Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Endorph posted:

This is a thing that actually happens in Japan, which is why there's the disconnect between the JP audio and what the dub VAs get paid.

JP fees also have their own weirdness--broadcast appearances are unionized but often the lowest-paying roles for the main cast, with a union scale that starts sub-$100 per session but then scales heavily on active years in the industry. I'm not hugely familiar with the interaction with the games side compared to the record industry/live entertainment side, but can confirm that there's definitely a thing where side products not covered under that contract get a hefty premium to bring the total compensation to what a young star can demand from what the fixed rate is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Showbiz in general can be extremely weird with different forms of media that are distributed in different ways, often which no one saw coming and so older contract stuff was not written with that in mind. And that's before you get into poo poo like Hollywood accounting.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

Have you ever once bought a game solely based on who was voicing the main character?

Personally no. Some Genshin Impact players will absolutely spend a game's worth of $ on character pulls largely or entirely because of a voice actress.

Industry news, kind of. Apparently devs are getting tired of targeting the Series S.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/developer-claims-many-studios-are-asking-xbox-to-drop-mandatory-series-s-compatibility/

quote:

Maclure, who worked on last year’s Xbox Series X/S and PC game I Am Fish at Bossa, which also develops and publishes the Surgeon Simulator series, responded: “It might sound broken, but the reason you are hearing it a lot right now is because MANY developers have been sitting in meetings for the past year desperately trying to get Series S launch requirements dropped.

“Studios have been through one development cycle where Series S turned out to be an albatross around the neck of production, and now that games are firmly being developed with new consoles in mind, teams do not want to repeat the process,” added Maclure, whose tweets were publicly available earlier today but have since been protected so that only approved followers can see them.

I get it. This article is just from a couple indies so "many" is probably an overstatement. Curious if AAA publishers give a drat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I doubt that Microsoft really cares because the series s is selling really well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heran Bago posted:

Personally no. Some Genshin Impact players will absolutely spend a game's worth of $ on character pulls largely or entirely because of a voice actress.

Industry news, kind of. Apparently devs are getting tired of targeting the Series S.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/developer-claims-many-studios-are-asking-xbox-to-drop-mandatory-series-s-compatibility/

I get it. This article is just from a couple indies so "many" is probably an overstatement. Curious if AAA publishers give a drat.

I mean that article talks about a dev on Gotham Knights losing his poo poo about it. The AAA publishers might not care but it sure sounds like the developers having to make the Series S work on AAA games do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I highly doubt the series s is what lead to the issues Gotham knight had.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gotham Knights was originally supposed to ship on the PS4 and Xbox One, the Series S was the least of their problems

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The real problem with the xbox series s is that I always have to look up which is the newer one, the series s or series x. Console naming conventions are dumb as heck

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Arivia posted:

I mean that article talks about a dev on Gotham Knights losing his poo poo about it. The AAA publishers might not care but it sure sounds like the developers having to make the Series S work on AAA games do.

In a major AAA studio any given dev has lost their poo poo about anything you can imagine. A single coder getting frustrated is just a dude at work.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
e: didn't realise which thread I was in, deleting.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

ilmucche posted:

The real problem with the xbox series s is that I always have to look up which is the newer one, the series s or series x. Console naming conventions are dumb as heck

Microsoft's naming conventions (or lack thereof) are idiotic. 1,2,3,3.1,95,98,ME,XP,Vista,7,8,10,11

cubicle gangster posted:

In a major AAA studio any given dev has lost their poo poo about anything you can imagine. A single coder getting frustrated is just a dude at work.

Yeah devs have complained about hardware limitations since the first line of code was written. I suspect Ada Lovelace was like "if only this difference engine had 7 more gearfeet I could play tic-tac-toe better"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I hope this isn't straying into discourse, but what's Microsoft demanding that makes the Xbox so hard to develop for

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I hope this isn't straying into discourse, but what's Microsoft demanding that makes the Xbox so hard to develop for

It's mostly that the Series S is far lower spec then the X/PS5, developed as a cheaper option to upgrade from the previous generation that is also what a bunch of folks wound up with because lol getting a PS5 or Series X during the first 18 months of release without jumping through some hoops. It's what everyone complained about the Wii or Switch being for multisystem ports except I'm pretty sure Microsoft requires any game released for one to run on both the S and the X.

This honestly has nothing to do with why the Gothem Knights team is complaining but they need a scapegoat for why their game runs like rear end on every platform besides 'we hosed up' and the Series S is right there so eh.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ilmucche posted:

I think it's just MS console naming conventions. Sony and Nintendo seem pretty straightforward.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Soonmot posted:

We've had some discussion on this over in the Xbox thread and it may be better suited over there? Here is a standout post from forums user univbee. Tldr maybe it's a RAM thing? Idk I'm not good at computers.

univbee posted:

The main issue with RAM isn't so much the graphics as it is what's happening under the hood. Games wanting to do new things need resources to do it and RAM is a big one, which is why every console generation until this one has been a 4-8x increase in RAM, and reminder that's one of the big reasons why Xbox was as cocky as they were leading up to the Xbox One's launch (they thought the XB1 would have double the PS4's RAM and went with slower RAM to hit the 8gb number, but then Sony last minute managed to bump the PS4 to 8gb as well). Going from 8gb of RAM to...8gb isn't the news some devs were hoping for, especially since the XB1X even had more (12gb).

To highlight RAM's importance and how it's not just a graphics thing, the original version of Dwarf Fortress had no "graphics" to speak of and renders entirely using ASCII text, which some DOS games in the 80s and very early 90s also did. Dwarf Fortress, however, is doing things complex enough that it needs a full gig of RAM to do it, when every 80s-90s ASCII game works with half a meg of RAM or even less. Despite how it looks you couldn't accurately back-port Dwarf Fortress to even a powerful 486 or Pentium 1 from those days. Similarly there are some custom DOOM levels that specifically leverage the game's open source nature to run on upgraded ports of DOOM, and can't be back-ported to run on Vanilla DOOM without significant changes and simplifications, even though they're in many cases not actually adding new graphics or anything like that. John Romero's very own SIGIL was one of these, even, and he was one of the very few people who actually worked on Vanilla DOOM.

Assuming this is as big a problem as is being alluded to, my guess is that Microsoft will eventually allow a bit more of a split between the Series S and Series X versions of games, and may at some point do a silent Series S revision that gives it some tiny bumps like going to 12 or 16 gigs of RAM and having a 1tb internal drive (so a bit like what the XB1S did relative to the original VCR-style Bone). So still a pain in that devs will still need to build two versions, but at least there'll some flexibility for devs to "turn it up to 11" for the Series X version if they have a set mind about doing so. And as Rocksteady so eloquently displayed, some devs will gently caress it up no matter how much space magic processing power you give them.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Probably worth mentioning that the dev who blamed the Series S works at Rocksteady, but Rocksteady did not develop Gotham Knights, WB Montreal did. They were swooping in to provide a lame excuse for their sister studio, essentially.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Nintendo seem pretty straightforward.

WiiU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

That only confused grandparents and people that couldn't pay attention for more than 5 seconds

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Magmarashi posted:

That only confused grandparents and people that couldn't pay attention for more than 5 seconds

That name still killed the console stone dead.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

There was very little marketing for it compared to the Wii, and most of it just made it seem like an addon for the Wii because all it focused on was the touchpad controller. Outside of the extreme diehard Nintendo fans, pretty much everyone I knew thought it was an addon.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That name still killed the console stone dead.

I remember my bed at the time being 5 feet away from my Wii U console, and the tablet controller stopped working if I ever rolled over on my side away from the console

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is not the WiiU thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not opposed to talking about sales/financials but if you're going to speculate on why the WiiU failed it should probably be more concrete than "my friends didn't know what it was"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/CAGames/status/1584862234941227008

Total War devs are the latest company getting whistleblowed

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rarity posted:

https://twitter.com/CAGames/status/1584862234941227008

Total War devs are the latest company getting whistleblowed

"Former" and "Employee" is doing that passive voice thing the media does when it downplays police shootings.

I guess they had to say something as it's clear word was getting out to the press but there's a big difference between a VP/C-suite person doing it versus some QAII team lead.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

It also looks like they're making this public on their own, and they're using an external investigator. That's already a better reaction than other companies have had.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shooting Blanks posted:

It also looks like they're making this public on their own, and they're using an external investigator. That's already a better reaction than other companies have had.

Ex-employees were starting to talk on Twitter so it was only a matter of time before it got picked up anyway

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

pentyne posted:

"Former" and "Employee" is doing that passive voice thing the media does when it downplays police shootings.

I guess they had to say something as it's clear word was getting out to the press but there's a big difference between a VP/C-suite person doing it versus some QAII team lead.

That's not what passive voice means.

Active voice: a former employee abused some people.
Passive voice: some people were abused by a former employee.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

leper khan posted:

That's not what passive voice means.

Active voice: a former employee abused some people.
Passive voice: some people were abused by a former employee.

Or more specifically, when we complain about the passive voice in press releases it's more like "some people were abused" and removes all mention of who is responsible for it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Here's an article on at least some of what's going on

quote:

Developer Creative Assembly is acknowledging recent public allegations that the company did nothing in response to reports of sexual harassment filed against a key former employee.

[...]

Allegations against ex-character artist Baj Singh surfaced earlier in the week on social media. Several developers spoke about Singh's alleged former behavior, with former concept artist Sammi McEwan saying that Singh "systematically bullied and harassed so many of us."

So yeah it seems like this is less "getting ahead of it" and more "somehow in the froth of crap that is the internet at large, it's been viral for days and yet their statement is the first I've heard of it"

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

some other kind of news for a change

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1585650873090379777?s=20&t=WO08la-qpTIrr1J__my4BQ

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Too bad they don't disclose margins or the costs of that revenue.

On the other side of it, it sounds like deal terms are a bit flexible if you get on the platform. Though I also expect they pay significantly more for "larger" titles.

https://twistedvoxel.com/how-much-xbox-paid-bring-indie-title-game-pass/
https://www.pcgamer.com/xbox-chief-reveals-more-about-how-developers-earn-money-through-game-pass/

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/ign/status/1585689542903857179?s=46&t=3c7ae9iF4V0l1nGvmc2V_Q

This is the big major release for December, it’s super weird for a giant AAA title to not be getting released in one of the biggest gaming markets on Earth. Especially a country that loves horror games like Japan.

Basically “we’d rather just not release our game than release a game with violence toned down to the point that you’re asking us to tone it down to”

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 28, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theyre including japanese subtitles in the us/eu version so people can just import it. CERO is restrictive enough that they would have tooverhaul massive portions of the game if it really is that gory. japanese the last of us 2 is almost unrecognizable and it got a ton of complaints from japanese audiences due to all the censorship.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Well, this isn't what I expected to happen:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1586002385281122306

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Well, this isn't what I expected to happen:

No way the Bayonetta lady would be about anti-abortion organizations.

Huh. Looks like the Bayonetta lady is about anti-abortion organizations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Calling a billboard scheme a 'charity' is a choice of words.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

It's a Catholic org affiliated with a diocese in Louisville which is where most of their permanent billboards are. Of course they love to travel and bring those smaller ones on trailers and park them at events with a table nearby. This is a bizarre choice to me because I grew up having to see their poo poo.

Needless to say: very gross.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

List is

- shelter dogs
- London drama school
- Dog welfare charity
- Nonprofit big on veterans to help with disasters
- Landmines
- A Socal Catholic church
- Arts/theatre support
- This which needs to be quoted because uh.....not 100% sure if it's legit

quote:

Our mission is to help persecuted Christians worldwide. #RedWednesday Founders | Newsletter: http://ow.ly/glQo30l2SSF 💻 Get involved!
- Anti-abortion billboards

Benefit of the doubt and all, but it seems like an incredibly weird "charity" and to include a US based anti-abortion group in what is almost exclusively UK stuff and also a CA church.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

pentyne posted:

List is

- shelter dogs
- London drama school
- Dog welfare charity
- Nonprofit big on veterans to help with disasters
- Landmines
- A Socal Catholic church
- Arts/theatre support
- This which needs to be quoted because uh.....not 100% sure if it's legit

- Anti-abortion billboards

Benefit of the doubt and all, but it seems like an incredibly weird "charity" and to include a US based anti-abortion group in what is almost exclusively UK stuff and also a CA church.

Yeah, I"m hoping that is a typo because that seems really odd to include that in with the other great charities.