. :(

Also a very unfortunate choice

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If they released the Uncharted 1-3 collection on PC I would have been on that immediately, but I have no real desire to just play 4 by itself.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just please give me Demon's Souls Remake, and Returnal on PC.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Volte posted:

If they released the Uncharted 1-3 collection on PC I would have been on that immediately, but I have no real desire to just play 4 by itself.

Basically what everyone is saying now, it really sucks. The trilogy is moored on that ill famed old console island, along with the Sly Cooper series and, reaching across the isle, the Fable games. I wish the companies weren't trying to make streaming work, the input lag etc do not make it a valid alternative to re releases.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Did they forget Orkney again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The release of Victoria 3 crashed steampowered.com.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Playing in terrain map mode? That's a yikes

Unless it's doing the ck3 thing of showing terrain when zoomed in and county colours when zoomed out

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
French people really love Geoguessr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNB7zyaQzGI

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Playing in terrain map mode? That's a yikes

Unless it's doing the ck3 thing of showing terrain when zoomed in and county colours when zoomed out

it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is victoria 3 good for people that are stupid and do not have map game experience except for stellaris asking for a friend